Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2009, 17:23   #151
BHPian

thanks guys! the reason i was looking for modem is that i heard Airtel charges a monthly rental of Rs 50 for the modem(specific plans like 256 unlimited) - no big deal but instead of paying them i thought i'll have it of my own besides I'm anyway buying a wireless router and i thought combo would make sense.

Jaggu, unless there is an improvment in performance i would want a single unit to minmize the mess.

ms, i was recommended WGR614 and a Buffalo whrg125, if i'm buying the router alone i'll buy either one of them i guess.
Old 22nd January 2009, 13:27   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
I have been using Netgear WGR614 (2000 rs) for the past 4 years without any trouble .They have good customer support as well.
Read in some review that WGR614 overheats and that it repeatedly drops connections. Is this true. Can you give some inputs regarding security configuration on this for MTNL/BSNL ADSL. I am getting one unit and plan to use it after connecting to the DLINK ADSL Modem.
Old 22nd January 2009, 17:25   #153
Senior - BHPian

I did not face any such issues , connection drop may happen after 24 hours of continuous usage.
But still overheating is not a problem , never happened with my router.

There are some security options such as mac address locking,
wep,password etc.

Once or twice the settings were lost(reset) due to low voltage and fluctuation .
Old 13th February 2009, 20:51   #154
BHPian

i have a motorola wired modem which is used by my pc at speeds upto 96 kbps.
i would like to know whether i can connect a wireless router to this modem using a some kind of cable.i would like to place the wireless router on top floor for a lap.
Old 14th February 2009, 01:03   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
i would like to know whether i can connect a wireless router to this modem using a some kind of cable.i would like to place the wireless router on top floor for a lap.
more details on the modem please. and what ISP you are using. Is it a dial up connection. If possible some images or atleast model number of modem.
Old 14th February 2009, 10:12   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
Not sure what your exact query is.

This is how the normal connection is made
Telephone Cable > Modem > Router > Clients

Connections
Telephone Cable > Modem = Normal telephone cable
Modem > Router = Ethernet Cable
Router > Clients = Wifi / Ethernet

If you want to use it in the top floor, Then might has well run the Telephone cable (the cheapest option) all the way to the top floor, and from there into Modem > Router.

If you place your router at the G. floor , I doubt the signal strength will be strong enough to reach to 1st floor.
Alternately you can get a Wifi router on the G. floor, and get another Wifi Router on the 1st floor.
The 1st floor router should be configured as a Repeater. i.e. just strengthen the signal.

As for wireless networking standard 802.11n is the latest. The next lower is 802.11g.

- Fillmore

Last edited by Fillmore : 14th February 2009 at 10:14.
Old 14th February 2009, 11:34   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
Bumping this thread to seek some information to setup wifi at home.

Please suggest a good modem-router combo, i currently have shortlisted LINKSYS wag200g, anyone has experience with this equipment? Also, is it better to purchase the wifi router and modem separately or the combo works better?

thanks!
Linksys from CISCO is a better product that Netgear. Just plug and play. Modem will be given by the Telephone companies (Airtel/BSNL). You can add-on Wi-fi printer from HP, Music bridge fom linksys etc.. etc..
Old 14th February 2009, 14:24   #158
BHPian

PC - the computer im using now(in ground floor)
motorola modem - connected to PC using Ethernet cable(a)
the broadband internet is through cable(like tv cable and not telephone)

router - im planning and doubtful about this,
b - how do i connect the motorola modem to router??
and get connection on top floor?
Attached Thumbnails
Setting up a Home Wireless Lan-plan.jpg  

Old 14th February 2009, 14:51   #159
Senior - BHPian

there are two choices.
1. broadband router, you have to run a UTP cable from router to where where ever you need the net.

2.wifi broadband router. If you don't want hassle for cabling. But you will need a wifi pci/usb card if the upper floor is a Desktop.

3. cat5 or 6 patch cable (for existing PC)

This is by netgear, Cost is under 2k. Other manufacturer also have similar products, personally i am using dlink.

Setting up a Home Wireless Lan-44687back.jpg

your scenario
Setting up a Home Wireless Lan-plan.jpg

Last edited by SirAlec : 14th February 2009 at 14:55.
Old 14th February 2009, 17:40   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
there are two choices.
1. broadband router, you have to run a UTP cable from router to where where ever you need the net.

2.wifi broadband router. If you don't want hassle for cabling. But you will need a wifi pci/usb card if the upper floor is a Desktop.

3. cat5 or 6 patch cable (for existing PC)

1.according to this choice i have to buy two cables one for lap and one for pc!
2.if i keep this router on top floor and use a UTP cable for pc on ground floor,can i use the router as wifi for the lap(which will be on top floor itself)
3.are these cables similar to UTP cables!!

how much decrease in speed will occur if i use this method!!
could you suggest few model numbers for netgear and d link!!

Last edited by ariendj : 14th February 2009 at 17:45.
Old 14th February 2009, 18:11   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
Bumping this thread to seek some information to setup wifi at home.

Please suggest a good modem-router combo, i currently have shortlisted LINKSYS wag200g, anyone has experience with this equipment? Also, is it better to purchase the wifi router and modem separately or the combo works better?

thanks!
I am using Linksys WAG200G for the past 7 months without any hassles. No overheating problems like in Netgear. Coverage is also good. Can access it in all bedrooms and bathrooms with closed doors and strong signal.

Regarding the combo confusion, you understand that this is an ADSL Wi-fi router. In India, apart from BSNL and MTNL (& in some cases Airtel), people use normal broadband. So if you are sure that you will be using ADSL connection for say atleast 2 years, it is a worthwile investment. But if you plan to change ISP, i would suggest you buy a wired ADSL router, and another Wi-fi broadband router.
Old 14th February 2009, 18:14   #162
BHPian

I am using a DLink DSL-2640T Wireless ADSL router, connected to phone line and Desktop is connected with direct Ethernet cable. Other applications like my Laptop and mobile use WiFi. We have BSNL broadband connection.

All setup is in one corner of house, so I use parabolic deflector to get beam in one direction. SO that it can reach to living room as well.

More information is here, Parabolic Templat

It looks like this ->
Setting up a Home Wireless Lan-image071.jpg
Setting up a Home Wireless Lan-image072.jpg

Last edited by omishra : 14th February 2009 at 18:20.
Old 15th February 2009, 17:13   #163
Senior - BHPian

1. you have keep the router near the modem and first pc. No not as a speed/technical requirement but for logistic need

2. yeah patch cable are utp cable.

at above:
now why would he invest an extra 1500 on a adsl modem+router+wifi (dsl2640t), when he already has one.

PS: dude don't put the router on top of your external hdd.
Old 15th February 2009, 19:46   #164
BHPian

@ ariendj

I have a feeling that your modem has more than one ethernet port (its better if you give model number of this modem). If its so, then you do not need another router for wired connectivity. However, you would need a wireless router if you want wifi connectivity

Quote:
1. you have keep the router near the modem and first pc. No not as a speed/technical requirement but for logistic need
wouldn't wireless signal be better if the new router is placed on first floor where the laptop will be used. However I feel ground floor installation should be just fine although signal strength may not be 100%.
Old 16th February 2009, 09:27   #165
BHPian

Quote:
PS: dude don't put the router on top of your external hdd.
Thanks for suggestion. Isn't that aluminium Cylindrical Cover over external HDD will protect it from signal?
Again It is placed at the bottom of the antenna where antenna has shadow.
If I am wrong please suggest, anyway I am also not 100% confident in this and want to shift that HDD somewhere away.

What about inbuilt HDD of Desktop with wifi?

Last edited by omishra : 16th February 2009 at 09:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks