Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2008, 17:15   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Doc, when you connect your laptop to the BSNL modem, do you "dial in" from your PC to connect to the internet, or do you just switch on modem and you are "online"?
I just switch on the ADSL modem(Linksys router before this problem) & wifi switch on laptop and i am "online".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Your first pic shows "Access: Local only"! This should mean you have told the router not to connect to the Internet.

Unless you are trying to connect on-demand ONLY, Internet access should be achieved by simply setting the Gateway setting of the computer (under IP settings) to the IP address of the Linksys box, usually "192.168.0.1" or "192.168.1.1".

Are you able to see the admin page of the router in the browser (not via the program that runs off the CD)?
yes,i can open the admin page when i connect router to modem+laptop(wired) and i can turn turn on DHCP and some some other changes like MTU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
a bit OT : you bought a WRT54GL and you're running it on stock Firmware
I have heard some great things about DD-WRT but router is doing such a nice job with its stock firmware that i dint want to take any "panga".I have never had any trouble with either BSNL,ADSL modem or Linksys router so far and speeds are just great.

1.BTW as you can from pictures,both router and modem has same IP address i.e. 192.168.1.1.Could this be the problem?If yes which one to change and how?
2.I am confused between security key,paraphrase,password which are asked many times while settings wirless connection.Can someone help me here as well.

I have done many hard resets and still problem is same except today when i was able to get congratulation message window of linksys CD wizard as you can from the pic.

I have posted the pics acc. to time taken while doing all this all over again.
Attached Thumbnails
Setting up a Home Wireless Lan-capture7.jpg  

Setting up a Home Wireless Lan-capture8.jpg  

Setting up a Home Wireless Lan-capture9.jpg  

Setting up a Home Wireless Lan-capture10.jpg  

Setting up a Home Wireless Lan-capture11.jpg  

Setting up a Home Wireless Lan-capture12.jpg  

Setting up a Home Wireless Lan-capture13.jpg  

Old 6th August 2008, 17:43   #107
Team-BHP Support

Since your Huawai modem is connecting to the internet you have to select "router mode" and not gateway mode.
the connection will be as follow
ADSL modem(huawai) will connect to internet
Linksys will connect to Huwai at one end and your PC through wireless.
Wireless connection is working, somehow Linksys to Huawai is not working.

Also set these DNS servers in your wireless connection
208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220
Old 6th August 2008, 18:52   #108
Senior - BHPian

Ajmat,

I saw this thread digressed in to discussing which router is best etc but do not know if your problem is solved or not.
All you need to do is connect your Wireless LAN router to Modem Router without using PPP-OE

As far as I understand you want to use both Wifi and USB port on Huaweii Modem- Router with out any additional investment in installing a PCI ethernet card in your Old PC , It is quite possible

Actually your Huawei Modem is Modem + Router with two ports one USB and one Ethernet port. So it can accommodate 2 connections at a time.
Also this modem router has DHCP server with table size of 64 built in so in case you connect a hub to the ethernet port you can serve up to 64 Computers.
In order to use a wifi Router This is what you need to Do.

1. Login to settings of your Huawei modem ( http://192.168.1.1 ) and set up DHCP in your Huawai Modem / ROuter and select the range of IP
as some number say 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.11
This is the range of IPs from which router built in your modem will allocate IPs.

2. Enable DHCP client in WiFi ROuter as well and choose another range of IP address
example

192.168.2.1 - 192.168.2.XXX

3 Make sure that Wifi router setting is not in PPPOE mode but in normal mode
( default setting on most routers)

3. Take a CAT cable and plug in your ethernet cable out from Modem Router to WiFi Router WAN port

Now this configuration is equivalent to two routers connected back to back , you can connect your Old PC with USB to modem router and it will get one available
IP from Modem routers DHCP table that is in the range of 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.11

and connect your laptop to your home WiFi network and it will get an IP from DHCP of WiFI ROuter that is in range 192.168.2.1 - 192.168.2.XXX

Also Please make sure that you enable WPA or WEP security in your WiFi network. May be MAC filtering for your devices as well.

Recently terrorists used an unsecured WiFi network of an Amrican national living in Navi Mumbai to send e-mail and he was in soup.

Regards
Amit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Folks - current situ is that I have a normal Pentium PC + ethernet card + DSL modem connected via USB. I have attached via the ethernet, a linksys wireless router wrt54g.

Using my laptop, I can access the internet but only when the PC is on. I need to find a way to connect to the internet directly via wireless. What I need is a solution to connect into the RJ 11 socket of the DSL phoneline (I use airtel) from which I can wirelessly access the net. Everything I seem to find uses RJ 45 sockets only..unless I have been looking in the wrong place/asking the wrong connections.

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 6th August 2008, 19:31   #109
Senior - BHPian

The Vista work-around in the MS bulletin should work, one way or the other. That DHCP "problem" (that's how it was done earlier) is with the previous generation of boxes - circa Y2K - and your router is not of that vintage.

Diamond: how do you mean "very very bad" performance (not that there is anything really great about it)?

Perhaps there is a difference between your Internet connection and the neighbor's? (Oye, does your neighbor not have WiFi security on?) Perhaps there is more radio interference in your house in the 2.4GHz range which affects effective transmission? Perhaps your wireless antenna is badly located as compared to your neighbor's?
Old 6th August 2008, 20:04   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
... 1.BTW as you can from pictures,both router and modem has same IP address i.e. 192.168.1.1.Could this be the problem?If yes which one to change and how?
2.I am confused between security key,paraphrase,password which are asked many times while settings wirless connection.Can someone help me here as well....
* I need to check what I did on my D-Link WiFi box, maybe I set 192.168.1.254 to keep it safely out of the way. Allow the Huawei to be the "master", i.e. DHCP server, et al, and have 192.168.1.1 as it's address
* You will need to set 2 things on the Linksys for your wireless network: the "name" of your network, and the password / WEP key that any WiFi client must provide for access to be granted. Do it via the Admin screen of the Linksys box in a browser. WRITE IT DOWN SOMEWHERE (if possible in the manual itself) so that you don't forget it. (When you connect to "name" from your laptop, you will be asked to provide the password / WEP key. This needs to be done only once, I think - it is possible to declare it as a "preferred" network)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Since your Huawai modem is connecting to the internet you have to select "router mode" and not gateway mode IN THE LINKSYS BOX.
the connection will be as follow
ADSL modem(huawai) will connect to internet
Linksys will connect to Huwai at one end (via LAN cable) and your PC through wireless.
Also set these DNS servers in your wireless connection 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220
^^^ Not in the Linksys, but in the Huawei box which is the DHCP server, so that the DNS is set in the laptop when IP address is granted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Ajmat,
I saw this thread digressed in to discussing which router is best etc but do not know if your problem is solved or not.
All you need to do is ...
Amit-bhaiya, Ajmat's post was on 30th December 2006, 16:50!!!

Last edited by DerAlte : 6th August 2008 at 20:08.
Old 6th August 2008, 23:27   #111
Team-BHP Support

DerAlte, I meant the DNS settings in the comp, not in router or modem
Setting up a Home Wireless Lan-20080806_232643.jpg
Old 6th August 2008, 23:53   #112
Senior - BHPian

I understood. It is better done on the DHCP server side, so that the settings are "inherited" by any computer joining the network (the "Obtain DNS server address automatically" radio-button). Essentially, this way you don't have to remember doing anything on the computer side - default method with mobile devices!

BTW, which are these 208.67.xx.xx DNS servers? I need to do something about my DNS setting with the BSNL line: their blessed servers flush their cache so fast that I get unresolved names every 15 minutes.
Old 7th August 2008, 04:15   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, which are these 208.67.xx.xx DNS servers? I need to do something about my DNS setting with the BSNL line: their blessed servers flush their cache so fast that I get unresolved names every 15 minutes.
Open DNS name servers

OpenDNS | Providing A Safer And Faster Internet

Old 7th August 2008, 06:38   #114
BHPian

Quote:
These are OpenDNS servers - I also use them rather the service provider ones from my Airtel connection and has lesser of unresolved name problems.

Also I have regular Airtel ehternet modem, but have connected additional Netgear wireless router+modem. But the Netgear is configured only as router with a different IP address. The DHCP server on Airtel modem is disabled - On Netgear it is enabled along with Open DNS. So this way all the netwrok is able to access on wireless and use the OpenDNS settings.
Old 7th August 2008, 08:37   #115
BHPian

Hello all,

I am completely new to setting up a wireless LAN. My dad bought a laptop and a broadband connection from BSNL in Cochin. He took a wireless modem with the connection. Is the wireless modem same as a wireless router?

I have not seen the setup yet. I get a feeling a wireless modem avoids drawing of wires from outside the house to inside and it accesses the network directly. But the laptop needs to be connected via wire to the wireless modem. Is this correct?

Nirmal
Old 7th August 2008, 10:41   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
...Also I have regular Airtel ehternet modem, but have connected additional Netgear wireless router+modem. But the Netgear is configured only as router with a different IP address. The DHCP server on Airtel modem is disabled - On Netgear it is enabled along with Open DNS. So this way all the netwrok is able to access on wireless and use the OpenDNS settings.
Sure, it can be set on the LAN router too (you are not using the Netgear modem, I presume). But, this causes a problem: Usually a switch / router box takes longer to "boot" (reach a state of readiness for the world outside it) than the modem boxes, and usually this causes initialization problems for clients on the LAN. Had experienced this first hand, and found that keeping the DHCP server on the modem relieved me of the problem of switching on the switch/router before the modem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post
... Is the wireless modem same as a wireless router?
Functionally they are 2 separate pieces: the "modem" is what talks to the service provider over the telephone line, the "router" talks to all the clients on the LAN/WLAN in your house for routing their data packets to the desired destination, INCLUDING to the modem. For convenience, they are packaged together in the same box and the box is called a "modem / router". There are independent "modems" and "routers" available (single functionality), but the combined entity is more convenient and cheaper for domestic users.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post
... I get a feeling a wireless modem avoids drawing of wires from outside the house to inside and it accesses the network directly. But the laptop needs to be connected via wire to the wireless modem. Is this correct?
The other way around.

The "wireless" (WLAN, WiFi, IEEE802.11 b/g/n) router part of the modem connects only to the devices in your house (well, for the neighbors also, if you don't use access security on it). And NO, the laptop does not need a wire to connect to it - it connects wireless-ly if you have the WiFi adapter built into it. Most laptops have had it built-in for the last 4 years; the ones that don't have it built in, need either an Ethernet cable (if they have Ethernet built in), or Wifi adapters (PCMCIA or USB) to connect to the router.

ADSL modems connect to service provider via the telephone line, for which wires HAVE to be drawn to your house. Same for Cable modems. WiMax and GPRS/CDMA modems connect to service provider via a different "wireless" means than the WLAN.
Old 7th August 2008, 11:00   #117
BHPian

Quote:
There are independent "modems" and "routers" available (single functionality), but the combined entity is more convenient and cheaper for domestic users.
Thanks a lot.

How can I find out if the modem installed at my dad's place is a "modem (wireless)" or a "combined router and modem". My dad told that the BSNL guy has connected a wire from the modem to the laptop. He doesnt know further.

Nirmal
Old 8th August 2008, 07:08   #118
BHPian

Hello guys,

Just found out from my dad that the modem is SIEMENS SL2-141-I. Google says this is a ADSL WLAN Router. Do you know anyone in Cochin who could set this up for a reasonable price?

Nirmal
Old 8th August 2008, 09:12   #119
Team-BHP Support

As the bsnl guy to set it up. They take 100-200rs as "charges"
Old 9th August 2008, 16:57   #120
BHPian

I am still not able to resolve the problem and almost every time problem is same IMO.

Can someone please guide me how to do it from scratch step by step.

BTW i am posting few pics of my numerous attempts of amking my router work.
Attached Thumbnails
Setting up a Home Wireless Lan-capture13.jpg  

Setting up a Home Wireless Lan-capture14.jpg  

Setting up a Home Wireless Lan-capture15.jpg  

Setting up a Home Wireless Lan-capture16.jpg  

Setting up a Home Wireless Lan-capture18.jpg  

Setting up a Home Wireless Lan-capture19.jpg  

Setting up a Home Wireless Lan-capture20.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks