Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2019, 21:00   #301
BHPian

Re: Setting up a Home Wireless Lan

Hi Guys,

Bumping an old thread as I am about to set up a Home Wireless Lan.

Background:

I am not proficient in networking. Pls bear with me, I might make some stupid mistakes.

I have two ISPs- Hathway and BSNL at home to take care of work and entertainment duties. I was using both for different use cases till now, however with home expansion (and parents coming to stay with us) the need to set up a complete network was needed. We would now have 4 computers/Laptops, 6 mobile phones, 2 tablets and 2 TVs connected to the internet if everyone is home across a large area.

Hardware :
- During renovations I made it a point to get Lan Cables to every room (almost, missed the Kitchen ) but never gave a thought how exactly I would be able to set up the network.

- I have the following (already at home or ordered):
i. TP-Link TL-R470T+ 5-port Load Balance Broadband Router
ii. TP-Link TL-SF1008P 8-Port Desktop Switch with 4-Port PoE
iii. TP-Link EAP110 300Mbps Wireless and Ceiling Mount Access Point x 2 nos
iv. TP-Link Archer C20 AC750 Wireless Dual Band Router (To be used as Access Point with additional LAN Points)
v. TP- Link Archer C20i Wireless Dual Band Router ((To be used as Access Point with additional LAN Points)

The Plan:
- Hathway and BSNL modems will be configured on 2 WAN ports of the Load Balancer.
- LAN out on the Load Balancer will be connected to the Switch
- AP with POE will be connected to one of the PoE ports on the Switch while the other 2 will be connected to non PoE Ports.

The Usage:
- The Archer APs will be used to connect to devices where I need a physical LAN connections. (Desktop, Smart TV) as well as using them for the WIFI in those rooms
- The EAP110 PoE AP will be used in the bedrooms mostly used for mobile devices/tablets

Wanted to ask all the Gurus that have I missed something very important in the above plan? Is there a better way (other than mesh wifi routers) to configure the above?

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th March 2019 at 12:59. Reason: format
Old 24th March 2019, 12:44   #302
Senior - BHPian

Seems all ok to me. Just remember to turn off dhcp server in all your routers. You will need to use the dhcp server in the load balancer.

Plus you may want to keep the wifi ssid same across all routers to keep the connectivity seamless. You could also keep them different but then you will need to save both the ssid's in all your wireless devices.
Old 11th April 2019, 15:44   #303
BANNED

A slightly off topic query. I have a recording Satellite receiver for which I need two inputs for the recorder. Is there any device which lets me use a line from a nearby room, where we are not using the Dish Input.

Basically I am looking for a wireless extender!
Old 12th April 2019, 16:57   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
A slightly off topic query. I have a recording Satellite receiver for which I need two inputs for the recorder. Is there any device which lets me use a line from a nearby room, where we are not using the Dish Input.

Basically I am looking for a wireless extender!
If I understand your query correctly, you have a DTH receiver with 2 inputs and one coaxial cable coming from the dish antenna ?

Just use a T-joint and it will give you 2 outputs from a single input.

I have a similar setup at home for my TataSky recording box.

Rohan
Old 13th April 2019, 06:05   #305
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
If I understand your query correctly, you have a DTH receiver with 2 inputs and one coaxial cable coming from the dish antenna ?

Just use a T-joint and it will give you 2 outputs from a single input.
wo inputs.
Yes Rohan, you are right. I will try it out.

I have a Tatasky recording unit which requires two inputs. When they installed it they put in an extra LNB. On a dish connection the STB controls the LNB (voltage feed) and so selects the channel. In a Multistoried building, that is not true since the feed is common to all. In this case what you say should work. No harm in trying!
Old 13th April 2019, 09:32   #306
BANNED

I have a HP laptop, and find that practically every where, it has a shorter range. Means, when both the mobile and laptop in my hands, the mobile connects to a particular AP, but laptop reports poor signal or often fails to detect the AP at all. Is this normal?
Old 16th April 2019, 12:44   #307
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I have a HP laptop, and find that practically every where, it has a shorter range. Means, when both the mobile and laptop in my hands, the mobile connects to a particular AP, but laptop reports poor signal or often fails to detect the AP at all. Is this normal?
Swapping out the wireless card on these laptops is pretty easy. It's usually accessible under the ram cover, or nearby.

I swapped out the very poorly rated Killer wireless with an Intel 9260 on my Dell.

I didn't use the Killer card too much before swapping it out, but i did notice a at least a slight improvement after the switch.

Setting up a Home Wireless Lan-20181125_210819.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks