Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: Do you face any Problems with TATA Sky?
Yes 141 39.61%
No 215 60.39%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2011, 17:00   #286
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Sky Thread

they give only 300/- back? i paid 8999/- for that TS+ box!

when i inquired about the HD+ thingy, they said they would give 500/- back into my account. this was about a week back (they had a stall in Inox).

btw, i've subscribed to the Annual Mega pack. if i change to the HD+, will i need to pay additional charges for the HD channels?
Old 9th November 2011, 17:06   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post

when i inquired about the HD+ thingy, they said they would give 500/- back into my account. this was about a week back (they had a stall in Inox).

btw, i've subscribed to the Annual Mega pack. if i change to the HD+, will i need to pay additional charges for the HD channels?
Annual mega pack gets you all.
no additional "pack" needed.
same migration, but a step ahead, in that i have the hd box.
vanilla->ts+->hd
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2011, 17:50   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I too have been a Tata Sky customer for 5 years and also had a great experience with them till now except for minor hiccups. In your above case, i dont see a problem, even if TS charged the full amount, you can call HDFC and get the amount converted to 6-Month EMI within 30 days of your purchase? Can't you?

Today, I took the decision of moving from the conventional box to HD and have ordered for Tata Sky HD+ and paid Rs.3999. What I'll get is :-

1. Rs.300 credit back to my account since i will be handing over my existing box to them

2. Free Installation and it comes with the set-top Box, HDMI cable and remote

3. Till 60 days, HD Gold Channel pack is FREE consisting of 8-channels. Further to 2 months, its Rs.75/month

4. The set-top box comes with 625 hours worth of recording. Cant wait to record all my favorite TG, NG, Discovery shows

They promised to install it within 48 hours. Let's see how it goes......
Yupp I got exactly the same deal. The trouble with asking HDFC to convert into EMI is that they charge a fee for that. What Tata Sky promised me was that there is no processing fee or interest charge for a 3/6 month EMI option. Which is why I went for the EMI option (who doesn't like freebies?). I would have bought the box anyway but.

I did see that Tata Sky was offering the HD+ box for 2k or something. This was running on the 100 channel a few days ago; not sure if it is still valid or what was the catch with that offer? Check it out.

Text of the email received from Tata Sky customer care more than two months ago:

To: nkapoor777@yahoo.com
Sent: Thursday, 8 September 2011 7:00 PM
Subject: Direct Sale Refund

Respected Sir,

Sub ID: 1000766459
Mr Nitin Kapoor,
As per the conversation this mail is refrence to the transation, you have done for the HD+ box (RS3999)
Sir you have asked to do transation of RS3999 in EMI, Due to our mistake the transation done with out EMI, Sorry for the same.
So we have taken the refund request, the amount would be credited in your CC A/C in next 05 to 07 Business Days.
The transation ID for the full Payment 1-11270925984.
The request ID for refund 1-11385113367
Regards
Tata Sky
[THREAD ID:1-58APS94]

Last edited by nkapoor777 : 9th November 2011 at 17:57.
Old 10th November 2011, 11:21   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post

Tata Sky does not go out of the way to offer freebies, I tried my nego skills with them. I got 300 back because I had the conventional box and you must have got 500 back because you may have exchanged your Tata Sky+ set-top box. Check this link, bottom of the page ( DTH India - Tata Sky Offers)

How much is the Annual Mega Pack?

And, did you really pay 9K for the TS HD+ box? When was this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Annual mega pack gets you all.
no additional "pack" needed.
same migration, but a step ahead, in that i have the hd box.
vanilla->ts+->hd
Is yours just HD or HD+. If i understand correctly + means you can record as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
Yupp I got exactly the same deal. The trouble with asking HDFC to convert into EMI is that they charge a fee for that. What Tata Sky promised me was that there is no processing fee or interest charge for a 3/6 month EMI option. Which is why I went for the EMI option (who doesn't like freebies?). I would have bought the box anyway but.
Oh,Ok..I agree, who doesnt like freebies. But, I have realized long back that there is nothing called a free meal...everyone makes you pay through the nose.

I am lucky to be a preferred customer for HDFC bank and CC (World Card) and any EMI is free conversion and many a times they obliged even if i surpassed the 30 day conversion limit period.

TS folks called me this morning if they can come and install the HD+ box but, I asked them to drop in tomorrow. I can give this to them. Promptness !!!
Old 10th November 2011, 11:51   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tata Sky does not go out of the way to offer freebies, I tried my nego skills with them. I got 300 back because I had the conventional box and you must have got 500 back because you may have exchanged your Tata Sky+ set-top box. Check this link, bottom of the page ( DTH India - Tata Sky Offers)
oh, then that might be the case.

Quote:
How much is the Annual Mega Pack?
6k, which includes 12 movies on demand

Quote:
And, did you really pay 9K for the TS HD+ box? When was this?
yeah (if memory serves right), paid for it more than a year back when TS+ was the only recording thingy around (quickly followed by Reliance and Airtel). haven't exchanged it yet. ain't gonna give them back something worth 9k for 500/-! will try to use it in our guest bedroom.

btw, it was TS+. HD+ didn't exist back then.

Quote:
Is yours just HD or HD+. If i understand correctly + means you can record as well?
yep, one can record programs only on the TS+ and the TS HD+ boxes. the + boxes have two cables (instead of the usual one) coming down from the LNB; one for live viewing and the other for recording.

Edit: found this link showing the old price of TS+: http://india-it-pulse.blogspot.com/2...its-price.html

Last edited by IronH4WK : 10th November 2011 at 11:58.
Old 11th November 2011, 15:15   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Sky HD+ is finally installed. They have been practically haunting me ever since I booked to come and install but, I got it installed today based on my convenience

HD channels will get activated only after 48 hours, it seems

There is an immediate change to the color palette due to the HDMI input

They were nice to explain the entire features patiently and there were some eye opening facts like :-

a) Suppose you record some programs and later decide to drop that channel. Even the recorded programs of that channel will be deleted. So basically, to view recorded programs that program channel should be active on your box

b) You can record the programs even if your not home. Just keep the box ON, no need for TV to be switched on

c) There is something called VoD where Tatasky will send movies for free viewing and we can go to this section to view them. According to the installer, about 4 movies will be sent each week and can be viewed, paused, rewinded and fast forwarded according to our convenience and will stay put for a week...All this is FREE...Nice

Overall, awesome experience till now. Can't wait for the HD channels to get activated !!!
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Sky Thread-img2011111100667.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2011, 15:24   #292
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations! Welcome to the + world. Btw, there is a TataSky app for iPhone and Android to browse channels, use as a remote and trigger programs to be recorded remotely.

Take your time, you'll figure it out

Last edited by IronH4WK : 11th November 2011 at 15:25.
Old 11th November 2011, 15:29   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tata Sky HD+ is finally installed. They have been practically haunting me ever since I booked to come and install but, I got it installed today based on my convenience

HD channels will get activated only after 48 hours, it seems

There is an immediate change to the color palette due to the HDMI input

They were nice to explain the entire features patiently and there were some eye opening facts like :-

a) Suppose you record some programs and later decide to drop that channel. Even the recorded programs of that channel will be deleted. So basically, to view recorded programs that program channel should be active on your box

b) You can record the programs even if your not home. Just keep the box ON, no need for TV to be switched on

c) There is something called VoD where Tatasky will send movies for free viewing and we can go to this section to view them. According to the installer, about 4 movies will be sent each week and can be viewed, paused, rewinded and fast forwarded according to our convenience and will stay put for a week...All this is FREE...Nice

Overall, awesome experience till now. Can't wait for the HD channels to get activated !!!
Congratulations...The HD channels will blow you away.

Points a and point c in your post are new to me...thanks.

After seeing HD now for almost 14months(13months on HD and now 1 month on HD+), I don't feel like watching normal channels anymore.
The Discoveries, NGCs and the Cricket, and now the Soccer matches and F1 events on HD...I'm more than happy.

One more good feature is this Set top box manufactured by Philips is 3D Ready.
Though I'm not a big fan of 3D on TV, but feels good that this box is ready for the future when 3D channels are started.

I hope they told you that, you cannot record more than two channels at once.
And when you are recording two channels, you must be watching any one of them, you cannot switch to the third channel.

Enjoy your new gadget.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 11th November 2011 at 15:31.
Old 11th November 2011, 15:52   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand

And when you are recording two channels, you must be watching any one of them, you cannot switch to the third channel.

Enjoy your new gadget.
I kicked myself when I found you could do the following :
Record 2 and watch a recorded program.
So many wasted hours when I had to watch masterchef or Melissa and Joey or something just cos the Mrs was recording 2 channels!!
Now its csi anytime!!
Old 11th November 2011, 15:59   #295
Senior - BHPian

Umm.. is this a feature of HD+ or can this be done on TS+ too?

(I'm getting ready to kick myself)

Old 11th November 2011, 16:01   #296
Senior - BHPian

I am wondering why everyone is surrendering their previous STB (especially one with recording feature) for a paltry amount. Would it not be a better idea to retain the old STB and go for a multi room connection ?

Tata Sky charges only Rs 160 (IIRC) per month for the second connection, irrespective of the channel package subscribed. All channels subscribed on the primary connection are available on the second connection as well.

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 11th November 2011 at 16:04.
Old 11th November 2011, 16:06   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr
I am wondering why everyone is surrendering their previous STP for a paltry amount (especially one with recording feature).

Would it not be a better idea to retain the old STB and go for a multi room connection ?

Tata Sky charges only Rs 160 (IIRC) per month for the second connection, irrespective of the channel package subscribed. All channels subscribed on the primary connection are available on the second connection as well.

Rohan
Yep, that's what I plan to do when I get the HD+ (I can watch my programs and record them too). Ain't gonna give them something for 500/- for which I paid 9k

Last edited by IronH4WK : 11th November 2011 at 16:07.
Old 11th November 2011, 16:16   #298
Senior - BHPian

I have got HD installed in the living room which has the 5.1 channel audio and have shifted the std box to my bedroom for smaller 19", It pays to get the annual mega pack with 12 movies free thrown in. The multi room feature is Rs.165/month. That's not bad. Service has been quite good and great to watch matches in HD and 5.1 channel surround sound Dolby and its like being there with out the sweat and the crowds and get a better view sitting at home.
Old 11th November 2011, 16:31   #299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I am wondering why everyone is surrendering their previous STB (especially one with recording feature) for a paltry amount. Would it not be a better idea to retain the old STB and go for a multi room connection ?

Rohan
I have not given back my old normal HD STB back to those guys because I plan to use it as a multiroom connection sometime in the future when kids want to watch cartoons only.

But If people don't want to have a second connection, its just an electronic waste in the house. It better to give it back even if its for a paltry sum

TS has a stupid policy that the STB is non-transferable.
I had planned to sell my earlier 1 week old HD STB to a colleague of mine for 1300/- (1 week old because my HD box was replaced for some problem)
We called the TS customer care for doing that and they said that the STBs aren't transferable
Old 11th November 2011, 16:39   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I hope they told you that, you cannot record more than two channels at once.
And when you are recording two channels, you must be watching any one of them, you cannot switch to the third channel. Enjoy your new gadget.
Yes, I forgot add to that to my points. They explained that as well in detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I surrendered my 5 year old box and got 300Rs. credited to my account. So its a pretty good deal. Besides, I have the TV in my living room with the HT set-up and absolutely against having a TV in my bedroom.....

Most Viewed