Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2012, 12:14   #3241
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Hey, I have been using the same model since last year. Happy with the performance so far. I got it for 19,500 without exchange, has the price gone up since then. The LG website is quoting 28,490 for it.
Unbelievable isnt it? Even the LG shop quoted 28K for the model but were ready to drop the price by 5K. Wonder why dont they sell it at the discounted price?
Old 6th November 2012, 12:50   #3242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Unbelievable isnt it? Even the LG shop quoted 28K for the model but were ready to drop the price by 5K. Wonder why dont they sell it at the discounted price?
Few check points, if you already know, please ignore them.

1. The inlet water pressure to the washing machine should be atleast 0.3 to 1 bar IIRC.

2. There was no cover underneath for my machine, so rats could easily enter inside. Please do ask for the 'Anti Rat Cover' as LG calls it. Looks like the latest models are having them as standard.

3. If there are frequent long power shut downs, then getting the clothes out between the washing cycle is a tough ask. You have to drain the water using the drain plug, which is located in the lower right corner near the door. Not like it will happen every now and then, but has happened to me once.

BTW, the direct drive is really silent, when compared to the pulley type.

Last edited by ecenandu : 6th November 2012 at 12:51.
Old 7th November 2012, 20:32   #3243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Hey, I have been using the same model since last year. Happy with the performance so far. I got it for 19,500 without exchange, has the price gone up since then. The LG website is quoting 28,490 for it.
i was also looking to buy the same model in march this year. LG salesman was selling at 23K saying this model is selling like hot cakes and so the prices have gone up a lot. he said he was selling at 20K a few months back.
Ive heard good things about it from a relative as well.

Seeing the success of LG direct drive recently Samsung has also come up with their own direct drive (beltless) range. dont know how good that is though.
Old 12th November 2012, 13:37   #3244
Distinguished - BHPian

Any reviews or comments on the Siemen's food processors?

Considering these guys make surgical blades for doctors, I expect their food processors to come with the best and sharpest out there.
Old 12th November 2012, 14:59   #3245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive
I am keen to buy a 3 burner HOB (stove) for the kitchen. Have looked at Sleek, Elica and Hindware and will be checking Glen & Faber in a couple of days.

Need help in picking a 3 burner HOB which is not very expensive at the same time hassle / maintenance free.

A friend of mine has told me that these Hobs' when installed in the kitchen (after cutting the granite / marble in the kitchen) gives a lot of problems. Grime, water contact ruins the rubber beading that is underneath the toughend glass and spoils or corrodes the aluminium or iron casing.

Plus one runs the risk of cutting the granite which has then to be replaced with a same size HOB incase you intend changing the HOB in the near future. His suggestion therefore was to buy a HOB which has legs (thereby not having to cut granite and affix the HOB)

Do share your experiences about HOBs since most of the members would be using one or have used one.

If you can also include your feedback on the chimney's would be the icing on the cake
If installed properly, you won't face any problem with the hob. Make sure the granite is cut exactly as per dimensions.

Glen and faber are almost similar.
No idea on hindware and sleek.
One thing you must know before buying a hob that their burners are italian by design and hence have slow cooking. Atleast 20-30% slow cooking than conventional burners.hence cooktops are a better choice but elica has indian oriented burners. So it would be best to buy elica.

As far as replacement is concerned, unlike the cooktops hobs come in standard sizes only.
60cm and 90 cm. no matter which company you buy you will always find the right size.

Chimneys - faber/elica > glen/kaff
Just make sure the chimney has suction power of 800 atleast. And has cleanable filters.

Pretty nice offers are going on for hob+chimney combo these days due to diwali.
Old 12th November 2012, 16:08   #3246
BHPian

Thanks K2MAX6 !!

Have been waiting for some sort of update for a few days now.

Will visit a few shops tomorrow and check the best deals out!
Old 12th November 2012, 16:28   #3247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
One thing you must know before buying a hob that their burners are italian by design and hence have slow cooking. Atleast 20-30% slow cooking than conventional burners.hence cooktops are a better choice but elica has indian oriented burners. So it would be best to buy elica.
This is an important parameter to be considered. We have a fixed hob in my cousin's place and my aunt feels cooking takes eternity. Even my mom gets frustrated with the slow cooking - chapatis take twice the time to be fried/cooked.

I do not remember the brand name, but it was pretty expensive when they got it few years back. This was one item which my mom never wanted in her kitchen when we built our new house 2 years back

Reg. the chimneys, pl. check the build quality before you buy it. Look out for sharp edges (which can hurt when cleaning) on the exterior as well as inners and flimsy parts (buttons, baffle latches, filters etc). You may want to clean it youself and it should be safe enough for you. Faber was decent, where as Gilma was not soo good when we were looking earlier. Also, these companies keep changing the models/names every now and then & hence I cannot suggest much.
Old 17th November 2012, 06:38   #3248
Senior - BHPian

Feedback on dishwasher

We have been facing difficulties in getting reliable maids for dish washing and hence thinking of buying a dish washer. Has anyone used them? If yes, which brand is better? Is it useful for Indian cooking styles?

Thanks in advance.
Old 17th November 2012, 09:19   #3249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk
We have been facing difficulties in getting reliable maids for dish washing and hence thinking of buying a dish washer. Has anyone used them? If yes, which brand is better? Is it useful for Indian cooking styles?

Thanks in advance.
It's the sign of times to come, isn't it? We switched over to one about one year ago for exactly the same reasons.

After searching a lot, we had to settle for Kaff as they were the only one with a built-in variant at a reasonable 32k price tag. Though if you can afford one, the all German brand Miele has some really good dishwashers, but at 5 times the price!

Our experience hasn't been without hassles. We discovered the new machine had a faulty upper tray. It took them 3 months to change one after a million phonecalls and emails. More recently the power button conked off.

The washing itself is a hit and (sometimes a) miss. When it works the dishes are sparkling clean. You'll love the way your crockery looks on the lucky days. I would say that about 4 in 5 washes are good. On the odd day off we find a film of salt on the dishes. We have tried our best, but we have failed to pinpoint why this happens. As with maids I guess even a dishwasher has moods!

BTW its not cheap, but when no maids are going to be available, there is no option. Also you cannot put in aluminium or powder coated utensils. The pot in which you have boiled milk will need to scrubbed off. So don't expect to not have to do any dishes. You'll save on water though.
Old 17th November 2012, 09:57   #3250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset

It's the sign of times to come, isn't it? We switched over to one about one year ago for exactly the same reasons.

BTW its not cheap, but when no maids are going to be available, there is no option. Also you cannot put in aluminium or powder coated utensils. The pot in which you have boiled milk will need to scrubbed off. So don't expect to not have to do any dishes. You'll save on water though.
I am also thinking of going for a dishwasher due to maid problems.
But how do you compare the dishwasher with a maid ? Is it worth it or maid is a better option ?
As far is cost is concerned it will breakeven in 2 years as our maid charges 1300 rs for utensils.
what do you say ?
Old 17th November 2012, 10:36   #3251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
After searching a lot, we had to settle for Kaff as they were the only one with a built-in variant at a reasonable 32k price tag. Though if you can afford one, the all German brand Miele has some really good dishwashers, but at 5 times the price!

The washing itself is a hit and (sometimes a) miss. When it works the dishes are sparkling clean. You'll love the way your crockery looks on the lucky days. I would say that about 4 in 5 washes are good. On the odd day off we find a film of salt on the dishes. We have tried our best, but we have failed to pinpoint why this happens. As with maids I guess even a dishwasher has moods
Am planning on going for a Siemens or Bosch dishwasher. Both are pretty much identical.

I've had a Bosch one before when I moved in to India from Singapore that served me for 3-4 years but conked off later on. Due to no availability of parts, I had to get rid of it.

The white stains you are referring to is due to the heat drying of the water.

The only way to get rid of it is to use the rinse aid liquid. You need to make sure the salt is not depleted and occasionally add the rinse aid liquid.
Old 17th November 2012, 14:35   #3252
BHPian

I got a Samsung dishwasher 3 months back. It is good with flat plates. Tea vessels and milk boiled ones won't get entirely done. You have to clean the spray arms and filter regularly. Use lesser powder than recommended.
Been hassle free so far. We picked up a Samsung as I don't believe in brand loyalty and all commodity brands will fail so just go with the one that is in stock and no waiting time.
Also the maid will be cheaper definitely in the long run due to costs related to AMC, soap and salt etc.
Best to buy additional extended warranty.
Old 17th November 2012, 15:06   #3253
Senior - BHPian

The feedback on dish washer is not so encouraging especially since the price is around 32 K. Will continue with the current maid until the technology improves.
Old 17th November 2012, 23:59   #3254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6

I am also thinking of going for a dishwasher due to maid problems.
But how do you compare the dishwasher with a maid ? Is it worth it or maid is a better option ?
As far is cost is concerned it will breakeven in 2 years as our maid charges 1300 rs for utensils.
what do you say ?
Stop worrying about payback or breakeven. It's like buying a 20 or 40 lakh diesel car because one is worried about the petrol prices! ( Ok, I know I am going to get some flame here, but hope they see my point).

A dishwasher is going to become as much a necessity as a washing machine, so better get used the idea sooner than later.

On an average we use about 1kg of detergent and salt each per month + some rinse aid. This must total about 400 Rs. Per month. Add the cost of the machine and depreciation + maintenance, now do the maths.

While on the whole the dishwasher gives cleaner dishes than the maid, it's not 'green' and has taken away a job from some needy person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639
The white stains you are referring to is due to the heat drying of the water.

The only way to get rid of it is to use the rinse aid liquid. You need to make sure the salt is not depleted and occasionally add the rinse aid liquid.
I can understand if once the rinse aid runs out one keeps getting white films from that point onwards. But what if no parameter has changed and the next wash turns out fine? This is what baffles us!

Last edited by LithiumSunset : 18th November 2012 at 00:13.
Old 18th November 2012, 11:50   #3255
BANNED

I have an LG dishwasher bought three months ago for about 28k. Consumables (soap, salt and shine) by mail order from Finish. No hassles. During 1991-99 I had an AEG420, which I initially used with washing machine detergent.

Last edited by sgiitk : 18th November 2012 at 11:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks