Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2008, 17:20   #1636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Err what is there to install in a TV . Plug in the power and signal cable and one is good to go. I don't think anyone else is needed for that.
By installation they mean wall mounting i guess
Old 20th October 2008, 17:24   #1637
Senior - BHPian

Wall mounting of a Plasma is really not recommended. First of all a Plasma needs much more ventilation than an LCD because of the heat it generates (it has internal cooling fans). If its mounted on a wall, much of this heat will be trapped and this can reduce the life of the TV.

The second problem is the weight of the TV itself. They are pretty bulky and I'd not trust putting it on a pair of nails whose ability to support the TV for years is suspect.
Old 20th October 2008, 17:29   #1638
BHPian

good point ROC, the 42 pv80 is about 25 kgs, are LCD TVs significantly light in terms of weight?
Old 20th October 2008, 17:47   #1639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
good point ROC, the 42 pv80 is about 25 kgs, are LCD TVs significantly light in terms of weight?
LCD TVs looks a bit lighter. Sony 40" KLV400A weighs about 19kg whereas Samsung 46" LCD TV weighs about 26kg. In case of power consumption, Plasmas consume about 30-40% more power than LCDs.
Old 20th October 2008, 18:46   #1640
BHPian

I have finally decided to buy Sony 40" V series, I am getting offer for 79900, does it sounds good in NCR or is there any other good offer if available ? And can we mount that to wall and does I need to take any precautions for that.
Old 20th October 2008, 18:55   #1641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
LCD TVs looks a bit lighter. Sony 40" KLV400A weighs about 19kg whereas Samsung 46" LCD TV weighs about 26kg. In case of power consumption, Plasmas consume about 30-40% more power than LCDs.
well one thing i do know is for most plasmas these days, they have comparison charts on power consumption to tackle this FUD created by LCD makers (who abandoned plasma for LCDs and then realised later that LCDs were a dead-end in PQ). The fact is that most plasmas, can vary their power consumption depending on the contrast of the scenes being shown and hence average out to the same power consumption as an LCD over a month or so.
I get the same electricity bills after moving to plasma and oh did i mention the bill remains the same even though viewing has gone up significantly due to such awesome PQ.
This is not mental bhp increase which you get after installing the K&N filter, this is based on facts also given the PQ i am ready to shell some more electricity bill if that really were the case !!
On the weight point, plasmas are as heavy or light as most LCDs, but whether its LCD or plasma, I wouldn't dare to mount it. I prefer a nice black trolley which matches the black levels of the plasma hehe
Old 20th October 2008, 20:43   #1642
Senior - BHPian

I've seen plasmas and LCDs mounted in many locations for long durations of time (read: years). Haven't heard of any problems with the mounting. I think the mounting technique matters here. Most shops offer free installations, including mounting. Take that option and let a professional fit the bracket and mount the TV. Things should be fine.
On another note, I would love to hear and see how some of you have done wire management in case your TV is wall mounted. Concealment, channeling etc. I am planning my media room now, and would appreciate some inputs. Thanks!
Old 20th October 2008, 20:49   #1643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
I would love to hear and see how some of you have done wire management in case your TV is wall mounted. Concealment, channeling etc. I am planning my media room now, and would appreciate some inputs. Thanks!
just connect everything to your home theatre amp and let one hdmi cable goto the wall mounted plasma/lcd. Neat and clean - but yes you need an hdmi capable HT also depending on the switching technology used, the HT may need to remain ON even if you hear sound from TV (some HTs switch video even in sleep mode i guess)
Old 20th October 2008, 21:03   #1644
Senior - BHPian

Any inputs about the new Sony Bravia T series 32 incher?
Old 20th October 2008, 21:03   #1645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
I've seen plasmas and LCDs mounted in many locations for long durations of time (read: years). Haven't heard of any problems with the mounting. I think the mounting technique matters here. Most shops offer free installations, including mounting. Take that option and let a professional fit the bracket and mount the TV. Things should be fine.
Thats the whole point... if you get a proper mount, it should stay on the wall all fine. However if its just mounted on a couple of nails stuck into the wall, I'd be pretty wary of it.

Also as I said, LCDs don't produce as much heat as plasmas so there shouldn't be any issue. However in a plasma, if there's not enough ventilation, it'll definitely deteriorate the life of the TV in the long run.
Old 20th October 2008, 21:04   #1646
BHPian

After looking at multiple brands we finally bought a samsung series 5 A550 50 inch plasma for our hall. Bought it for Rs 1,19,000 and got the wall mounting bracket free.

Thanks to all for the advice. We considered the pioneer but we eventually decided on the samsung (60k price difference)
Old 20th October 2008, 21:06   #1647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Guys.. how about a brand called "Vu"?
We have two 40inch Plasma ones which does the duty 7x24x365 days an year in our company. Cant comment much about its quality as all it does is show graphs etc

And they are wall mounted.
Old 20th October 2008, 22:08   #1648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Thats the whole point... if you get a proper mount, it should stay on the wall all fine. However if its just mounted on a couple of nails stuck into the wall, I'd be pretty wary of it.
Mounted on a couple of nails ! Nobody does that dude

Every mount comes with its set of 4 bolts which are made specifically to hold the weight of a plasma/lcd. The mount is normally an independent bracket which is fixed to the wall and the TV just slots into this bracket.

In addition to gaining a foot in viewing distance, a Flat Panel looks its elegant best only when wall mounted.

Just make sure the height of the TV is such that when seated on your sofa the middle of the TV is at your eye level.
Old 20th October 2008, 22:56   #1649

Checked with Modern World today (20 Oct, 8.30pm), seems they are not ready to reduce the price any further..even if it is bulk....so I think we can drop Modern World too

@Selective, Do update when you hear from Devi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
Sunday, I visited Devi electronics Jayanagar, Panasonic showroom Koramangala and Modern World M.G.Road. Here are the price details for PV80H:

Devi - 57.5k
Panasonic - 65k
Modern World - 60k

I have told Devi Electronics that we will be buying in bulk (5-10), so give me the best quote. He will be calling me today with his quote. Once the quote is given, we have to give him the requirement in written with all the buyers name and address. We have to place the order in one go.

Panasonic brand shop is not going to match the Devi's quote. I shared Devi's quote and asked him what is the best he can give. He will never match 57.5k.

Modern world is quoting 60k for single piece. I did not ask the quote for bulk buying. I am sure even they may not match Devi's quote. If required, I can ask for the same.

Also, at Modern world, I compared PV8H with Sony 40v400 with F1 live (Tata Sky connection). The motion pictures in PV8H is smooth (ofcourse with good black levels) than the 40v400.
Old 21st October 2008, 00:12   #1650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Mounted on a couple of nails ! Nobody does that dude

Every mount comes with its set of 4 bolts which are made specifically to hold the weight of a plasma/lcd. The mount is normally an independent bracket which is fixed to the wall and the TV just slots into this bracket.

In addition to gaining a foot in viewing distance, a Flat Panel looks its elegant best only when wall mounted.

Just make sure the height of the TV is such that when seated on your sofa the middle of the TV is at your eye level.
Well and how does the mount itself get bolted onto the wall? We had a mishap in our office with an NEC Plasma where the bolts (in this case they were not much thicker than big nails) just gave up and the entire thing came crashing down. This was a couple of years ago.

Most Viewed