Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2019, 13:09   #7216
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

It can't do any harm to lavish such attention on the machine!

No, my use is not even every week.
Old 25th July 2019, 17:39   #7217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Can anyone confirm that if fully automatic top-loaders have the provision to add a liquid whitener to the detergent tray which is consumed at the last rinse cycle in the front loader.

Regards.
I bought the Bosch 8.5kg fully automatic (Direct Drive) top loading washing machine.

https://www.flipkart.com/bosch-8-5-k...QHWAGPHFMDOEEI

In this one there is provision for the liquid but dont think it will be used only during the rinse cycle, either you can used the detergent powder or liquid and will be used during wash cycle.

Last edited by zaveed : 25th July 2019 at 18:09.
Old 25th July 2019, 18:36   #7218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaveed View Post
I bought the Bosch 8.5kg fully automatic (Direct Drive) top loading washing machine.
In this one there is provision for the liquid but dont think it will be used only during the rinse cycle, either you can used the detergent powder or liquid and will be used during wash cycle.
Congratulations! Did you get it online or from a store? I would be still curious about the liquid whitener/additive addition. May be you can share a mini review after using it for a while.

Regards,
Saket
Old 25th July 2019, 19:20   #7219
Senior - BHPian

I recently bought a top loading washing machine for my parents of Whirlpool brand. Since the washing machine would be mostly operated by the maid, decided to stick to top loading plus the frequency of usage wasn't going to be a daily basis but weekly usage. The model chosen was:
https://www.amazon.in/Whirlpool-7-5-...kitchen&sr=1-9

The delivery from Amazon was quick, installation was smooth, demo was
"good for dummies" kind, usage is good enough for senior citizens. Costed me Rs 15k approx. The machine comes with 2 yr comprehensive warranty and 10 yrs motor unconditional warranty. The only major expense could be the panel, need to check if I can get EW for the same.
Old 25th July 2019, 21:53   #7220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Congratulations! Did you get it online or from a store? I would be still curious about the liquid whitener/additive addition. May be you can share a mini review after using it for a while.

Regards,
Saket
Thank you , bought it online , the local dealer had quoted 32k which is the mrp on the box too, got it for 25k from Flipkart. Will ask my wife to drop the whitener during the rinse cycle and see how it works. Will let you know.

Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 09:53   #7221
BHPian

Quote:
There will be a chamber for adding the fabric conditioner. You can add the whitener there. I mix up some Robin liquid whitener with 2-3 spoon water and pour it in the fabric softener compartment.
Old 27th July 2019, 11:14   #7222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
There will be a chamber for adding the fabric conditioner. You can add the whitener there. I mix up some Robin liquid whitener with 2-3 spoon water and pour it in the fabric softener compartment.
Thanks Archat68.Looks like the model i bought does not have the chamber for adding conditioner. I checked the machine and as well as the user manual, its not mentioned anywhere.

Also i do not see a memory button on the machine, every time we switch on we need to set the cycles,is there any other way to activate the memory options?
Old 27th July 2019, 13:47   #7223
Team-BHP Support

I would like to thank everyone here in helping me with the washing machine selection and purchse.

I wanted to change our top loading machine (which was consuming 150 to 200 liters of water per wash) with an efficient front loader, my wife was very sceptical due to her previous experience with an IFB machine, which used to vibrate and move a lot during the spin cycle. After getting positive inputs about front loaders in this thread, I convinced my wife to try a front loader, and she reluctantly agreed, but warned me of the consequences if this machine also had the same problem.

From the inputs given in this thread, I shortlisted LG and Bosch. LG had the advantage of direct drive, and Bosch had a model with automatic detergent and conditioner dosing. As I got inputs from some friends who use Bosch that it is quite silent (as good as a direct drive), decied to go with Bosch. Selected the Serie-6 9kg model with i-Dos automatic dosing system. The cost was 70K. The dealer was willing to give 5% off on MRP. Amazon had 15% discount. When I was about to order in Amazon, a friend of friend who is a Bosch employee, helped me get 25% off on MRP from the dealer. So, I paid 52.5K.

As almost everyone here mentioned leveling is crucial for a stable operation, I ordered a spirit level well in advance from Amazon. As expected, the technician who came to install did not do anything to level the machine. I asked him to check the level and the machine was indeed not levelled properly (due to the small negative slope of the floor for water drainage). He then adjusted the feet to get an almost perfect leveling.

Using the spirit level to adjust the machine.
The Home Appliance thread-leveling.jpg

Left to right leveling.
The Home Appliance thread-leveling-left-right.jpg

Front to back leveling.
The Home Appliance thread-leveling-front-back.jpg

The machine after installation.
The Home Appliance thread-washing-machine.jpg

The dial is very good to operate and has a very good tactile feedback. There is a plethora of washing programs to choose from. If I expected my wife to follow instructions as given in the manual, like sorting the clothes and doing multiple washes for each clothe type, she would banish me from home. So, I think the mostly used programs would be "Cotton" for bed sheets and "Mixed" for daily laundry and drum clean once a month.
The Home Appliance thread-dial.jpg

The control panel is touch sensitive. No complex configurations or settings. The settings are neatly organized - like temperature, spin cycle RPM, detergent and conditioner levels to use, additional rinse cycles etc. When a program is selected, all the options get selected automatically, and can be modified if necessary. Options can be modified even as the washing is in progress, but only the options that can be modified will be on. For example, once the washing cycle is over, if you try to change the i-Dos setting for detergent, that icon would disappear.
The Home Appliance thread-screen.jpg

The touch screen is resistive and hence does not get affected by water. Even capacitive touch screens are water proof these days.
The Home Appliance thread-screen-water.jpg

The detergent tray has one compartment for liquid detergent, one compartment for liquid conditioner which are for automatic dosing, and one open compartment for adding powder detergent if we decide not to use automatic dosing. The machine also flashes the i-Dos icon for detergent or conditioner when the level becomes low. Per user manual, after this warning, you can run three washing cycles.
The Home Appliance thread-detergent-tray.jpg

The liquid detergent.
The Home Appliance thread-detergent.jpg

The liquid conditioner.
The Home Appliance thread-conditioner.jpg

The verdict:
With fingers crossed, I ran the first load. My fate was hanging in the balance. The machine entered the spin cycle, there was a smile on my wife's face, and I let a big sigh of relief. The machine was stable even beyond my expectations. At 1400RPM spin cycle, you could just feel a light vibration on the body. And the machine is super silent, makes about one fifth the sound the top loading machine used to make. With the doubt about vibration and the machine running away cleared, now my wife is very happy with the convenience the machine offers. No need to add detergent or conditioner or clean the filter every day (the filter needs to be cleaned once every month when the drum is cleaned). Just load the laundry and press start, as simple as it could get.

And I am happy for the below reason. In the "Mix" mode that we use every day, the machine consumes just 45 liters of water, less than a third or even a fourth of what the top loading machine consumed. Even if I allowed for 30% error in the spec, it would still be around 60 liters of water.
The Home Appliance thread-consumption.jpg

Once again, thank you friends, for all the valuable inputs.

Last edited by graaja : 27th July 2019 at 13:49.
Old 27th July 2019, 14:06   #7224
Senior - BHPian

Not an issue. I see in your manual that there are two compartments, one for powder and another for liquid. Use a liquid detergent that also has fabric conditioner. Powder detergent is mostly powdered white stone, as it is.

Quote:
Looks like the model i bought does not have the chamber for adding conditioner.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-img_3182.jpg  

Old 27th July 2019, 14:14   #7225
Distinguished - BHPian

Ha! Automatic dosing with liquid detergent is a new washing-machine concept to me!
Old 27th July 2019, 20:24   #7226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Not an issue. I see in your manual that there are two compartments, one for powder and another for liquid. Use a liquid detergent that also has fabric conditioner. Powder detergent is mostly powdered white stone, as it is.
Thank you.Will check this one out.
Old 29th July 2019, 08:39   #7227
BHPian

In market to purchase 15L 2KW storage geysers for our home. We earlier had "Ariston" geysers which have served us well enough for 15 years, but now their tank has decayed and is on the verge of cracking.

We want square shaped geysers, since that is the only shape that works in our bathroom.

Need brand suggestions. I am shortlisting at the moment - Orient Electric, AO Smith & Jaquar.

Thanks!
Old 29th July 2019, 09:52   #7228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
We want square shaped geysers, since that is the only shape that works in our bathroom.
over the past year, I have purchased 6 AO Smith units that display the temperature of the water, for our home as well as cousins and a friend. They work well and look good too.
Old 29th July 2019, 10:28   #7229
Senior - BHPian

Ariston is called Racold in India. I don't trust any other brand for water heaters since they last few decades at least. So get Racold. AO Smith is also good.

Quote:
We earlier had "Ariston" geysers which have served us well enough for 15 years
Old 29th July 2019, 10:29   #7230
BANNED

Quote:

Need brand suggestions. I am shortlisting at the moment - Orient Electric, AO Smith & Jaquar.
Racold. V Guard.

I'll need one or more within next few months for our new apartmen. Latter seems to be more expensive at the brick and mortar store, compared to online prices of Racold models. Currently using a racold one for some 14 years. Any reason not to consider solar?

I suggest you go for storage types - there are 15 L 2kW models in storage types too- since they are more efficient and have better insulation. Also, do you mean your bathroom has space constraints for installation when you say you need square models?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks