Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2012, 22:37   #1861
BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
It usually takes 24hrs, your box will get activated once your customer id is up, check by registering on their website and if its activated, you will be able to register.
After my mail, I got a call from Airtel activation team and they asked the STB number and card number which are available in the label under STB. After that, channels are activated within 15 minutes.

It seems their response to single mail is faster than several phone calls.

After viewing HD channels in 40" full HD LCD, wow.. the PQ is really good. The Digital SQ is also good but for some of the HD channels (like Movies now and some HD sports channels HD, NGC HD and etc) through 5.1 Home theatre.
Old 21st November 2012, 13:49   #1862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
They are I think. Airtel has them under the 'Free to Air' in the channels menu in a picture in picture design. I'm sure Videocon has it under some similar sounding name in their menus.
Thanks, I found them under Active Services - > Direct active - > Channel Active.
Old 21st November 2012, 14:52   #1863
Distinguished - BHPian

Airtel is playing tricks again. They have decided to swap two channels, star cricket and another one with some useless channels and are now asking for extra charges for Star Cricket. If this a fair thing? When they dont add new channels into our old package, they cant remove channels either. Firstly, the cable operator whom I know laughs at me stating that I have been paying extra charges unnecessarily. We have a reliable cable network in our area. As I had got the DTH connection with my TV, I decided to keep it. Moreover, at that time, there was no HD channels in Cable TV. Now, the cable guy says it is available. Moreover, he is offering all channels for less than 300 a month. Currently I pay roughly 350 for airtel. Only thing is that I should check if a HDMI compatible set top box is available with the cable operator. If that is positive and I get good number of HD channels, I will say a good bye to the Airtel DTH.
Old 12th December 2012, 19:15   #1864
BHPian

Sony Six HD and National Geographic adventure have turned up on AirTel. I'm noticing them only today. They may have been around for a while.

Clarity of Sony Six is quite poor for a HD channel and the aspect ratio is different from the rest.
Old 14th December 2012, 11:56   #1865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_bhai View Post
Everybodys talking about GSAT-10 and how it will benefit TATA Sky. If it is to be believed, there will be major upgrade in terms of number of channels +HD channels addition in coming months. Would be better if you can wait till Jan (3 more Months) and then take a call. We will know exactly what their strategy is by then! If they still continue to increase their rates with every channel addition, then it might be time to shift.
OK now I get it. I have a Tata Sky + HD box and two other SD connections. I received a call day before yesterday from Tata Sky, that they are doing direct wiring free of cost as otherwise we will not be able to get new channels. So the splitter was removed from my HD+ box (as I had installed it at launch time when they just added a splitter), direct wiring was done for 1 other box (the internal wiring in the house is now redundant). The third box is at a lower floor and not used much, so left it, as it would have involved a lot of complications (drilling, wires running across the house, etc). They installed another dish (standard type, not the HD type with perforation) as well - quite perplexing as all of it is apparently free of cost and nothing has been deducted from the account balance. So maybe only one HD/HD+ STB can be connected per dish. The dish as such can take 3 connections at max (1 HD + 2 SD maybe). Though they charged Rs 100 from the account as upgrade installation fee.

Another thing is I upgraded the second box also to HD+ and the charge for that was around Rs 6300. After installation I received a SMS that my account has aslo been recharged by some Rs 2300!? I didn't know it but apparently the box costs 3999 and the rest of the amount goes into your account. By the way I subscribe to semi-annual mega HD pack.

Last edited by jessie007 : 14th December 2012 at 12:14. Reason: info added
Old 14th December 2012, 12:28   #1866
Senior - BHPian

For chennai users, my cable guy said the HD DVR set top box is getting ready by this month end. The DVR box may cost upto 3k but the channel rates may be far more cheaper than DTH.

Will confirm sometime this month end.

I am holding on to DTH till i see some progress in set top box. I like them for no nonsense pricing so far in SD. But HD changes the picture.
Old 15th December 2012, 15:36   #1867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
Another thing is I upgraded the second box also to HD+ and the charge for that was around Rs 6300. After installation I received a SMS that my account has aslo been recharged by some Rs 2300!? I didn't know it but apparently the box costs 3999 and the rest of the amount goes into your account. By the way I subscribe to semi-annual mega HD pack.
Just to clarify the Rs 2300 credit into the account has now been debited as 'Activation Fee'.
Old 17th December 2012, 10:39   #1868
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I am YouScod18 customer (Note : its a cable operator STB connection and not DTH).
They have recently launched their HD version and i was planning to upgrade to a HD box. The package they are offereing is very good with 19 HD services.
I have two queries with their service :
1) Hows the quality compared to DTH like TataSky? especially for the HD services?
2) Does their STB support true multi-channel surround sound output like the ones from TataSky and Airtel?

Thanking you in advance
Regards,
djkher
Old 17th December 2012, 16:11   #1869
BHPian

I am told there are some 30 to 40+ new channels in HD on TS in the pipeline from Feb on wards, can anyone throw more light on this?
Old 17th December 2012, 18:50   #1870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
I am told there are some 30 to 40+ new channels in HD on TS in the pipeline from Feb on wards, can anyone throw more light on this?
I don't think so. The HD channels approved by the I&B ministry (pending launch) is around 10. Even if we be very optimistic there is no chance of getting more than 20 new HD channels by the end of 2013.
I am referring to the actual HD channels 1080i here and not the upscaled ones made to fool people.
Old 18th December 2012, 19:03   #1871
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
I don't think so. The HD channels approved by the I&B ministry (pending launch) is around 10. Even if we be very optimistic there is no chance of getting more than 20 new HD channels by the end of 2013.
I am referring to the actual HD channels 1080i here and not the upscaled ones made to fool people.
Well I got a call from TS inquiring about the wiring I had if they are with or without splitter, double cables running from the dish to the set top box etc. When questioned I was given this reply. For a second my reaction was "no kidding" Well i read this as "net new channels + upgrading existing channels not all of course to HD) This could total to 30 odd I guess.
Old 18th December 2012, 19:32   #1872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
Just to clarify the Rs 2300 credit into the account has now been debited as 'Activation Fee'.
When I converted to HD+, I used up the credited amount to recharge my account.
Old 18th December 2012, 20:03   #1873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
I dont know about I&B approvals. But we do get 20 proper HD channels on Hathway cable here in Bangalore for more than 6 months. None of them are upscaled ones as the difference can be made out easily. Of course, some channels such as Zee Cinema HD and Star Gold HD (Hindi) may be playing upscaled movies frequently mainly due to lack of content.
Old 18th December 2012, 20:48   #1874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post

I dont know about I&B approvals. But we do get 20 proper HD channels on Hathway cable here in Bangalore for more than 6 months. None of them are upscaled ones as the difference can be made out easily. Of course, some channels such as Zee Cinema HD and Star Gold HD (Hindi) may be playing upscaled movies frequently mainly due to lack of content.
I am not talking about the existing channels here but the channels to be launched in 2013.
I am currently on Airtel DigitalTV and getting the following HD channels-
1.Star Plus
2.Colors
3.Sony
4.Star World
5.Zee Cinema
6.Star Gold
7.Movies Now
8.Star Movies
9.Zee Studio
10.Star Cricket
11.ESPN
12.Ten Sports
13.Sony Six
14.Nat Geo
15.History TV18
16.Discovery
17.Zee TV

By upscaled ones i meant the channels cloned by dth operators as hd channels, some dth operators advertise they have 100 HD channels.

Last edited by k2max6 : 18th December 2012 at 20:56.
Old 19th December 2012, 09:33   #1875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
When I converted to HD+, I used up the credited amount to recharge my account.
Yes, as I have come to understand, this was as per a scheme earlier, which is not applicable now. On another note, yesterday only received a credit of Rs 750 for returning the old SD STB. When I had converted to HD+ earlier, there was no buy back scheme, now there is. Just for information the credit of the returned STB reflects in your account within 7 working days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks