Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you face any Problems with TATA Sky?
Yes 141 39.61%
No 215 60.39%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2013, 11:51   #346
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Sky Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Guys, thinking of upgrading to TataSky+ HD box. Currently have the TataSky+ SD box. Do I need to subscribe to Annual Mega HD pack or can I still continue with my Mega SD pack? I don't need the additional HD channels available with them right now.

Also, any idea how much is the HD box with recording?
. HD pack is separate. I pay around 8k for annual mega pack for 2 HD+ boxes.
. If you have an HD TV, then HD programs are worth watching.
Old 27th August 2013, 19:51   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, thinking of upgrading to TataSky+ HD box. Currently have the TataSky+ SD box. Do I need to subscribe to Annual Mega HD pack or can I still continue with my Mega SD pack? I don't need the additional HD channels available with them right now.

Also, any idea how much is the HD box with recording?
It is not necessary to take the HD channel pack if you are buying HD box. I currently have a HD+recording box, but I am subscribed to only SD channels.

By the way, I don't see the point in upgrading from HD+ to SD+ box if you are not going to be watching HD channels.

Rohan
Old 27th August 2013, 20:02   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
It is not necessary to take the HD channel pack if you are buying HD box. I currently have a HD+recording box, but I am subscribed to only SD channels.

By the way, I don't see the point in upgrading from HD+ to SD+ box if you are not going to be watching HD channels.

Rohan
benefits as below:
  • SD+ box uses standard A/V cables (flower pin) for audio and video. HD+ uses HDMI.
  • with HD+ box, i can switch over to HD channels anytime i want. can't do that with the other one.
  • HD+ has better picture quality (so i've been told).
  • HD+ box has higher capacity (500hrs) when compared to SD+ box (168hrs).
  • intend to use the SD+ box in the second room with my old Sony WEGA

maybe there are other benefits, but i know only of these. i think you get complementary 1month HD channels subscription (my Dad got when he upgraded from SD to HD), so i'll check it out before opting for it its a matter of paying 900/- more; already am subscribed to annual SD mega pack.

btw, how much did it cost? how did you place the order?

Last edited by IronH4WK : 27th August 2013 at 20:05.
Old 27th August 2013, 20:21   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
benefits as below:
  • SD+ box uses standard A/V cables (flower pin) for audio and video. HD+ uses HDMI.
  • with HD+ box, i can switch over to HD channels anytime i want. can't do that with the other one.
  • HD+ has better picture quality (so i've been told).
  • HD+ box has higher capacity (500hrs) when compared to SD+ box (168hrs).
  • intend to use the SD+ box in the second room with my old Sony WEGA
maybe there are other benefits, but i know only of these. i think you get complementary 1month HD channels subscription (my Dad got when he upgraded from SD to HD), so i'll check it out before opting for it its a matter of paying 900/- more; already am subscribed to annual SD mega pack.

btw, how much did it cost? how did you place the order?
So you are planning to get an additional HD+recording box to complement your existing SD+recording box. It makes perfect sense. I thought you were exchanging SD+recording box for HD+recording box.

As far as picture quality is concerned, I don't think HD box or HDMI interface would make much difference as long as you are watching SD channels. For your existing SD+recording box, try using component video instead of composite video, if your existing TV supports component input. This would improve picture quality.

I purchased my HD+recording box more than 1 year back. I ordered it over the phone by calling on Tata Sky helpline. At that time, it costed a little under 5k.

If you buy the HD+recording box, remember to get it configured as the primary connection and make you SD box as the secondary connection. This is because the multi-TV charge is lesser for a secondary SD connection as compared to secondary HD connection. Get this done immediately after installation. If you do the switchover after some days, you would loose all the recorded programs on your set top box.

Tata Sky will definitely give you 1 month subscription free for HD channels if you buy the HD box. The problem is that once you get used to HD channels, you won't feel like going back to SD.

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 27th August 2013 at 20:25.
Old 27th August 2013, 21:01   #350
Senior - BHPian

thanks Rohan. the one month is not for me; it's for convincing wifey
Old 28th August 2013, 09:27   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
HD+ box has higher capacity (500hrs) when compared to SD+ box (168hrs).
HD+ has 500GB Hard disk and not 500hrs.
Only 380GB is usable by us which is around 425hrs of SD video

SD+ is now discontinued from 2011 if I'm not wrong but as far as I knew it had only 90hrs of SD Video

Quote:
maybe there are other benefits, but i know only of these.
7.1 channel output and 3D ready to name a few...but don't know If you will really use these now

Quote:
thanks Rohan. the one month is not for me; it's for convincing wifey
Show her channel 106, 112, 118, 124 and you can be successful

By the way I saw this in the website:
Quote:
With Tata Sky+ you can:
  1. Watch one live channel and record another live channel
  2. Record two live channels and watch a previously recorded programme
  3. Record two live channels and watch one of the channels being recorded
  4. Set a series link for automatic recording
Can anyone explain me the difference between 1. and 3.?
Old 28th August 2013, 10:43   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

If two are being recorded, you can only watch one of the two being recorded, but if one is being recorded, you can switch to any live channel.
Old 28th August 2013, 10:54   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
1. You are cording 1 TV channel and viewing second TV channel.
3. You are recording 2 TV channels. You can watch any one.

Please note that with "+" you are getting two feeds from the Dish, so essentially you can watch/record 2 live programs only. When you watch a recorded channel you are not using the feeds.

We have 2 HD+ boxes and at times my wife records 4 programs at a time
Old 28th August 2013, 11:37   #354
BHPian

Hey Fellas!

Need some advice from ya'll. We got a Tata Sky connection around 3 years ago, and its was the SD box. We are perfectly happy with it even now, as we hardly watch any TV. The wife watches a few serials now and then, and I tune in only on Sundays to watch the F1 live coverage.

We use the TV so less, that we still have our old 21" CRT. Never felt the need to upgrade to a LCD/LED/Plasma. But off late, I've been receiving these messages on my phone stating that Tata Sky is upgrading to MPEG4 technology. And the messages keep asking me to upgrade to an MPEG4 box for some discount. It also mentions that some channels will not be available with the current box.

Now, what are my choices? Get an upgraded full-HD STB? Or, upgrade to the MPEG4 box that they want to provide at some discount?. We are not at all keen on getting a new TV as we intend to move out of India soon. So investing in a new TV is not on the cards at this time.

If I get the HD-STB, can it run with our existing 21" CRT?

Thanks for checking this question of mine fellas. Any response will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Old 28th August 2013, 11:47   #355
Senior - BHPian

HD cannot be viewed in a non-HD TV. So if do not have an HD TV there is no use of getting an HD set top box.
Old 28th August 2013, 12:18   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Hey Fellas!

Need some advice from ya'll. We got a Tata Sky connection around 3 years ago, and its was the SD box. We are perfectly happy with it even now, as we hardly watch any TV. The wife watches a few serials now and then, and I tune in only on Sundays to watch the F1 live coverage.

We use the TV so less, that we still have our old 21" CRT. Never felt the need to upgrade to a LCD/LED/Plasma. But off late, I've been receiving these messages on my phone stating that Tata Sky is upgrading to MPEG4 technology. And the messages keep asking me to upgrade to an MPEG4 box for some discount. It also mentions that some channels will not be available with the current box.
For shifting to MPEG4 technology tata sky will be replacing the STBs free of cost of the subscribers who are having MPEG2 STBs.
You are entitled for free(not discounted) replacement of you STB by Tata Sky if you are not upgrading to HD or HD+. They must be trying to lure you into HD or HD+ upgrade so that the cost of the new STB is borne by you. Flatly deny paying anything and tell them that if you have to pay then you may probably want to spend migrating to another DTH service provider.

Last edited by huntrz : 28th August 2013 at 12:20.
Old 28th August 2013, 13:07   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
HD cannot be viewed in a non-HD TV.
Thanks for that update. I had a suspicion that it wouldn't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post
You are entitled for free(not discounted) replacement of you STB by Tata Sky if you are not upgrading to HD or HD+. Flatly deny paying anything and tell them that if you have to pay then you may probably want to spend migrating to another DTH service provider.
Thanks for that info mate! Had no idea this was even possible! Will get in touch with them right away!

Team-Bhp is so awesome! Cars, gadgets, stock markets, online shopping, everything under one roof!
Old 1st September 2013, 19:43   #358

I Have the old TS HD + Box in which the HDMI-CEC does not work.

So Checking if any one has the new HD+ Box and does HDMI-CEC works on it ?

A Friend of mine has Airtel and even on HD box (Without recording) the CEC works perfect !!!
Old 3rd September 2013, 14:58   #359
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Thanks for that update. I had a suspicion that it wouldn't work

Thanks for that info mate! Had no idea this was even possible! Will get in touch with them right away!

Team-Bhp is so awesome! Cars, gadgets, stock markets, online shopping, everything under one roof!
Please ensure they do the activation step properly post-install.

I got my existing SD STB swapped out with the upgraded MPEG4 SD STB over the weekend. The technician at my house and the one on the phone got the STB# mixed up, and apparently there's no way for them to correct that problem, except connecting a new box. Now I thought that wasn't my problem, until my STB started showing a service charge payment due reminder a few hours later (mine is an annual subscription that falls due only in May).

Apparently, the guy wasn't carrying any spare swap boxes (that's what the free MPEG4 replacement box is labelled), so he used a regular box (probably meant for a new customer somewhere) and tried to pass it off as a fresh installation, charges included.

6 hours of back & forth for them to reverse the charges and get the annoying payment reminder off my fully-paid for TV subscription.

Whatever happened to integrity
Old 3rd September 2013, 15:24   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Please ensure they do the activation step properly post-install.
Great info there mate! Thanks a lot! Much appreciated!

The technician will be coming around 6:00 PM to perform the upgrade. Will ensure that the points mentioned by you are carefully addressed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks