Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you face any Problems with TATA Sky?
Yes 141 39.61%
No 215 60.39%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2011, 16:47   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Tata Sky Thread

^^^ thanks Omishra for your explanation. But I have few more queries.

1. Isn't the water the main problem? Whether if its from the roof or from the skies?

2. The first time when I faced the signal problem, I had called the Tata-sky executive to re-align the dish.
Even after that, I face the problem, but only during rains-Otherwise my STB signal is equally good as my neighbour's.

That's why I felt its not an issue with the alignment and that's why i felt this workaround might just work.
Old 5th April 2011, 17:57   #212
BHPian

I had a peculiar experience during this world cup. I live in a society where there are other buildings opposite to my building. During matches I used to hear shouts of other people first and then would see a wicket fall. The lag was about 5 to 7 seconds. It was quite annoying. Kind of I knew what is gonna happen now. I think there are other dth operators whose transmission had much less lag from the moment the ball was bowled till it was shown to the viewer. Any ideas which operator is fastest?
Old 5th April 2011, 18:05   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

^^
neighbours, eh?
my house has 2 sets on dishtv, one on tatasky.
I faced the lag when finally the one dishtv and the tatasky were watching the WC matches.
My mom used to exhort the players on the dish, and i used to understand wha it was a second later on the tata.

Understandable?
different DTH?

Ok, both dishtvs are watching saas bahu.
and that music that comes on, when the camera pans into the face of a character 3 times(tadang-tadang TADANG!!)
I used to hear it six times!!!!
how is that possible for the same dth, and from the same satellite dish??
Old 6th April 2011, 06:48   #214
BANNED

Re: TATA Sky..Usb Tv Tuner + MAC OSX

Thanks for the response. The plan is simple and many uses it to avoid separate Tv set.When a USB TV tuner is connected to computer-monitor.
TV signal can be routed thro TV tuner card or USB Tv Tuner.

since TV tuner like AVER (http://www.avermedia-usa.com/AVerTV/ ) has option to connect Tata sky and other DTH. we could watch Tv on monitor.The output quality depends on the TV Tuner & monitor but the idea of avoiding a TV has become primary need.

By the way i have not mentioned any issues. i was only looking for better solution for 'A USB TV Tuner which does this effectively on imac 20inch monitor with Tata Sky with OSX or Win7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
I may be OT here - but I like to know what you are trying? Basically I did not understand Tata Sky and USB TV Tuner connections. Are you feeding modulated TS box RF signal (VHF) to USB TV Tuner card? and which you are unable to tune in? Is there some other connection type also possible?

If my assumptions are correct then signal modulated over RF (analog) will be anyway degraded? Now second question, USB Tuner performance under certain OS is dependent on underline driver, so I have no answer for that.

Last edited by shapath : 6th April 2011 at 06:56. Reason: AVER link
Old 6th April 2011, 13:40   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestone View Post
Does this happen when a "code with blue background" (relatively small in size) appearing on the screen? I have observed the same problem and the remote responds once this code disappears, till the time code is there on the screen none of the function on remote works, I haven’t checked the power on/off though. Just check your are facing the problem when code is appearing..
In my remote, power on/off and Channel +/- works. But the remote itself behaves strange. When I am increasing the volume, channel changes and vice versa. Some times even number 0 comes up on the screen while adjusting volume.
Old 6th April 2011, 13:43   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsudarsan View Post
In my remote, power on/off and Channel +/- works. But the remote itself behaves strange. When I am increasing the volume, channel changes and vice versa. Some times even number 0 comes up on the screen while adjusting volume.

sounds more like a problem within the remote.
Open it up, and go over the board with a soft eraser, very gently.
wash out (and dry) the rubber button's panel.

if it still doesnt work, the Universal remotes(700-900) bucks works with tata sky codes.
Old 7th April 2011, 12:01   #217
BHPian

Sorry for late reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
1. Isn't the water the main problem? Whether if its from the roof or from the skies?
Water layer is a problem, I agree. But look at the layers- first rain drops falling from cloud standing in between dish and satellite. This could be tolerated to some extent except heavy downpour added with electrically charged clouds. Second some more water, (I call thick layer of water) heavy downfall from roof on the signal collector. This is surely kill the signal which is survived through rain drops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
2. The first time when I faced the signal problem, I had called the Tata-sky executive to re-align the dish.
Even after that, I face the problem, but only during rains-Otherwise my STB signal is equally good as my neighbor's.

That's why I felt its not an issue with the alignment and that's why i felt this workaround might just work.
look at the mast over which LNBC is installed. Look in its the direction towards satellite (you wont be able see the Satellite ). But your dish antenna must have 45 degrees clearance on all sides from that axis. Trees, another building etc to be looked for.

That's why if dish is installed on/near east, south-east facing walls (or corner) then that had less gain compared to dish on plain ground/roof. This is due to multiple reflection of signal. Thanks to dish antenna used which are shallow and LNBC is mounted offset from center of paraboloid (shape of dish surface). These are lowest gain ( & least directional properties) dish antenna survived on strong signals.

Solution: Move dish to other clear location. Look at the surrounding environment of your neighbor's dish and try to match that.

BTW, TS has better quality of material compared to other DTH service providers.
Old 7th April 2011, 12:19   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
sounds more like a problem within the remote.
Open it up, and go over the board with a soft eraser, very gently.
wash out (and dry) the rubber button's panel.

if it still doesnt work, the Universal remotes(700-900) bucks works with tata sky codes.
Agree with mayank, it's purely remote issue.

Cheers !!!
Old 7th April 2011, 12:49   #219
BANNED

Recently upgraded the DTH boxes in both rooms to Tata Sky + HD and Taka Sky HD, everything is OK but I am not happy with the interface of Tata Sky HD specially the feature of selecting the channels with their group as there's nothing like group in this like entertainment, movies, sports, news its just all channel and I have to keep on pressing the up or down button or just have to recall the three digit channel number which is tough for most of the channels, just as a temporary solution I have added my fav channels to my Fav but again here limitation of 20 channel is there.
Old 7th April 2011, 12:55   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Recently upgraded the DTH boxes in both rooms to Tata Sky + HD and Taka Sky HD, everything is OK but I am not happy with the interface of Tata Sky HD specially the feature of selecting the channels with their group as there's nothing like group in this like entertainment, movies, sports, news its just all channel and I have to keep on pressing the up or down button or just have to recall the three digit channel number which is tough for most of the channels, just as a temporary solution I have added my fav channels to my Fav but again here limitation of 20 channel is there.
There ARE groups.
Look for the "genre" notification in the information bar when you're in the channel guide.
HD doesnt have the 20 channel limit.
Old 7th April 2011, 13:23   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
After you select all channels, press the green button which gives you the groups.

edit: It is what is the "Genre" that mayankk has mentioned above
Old 7th April 2011, 15:07   #222
BHPian

Quote:
HD doesnt have the 20 channel limit.
It is there, I have TS HD+.
Old 7th April 2011, 15:10   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is there, I have TS HD+.
same here.
I currently have 26 tuned from 900 to 925, with no notice so far of no more being available.
if you have that limit, call up TS guys and ask them why you dont have more.
Old 8th April 2011, 12:11   #224
Senior - BHPian

For the Cricket World Cup, I upgraded from normal to HD+. What came as a surprise is that I got a new larger dish. On inquiry, the installer said that the larger dish is to get better signal, especially during rains, and that they were thinking of free upgrade for long time customers. The old set top box is now collecting dust, though if I want and additional connection, then I can use it.

As others have commented, the HD+ UI sucks. I prefer the old UI.

My old remote works with HD+, so we now have an extra working remote.

Another problem. If the HD+ disk fills up, then the box freezes. Diagnosed this after we started recording series, and the box started freezing within a week. After few trials, deleted a lot of recorded programs, and no more freez!

Last edited by Aroy : 8th April 2011 at 12:13.
Old 16th April 2011, 03:15   #225

Note from Support: Please avoid excessively dotty posts. Thanks!

Quote:
Sorry for late reply.

Water layer is a problem, I agree. But look at the layers- first rain drops falling from cloud standing in between dish and satellite. This could be tolerated to some extent except heavy downpour added with electrically charged clouds. Second some more water, (I call thick layer of water) heavy downfall from roof on the signal collector. This is surely kill the signal which is survived through rain drops.

look at the mast over which LNBC is installed. Look in its the direction towards satellite (you wont be able see the Satellite ). But your dish antenna must have 45 degrees clearance on all sides from that axis. Trees, another building etc to be looked for.

That's why if dish is installed on/near east, south-east facing walls (or corner) then that had less gain compared to dish on plain ground/roof. This is due to multiple reflection of signal. Thanks to dish antenna used which are shallow and LNBC is mounted offset from center of paraboloid (shape of dish surface). These are lowest gain ( & least directional properties) dish antenna survived on strong signals.

Solution: Move dish to other clear location. Look at the surrounding environment of your neighbor's dish and try to match that.

BTW, TS has better quality of material compared to other DTH service providers.

I second that, TS has awesome quality especially with HD+ ... and with Star HD on it...wow...

The HD+ has a Signal meter indicating both Signal Strength and "Signal Quality", hidden inside the service menu i dont have the settings upfront but googling should get it...With this menu option we should be able to Adjust the Antenna's direction for optimum signal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks