Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2010, 09:42   #1636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Considering a 17 to 20 inch flat monitor as replacement, for my desktop PC.

Any suggestions? I can see LG's LED monitors listed at around 8.5K. Any reviews?
I have a L20" Slim LED- LCD Monitor E2040T, costing Rs 6800. I am quit happy with the performance.

My brief review on http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...d-etc-271.html
Old 25th November 2010, 10:51   #1637
BHPian

Here's my laptop:

Alienware M17x-R2

Processor: Intel Extreme Core i7 CPU X 920 @ 2.00GHz, 1996 Mhz, 4 Core(s),
Memory: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1333MHz
Graphics: 2 x 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4870 in CrossfireX configuration
Display: 17-inch WideUXGA 1440 x 900 RGB LED
Sound: ATI High Definition Audio
Storage: One 500 GB SATA Drive and one 256GB Solid State Drive
Optical Drive: Slot-Load Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+-RW, CD-RW)
Wireless: Intel Ultimate N WiFi Link 6300 a/g/n 3x3 MIMO
Bluetooth: Internal Wireless Bluetooth 2.1 with EDR

Mod's Note: Please do not copy paste from MS Word. It leaves behind formatting tags. Notepad is fine. Thanks

Last edited by Eddy : 25th November 2010 at 11:06. Reason: Note inline
Old 25th November 2010, 15:50   #1638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Here it is!

AMD Phenom IIx4 955BE 3,2mhz
4Gb DDR3 memory 1600
Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H

with

Antec P183 case and CP850 power supply.
Sounds great!

Can you please post how the AMD feels? I am looking to get AMD Phenom for my second home PC (have Intel core 2 8400 on the first) and I would appreciate your feedback on the speed, heat, compatibility etc.

Last edited by Glass : 25th November 2010 at 15:52.
Old 25th November 2010, 18:10   #1639
Distinguished - BHPian

The 3.2 AMD feels fine, but, so far, not substantially faster than the previous 2.8Mhz. I guess that means that the stuff I'm doing, so far, like browsing, has it's bottlenecks elsewhere. I can't give you a useful report on "real work" performance as yet.
Old 25th November 2010, 18:51   #1640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 3.2 AMD feels fine, but, so far, not substantially faster than the previous 2.8Mhz.
What is the OS that you are using? If you are on 32 bit XP or Ubuntu, switch to 64 bit Windows 7. That would speed up the system, specially under load.

At the moment, following things are running on my PC:

1. Ubuntu inside Virtualbox [512 MB VM]
2. XP inside Virtialbox [1 GB VM]
3. 20+ Tabs in Firefox
4. 12+ Tabs in Chrome
5. Loads of crapware + mcafee virus that comes with Dell
6. Video (+ 7.1 sound over HDMI to AVR)

Memory usage is around 5 GB, and system is responsive as usual.
Old 25th November 2010, 20:48   #1641
Distinguished - BHPian

I have installed 32-bit Win XP Home SP3, 32-bit, for those occasions when I just have to do something in Windows. I don't intend to use it very often, nor do I intend to progress any further on the MS path if I can help it. So it's Ubuntu... Ubuntu Studio variety, 32-bit.

I might have ventured into Windows 7 if I had had to pay anything for an MS operating system, but, as suggested here, my OEM XP registered without hesitation. Apart from having forgotten and remembered where to find the classic style and the classic menu, I probably won't even bother to much customise it. I expect Office will get loaded; that is about the only reason I'm likely to fire it up, as and when Open Office just won't do.

My temperature widgets are showing hdd temps of 40 to 42 and cpu temps of 40 to 43. CPU load widget is mostly at 25% --- so I'm cruising gently in one of those big Mercs --- no question of "load" at all

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 25th November 2010 at 20:51.
Old 25th November 2010, 21:00   #1642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 3.2 AMD feels fine, but, so far, not substantially faster than the previous 2.8Mhz. I guess that means that the stuff I'm doing, so far, like browsing, has it's bottlenecks elsewhere. I can't give you a useful report on "real work" performance as yet.
if you can lay your hands on 3DMarks software, you could extensively test the capabilities of your system.
Old 26th November 2010, 10:48   #1643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So it's Ubuntu... Ubuntu Studio variety, 32-bit.
What is your experience with hardware? In my PC, could not find a way to get Ubuntu / Fedora to play nicely with hardware.

Basic stuff like Display/WiFi/Bluetooth worked out of box with both, but things like HDMI/Blu Ray do not work well.

E.g. have not found a way yet to get 5.1 sound out of HDMI with Ubuntu.

So. Ubuntu is running on VM where is gets an abstracted view of hardware. And it runs just fine in VM with server side stuff (Tomcat + DB2).
Old 26th November 2010, 15:11   #1644
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What is your experience with hardware?
Better than Windows!

Windows needs the Gigabyte device-driver install. Even the network card would not work before that was done. . I have an obsolete RME soundcard which is not supported by RME for Windows after XP: Ubuntu supports it, at least for analogue i/o. With Ubuntu, everything just worked

... Mostly: my big problem is a Firewire Audio device that I'm probably going to end up selling because Ubuntu support for Firewire is poor and the device will work but it is really tedious. Also my HP scanner is not supported and I don't suppose that has changed.

Multi-channel sound I do not use. HDMI output I do not use. Blu-Ray I do not use. Maybe all those things are problems I haven't discovered.
Old 26th November 2010, 15:26   #1645
Senior - BHPian

Yes, for common hardware Ubuntu is pretty good. Everything works out of box most of the time. Only when you try pushing a bit, I.e. extract all features of a particular chipset like HDMI / High Definition audio, things become difficult.

Trying to find "some" card which works in Linux with these features so that I can port code for these features for ATI Chipset that I have.
Old 29th November 2010, 01:10   #1646
BHPian

My turn now, just got a new AMD home pc to supplement an Intel Core 2 duo. The new one replaces a 10 year old museum piece I sold off now for 650 rupees (without monitor and HDD).

The new pc's specs are:
  • AMD Phenom X6 1055T CPU
  • Asus M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3 motherboard (AMD880G chipset with upto 16GB RAM support)
  • 2 TB Seagate HDD
  • 8 GB (4x2GB) Kingston DDR3 1333 RAM
  • NVIDIA 1GB 8400GS Graphic card
  • Coolermaster 350W SMPS fitted into a nice looking regular case with 2 fans
  • MS KB/mouse & basic Creative speakers.

I had an existing LCD monitor from the old pc, and also plonked in an older 40GB IDE HDD . Total damage 36k.

This one is a tad noisier than the Core 2 duo and I am yet to see the 6 cores in practical action. I run my PC with several OS's by virtualization, so am hoping to see some real benefit. The OS's are multiple OpenSUSEs and WinXP, all 64 bit.

Last edited by Glass : 29th November 2010 at 01:11.
Old 29th November 2010, 01:25   #1647
Distinguished - BHPian

36k-worth, with a phenom X6 --- and that's your supplementary machine? Wow!

You are running several OS's simultaneously on that? I can see why you might need power, and it looks like you got it

Mine's copying about 90Gb off a USB2.0 driver onto an internal HDD at the moment. Seems to be using about 30 to 40-something percent CPU. There's no appreciable rise in temperature, not even on the 1Gb internal disc, which runs very hot to the touch, and for which I am planning an extra fan.

Glass, you've got USB 3.0 on your motherboard. I've got USB 3.0 on my motherboard... have you or anyone got any USB 3.0 peripherals?
Old 29th November 2010, 01:47   #1648
BHPian

Quote:
36k-worth, with a phenom X6 --- and that's your supplementary machine? Wow!
Very likely it will be the main now. I tend to keep the main one separate and not let the kids play much on that.
Quote:
You are running several OS's simultaneously on that? I can see why you might need power, and it looks like you got it
Yes, each OS has its own personality - one runs for development with a few servers running and with a backup setup, one is for plain email, browsing, office apps etc., one is a little special purpose etc. etc. - convenience than anything else. Each has its own bunch of email ids etc. too and it helps not to mix up writing from a personal id where it should be from something else.
Quote:
Mine's copying about 90Gb off a USB2.0 driver onto an internal HDD at the moment. Seems to be using about 30 to 40-something percent CPU. There's no appreciable rise in temperature, not even on the 1Gb internal disc, which runs very hot to the touch, and for which I am planning an extra fan.
Seems like mine, cool but a little noisy (esp. the cpu fan).

Quote:
Glass, you've got USB 3.0 on your motherboard. I've got USB 3.0 on my motherboard... have you or anyone got any USB 3.0 peripherals?
None yet, but I guess firewire and USB3 are neck to neck on video transfer speeds - future proofing with an eye on the next video cam!
Old 29th November 2010, 18:06   #1649
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually, there was no additional noise during the copy. The cpu usage at less than half did not speed up the cpu fan, and the case nicely contained whatever noise the hard disk, which must have working constantly, was making.

Thank goodness: a justification for this expensive case at last!
Old 1st December 2010, 03:36   #1650
BHPian

Actually, I just found a bunch of BIOS settings that control a lot of the CPU and Fan properties. I have fiddled with a few and the fans are now quite silent running at a slightly slower speed.

It is also interesting that I have a similar experience as you in relation to windows vs. Linux - my Belkin USB wireless adapter version 1 has no 64 bit windows drivers available, but runs out of the box with 64 bit Linux Mint! I just would have to throw the 1 year old adapter away if I was just on windows! So much for the supposed driver inavailability in Linux!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks