Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2019, 12:37   #7096
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

My mother has been asked to buy a water flosser.
Most available products come with additional tips so that other members of the family can also use them.
Dentist recommended following.

Waterpik WP 70Ec

Waterpik Ultra

Waterpik WP-112

Would appreciate feedback about water flossers in general and the above three products in particular.
Thanks in advance
Old 14th April 2019, 16:31   #7097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Most available products come with additional tips so that other members of the family can also use them.

Would appreciate feedback about water flossers in general and the above three products in particular.
Thanks in advance
Very happy with my Panasonic DJ10 handheld flosser. I don't think I have the patience to floss the old fashioned way.

A few things I'd love to have on my flosser:
1. Flexible tube nozzle to make pointing the jet easier.
2. A little LED near the nozzle
3. A continuous supply of water
4. Water jet on / off push button conveniently located

Mostly a water flosser makes it much easier to dislodge particles of food stuck between teeth or or other orthodontic fitment.
Old 15th April 2019, 00:50   #7098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Dentist recommended following...
My Mom had also been asked to get one by her dentist. I got the WaterPik WP-100 in Jan'18 & Mom's been using it since. She's often literally pestering us all to start using it (removes stuff from teeth after they've been brushed & flossed with the thread floss), so I guess it's pretty good.

WP100 is the lower/middle variant with all the settings, controls, accessories. Higher variants don't have any useful extras. The reviews on Amazon USA & UK were generally good but not so on Amazon India. So I had called the amazon seller about warranty & after-sales. They themselves are responsible for import, sales & after-sales so went ahead with it.
Old 15th April 2019, 09:15   #7099
BHPian

Seeking recommendation for Refrigerator for a family of 2 adults + 2 kids.

We are presently using Samsung single door 193 L direct cool model, and it has problems of water spilling on the floor while defrosting. It is really a pain to clean the spill everyday and hence wanted to go for 2 door frost free model.

We are not in need of freezer and hence was attracted towards Samsung Convertible models. LG also has similar model, but the controls are inside the refrigerator (compared to on-door) display on Samsung. Also salesman was mentioning that LG defaults to freezer mode on power cut. He was pushing towards Samsung model. Also understand that Whirlpool has a model where we can control Freezer to different temperature levels effectively making it a sort of convertible.

Wanted to check if any of the bhpians using convertible models and recommendation of brand as well.
Old 15th April 2019, 17:21   #7100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
We got a pair of Symphony
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
No harm trying a cooler
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_naresh View Post
We use a Symphony cooler in Pune
Got the Symphony 35T after visiting a couple of stores. Neither Reliance nor Croma had it in stock so ordered it off Amazon (Cloudtail). In all the models, only one by Havells has humidity control but chose not to go with it.

The 35T is a decent product: it has good throw even at Low, is easily movable, can get noisy. In the evenings when the balcony doors are shut, we turn off the water pump and just use the fan. Pune has been experiencing terrible humidity this week because of the unseasonal rain, so can't judge how much of the room humidity is from the cooler.
Old 15th April 2019, 18:04   #7101
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Got the Symphony 35T after visiting a couple of stores.
Good
Hope you can manage for a few more years at least without an AC.
Bangalore saw an early onset of summer this year and probably just one or two evenings of light showers, the heat is unbearably high too.
Old 22nd April 2019, 17:55   #7102
BHPian

My new refrigerator - Voltas beko 250 L ( Model - RFF273IF )
Recently, my ten year old Whirlpool 190 L refrigerator developed certain issues . The LED lights on the control panel wouldn't glow and apparently the auto defrost mechanism started behaving erratically. I called the Whirlpool service engineer who informed me that there was a minor problem with the PCB which was beyond repairs, but the fridge as such had no major problem and since it was cooling perfectly, I need not worry.
Still, I decided to buy a new refrigerator and here are my views , observations and a short review of my new refrigerator .
1) My requirements -
I was looking for a refrigerator with a capacity of 200 - 250 L , with an inverter compressor , auto defrost ( or frost free ) technology along with an electronic control panel with temperature display. My first preference was to buy from a local store rather than from an online site.
2) The shortlisted brands -
Based on my requirements, I shortlisted the following models -
A) Samsung 253 L
B) Whirlpool 215 and 240 L
C) LG 240 L
D) Haier 256 L convertible
E) Voltas beko 250 L ( only 250 L models were available in the market )
I did consider Liebherr and Godrej , but they had no model in the 200 - 250 L capacity range with an electronic control panel.
3) Finalization process -
A) Samsung 253 L - I was about to finalize the one with three star rating . I was getting it at a good price of 25 K from Reliance digital, plus it came in an eye catching blue colour with floral design.This model came with a huge storage space and the compartment arrangement with a slider shelf felt very comfortable to use. However, the electronic control panel looked too cheap and flimsy.
B) Whirlpool 215 and 240 L - The Whirlpool Vitamagic pro with inverter compressor looked like a good buy, but after reading numerous online reviews complaining about the water leakage problem , I decided not to go for it. The 240 L double door model had an electronic display , but without a temperature read out and hence was dropped off from the list.
C) LG 240 L - Again, seemed like a good buy. Offered good space and the unique air vents aimed at cooling the door seemed useful. However this model didn't have an electronic temperature read out.
D) Haier 256 L Convertible - It seemed to fulfill all my requirements , but the online reviews were not quite positive and the brand's Chinese origin too made me drop it off the buying list.
E) Voltas beko - 250 L - There were only two models available. The one with its proprietary Storefresh technology and the other one without. I chose the one which offered it. This model - RFF273IF fulfilled all my requirements . The warranty ( 2 years on the unit and 12 years on the compressor ) was best in class plus the trustworthy brands - Voltas and Beko were sufficient for me to go for this model .
4) My observations of my new Voltas beko refrigerator -
This model has an inverter compressor, is frost free and last but not the least, has an electronic control panel with a digital temperature read out.
It comes with different features like Neofrost dual cooling , Active fresh bluelight,Ion guard and reversible doors.

I purchased it from Croma Hadapsar. The delivery was on time, but Croma informed about a possible delay in demo upon which I called the Voltas beko customer care. They then scheduled the demo based on my convenient time. I must thank the engineer who honoured the commitment and visited my residence at 9.30 pm. for the demo.

For its first usage, I was told to run the refrigerator for at least six hours without keeping food inside. During this span I noticed the sides of the refrigerator getting really very hot. I was alarmed wondering whether I would have to live with this for the entire span of the refrigerator. How ever, to my relief, after around ten hours of initial usage, I noticed the refrigerator sides settling down and not getting hot any more. Another thing I noticed in the first run was the fact that while the freezer compartment started getting cold almost instantly, it took around seven hours for the fridge section to get cold.

I have been using the refrigerator for about one week now and following are my observations :-
i) The refrigerator is narrower than most of it competitors. The fit and finish is decent, on par with other brands, if not better. It has a really quiet compressor . You will hear the noise only when you are near it. Else you won't know when the compressor kicks in.
ii) The blue LED light inside the crisper compartment is unique and looks super cool. No other refrigerator that I have come across has this feature.
iii) I haven't yet checked the time it requires to form ice, but I guess it doesn't take long.
iv) There is a sensor in the fridge compartment instead of a traditional switch, which senses the door closing and switches on and off the inner LED light in the fridge compartment. Nice touch. Apart from this refrigerator, I found this feature only on LG units.
v) There is no LED in the freezer compartment.
vi) The electronic display is located inside the fridge compartment. It is informative and pleasant and to the eyes. The orange display shows both, the compartment selected ( fridge / freezer ) and its temperature . When the freezer section is set to -16 degrees, it displays a green icon . Similarly , when the refrigerator is set to vacation mode, it displays the vacation icon.
vii) Surprisingly, the inner shelves are not height adjustable.The total usable space in around 221 L , which is around 10 to 12 L lesser than offered by Samsung / LG.

5) Areas of improvement - ( Hope Voltas beko is listening )
There should be more inner space and the shelves should be adjustable.
There should be an external display instead of the inner one.
LED in the freezer compartment be made available.
A choice of colours / designs would be highly appreciated.

6) Conclusion -

The cons I have pointed out are not major ones and I hope the company will come out with improvements with the product.
All in all, I am happy with my new Voltas beko refrigerator.
Hope it serves me long.

Last edited by auto-one : 22nd April 2019 at 18:00.
Old 4th May 2019, 14:50   #7103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
How often should we descale washing machines and dishwashers? I neglected to do it for the last 3 years and then had to call the technicians to do it professionally. A huge amount of gunk came out of both (drum + outlet pipes) as our place has pretty hard water.

Now that both machines are 'clean', how often should I descale them going forward? The WM is used daily once on weekdays + twice on weekends. The DW at least once a week. I don't want to harm the machines either by using too harsh a product or carrying it out too frequently.

Found these products on Amazon too. Any tips? I think the LG techs used the LG product below:

Fortune:
https://www.amazon.in/Fortune-Multi-...ashing+machine

IFB
https://www.amazon.in/TransformTM-Es...ashing+machine

Bosch
https://www.amazon.in/Bosch-Descaler...ashing+machine

LG:
https://www.amazon.in/Smart-Shelter-...ashing+machine

Did you try the descaler on your washing machine? Which brand/company did you choose and from where did you buy? What were the results? Kindly give feedback.

Last edited by embee : 4th May 2019 at 15:10.
Old 10th May 2019, 19:51   #7104
Distinguished - BHPian

Apologies, did not notice your question. I used the LG bought off Amazon and the water at the end of the wash was indeed turbid and grayish. Hopefully that is proof it worked as intended!

Will try the dishwasher next. More complex as you have to let it run for half cycle, then carefully open the doors and pour in the stuff.
Old 10th May 2019, 21:11   #7105
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone used the Dyson Animal vacuum cleaners yet? Looks very handy and portable but expensive!

https://www.amazon.in/Dyson-Animal-C.../dp/B078T5VY2T

Last edited by itwasntme : 10th May 2019 at 21:12.
Old 19th May 2019, 18:57   #7106
Oxy
BHPian

Just bought a Samsung digital inverter washing machine from Reliance Digital. The model is this one:

https://www.reliancedigital.in/samsu...0b/p/491332636

Comes with a 10 year warranty on the motor and 3 years on the overall machine.

I paid 27k for this, and got a Samsung A10 mobile phone for free as a part of some promo offer. I was offered an extended warranty of 2 more years for an additional 3k which I took, but later came to know that this is Reliance warranty and not offered by Samsung. So we need to call Reliance technicians if something goes wrong. Kinda got scammed, was not informed that this wasn't the manufacturer warranty, and neither did I bother to ask.

Is this a common practice, i.e. the retailers selling their own warranties?
Old 19th May 2019, 22:51   #7107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Is this a common practice, i.e. the retailers selling their own warranties?
Yes Croma does the same. I was scammed the same way with a dishwasher that I purchased from them about 6 years back.
Old 20th May 2019, 06:23   #7108
Senior - BHPian

I'm using this. It's good since the device never loses its suction. But does it justify its high price? Probably, since I've used other alternatives and they don't work half as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Anyone used the Dyson Animal vacuum cleaners yet? Looks very handy and portable but expensive!
Old 20th May 2019, 08:40   #7109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Yes Croma does the same. I was scammed the same way with a dishwasher that I purchased from them about 6 years back.
Only if Croma or Reliance does not attend to issues during the relevant warranty period it becomes a scam, isn't it? And that hasn't happened yet. So why should they be blamed as scammers? I think it is not fair.
Yes, they should have clearly told you it is their warranty and it is also our responsibility to get the details. I am sure the bill and records will show it as their warranty.

Last edited by arulpeem : 20th May 2019 at 08:40. Reason: Grammar
Old 20th May 2019, 09:32   #7110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
Yes, they should have clearly told you it is their warranty and it is also our responsibility to get the details.
Would you buy a car if the dealer told you he was giving you extended two year warranty and you had to call him for any issues and not the manufacturer? I felt the same way. I had a power cord burn issue and called the Samsung helpline. He came and replaced it and I told him it was in warranty and that is when he told me I should have called Croma and not Samsung and I had to pay for the replacement. Next time I did call Croma, they took a week to send someone and I had to go visit the store and speak to their customer service department in person, to make it happen.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks