Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2014, 15:56   #7366
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
USB port is compatible with all formats. .mkv, .avi, .dvi, .mk4 and has no issue with connecting even an external HDD via USB. Please ascertain whether Samsung Plasma can do this. At least until last year it could not.
My 2 year old Samsung Plasma can do that.
My 1TB HDD is almost always connected to it for something or the other. No issue with any of the formats either.
Old 26th May 2014, 09:42   #7367
Senior - BHPian

Got a 50in Plasma TV from LG model 50PB6600 costing rs 54K from Sumaria an authorized LG shop in Thane. This price was in exchange for a 25in CRT. The picture quality with recently bought Videocon d2h connection is fantastic. However I am yet to get the perfect setting for the TV, presently in Cinema mode. Anybody got a LG Plasma tv settings perfected, pls share?
Old 26th May 2014, 14:05   #7368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
all LG products have warranty for 5 years.
Wow! Never knew this about LG. I have a washing machine and I plan to get some sort of coverage for it before the end of its first year.
But, it is good to find out first what exactly is covered free of cost in this AMC? Is it labour and parts or just labour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I was adamant that i am not taking a lower order LED and in fact compromised to in between. I had the 50ST50 and they offered something like the base LED series. I demanded it be comparable to 50ST50. Since they didnt have a replacement 50ST50 and constant pressure they decided to order a panel from their manufacturing unit and replace the same.

Just be firm and let them know your displeasure of owning a Panasonic.
Glad to know that things are moving forward. Did you get the new panel for ST50?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Latest update on my Panasonic warranty claim. I have been offered full refund as per original invoice. I will be taking it.

Next big question is: should I stick with Panasonic or buy Samsung? This time I will go for LED and I will not go all out for picture quality. Which of these two companies is better in terms of (a) durability of product and (b) after sales service? I have no experience of Samsung so members' feedback will be welcome.

Panasonic after sales service: it moves fast if you can contact someone senior. Otherwise you get stuck with customer care. Even so, I will not dismiss them as yet. Their offer of full refund is a good gesture.
Again, good to know that Panasonic did the right thing. Reliability is a big question mark with the flat panels. So, anything with good warranty is the best bet.

I have a Panasonic plasma myself and I will be completing my first year with it in June/ July.

In terms of PQ, Sony has been doing really well in the last couple of years. Yes, they are expensive, but I think the products look better as well.
Please have a look at them.
Old 26th May 2014, 14:54   #7369
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
all LG products have warranty for 5 years.

1 year or 2 year is default warranty and AMC for next 3-4 years. Can any company match that ?
Warranty and AMC are 2 different things. Don't confuse the 2. LG products typically have a 1 year warranty. I have a lot of LG products and LG is my favourite vendor - but they do not offer 5 year warranties.
Old 26th May 2014, 22:04   #7370
Senior - BHPian

Panasonic remains the master of PQ

Samsung is the leader when it comes to the latest in connectivity (read smart tv)

Sharp "Quattron" panels are also superb. Min you the "Q' models not the non Q ones.

Quote:
Latest update on my Panasonic warranty claim. I have been offered full refund as per original invoice. I will be taking it.

Next big question is: should I stick with Panasonic or buy Samsung? This time I will go for LED and I will not go all out for picture quality. Which of these two companies is better in terms of (a) durability of product and (b) after sales service? I have no experience of Samsung so members' feedback will be welcome.

Panasonic after sales service: it moves fast if you can contact someone senior. Otherwise you get stuck with customer care. Even so, I will not dismiss them as yet. Their offer of full refund is a good gesture.
Old 26th May 2014, 22:47   #7371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
In terms of PQ, Sony has been doing really well in the last couple of years. Yes, they are expensive, but I think the products look better as well.
Please have a look at them.
One review I read states that Sony TVs are inconsistent in picture quality because they source panels from various vendors. Apparently their software are good but hardware is a let down. Right now my active consideration are Panasonic, Samsung and Sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Panasonic remains the master of PQ
Does this hold true for LEDs also? Does Panasonic manufacture their own LED panels? Their model range as shown on their website is a bit limited, demo pieces at their showroom even more so. It feels as if they may wind up soon.

While looking for replacement for my UT50 I begin to realise how feature packed it is. It has 3D, Internet, etc. Simple conveniences like auto volume leveller, digital audio out are difficult to find in similar priced models now.
Old 26th May 2014, 23:04   #7372
Senior - BHPian

Yes, my post was entirely about LCD/CFL lit panels & LCD/LED lit panels.

Panasonic is buying certain sizes from LG (the panels only) the bigger sizes are made by them in house. Sony buys it's panels from Samsung and one other Taiwan based company. Sharp is making it's own panels in Japan.

Most LCD/LEDs are pretty much feature packed, some more than the others. For a comprehensive look at the current offerings from Panasonic you will have to visit their experience centre at Gurgaon(last building on the RHS on mall mile as you drive from Mehrauli side).

Quote:
One review I read states that Sony TVs are inconsistent in picture quality because they source panels from various vendors. Apparently their software are good but hardware is a let down. Right now my active consideration are Panasonic, Samsung and Sony.

Does this hold true for LEDs also? Does Panasonic manufacture their own LED panels? Their model range as shown on their website is a bit limited, demo pieces at their showroom even more so. It feels as if they may wind up soon.

While looking for replacement for my UT50 I begin to realise how feature packed it is. It has 3D, Internet, etc. Simple conveniences like auto volume leveller, digital audio out are difficult to find in similar priced models now.
Old 27th May 2014, 10:32   #7373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Warranty and AMC are 2 different things. Don't confuse the 2. LG products typically have a 1 year warranty. I have a lot of LG products and LG is my favourite vendor - but they do not offer 5 year warranties.
Well, ok if you insist then I will put it differently. LG will back up all it's products for 5 years. Now warranty and AMC is not all that different in case of LG because I take AMC only after something goes wrong (within 5 yr period) wait for cooling down period and then file a complaint. Isn't it equal to taking extended warranty in a perverted sense. After all I get support from the company.
Old 27th May 2014, 10:36   #7374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Got a 50in Plasma TV from LG model 50PB6600 costing rs 54K from Sumaria an authorized LG shop in Thane. This price was in exchange for a 25in CRT. The picture quality with recently bought Videocon d2h connection is fantastic. However I am yet to get the perfect setting for the TV, presently in Cinema mode. Anybody got a LG Plasma tv settings perfected, pls share?
You have to browse forums for that particular model or generic LG plasma settings, I have followed the generic LG plasma settings (each size has different color temperature settings) copied from some forum. Let me search for it.
Old 27th May 2014, 11:49   #7375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Until last year, the LED's from Panasonic were not better than the ones from Samsung or Sony (I did not look much at LG).

Within the last year, Sony has come up with really great flat panels.
In terms of features, I have to say that smart TV's are pretty dumb.
I do not use any of the smart TV features on my ST60.
A Raspberry Pi with Openelec and a Network Hard disk and a router is all I need. My trusty old 2.1 channel wood speakers take care of the audio.
I use the TV mainly to watch movies and documentaries and other downloaded programs.

After using OpenElec and Raspberry Pi for almost a year now, I don't even remember the last time I used the USB ports on the TV. All media is served via XBMC which runs on OpenElec which in-turn runs on Raspberry Pi. The media is stored in my 2 TB network hard disk.

This gives me all media center features which a smart TV can never offer.

Last edited by S_U_N : 27th May 2014 at 11:51.
Old 27th May 2014, 14:15   #7376
BHPian

Quote:
Now warranty and AMC is not all that different in case of LG because I take AMC only after something goes wrong (within 5 yr period) wait for cooling down period and then file a complaint.
This matter does not seem to end. Let me put in my understanding. AMC is a maintenance contract which does not normally cover part replacement. Warranty does, unless some parts are specifically excluded. So warranty and AMC are not synonymous.

I do not see any reason to take AMC for TV because there is nothing in it that needs regular maintenance. However there is good reason to take AMC for washing machine, household RO, split AC, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
In terms of features, I have to say that smart TV's are pretty dumb.
I do not use any of the smart TV features on my ST60.
A Raspberry Pi with Openelec and a Network Hard disk and a router is all I need. My trusty old 2.1 channel wood speakers take care of the audio.
I use the TV mainly to watch movies and documentaries and other downloaded programs.
My use of the TV is pretty basic and layman, something that my wife and young son can use easily. Intent is to minimise number of systems used and maximise quality within that limitation. So I use the inbuilt media player of the TV, take audio out through optical digital out and connect to AV receiver. Smart feature for me is primarily internet so that we can watch Youtube on the TV.
Old 27th May 2014, 15:29   #7377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My use of the TV is pretty basic and layman, something that my wife and young son can use easily. Intent is to minimise number of systems used and maximise quality within that limitation. So I use the inbuilt media player of the TV, take audio out through optical digital out and connect to AV receiver. Smart feature for me is primarily internet so that we can watch Youtube on the TV.
OK. Got that.
If you would like to use Youtube, then please try to get a demo of the same.
Panasonic plasma's have issues with Youtube. There is a thread on Google groups where YouTube team has been investigating the issue for over a year.

So, check the TV before you buy it for Youtube.
Old 27th May 2014, 15:53   #7378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AMC is a maintenance contract which does not normally cover part replacement. Warranty does, unless some parts are specifically excluded. So warranty and AMC are not synonymous.
AMC/Warranty that LG sells does cover parts. I have it for five years.

I have a LG plasma, plasma panel cracked on its own in third year. LG replaced the panel under warranty/AMC.
Old 27th May 2014, 16:16   #7379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
AMC/Warranty that LG sells does cover parts. I have it for five years.

I have a LG plasma, plasma panel cracked on its own in third year. LG replaced the panel under warranty/AMC.
Did you by any chance meant Extended Warranty coz LG offers std 1 yr warranty (atleast in my case).

IMO AMC would be related to mostly discounted labour charges rather than spares. Spares replacement would be covered under warranty only. I may be wrong here but am yet to read the AMC T&C.

Edit: Got the AMC T&C online.

Last edited by ghodlur : 27th May 2014 at 16:17.
Old 27th May 2014, 16:21   #7380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Did you by any chance meant Extended Warranty coz LG offers std 1 yr warranty (atleast in my case).
Yes, this is 5 year extended warranty.

For some reason, LG calls it AMC. It does cover parts and labor.

Most Viewed