Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2010, 21:22   #271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
The place they putting they are putting the modem is in the basement. Basically the modem will be used by my brother to run internet for some of hi application.

Since my cousin is using my place+ electricity to run his server, in return he has agreed to give me one line for wi-fi. Thus I think we would require the modem (for him) + the wifi router/wifihub (for me)

So again to confirm, is router and hub are the same thing?

Sorry I might be sounding really really dumb, but I have no idea about these things:(
If your cousin not have the internet broadband connection and wanted for the same , then you can ask from your serive provider for Wi-fi modem. With this ,he can use the internet to his server through Ethernet port and configure wi-fi connection for you .(Strictly in secure mode ). By this ,you both can use internet at same time .
Old 26th March 2010, 22:59   #272
BHPian

Quote:
2. Someone told me to go in for a wireless hub instead of a wireless router, whats the difference between both? I tried googling but they both appear to be the same.
Hub is NOT same as a router. Its hard to explain all the differences but a router has more capabilities which could be necessary. Do insist on a router. Read more here: Router vs Switch - What Is The Difference Between a Router and Hub or Switch?

Quote:
3. I plan to install the router on a wall (atleast 8 feet high) so that no one can touch or play with it. Is that feasible? I mean how many time would I have to access the router to change the settings etc????
Absolutely feasible. Generally, you would access the router once in a bluemoon. Once configured, a stable router should do its job for a lifetime.

Quote:
4. Will it be possible to change the password for security purposes everyday without connecting to the router through a wire? I mean can I do it through wi-fi itself?
Yes, you can access the router wireless. You can change the password as frequently as you wish.

Quote:
5. What do "G"/ "N" on routers imply? Are they like Nokia G series or N series?? Which is better for me?
Something like GSM 2G vs 3G. N has better range and bandwidth than G but then all your equipment (laptops, PDAs) needs to support N. G equipment is far cheaper in price and if its only for internet surfing, G should generally suffice.

Quote:
6. Someone suggested D-Link dir-600, is it good??
No idea on specific models.

Quote:
The place they putting they are putting the modem is in the basement. Basically the modem will be used by my brother to run internet for some of hi application.

Since my cousin is using my place+ electricity to run his server, in return he has agreed to give me one line for wi-fi. Thus I think we would require the modem (for him) + the wifi router/wifihub (for me)
This is how home networks are setup generally.

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 714
Size:  11.8 KB

technically your cousin would need a router to give you a line and then you would need to install a wifi acess point. But these days we are getting combo-equipment having both router and wifi-access-point in single device. that is what is "wifi router"

Last edited by Comrade : 26th March 2010 at 23:01.
Old 27th March 2010, 01:25   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Security concerns?

As the idea stands, any visitor using your wifi is on your network ...with access to your PCs on that network. This is really not a good idea.

(for guest, of course, read not only the people sitting in your lobby, but all nearby residents seeking some free net access, and maybe taking a look around while they are at it.)
Old 27th March 2010, 12:15   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Anyways since your cousin is a techie who is running a server setup, discuss with him he will help you much better in person.
My cousin is in Mumbai unfortunately. And its very difficult to understand what he says as he does not understand the meaning of lay man's language. He starts getting all technical and that I do not understand ( I am getting to undertand a bit now, thanks to this forum) Anyway, I just have to provide them the LAN cable and a wi-fi router/hub and the installation will be done by the service provider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Hub is NOT same as a router. Its hard to explain all the differences but a router has more capabilities which could be necessary. Do insist on a router. Read more here: Router vs Switch - What Is The Difference Between a Router and Hub or Switch?
So basically I should go in for a wi-fi router as most of the routers these days are hubs too. Right in my understanding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Security concerns?

As the idea stands, any visitor using your wifi is on your network ...with access to your PCs on that network. This is really not a good idea.

(for guest, of course, read not only the people sitting in your lobby, but all nearby residents seeking some free net access, and maybe taking a look around while they are at it.)
God!! Now what? Thats not a secure way of functioning is it? You mean to say that whoever has the password for the router can access my computer too? Is it that simple?

Also another question. I have a Sony Vaio Laptop, that is not wi-fi enabled. What can I do to be able to work on the internet thru wi-fi. In the laptop it says that wirelss LAN access point and wire LAN PC card can be bought as an accessory. What does it mean?

Thanks and regards
Old 27th March 2010, 22:52   #275
Senior - BHPian

I doubt VIAO doesn't have wifi. Is it that old.

you can buy, USB wifi dongle from linksys or netgear, They are about Rs.900
Old 1st August 2011, 19:53   #276
BHPian

Re: Setting up a Home Wireless Lan

I just bought Linyksys WAG120N ADLS2 Router cum modem. But unable to setup with Airtel. Does anyone done setup with Airtel.
It was not connecting with CD so I have to do manual setup via entering 192.168.1.1
Old 1st August 2011, 21:16   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post

God!! Now what? Thats not a secure way of functioning is it? You mean to say that whoever has the password for the router can access my computer too? Is it that simple?
Not sure what you mean here. Point is they need to have the password to your Wifi network first right, so whats the problem ?

Its like saying.
God!! if they have the password to my gmail account they can access my email, Or if they have the password to my ICICI A/c they can access my ICICI account.

Even if they do get the password, they can only use your Internet, or access any shared folders that you might have shared on your n/w. Even for this they would need to know the IP/share name of the drive etc..

Again we are talking about normal people here, not professional hackers.

Last edited by Fillmore : 1st August 2011 at 21:18.
Old 1st August 2011, 21:52   #278
BHPian

Found the way to setup WAG120N with Airtel.
Old 29th October 2011, 01:55   #279
BHPian

Does anyone know as to how one can setup a Beam connection to connect automatically through the router?
I've tried asking the ISP but they say it isn't possible, and that one has to login through a web browser. I need to run a voip phone over lan and I dont always have a comp connected. Does anyone know?
Old 18th November 2012, 21:25   #280
BHPian

Increase LAN speed

Friends,

I need your help to speed up my LAN network.

- I use cable broadband with first entry point at my place is Linksys WRT54G2 cable 54 mbps wifi router. This router is placed in my bedroom. SSID "ABC".
- I connected second Wi-Fi router Netgear DG834G 54 mbps (adsl modem now configured as access point) which is placed in living room. This second router is connected to the Ethernet port of first router with network cable. SSID "XYZ".
- Samsung ES5600 smart tv connected to second router with cable
- Seagate GoFlex Home NAS 2TB connected to second router with cable
- 2 laptops, 2 cellphones, TV and NAS use broadband connection
- laptop network card / Wi-Fi drivers are latest
- higher router firmware are available but no mention of speed increase in their release logs so not convinced to upgrade firmware and risk bricking routers

Initial when I setup second Wi-Fi router as access point, I tried with same SSID with different channel as first one and it was successful. Windows laptop could see only one network with that SSID but switching was not effective. My devices were using far away router when sitting near to second router as still there was weak signal available. Also because only one single network was shown in my laptop network details, I was not able to switch manually.

So I decided against single SSID and configured second one with different SSID and now can easily switch between both though original purpose was not achieved.

Now, I bought this NAS, configured it within minutes but had to copy data for hours. Reason - slow speed. When I copy over wifi, I get max 2 mb/s transfer speed and with n/w cable 10-11 mb/s. I want to try and improve my LAN speed with changes in settings and driver/firmware upgrade etc. rather than buying latest routers/switches. I plan to move to another place within a year or so and hence do not want to spend too much at the moment which could prove useless in new environment.

Currently my setup is working fine. I copied all my data, media to NAS and can access it on my TV, laptops and android phones. Video streaming is without any issues even full HD movies. Only pain is when I move large files from my laptop to NAS, it takes ages to complete transfer. Also, it causes long runtimes for my laptop backup.

I appreciate your time for reading this post with all technical details. Please suggest possible alternatives which could solve this issue.
Old 18th November 2012, 21:38   #281
BHPian

Re: Increase LAN speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk_2009 View Post
Friends,

I need your help to speed up my LAN network.

- I use cable broadband with first entry point at my place is Linksys WRT54G2 cable 54 mbps wifi router. This router is placed in my bedroom. SSID "ABC".
- I connected second Wi-Fi router Netgear DG834G 54 mbps (adsl modem now configured as access point) which is placed in living room. This second router is connected to the Ethernet port of first router with network cable. SSID "XYZ".
- Samsung ES5600 smart tv connected to second router with cable
- Seagate GoFlex Home NAS 2TB connected to second router with cable
- 2 laptops, 2 cellphones, TV and NAS use broadband connection
- laptop network card / Wi-Fi drivers are latest
- higher router firmware are available but no mention of speed increase in their release logs so not convinced to upgrade firmware and risk bricking routers

Initial when I setup second Wi-Fi router as access point, I tried with same SSID with different channel as first one and it was successful. Windows laptop could see only one network with that SSID but switching was not effective. My devices were using far away router when sitting near to second router as still there was weak signal available. Also because only one single network was shown in my laptop network details, I was not able to switch manually.

So I decided against single SSID and configured second one with different SSID and now can easily switch between both though original purpose was not achieved.

Now, I bought this NAS, configured it within minutes but had to copy data for hours. Reason - slow speed. When I copy over wifi, I get max 2 mb/s transfer speed and with n/w cable 10-11 mb/s. I want to try and improve my LAN speed with changes in settings and driver/firmware upgrade etc. rather than buying latest routers/switches. I plan to move to another place within a year or so and hence do not want to spend too much at the moment which could prove useless in new environment.

Currently my setup is working fine. I copied all my data, media to NAS and can access it on my TV, laptops and android phones. Video streaming is without any issues even full HD movies. Only pain is when I move large files from my laptop to NAS, it takes ages to complete transfer. Also, it causes long runtimes for my laptop backup.

I appreciate your time for reading this post with all technical details. Please suggest possible alternatives which could solve this issue.
If you are getting 10-11 Mbps on wired LAN that is the maximum that can be achieved in a normal ethernet network. For more you can consider adding a Gigabit (1000Mbps) switch, but that would benefit you only if all your wired devices (PC, Laptops) and NAS support Gigabit. Consider a Netgear/ Dlink model that supports Jumbo frames as most NAS units will support the same and give even more throughput. I run a similar network as yours at home with a Gigabit Switch and Wifi N 300 with a Repeater as well. (Google/ Wiki lookups for Jumbo Frames. DD WRT Wireless Repeaters - These will make your life easy)

Note: Most Lowcost NAS units will peak out at 20-40 Mbps, that would be the real world value you will see even on a Gigabit network.

2 Mbps on Wireless is also close to the real world max you will see on wireless LAN 802.11g. You need to upgrade this to Wifi N as well to see any more improvements.

In your case the technology is the limitation, and you cannot just run upgrades/ updates on firmwares to increase throughputs. Hardware change is the only option facing you.

Last edited by latentpotential : 18th November 2012 at 21:45.
Old 18th November 2012, 22:01   #282
Team-BHP Support

Re: Increase LAN speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk_2009 View Post

I'm facing the same issue with my 2tb GoFlex connected to my Airport Extreme when I try moving files through wifi, the max speed is around 2.5mbps.

Now my setup is such that I have a modem to which the telephone line comes, and one ethernet port of that goes to my airport extreme which serves as the router for the house. The other ethernet port from the modem goes to my desktop. Since I was connecting the HD to the Airport Extreme I bought a wifi dongle for the desktop so I could access the HD. But is there any way to access the HD through the ethernet cable? (so I can take the desktop of wifi and see better speeds transferring files to the HD) Seeing that there is a router first and then the Airport Extreme.
Old 22nd November 2012, 22:46   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
If you are getting 10-11 Mbps on wired LAN that is the maximum that can be achieved in a normal ethernet network. For more you can consider adding a Gigabit (1000Mbps) switch, but that would benefit you only if all your wired devices (PC, Laptops) and NAS support Gigabit. Consider a Netgear/ Dlink model that supports Jumbo frames as most NAS units will support the same and give even more throughput. I run a similar network as yours at home with a Gigabit Switch and Wifi N 300 with a Repeater as well. (Google/ Wiki lookups for Jumbo Frames. DD WRT Wireless Repeaters - These will make your life easy)

Note: Most Lowcost NAS units will peak out at 20-40 Mbps, that would be the real world value you will see even on a Gigabit network.

2 Mbps on Wireless is also close to the real world max you will see on wireless LAN 802.11g. You need to upgrade this to Wifi N as well to see any more improvements.

In your case the technology is the limitation, and you cannot just run upgrades/ updates on firmwares to increase throughputs. Hardware change is the only option facing you.
A very well put precise response I would say. Thank you. Now I know where to put efforts within my LAN components to get better result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I'm facing the same issue with my 2tb GoFlex connected to my Airport Extreme when I try moving files through wifi, the max speed is around 2.5mbps.

Now my setup is such that I have a modem to which the telephone line comes, and one ethernet port of that goes to my airport extreme which serves as the router for the house. The other ethernet port from the modem goes to my desktop. Since I was connecting the HD to the Airport Extreme I bought a wifi dongle for the desktop so I could access the HD. But is there any way to access the HD through the ethernet cable? (so I can take the desktop of wifi and see better speeds transferring files to the HD) Seeing that there is a router first and then the Airport Extreme.
Akshay, If your HD is connected to to your router, any device connected to that router should be able to access this HD. You should connect your desktop cable to the router rather than to the modem.

Last edited by amk_2009 : 22nd November 2012 at 22:48.
Old 2nd June 2013, 10:38   #284
BHPian

Hello guys, I intend to setup wired lan or atleast want to install the lan cable in multiple rooms. I have wireless routers but at the same time want to have the cable if at all wireless becomes patchy. I want to know if there is anything I need to keep in mind when buying CAT6 cable or any name brand cable would do?
Old 8th October 2013, 21:07   #285
BHPian

Backup Connection?

I currently use a cable connection from my cable walla. It's not very dependable and thus I have to maintain my BSNL DSL connection as a backup. Can I set up the router (Dlink DIR 605L) so that I can switch over to BSNL quickly? Currently, I can connect my machine directly to the BSNL modem, but don't get a connection when I try to connect it with the router. The modem is a type II modem so it comes with wifi... so I'm not sure if it can be connected again with a Dlink wifi router. I searched for help.. but I can't find anything that I can use.

Is there a way to configure this quickly. Right now, I have to go into tcpip properties and change the IP settings while using BSNL. The cable connection uses a 'obtain an IP address automatically'.

Please help!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks