Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you face any Problems with TATA Sky?
Yes 141 39.61%
No 215 60.39%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2011, 15:04   #256
BANNED

re: The Tata Sky Thread

I am also facing problems with the volume fluctuating between various channels. I did not face this with the pre HD system. I suspect it is the HDMI interface which is contributing to the problem.

Also, need the key sequence for initiating a firmware reload on the HD+?
Old 6th June 2011, 19:26   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Yeah whats with the remote not working when that code comes up on the screen?
Also, with the rains onset, only the normal Settop box has issues with reception. The HD service does not get affected. Is it only my observation?
Its the signals which get impacted nothing to do with HD or non-HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am also facing problems with the volume fluctuating between various channels. I did not face this with the pre HD system. I suspect it is the HDMI interface which is contributing to the problem.

Its because HD channels are Dolby Digital Plus Surround whereas SD are Stereo. There will be difference between the sound levels.

If its between various SD channels its a problem, but not related to HDMI. HDMI is only a medium of interface between STB and TV.
Old 6th June 2011, 20:06   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

did you face this problem even with AVL(volume levelling) enabled?
Old 23rd June 2011, 12:53   #259
BHPian

Guys, i was facing huge problems with rain during the past few months. So i thought it happens with all tata sky people. During the past few days there was no signal in some channels even when it was not raining and obviosly even slight rain would disturb my viewing in other channels also. I decided to call the customer care and complain since now i had enough, if cant be resolved then would switch my provider. So these guys were like they would send a service guy to solve my issues(The service is very promt must appreciate them).
So the next day these guys came, and they checked my signal test and strength and found it to be weak. They replaced the lnb and said this would solve the problem. I checked the signal and found not much of a difference. I insisted i wanted a new dish, whatever it may cost(since i am not on warranty). They said ok and replaced the dish. The old dish compared to the new one is about 30 per smaller. That also did not improve the strength(they were again insisting it would be ok). Without significant difference in the strength i would not budge cause once before also they changed the lnb and the problem remained. I finally asked them to change the location of my dish. Bingo! The signal strength and quality improved drastically, and now rains no rains no difference to my signal. I am happily watchin even during rain wo any difference whatsoever. SHOCKED!! A small thing can improve things so drastically. A point where i could not watch television and to a point where i watch it at any point of time.

so guys anyone who is having problems with the rain follow the steps below:

1. Call up the customer care and be firm and ask for a checkup.

2. If you have a old dish get it replaced with the new dish. Since it is bigger rain outages are a lot less. Infact not there i feel!

3. Keep a check on your signal quality. The quality should be atleast 60-80 and with this no problems rains or no rains. The dish location also plays a role and try a different location if you are unable to get a good signal quality.
RW9763 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2011, 15:48   #260
BHPian

^^^ Thanks for sharing your observations. I am also thinking of asking Tata Sky to replace the dish which was installed long ago. Recently, I received a letter from Tata Sky stating that I have been upgraded to some premium customers club (since I have 3 connections and been with them for 5 years or so) and can avail certain benefits like no technician visit charges, etc. What will the charge of the dish replacement, if any?
Old 23rd June 2011, 16:05   #261
BANNED

I doubt whether there is a significant gain with the new bigger dish. Old was 60cm and the new is 62cm. All of 6,8% gain in area!
Old 23rd June 2011, 16:10   #262
BHPian

I too get a loss of signal whenever there is a little wind or even droplets of rainfall. Had complained to tatasky about 2 weeks back. They said that they will come on a weekend which they never came :(
Old 23rd June 2011, 16:16   #263
BHPian

I use tatasky for last 1 year and no issues faced so far.

During extreme rains there are short interuptions but it is better than my other DTH connection (BigTV)
Old 23rd June 2011, 18:43   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
I use tatasky for last 1 year and no issues faced so far.

During extreme rains there are short interuptions but it is better than my other DTH connection (BigTV)
Its called Rain fade, and depends upon the transponder voltage, your Signal Strength and Quality, which can inturn improve with a bigger dish.
Old 27th June 2011, 11:05   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
I too get a loss of signal whenever there is a little wind or even droplets of rainfall. Had complained to tatasky about 2 weeks back. They said that they will come on a weekend which they never came :(
Dear All,

Request you to mention your Subscription ID's for query resolution.

This thread is being watched guys.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 11:19   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Dear All,

Request you to mention your Subscription ID's for query resolution.

This thread is being watched guys.
Called up tata sky last thursday. Service guy shows up on saturday. Changes the receiver as the signal was weak. Period. I did not know that the picture quality was this good earlier. . Now only if tata sky could provide affordable packages as Videocon D2H :(.
Old 4th July 2011, 19:10   #267
BHPian

New Problem today.

Issue:
1. Picture clarity gone. For a moment, i assumed that my TV went kaput. But then, I connected my DVD player and it worked absolutely fine!
2. Remote / key actions are not responded to.

When:
This afternoon around 3 PM.

Story thereafter:

I called up the CC around 3:30 PM after trying the regular stuff(Switch on/off, try changing channels, check for connection, go and have a look at the dish). The lady asked for the regular details and then after understanding the issue mentioned that this is a know issue which has been reported by few customers and it is a tehnical fault at there end. She will not raise a ticket for this.

I insisted on raising the ticket, but she convinced me to igonre it.

Then, I asked about the time it will take to fix it. She said around 2 hours. Checked at 5:30 PM, no improvements. Called the helpdesk again. The guy sitting over the phone informs me that there is no Known issue and he will send over a technician to check the connection. As I am out of warranty this will be charged. I am not worried about the charges, but about the lack of correct info provided.

Waiting for some one to come and check it now.

My satisfaction with TataSky has gone down south big time. I am using the connection for over 4 years and I feel bad about the very basic reasons why I picked up tatasky, not being offered anymore.

What I see has changed:

1. The quality has gone down. I can see the pixels on my TV. When i bought the tataSky, the clarity was amazing.
2. The rain/ wind issue has creeped up. I faced the issue during the initial days, but then with the newer SW upgrades, which happened right after the rain outage, the signal was almost always on. Now, even with the slightest of wind the digicomp goes blank.
3. One of the main reasons to buy tatasky was the facility to pay as much as you use. You could have asked them to stop the service for a the number of days u were supposed to be away and get the service up once you come back. This facility is not there anymore. You have to pay for the conncetion wether u use it or not.
4. Cost - It is the costliest DTH in india.
5. I recorded few cricket matches last year and then switched to the cheapest channel option when I was abroad. On my return, i opted for all the channels back, but now, I cannot watch the recorded programms, as i am not susbcribed to the channel (I have got the same channels back, but this is what the message says).

Probably the good thing still is the Customer service. Some called up saying that he will visit me now. Good that the service is done today itself (Or I am not aware that every one has improved )
Old 4th July 2011, 21:30   #268
BHPian

^^
So the update is: My digicomp went kaput. As they do not have TataSky+ replacement boxes handy, the exchange might take few days.
Old 5th July 2011, 20:18   #269
Senior - BHPian

My observations

1. The HD channels have Dolby surround sound. In our case my son got a home theater setup and all sources go through it including HDMI from Tata Sky HD+. First of all the volume for HD is controlled through the home theater system and not through Tata Sky remote. For non HD channels the Tata Sky remote works for audio, and in case of HD the rear speakers. So now there are two controls for audio and that is where the volume difference crops up. Not that it is not there between channels - some are louder than others. We have two connections one HD and one normal.

2. During IPL the MAX channels would play truant on normal, while it was perfect on the HD+. A call to Tata Sky got the technician who promptly changed the LNB (the receiver on the dish). He claims that newer channels are at the higher end of the spectrum and require better LNB, which they are changing on request basis.

After the LNB was changed; and with the newer dish; there is very little interference from rain, excepting once in while at the beginning of the rain.

So if you have rain related signal fade, call them up and ask them to change both the dish and the LNB.

By the way, my HD+ digicomp was changed within a couple of weeks due to constant reset. This is a known problem with the earlier pieces, so they do not even bother to test but just bring a new piece and change it.

Last edited by Aroy : 5th July 2011 at 20:20.
Old 6th July 2011, 00:36   #270
Senior - BHPian

1. the number sticker prompt is irritating.

2. They keep changing their packages and I have had my package changed automatically without prior notice twice. I browse to the channel and it says not subscribed.

3. I had moved 2 years ago. Due to renovation I was to get a re-install done. It took me 7 days of calls to realize they hadnt changed my address. To add insult to injury they charged me for that. Additionally I was supposed to be refunded that amount which never happened.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks