Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2016, 21:17   #2461
BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Call the TataSky customer service and ask for the best deal they can offer.
Thanks, Anup! I called them up and they gave me a good deal with a pack that appears nowhere on their website but sounds suspiciously close to the top-end package except that it costs Rs. 3,100 less.

Have fixed up the installation for tomorrow.

I would have persisted with Airtel except for the fact that I will now get almost double the number of channels for roughly the same price and also because their website drives me insane.
Old 15th July 2016, 00:16   #2462
Senior - BHPian

Could you post a link to this, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Tata Sky also gives universal programmable remote now. If you don't have one, you can buy it from eBay. That's what I did for my older STBs.
Old 15th July 2016, 06:52   #2463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Sure.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/tata-sky-sd-s...-/302008720246

It has few basic functions for TV but I don't have to pick TV remote when I want to watch Tata Sky.

http://dreamdth.com/Thread-Update-Ta...Remote-Control

There is a similar universal remote for Tata Sky+ HD also.
Old 15th July 2016, 11:22   #2464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Tata Sky also gives universal programmable remote now. If you don't have one, you can buy it from eBay. That's what I did for my older STBs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Airtel & Tata Sky is coming with universal remote along with the STB, you don't need to buy a new one for the customization of keys. Am using Airtel and I've done this customization on the original remote 4 years back.

You can customize 5 keys

Power, Volume+/-, mute and source.

This is how to re map the keys.

STEP 1:

First of all you'll need to switch your DTH universal remote into learning mode. Press OK button (in Airtel Digital TV) or Select button (in Tata Sky) and number 2 button simultaneously on your universal remote for a few seconds. The LED on your remote will blink twice which means the remote is in learning mode now.

NOTE: In newer Tata Sky HD+ Transfer set top box, you'll need to press and hold Back button instead of Select button in above mentioned method.

STEP 2:

Now press the button on your universal remote which you want to program with your TV set. For example press Volume+ button.

Now place the universal remote and your TV remote in front of each other i.e. their LEDs should face each other. Make sure the distance between both remote LEDs must be between 3-6 cms.

Now press the same button on your TV remote. Since we pressed Volume+ button on DTH universal remote, press the same button i.e. Volume+ on your TV remote. The LED on your universal remote will again blink twice which means the button has been programmed successfully. If the light blinks 4 times, it means the button programming was not completed and you'll need to follow the above steps again.

STEP 3:

At last press OK button (in Airtel Digital TV) or Select button (in Tata Sky) to save the changes. The LED on universal remote will blink twice.

NOTE: In newer Tata Sky HD+ Transfer set top box, you'll need to press Back button instead of Select button to save changes.

STEP 4:

Now you can follow the same steps to program other buttons on your universal remote with your TV set.

Pls refer the source page for a detailed write up.

Source:
http://www.askvg.com/how-to-program-...h-your-tv-set/

Any point of time you can go back to factory settings by resetting the remote by doing this:

Tata Sky DTH Universal Remote Factory Reset Process

1. Press and hold Select and Blue buttons on your Tata Sky universal remote for a few seconds. The LED will blink twice.

NOTE: In newer set top boxes, you may need to press and hold Back and Blue buttons on your Tata Sky universal remote.

2. Release the buttons and press number buttons 6, 8 and 0 one by one quickly.

3. The LED will again blink twice and it'll reset the universal remote to factory settings.

Airtel Digital TV DTH Universal Remote Factory Reset Process

1. Press and hold OK and Red buttons on your ADTV universal remote for a few seconds. The LED will blink twice.

2. Release the buttons and press number buttons 9, 8 and 0 one by one quickly.

3. The LED will again blink twice and it'll reset the universal remote to factory settings.

Source:
http://www.askvg.com/how-to-reset-ai...tory-settings/

Hope this helps

Last edited by sajjt : 15th July 2016 at 11:27.
Old 16th July 2016, 09:38   #2465
BHPian

So I now have Tata Sky and I gotta say I am really impressed by the quality and number of channels (especially HD channels).

For me, the biggest revelation has been the quality of SD channels. Airtel's SD channels were grainy and pixellated and I had simply forgotten how good SD used to be. Now I can watch obscure vernacular music channels to my heart's content.

Sadly the installation was cumbersome and their customer service left me frustrated. An installation which I thought would take 30 minutes took over 3 hours.

My house has concealed wiring running from the terrace to the TV. Since I was using Airtel through this wiring, I assumed all the installer had to do was to fix the dish and connect the wire to this point some 15 feet away. However the installer insisted that because I used concealed wiring and since I opted for the HD Recording option, I needed to pay Rs. 900 extra for an amplifier/booster or else the signal quality would be weak.

I wasn't convinced with his argument, so I called up Tata Sky. The first time I asked what to do, they disconnected me. The second time, the lady kept the phone aside and chatted with her colleague. Finally on the third try, they connected me to someone knowledgeable who was as puzzled as I was and he said that I should do the standard (free) install and to contact customer service if it doesn't work.

The installer therefore rigged it up as per the standard install, fired up the set top box and showed me that the signal quality was poor. He then insisted I had two other options: 1) run a cable all the way down from the terrace and drill a hole in the window, or 2) cancel the subscription to get a full refund. On my insistence, I spoke to his superior who insisted I pay Rs. 900 for the amplifier/booster.

Finally I asked him to install the contraption after warning him that I will take the matter up with Tata Sky which he didn't like. He installed it and then to my surprise, he loosened the screws in the dish and began to adjust it for the signal. When I questioned him why the dish needs to be repointed, he turned evasive. After tinkering with the dish for a long time, the set top box downstairs started working fine.

By this time, the installer was furious. He told me gruffly that he would return in a couple of days to collect Rs. 1,200 including Rs. 300 extra for 3 meters of extra cabling. When I told him there is no way he used up all 10 meters (33 feet) of free cabling to connect to the inlet 15 feet away, he got even more enraged.

Below is the contraption he installed. Nowhere on the box does it say amplifier/booster. Can anyone tell me what it is?

Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-1.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
In newer Tata Sky HD+ Transfer set top box, you'll need to press and hold Back button instead of Select button in above mentioned method.
Thank you! Yesterday, the installer left in a huff after telling me that the remote cannot be programmed. I scoured the web, but nowhere did I find this useful information that one must use the "Back" button on the Tata Sky HD+ Transfer set top box. After speaking to 5 different customer service executives at Tata Sky yesterday, it appears even Tata Sky does not know that one has to use the "Back" button.

After programming the remote based on your instruction, I however find that the remote does not work as seamlessly as Airtel. I need to press the "Univ" button repeatedly to switch between the TV and set top box. This is frustrating as for instance, pressing Volume+ may increase the volume on the set top box or the TV depending on the "Univ" button. For now I have reconciled to having both remotes side by side.
Old 16th July 2016, 12:53   #2466
Senior - BHPian

The photo you have posted is for an LNB which is part of the standard installation. I think you need to escalate this matter; you are being cheated by the service engineer that came to install it.
As for the remote, the only time I use the univ button is to turn the TV on. After that I control the volume and channels from the STB.

Last edited by anupmathur : 16th July 2016 at 12:54.
Old 16th July 2016, 12:58   #2467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
So I now have Tata Sky and I gotta say I am really impressed by the quality and number of channels (especially HD channels).

Below is the contraption he installed. Nowhere on the box does it say amplifier/booster. Can anyone tell me what it is?
As far as I know its a Quad LNB where you can use 4 STBs on a single dish. Quality of the LNB + alignment determines the picture quality. Most of the original LNBs does not have any specs on noise level where the optimum is 0.1db or lower for better reception especially on bad weather AFAIK. I've changed my LNB thrice due to poor reception on rainy season, latest one am using is a 0.1 db one.

These installers are playing the same crooked tactics where ever they go. I had the same experience that you shared on consumption of wires. I paid him 300/ as a tip even though it was free installation but he was demanding for extra cable length cost of another 5 meters where the kit includes 10 mts as standard. I was confident that it won't take even 10 mts as the STB was too close to the dish so I gave him a mouthful for playing dirty and asked him to convince me if want the money. There stopped his argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Thank you! Yesterday, the installer left in a huff after telling me that the remote cannot be programmed. I scoured the web, but nowhere did I find this useful information that one must use the "Back" button on the Tata Sky HD+ Transfer set top box. After speaking to 5 different customer service executives at Tata Sky yesterday, it appears even Tata Sky does not know that one has to use the "Back" button.

After programming the remote based on your instruction, I however find that the remote does not work as seamlessly as Airtel. I need to press the "Univ" button repeatedly to switch between the TV and set top box. This is frustrating as for instance, pressing Volume+ may increase the volume on the set top box or the TV depending on the "Univ" button. For now I have reconciled to having both remotes side by side.
Sorry to know that it didn't really worked well for Tata Sky. But on Airtel its working seamlessly and I hardly touches the TV remote after this remapping. Don't give up, go for a universal one for all remote and re map the whole thing in 5 minutes. You can program at least 3 devices on a single remote for less than 500/- Give a try am sure you won't ever regret on it.

This one controls only one device
http://www.amazon.in/One-All-3910-Re...=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

Last edited by sajjt : 16th July 2016 at 13:00.
Old 23rd July 2016, 00:16   #2468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
These installers are playing the same crooked tactics where ever they go. I had the same experience that you shared on consumption of wires. I paid him 300/ as a tip even though it was free installation but he was demanding for extra cable length cost of another 5 meters where the kit includes 10 mts as standard. I was confident that it won't take even 10 mts as the STB was too close to the dish so I gave him a mouthful for playing dirty and asked him to convince me if want the money. There stopped his argument.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
The photo you have posted is for an LNB which is part of the standard installation. I think you need to escalate this matter; you are being cheated by the service engineer that came to install it.
As for the remote, the only time I use the univ button is to turn the TV on. After that I control the volume and channels from the STB.
Both you are of course right!

It says right on the box that it's an LNB, somehow I missed that the entire time.

I escalated to Tata Sky customer support and in return I got a young lady who could barely comprehend English and who couldn't care less.

Then I escalated to the Nodal Officer in Bangalore and things started moving. The Nodal Officer categorically said that I mustn't pay a paise to the installer and to call him in case things got hairy.

The rage in the installer's face was obvious and palpable to me, he was furious at me when he left and I thought it might even come to blows (to me of course) if he comes again. All this week I was bracing myself for a meet with the installer since he had clearly told me to pay him Rs. 1,200 when he came next, but he never showed up.

Sadly, Tata Sky never told me if this LNB is provided by them and what action they intend to take against their subcontractor. They never accepted any culpability. I just might follow up on this further.

After using Tata Sky for a week now, I do not regret switching over from Airtel. I get more channels in HD and SD, their SD quality is fantastic!

But so far I do miss the simplicity of Airtel's recording feature and remote. Here in Tata Sky, there is no "Stop" button to move to the "Live" feed. Today I found myself getting frustrated watching the Ind. vs. WI cricket match. I guess I just should be thankful I am watching it in HD which I didn't get on Airtel. It also took me an hour to figure out how to play recordings, apparently you have to press the "Plan" button. Not very intuitive.
Old 23rd July 2016, 13:59   #2469
BHPian

Please pardon me if this question has already been asked and answered, I have yet to go through all the pages here.

I have a Logitech Harmony One universal remote and a Tata Sky Plus DVR. I only have an old tube TV and no HD on it, so the STB is also not HD compatible.

I was wondering if anyone here knows the exact model number of the STB I refer to so that I may program my Harmony One for it. I have not been able to glean that info from a web search.

Re. the ancient tube TV, I don't foresee a problem programming the device.

The one advantage with Harmony remotes is that they are programmed using a computer and merely by entering the make and model number of the devices it needs to control; then it programs itself.

Thanks and cheers
Old 23rd July 2016, 16:06   #2470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post

I was wondering if anyone here knows the exact model number of the STB I refer to so that I may program my Harmony One for it.
I have a harmony remote myself and looked at the back of the STB to get the OEM maker of the hardware. I used it for my DishTv DTH and they used a Model named KAON if I recall correct. Likewise you should be able to find this info either in the settings menu of the STB or on the box label itself.
Old 23rd July 2016, 18:04   #2471
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Guys, has anyone got a UHD TV? Tata Sky seems to have launched the UHD boxes with 4K res capability. I was wondering whether just having a box is enough to receive 4K resolution! Won't we need the channel to be 4K? Afterall I am not aware of any channel being available in UHD resolution.
Did you end up upgrading to UHD? AFIAK there were only a couple of UHD channels available on Tata sky. Anyone who has upgraded recently please let us know your experience. Without UHD channels, upgrading one's TV and STB won't do any good..
Old 25th July 2016, 09:28   #2472
BHPian

Have been on Videocon D2h for the past 3 years. Went for this since they were more VFM and had more HD channels then.
They kept on increasing the charges and I feel they have lost the VFM tag. And recently, they took Asianet among others off from the base pack. Now thinking if I shoud switch or not.
Old 25th July 2016, 10:17   #2473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
... Now thinking if I shoud switch or not.
In my opinion you should switch to TataSky. Videocon is no more what they were when they began.
Old 25th July 2016, 11:30   #2474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Have been on Videocon D2h for the past 3 years. Went for this since they were more VFM and had more HD channels then.
I am on DishTV DTH for 11-12 years now. Their prices I think are the most reasonable and service is pretty rapid as well. I've also picked up skills to align the dish on my own and do not need their support to troubleshoot. Occasionally I have billing issues which is resorted by email or a call. I was doing monthly payments before and am now doing it once in six months. Been pretty happy with quality of picture. We watch mainly English channels and sports. My mom watches Hindi soaps. I am on the parent child connection with three STbs at home. I liked their hardware offers of new STB at 500rs etc and have often taken them when they arise. As a result I have 2-3 spare STBs at home and dish and lnb too. A replacement remote costs 180 and a replacement lnb costs 475. So when they come out with an offer of 500 for STB, I jump on it.
They have a pretty decent HD lineup and we typically watch only those channels.
You can do a channel and price compare and then decide. It's probably not as high tech as Tatasky but does the job.
Old 26th July 2016, 12:42   #2475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I have a harmony remote myself and looked at the back of the STB to get the OEM maker of the hardware. I used it for my DishTv DTH and they used a Model named KAON if I recall correct. Likewise you should be able to find this info either in the settings menu of the STB or on the box label itself.
Thank you diyguy. I shall see what I can do.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks