Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2014, 14:03   #2356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I am fed up of Reliance DTH and considering other DTH service providers.
I am looking at these features.

- Better upscale of SD channels considering most of the popular channels beam SD signals?
- Better south based packs
- Signal strength during rains

Please advise.
I switched over to Tata Sky 3 months ago, I had been on Dish TV for more than a decade. Take my word, Tata Sky is light years ahead!
Old 5th December 2014, 14:43   #2357
BHPian

Re: DTH with better upscaling of SD channels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I am fed up of Reliance DTH and considering other DTH service providers.
I am looking at these features.

- Better upscale of SD channels considering most of the popular channels beam SD signals?
- Better south based packs
- Signal strength during rains

Please advise.
I am using Airtel HD from last 2 yrs. The picture & sound clarity is far better than my friends Dish tv HD. The STB is trouble free as well.
The best thing is the universal remote which makes the TV remote redundant during basic TV viewing.
They have separate packs for north & south India. The recharge option is also simple with the android app.
Old 5th December 2014, 16:35   #2358
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
Now, only the highest pack has HD option (platinum HD/South Platinum HD).
I was on South Gold HD (399/-) and still running on that.
Now Times Now is removed from my above pack and its a 12/- PM addition now.

Also there is no HD add on option.

Now,it looks like they will eventually force old users to move to new plans, as there is no long term recharge option on my existing plan.

I think its time to explore other options now. Or is everyone on similar pricing strategy?
Is there any better options for 412/- per month? (normal channles +HD combination)
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I am currently on Tata sky with a 260 base package + HD access fee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
Thank you audioholic. Yes. I am looking for base channels + HD package kind of options than paying for the highest package option.
+1. I am in the same boat. My recharge expires on 3-Jan. Of late, D2H's STB has also become kinda buggy. Behaves erratic very often.

Primary reason for choosing D2H 2 years back was the add-on HD pack and max no. of HD channels. Overtime, usage pattern changed and now HD channels aren't being watched that much.

I am too thinking of switching to Tata Sky with the base pack at 260/month as opposed to 370/month pack on D2H.

I have written to their CC regarding disconnection, let's see what they reply.
Old 13th December 2014, 18:17   #2359
Team-BHP Support

A CRT in one of our rooms has a regular STB with cable connection. The service is absolutely pathetic so now looking at DTH services. Which one is advisable considering the following:

1- No Airtel. There is no direct line of sight to the satellite and rooftop dish installation is not allowed in our society.

2- Preferably, I want SD + Recorder. Is there any provider that offers this combo ?

3- No requirement of any regional language
Old 13th December 2014, 20:13   #2360
BHPian

Sharing our recent experience:

Had Reliance Big Tv HD DVR box for last couple of years which went kaput all of a sudden.
Contacted Bog Tv for repair or replacement, and they claim they can only replace it with a normal non HD box, and we will need to pay for a HD box (1k) or a HD DVR box (5.9k).

Considering that we originally paid 5.9k to upgrade from a normal box to a HD DVR box, this sounded extremely wrong. No amount of breaking our head with their customer care helped, compounded by the miserable fact that we have over a year of subscription balance in our account with Bug Tv.

We have finally paid up some money (negotiated) for a HD box, in lieu of which we have got a further 3 months addition in our subscription of Beg Tv.

Anyone who may be remotely considering Big Tv, may kindly note their such clear monetization policies.

(Note: Typos above are not typos)
Old 13th December 2014, 23:49   #2361
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Anyone who may be remotely considering Big Tv, may kindly note their such clear monetization policies.
So do other providers replaces box free of charge post warranty?
Old 14th December 2014, 08:39   #2362
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Sharing our recent experience:

Had Reliance Big Tv HD DVR box for last couple of years which went kaput all of a sudden.

(Note: Typos above are not typos)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
So do other providers replaces box free of charge post warranty?
I had an airtel HD DVR which suddenly stopped working. They charged rs 600 for the replacement. I was thinking I will need to pay the full amount for a new box since the box was out of warranty. Luckily that was not the case. In addition , my original box was a 320gb one and the replacement was a 500gb box.
Old 14th December 2014, 09:13   #2363
BHPian

In any of the DTH providers, is it possible to select a few of the a-la-carte channels or is it always base pack + a-la-carte?
I do not watch TV and my wife only wants, Zee, Colors, StarPlus, Aastha & Sanskriti channels.
Hathway cable guy has increased the rate to Rs300 from this month onwards and I see no reason to pay this much for just 5-6 channels.

My TV is wifi enabled. Is there any option to view these channels live using net?

Regards,
Old 15th December 2014, 09:00   #2364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
2- Preferably, I want SD + Recorder. Is there any provider that offers this combo ?

Zee Dish TV has this option of SD with recording. Been on their services since they launched in India.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 15th December 2014 at 10:27. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 15th December 2014, 09:27   #2365
Senior - BHPian

Dish TV truHD+ can now be subscribed without HD pack. So you will be able to record SD tv on USB drives. It is quoting at 999 on Dishtv site, and it is an excellent offer. I have been using this box for past 6 months, and absolutely no issues so far (touch wood).
Old 15th December 2014, 13:20   #2366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Dish TV truHD+ can now be subscribed without HD pack. So you will be able to record SD tv on USB drives. It is quoting at 999 on Dishtv site, and it is an excellent offer. I have been using this box for past 6 months, and absolutely no issues so far (touch wood).

Have they started giving Nick Jr again?
I stopped subscription in January after they stopped transmission of Nick Jr doe to legal issue with some other company.
Old 15th December 2014, 13:22   #2367
Senior - BHPian

^^^Sorry no idea about Nick Jr.
Old 15th December 2014, 13:33   #2368
BHPian

I am told that in the next couple of years, TS will be doing away with the dish and enable the TV sets to receive the signals directly. This was told to me by the TS service guy. I probably can understand for the current LCD/LED/Smart TV's. Wonder how this can be done on the conventional CRT TV's.

Would anyone have an update on this?
Old 18th December 2014, 12:44   #2369
BHPian

My friend is looking to get a DTH STB at his place in Katriguppe, BLR as he is fed up with the cable guy.
He currently has a 21" CRT at home, but planning to buy an HD TV in a year or so.
He's planning to buy an HD STB but subscribe only to SD pack till he buys an HDTV.
He only needs Sports, English News and Kannada channels.

Here are my(his) questions,
1. Does the HD STB support RCA or any other connections to connect to CRT TV?
2. He's thinking of getting Videocon D2H. Is their service good? If not, which operator do you think is the best for his scenario?
TIA.
Old 18th December 2014, 13:22   #2370
Team-BHP Support

The dishtv website seems to be down since yesterday. This is huge downtime !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks