Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2019, 20:05   #7051
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
You should look at this wipro one. I have it in all my rooms and have also installed it for my cousin and recommended to my friend. It has a 4000k setting that you can use. The rate is lower than what you see on this link and all my lights were sourced from pepperfry. You can find a local dealer and order it through him but doubt you can match the online prices.
https://www.wiproconsumerlighting.co...hanging-batten
+1 to this. The Wipro batten comes with 3 light options... Although you need only one. But I have 2 of them at home and working really well...
Old 18th March 2019, 09:12   #7052
BHPian

Re: CORVI LED Lighting for home, anyone ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
You should look at this wipro one. I have it in all my rooms and have also installed it for my cousin and recommended to my friend. It has a 4000k setting that you can use. The rate is lower than what you see on this link and all my lights were sourced from pepperfry. You can find a local dealer and order it through him but doubt you can match the online prices.
https://www.wiproconsumerlighting.co...hanging-batten

Thanks diyguy and deep_bang. Yes, I am aware of this product, and did research it sometime back. What I remember learning is that it doesn't have memory, and defaults back to some particular colour temperature on turning off! This means that if I'm interested in 4000K only, I'd have to switch on-and-off multiple times to set my choice everytime I need to turn the light on! This would be really inconvenient, as all I need is 4000K always, and don't care about the other two colours.

-- Any knowledge about the Corvi brand ? Thanks again.
Old 18th March 2019, 09:49   #7053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
Hello friends,

There is another potential issue with Corvi LEDs: -- owing to the much higher efficiency, the surface light intensity expected is roughly twice as high as that of Philips! Would that be a major problem if one happens to look directly at the light? Any first hand experience?
Any LED light - even the ubiquitous indicator lights can cause eye damage if you look at it. A study in Europe found that LED radiation caused significant damage to human retinal pigment epithelial cells in vitro. You are not expected to stare/gaze at the source of light.
Old 18th March 2019, 10:09   #7054
Distinguished - BHPian

How often should we descale washing machines and dishwashers? I neglected to do it for the last 3 years and then had to call the technicians to do it professionally. A huge amount of gunk came out of both (drum + outlet pipes) as our place has pretty hard water.

Now that both machines are 'clean', how often should I descale them going forward? The WM is used daily once on weekdays + twice on weekends. The DW at least once a week. I don't want to harm the machines either by using too harsh a product or carrying it out too frequently.

Found these products on Amazon too. Any tips? I think the LG techs used the LG product below:

Fortune:
https://www.amazon.in/Fortune-Multi-...ashing+machine

IFB
https://www.amazon.in/TransformTM-Es...ashing+machine

Bosch
https://www.amazon.in/Bosch-Descaler...ashing+machine

LG:
https://www.amazon.in/Smart-Shelter-...ashing+machine

Last edited by itwasntme : 18th March 2019 at 10:16.
Old 18th March 2019, 10:40   #7055
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks diyguy and deep_bang. Yes, I am aware of this product, and did research it sometime back. What I remember learning is that it doesn't have memory, and defaults back to some particular colour temperature on turning off! This means that if I'm interested in 4000K only, I'd have to switch on-and-off multiple times to set my choice everytime I need to turn the light on! This would be really inconvenient, as all I need is 4000K always, and don't care about the other two colours.

-- Any knowledge about the Corvi brand ? Thanks again.
I have been using 6W Corvi LED battens for couple of years now. Came across them in Amazon when looking for neutral white ones for kitchen under-cabinet light. The 6W one that I bought is a bit too bright for that purpose, I had not specifically looked at Lumen output at that time and went by wattage and was not expecting this much brightness, so had to mask it with DIY shades for the desired lighting. Another surprise was that the AC-DC power adapter required at-least 165V, unlike most other ones which work at 110V as well. So in many a low voltage scenarios they didn't turn on. One of them stopped functioning after one such voltage fluctuation recently.
Old 19th March 2019, 09:57   #7056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Any LED light - even the ubiquitous indicator lights can cause eye damage if you look at it. A study in Europe found that LED radiation caused significant damage to human retinal pigment epithelial cells in vitro. You are not expected to stare/gaze at the source of light.

Thanks. But I wasn't talking about looking at them by choice! In the modern world one doesn't need to look skyward for 'daylight' sources, -- they're right there near eye level, -- especially in modern apartments with ceilings not much above the head. So one can't always help looking at them, albeit momentarily! Hence the need to look for less uncomfortable options, given the choice, -- and the reason I never buy products like emergency lamps with bare LEDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
I have been using 6W Corvi LED battens for couple of years now. .... The 6W one that I bought is a bit too bright for that purpose, I had not specifically looked at Lumen output at that time and went by wattage and was not expecting this much brightness, so had to mask it with DIY shades for the desired lighting.

The Corvi LED lights are supposed to be dimmable, and do work quite okay when dimmed within reason. Didn't you try that?

Quote:
Another surprise was that the AC-DC power adapter required at-least 165V, unlike most other ones which work at 110V as well. So in many a low voltage scenarios they didn't turn on. One of them stopped functioning after one such voltage fluctuation recently.

Thanks. This is surprising, and useful information. Didn't you try their supposed "Lifetime Warranty" for the failed product ? If you did, it would be nice to know about your experience.

Last edited by meerkat : 19th March 2019 at 09:59.
Old 21st March 2019, 12:03   #7057
BHPian

Quote:
The Corvi LED lights are supposed to be dimmable, and do work quite okay when dimmed within reason. Didn't you try that?
I think these battens are not dimmable as the AC-DC adapter is built-in, so can't connect a dimmer in between. Of course, they don't dim when AC voltage goes down...

Quote:
Thanks. This is surprising, and useful information. Didn't you try their supposed "Lifetime Warranty" for the failed product ? If you did, it would be nice to know about your experience.
I wasn't aware of the lifetime warranty from Corvi, thanks, will try to find the details
Old 22nd March 2019, 13:07   #7058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
I think these battens are not dimmable as the AC-DC adapter is built-in, so can't connect a dimmer in between. Of course, they don't dim when AC voltage goes down...

According to Corvi brochures, dimmability is a "standard feature" built into all their LED lighting! One only needs an LED-light-specific external dimmer. In fact I've myself seen it demonstrated by a dealer for their Flat and Surface lights, as well as their 2' LED batten! Dimming worked perfectly for the Flat and Surface lights, and acceptably for the batten down to some 60% - 70% luminance at least, below which light from the batten was not quite uniform, -- some dark segments appeared along the length (presumably between separate banks of LEDs), and even below that one such bank (about 25% of the length on one end) failed to light! Of course, I don't know if an appropriate dimmer was used, or just one that was handy. The Flat and Surface lights remained uniformly lit, however!

Quote:
I wasn't aware of the lifetime warranty from Corvi, thanks, will try to find the details
Please keep us updated about your experience in this regard. Thanks.

One other thing, -- Philips claim a 160V - 360V voltage range for their LED tubes, i.e. the lower limit is not very different from the 165V for the Corvi that you experienced! Which brands claim to go down to 110V ?!

Last edited by meerkat : 22nd March 2019 at 13:11.
Old 25th March 2019, 10:14   #7059
BHPian

Quote:

Philips claim a 160V - 360V voltage range for their LED tubes, i.e. the lower limit is not very different from the 165V for the Corvi that you experienced! Which brands claim to go down to 110V ?!
I would take Philips claims with a pinch of salt. I have had half a dozen Philips LED bulbs failure in the recent past. It is a pain to claim warranty with these bulbs.

Usually a LED bulb fails in 2 ways: they become less bright by the day towards their end of life. Actually most manufacturers of LED will tell you that they have a life in excess of 20000- 50000 hours depending upon the manufacturer. Only CREE (USA)bulbs last long. Chinese bulbs/ unbranded chips believe in luck.

The other way LED bulbs fail is they start pulsing - high brightness and off. I had opened up a couple of Philips bulbs and found that they use unbranded LED chips one of which had shorted. That is the reason why the charging circuitry was pulsing. At least it had not failed in a catastrophic manner or else it may have caused a short circuit in the power line possibly with disastrous consequence.

Earlier the incandescent bulbs failed by just becoming open circuit. Less stress for the wires and the house owner. Even CFLs failed by becoming open circuit due to a thermal fuse.

Last edited by Prowler : 25th March 2019 at 10:16.
Old 25th March 2019, 10:40   #7060
BANNED

I need to get LG Service for both my Fridge (broken wheel) and dishwasher (seems to be dead with some solenoids have conked off).

Any contact details please.
Old 25th March 2019, 10:41   #7061
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I need to get LG Service for both my Fridge (broken wheel) and dishwasher (seems to be dead with some solenoids have conked off).

https://www.lg.com/in/support/contact/telephone
Old 25th March 2019, 14:37   #7062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

LG has a service helpline where they book service for all their products.
Old 25th March 2019, 20:53   #7063
BHPian

Quote:
I would take Philips claims with a pinch of salt. I have had half a dozen Philips LED bulbs failure in the recent past. It is a pain to claim warranty with these bulbs. ............

I had opened up a couple of Philips bulbs and found that they use unbranded LED chips one of which had shorted. That is the reason why the charging circuitry was pulsing. At least it had not failed in a catastrophic manner or else it may have caused a short circuit in the power line possibly with disastrous consequence.

That's interesting! So there's no point going for Philips by paying inflated prices anymore! I wonder if such experirences are becoming the norm since Philips Lighting was sold off ! For one thing, the days of easy access to impressive technical data about Philips products are apparently a thing of the past!

But I'd be surprised if, in developed countries, Philips can get away with marketing products that have the potential of catastrophic failure like you worried about. As with so many products from big companies, I suspect inferior products for markets like India.

Quote:
Usually a LED bulb fails in 2 ways: they become less bright by the day towards their end of life. Actually most manufacturers of LED will tell you that they have a life in excess of 20000- 50000 hours depending upon the manufacturer. Only CREE (USA)bulbs last long. Chinese bulbs/ unbranded chips believe in luck.
For much of the LED lighting available in India, the actual life is dictated by that of the driver circuits rather than the rated life of the LEDs themselves. I have a 3W-rated Eveready bulb (4000K, bought when they were still available) that generates heat that could cook food! Of course the electronics inside will soon be well done! 3W indeed! Funny how companies can get away with all sorts of outrageous claims in India!

Quote:
Earlier the incandescent bulbs failed by just becoming open circuit.
It's interesting how the failure modes of incandescents differ in India vs. the US, for example. At least here Indians came out ahead! In the US, after a designed number of hours on the clock, incandescents just burn out like old-type flash bulbs, with the filaments disintegrating. Filaments in Indian incandescents often used to break at a single point. I used to have a lot of fun as a kid turning the bulb around carefully to make the filament segments touch again, -- often the bulb would then run again for months!

There are 'cottage industries' in India replacing CFL drivers for a few bucks so the bulbs would run again for a while! Perhaps such shops would appear in due time to fix the LEDs too!
Old 25th March 2019, 22:35   #7064
Distinguished - BHPian

I had picked up some Eveready 9W LED bulbs, but found at least a couple to be dim - and definitely after some usage each day. I finally pulled it out and now testing a Wipro Tejas. The Eveready goes into one of the less used areas
Old 26th March 2019, 16:24   #7065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Definitely true. Even though I'm using them in most of the house now, the lighting even when not very bright has a lot of "dazzle" to it. It's even more annoying on vehicles. Atleast in the white shades this is because the led diodes produce blue light. Somehow I find tubes to be better. CRI is also an important factor to take into consideration with LEDs.

Did you guys know that atleast in several parts of Mumbai T5 fluorescent fittings are not available at all anymore !! Replacement tubes are available and also some quantity of T8 fittings and tubes but it seems like T5 fluorescents have been completely phased out in favour of LED tubes

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks