Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2014, 13:48   #7276
Senior - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
I am in market for a TV for my parents. They do not use HD/ Net etc on the TV. I am looking for a basic model but bigger size than >30 as the TV wall is huge in size. Please suggest a VOM model with good service/ warranty.
I bought the LG LED TV LN5400 model. It has no SMART or 3D features. Good picture quality and totally satisfied with it. Paid 42k last diwali.
Old 28th March 2014, 14:01   #7277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I am looking for a basic model but bigger size than >30 as the TV wall is huge in size. ...
It's got nothing to do with the 'TV wall'; what matters is the distance from which they will watch the TV.
Old 28th March 2014, 14:16   #7278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
It's got nothing to do with the 'TV wall'; what matters is the distance from which they will watch the TV.
The distance between the wall and sofa is 10 feet.
Old 28th March 2014, 14:22   #7279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The distance between the wall and sofa is 10 feet.
The same viewing distance in our bedroom too. Any closer and you can see pixels in non-HD content. Go with 40inch and above.

To be honest, initially we were wow'ed with the 42inch but now we feel we should have bought the 47inch set.
Old 28th March 2014, 14:32   #7280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
The same viewing distance in our bedroom too. Any closer and you can see pixels in non-HD content. Go with 40inch and above.

To be honest, initially we were wow'ed with the 42inch but now we feel we should have bought the 47inch set.
Is plasma a good option? Link Also there will be 4x6 feet windows on two sides of the TV, opposite to the TV and on the right side. Third side is the open hall/dining, with more natural light coming in. Would Plasma be able to perform better in such a condition?

I am ok with the disadvantages of Plasma as my parents are moving from CRT. I believe plasma will be better than a 20yr old CRT. Also my parents don't watch sports other than cricket, so refresh rate is something they can live with.
Old 28th March 2014, 14:46   #7281
BANNED

How are Phillips LED TVs? They seem to have a couple of 40 inchers which are priced much lower than other brands - any reviews on them?
Old 28th March 2014, 16:29   #7282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is plasma a good option? Link Also there will be 4x6 feet windows on two sides of the TV, opposite to the TV and on the right side. Third side is the open hall/dining, with more natural light coming in. Would Plasma be able to perform better in such a condition?

I am ok with the disadvantages of Plasma as my parents are moving from CRT. I believe plasma will be better than a 20yr old CRT. Also my parents don't watch sports other than cricket, so refresh rate is something they can live with.
I don't have much information on Plasma's. Please read up the last couple of posts, there is a comparo between LED and Plasma TV's.
Old 29th March 2014, 01:33   #7283
BHPian

Hi,
Have been trying hard to find the Panasonic P50S60D plasma here in Bombay, however it seems to be extinct and it seems i might have to settle for an LED lit LCD.
Is there any other good telly i can buy between 70-80k which is full hd and has a screen size of 46-50 inches, don't care about 3D. Also can someone shed some light if most manufacturers are about to bring in a new lineup for 2014 by next month, as that is what i have been told in Croma, vijay sales and the Panny brand shop in Vile Parle.

Thanks in advance.
Old 29th March 2014, 08:27   #7284
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan86 View Post
Hi,
Have been trying hard to find the Panasonic P50S60D plasma here in Bombay, however it seems to be extinct and it seems i might have to settle for an LED lit LCD.
Is there any other good telly i can buy between 70-80k which is full hd and has a screen size of 46-50 inches, don't care about 3D. Also can someone shed some light if most manufacturers are about to bring in a new lineup for 2014 by next month, as that is what i have been told in Croma, vijay sales and the Panny brand shop in Vile Parle.

Thanks in advance.
your best bet as of today http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/t...PS51F5500ARLXL

I have read good reviews. Nothing beats a plasma if you love natural colors and watch lots of action.
Old 29th March 2014, 11:08   #7285
BHPian

Quote:
I am in market for a TV for my parents. They do not use HD/ Net etc on the TV. I am looking for a basic model but bigger size than >30 as the TV wall is huge in size. Please suggest a VOM model with good service/ warranty.
You can check 32" version of
P2305 series I am happy with my purchase and also comes with three year warranty.
Old 29th March 2014, 11:44   #7286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
your best bet as of today http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/t...PS51F5500ARLXL

I have read good reviews. Nothing beats a plasma if you love natural colors and watch lots of action.
Thanks for the suggestion rbp, main usage will be, watching a lot of fast moving content and gaming.
Will try and hunt this Samsung down as it was on my mind, although I'm not a fan of Korean makes.
Old 29th March 2014, 12:06   #7287
NGM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

Agree to this.Bigger the better if you can afford and there is enough viewing distance.Now I think the 42 inch I bought last year is a bit small
Old 29th March 2014, 13:56   #7288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan86 View Post
.... main usage will be, watching a lot of fast moving content and gaming.
You should seriously look for a good used 29" CRT TV, from Philips, Sony or Panasonic; nothing beats them at this kind of usage.
Old 30th March 2014, 00:37   #7289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
You should seriously look for a good used 29" CRT TV, from Philips, Sony or Panasonic; nothing beats them at this kind of usage.
I am graduating from a 29" Sony CRT already Anup. Would have to disagree that CRT is still top dog for fast paced tv content.have another Samsung LED in the house, which seems from another planet when i hook my PS3 on it or watch Motogp, as compared to my CRT. So finally managed to find a Panny P50S60D after calling half of Bombay, got a sweet deal, will be delivered tomorrow

Last edited by n_aditya : 1st April 2014 at 10:06. Reason: broken quote tag fixed
Old 30th March 2014, 11:59   #7290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
You can check 32" version of
P2305 series I am happy with my purchase and also comes with three year warranty.
This looks like a good model. The 39" model is full HD and suits my requirements too. I will surely check it out. Unable to find user reviews for this, any idea why?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks