Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2014, 16:33   #4411
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Any idea on what are the new trends in Lighting? I know LED has arrived. Are they affordable and reliable as regular home lighting solutions. Not looking at anything fancy, but just replacement for old tech tube lights/CFLs.

Also what are the good brands in ceiling fans? Do we have modern choices or older brands like USHA, CG, Khaitan.
Old 19th June 2014, 17:14   #4412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Also what are the good brands in ceiling fans? Do we have modern choices or older brands like USHA, CG, Khaitan.
For ceiling fans, look no further than crompton greaves. Best of all that is available in the market!
Old 19th June 2014, 17:27   #4413
Senior - BHPian

Thanks JM. Also need help to choose a chimney/Hob. I guess Hob is easier to choose. I basically need a glass type, inbuilt, 3 burner will do.

I know the basics of a Chimney, I guess I need to look out for min 950 m3Hr suction, Baffle filter, 60 cm. Any suggestions from Faber/Kaff?
Old 19th June 2014, 17:38   #4414
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks JM. Also need help to choose a chimney/Hob. I guess Hob is easier to choose. I basically need a glass type, inbuilt, 3 burner will do.

I know the basics of a Chimney, I guess I need to look out for min 950 m3Hr suction, Baffle filter, 60 cm. Any suggestions from Faber/Kaff?
I have been using faber 1000m3/hr chimney of baffle filter type. I get it serviced once in 6 months. No issues.

The hob is also from faber, but here i had some issues with the auto ignition. Most of the times, it queaks on it's own. The service guys say that is coz of water/moisture seepage into electricals. We need to keep the surface clean.
Old 19th June 2014, 17:54   #4415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I have been using faber 1000m3/hr chimney of baffle filter type. I get it serviced once in 6 months. No issues.
Thanks JM, do you remember the model, size (60/90) or the price range?
Old 20th June 2014, 10:03   #4416
BANNED

Quote:
Any idea on what are the new trends in Lighting? I know LED has arrived.
1. Yes, LED's have arrived. Cost is about Rs.650-700 per watt. I know flats being done up with all LED!

2. I am in love with Crompton-Greaves. We have been using them since 1967 (our house in Lucknow), and our current home is also CG.
Old 20th June 2014, 10:12   #4417
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea on what are the new trends in Lighting? I know LED has arrived. Are they affordable and reliable as regular home lighting solutions. Not looking at anything fancy, but just replacement for old tech tube lights/CFLs.

I went through the costs of lighting a couple of months ago . Led lighting makes sense if you're going for custom lighting fixtures as custom fixtures with CFL and flourescent tubes may be as expensive as LED. For standard lighting the best option is t5. Or even 18 Watt t8 instead of CFL lamps.
Old 20th June 2014, 11:19   #4418
Senior - BHPian

Recently replaced a 15W CFL with a 10W LED, make Osram, cost 600 odd bucks. Light output is much better and the bulb does not heat up.
Old 20th June 2014, 18:06   #4419
BHPian

Quote:
I have been changing some of my incandescent/CFL bulbs to LED in my home.
Bought Philips-make from Amazon.in which fits the regular bulb-holder 'B22 Base'.

Bought 10W, 7W, 2.5W and 1W.
The 2.5 Watts is itself very bright!
The 1W one is for night-light but still bright enough to interfere with sleep!

It also produces less heat.
Another main advantage of LED over CFL's are they do not reduce in life for frequent switching on/off.

Tried two colors, Cool-Day-Light replacing CFL's and Warm-White replacing incandescent.

But for serious work and reading the 10 Watt LED still cannot beat the regular 36Watts Tubelight.

Last edited by manim : 20th June 2014 at 18:07.
Old 20th June 2014, 18:35   #4420
Senior - BHPian

I have a ceiling fan that has 4 thread bulbs holder

Name:  fontanaOrchid.png
Views: 849
Size:  167.3 KB

I don't want to put yellow bulbs in it, as I hate yellow light. Also, normal bulbs of 25/50W each would take the total consumption to 100W or above. I was thinking about getting LEDs.

Would 4 x 2.5W LEDs suffice to light up a room of 15x10ft? Or Do I go for powerful ones? Can I use CFLs instead?

Also, which one to go for, Cool-Day-Light or Warm-White?
Old 20th June 2014, 18:35   #4421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
But for serious work and reading the 10 Watt LED still cannot beat the regular 36Watts Tubelight.
I see Havells has Tube lights that can be retrofitted on the normal system. Cost around 3K.
Old 20th June 2014, 19:24   #4422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I have a ceiling fan that has 4 thread bulbs holder

I don't want to put yellow bulbs in it, as I hate yellow light. Also, normal bulbs of 25/50W each would take the total consumption to 100W or above. I was thinking about getting LEDs.

Would 4 x 2.5W LEDs suffice to light up a room of 15x10ft? Or Do I go for powerful ones? Can I use CFLs instead?

Also, which one to go for, Cool-Day-Light or Warm-White?
Warm-White is yellow, so you should prefer cool day light. Again the wattage of the lights would depend on how bright you would like the room and if there are any additional lights to supplement the light in the fan.
Old 20th June 2014, 19:42   #4423
BANNED

Is any of the cheaper brands having yellow or 2700K LEDs? I have a Osram 7W as well as a couple of bathroom lights (6W I think). Also, what about fitments, bayonet, large screw and small screw! I feel that the cool daylight, etc. are not suitable for home use.
Old 20th June 2014, 20:13   #4424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Can somebody please recommend me a Good top loading fully automatic washing machine below 20K, I have been using a Samsung one which I bought for 15K a couple of years back,but of late it has been conking off so I'm thinking of replacing it. Two brands I'd like to stay away are Samsung and IFB so now whats my choice?

Secondly is buying from Snapdeal smarter specially incase of bulky stuff like A washing machine? Do companies provide support properly when you buy from Online stores?

Hey not sure if you have already brought one but i would recommend you have serious look at Godrej as well.
Old 20th June 2014, 20:43   #4425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmrsm View Post
Warm-White is yellow, so you should prefer cool day light. Again the wattage of the lights would depend on how bright you would like the room and if there are any additional lights to supplement the light in the fan.
Warm white is actually equivalent to sunlight. Cold white is much more harsh on the eyes. However, the neutral white that is used in graphics/arts studios etc is something else again!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks