Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you face any Problems with TATA Sky?
Yes 141 39.61%
No 215 60.39%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2010, 11:28   #136
Senior - BHPian

One issue which I have faced with Tata Sky STB is the long start up time. Whenever I switch on the unit it takes more than 3-4 mins for the main screen to appear on the TV. Also nowadays the remote is playing spoil sport like when I increase the volume the channel changes, pressing the back button opens the active screen. Have to either get the remote serviced or replaced. What would be the best choice?
Old 18th May 2010, 16:43   #137
Senior - BHPian

Not same, but similar issues here - often the volume indicators do not appear when changing volume level, channel into also sometimes does not appear when changing channels, etc., etc. Long start up times are also irritating. I don't think it is a problem with the remote...
Old 18th May 2010, 17:01   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

I think whenever you have that blue band with some numbers on the screen, then volume buttons on the remote don't work. Similar for changing channels also.

What i have observed is that NTDV Good Times channel is most difficult to change from remote. Somehow, it get's stuck..
Old 18th May 2010, 17:09   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
One issue which I have faced with Tata Sky STB is the long start up time. Whenever I switch on the unit it takes more than 3-4 mins for the main screen to appear on the TV. Also nowadays the remote is playing spoil sport like when I increase the volume the channel changes, pressing the back button opens the active screen. Have to either get the remote serviced or replaced. What would be the best choice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Not same, but similar issues here - often the volume indicators do not appear when changing volume level, channel into also sometimes does not appear when changing channels, etc., etc. Long start up times are also irritating. I don't think it is a problem with the remote...
The box will anyway take some time to boot up. As the boxes are embedded with more complex and feature packed software, the time would increase.

The earlier Sun DTH STBs only take about 30 seconds to boot up. The new ones are inferior, I heard.

The delay in channel changing is inevitable.

The channels (programs) comes in different Transport streams. changing from one channel to another which is in the same transport stream causes less delay. When the channel is changed, the demultiplexer in the STB starts filtering the packets of according to a new PID (Program Identifier). This goes to the audio and video decoders which gives the actual audio video output. The above case is when the two channels are in the same Transport stream - the tuner stays tuned to the same frequency.

If the next channel is in another transport stream, then the tuner has to get tuned to that frequency as well. this causes additional delay.

Last edited by clevermax : 18th May 2010 at 17:10.
Old 18th May 2010, 18:43   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Is TATA sky offering rDVR [remote Dig. Vid. Rec.] option yet? (Airtel offers it through mobile)
I already have the application installed on my cell phone. It work like a charm.
Old 18th May 2010, 19:03   #141
BHPian

Funny I saw this thread today only when one of my TataSky set-top boxes has conked off for good. Wifey returned from work, switched on the TV and set-top box only to realize that power indicator isn't coming up on the box.

Pulled me in while I was on a con call with my manager.. So here I am, struggling with the box and cables along with the cell phone. After all the jugglary, took out the power adapter cable and tried it with the box in mom's room. Lo, behold, that box has a fixed adapter

Picked up the tool kit to open up the box ony to realize there's a mumbo jumbo of ICs inside which anyway can't make sense to a layman. Screwed back the cover, called up customer care, logged a complaint, and now waiting for the service engineer to turn up tomorrow to fix the issue. One thing's confirmed though, its not the adapter, something inside has gone kaput..
Old 18th May 2010, 19:49   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
Funny I saw this thread today only when one of my TataSky set-top boxes has conked off for good. Wifey returned from work, switched on the TV and set-top box only to realize that power indicator isn't coming up on the box.
It is most probably some issue with the power adaptor. Hope the boards are just fine.
Old 18th May 2010, 19:59   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
I think whenever you have that blue band with some numbers on the screen, then volume buttons on the remote don't work. Similar for changing channels also.

What i have observed is that NTDV Good Times channel is most difficult to change from remote. Somehow, it get's stuck..
I don't think its got anything to do with blue band with numbers. IIRC, it is an identification number to restrict piracy through reproduction of recorded contents. Where there is an in-channel feature shown through a colored button option, which in the case of NDTV good times is red, one may have problems with arrow and volume function not showing. I too find those irritating including the blue band with numbers. They occupy a lot of screen real estate.
Old 19th May 2010, 15:47   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
I don't think its got anything to do with blue band with numbers. IIRC, it is an identification number to restrict piracy through reproduction of recorded contents. Where there is an in-channel feature shown through a colored button option, which in the case of NDTV good times is red, one may have problems with arrow and volume function not showing. I too find those irritating including the blue band with numbers. They occupy a lot of screen real estate.
Your observation is quite right.The delay happens for the channels which allow the user to use the Red button to see the recorded programs. You might also observe the hour glass turning up instead of the red button on the top left corner when you try to change the volume/channels.
Old 19th May 2010, 19:38   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
It is most probably some issue with the power adaptor. Hope the boards are just fine.
Yep mate.. you are absolutely right - it was an issue with the adapter only and the box came to life with a new one..
Though there's one thing which I was told - whatever would have been the problem - whether set-top box or adpater - it would have been fixed for Rs.350 only
Old 19th May 2010, 20:27   #146
J.Ravi

I voted for 'No' as I have not [yet] faced any problems with my Tata Sky connection. Touchwood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
Yep mate.. you are absolutely right - it was an issue with the adapter only and the box came to life with a new one..
Though there's one thing which I was told - whatever would have been the problem - whether set-top box or adpater - it would have been fixed for Rs.350 only
My tenent's Tata Sky set-top box's power adaptor went kaput recently. The technician visited home and replaced it at a cost of Rs 350. He informed them that Rs 350 was the service charge that will have to be paid even if he did not replace anything. So, if there is any problem with Tata Sky, major or minor, be ready to shell down Rs 350 [only]!

Last edited by J.Ravi : 19th May 2010 at 20:33.

Old 20th May 2010, 00:19   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
He informed them that Rs 350 was the service charge that will have to be paid even if he did not replace anything. So, if there is any problem with Tata Sky, major or minor, be ready to shell down Rs 350 [only]!
Yes, that's the good/bad part of it - one can take INR 350 as visiting charge/cost of adapter/cost of set-top box. I would consider glass to be alf full :-)
Old 31st May 2010, 18:35   #148
Senior - BHPian

Argghhhhh... the Tata Sky banner now occupies half the screen!! They have started promo messages on the banners with info about showcase events and such.

This is just too much. As it is, the software isn't designed too well, and it is certainly not designed to economize the screen real-estate that it occupies.

Just dashed off a email rant to them. Suggest others do likewise.
Old 9th June 2010, 19:39   #149
Senior - BHPian

For the past 2 days, I have noticed big time pixellation when the scene gradually changes from a very dark scene to a bright scene on TataSky. And it is so bad that for a second or so, I really cannot recognise what is going on at all! Anyone noticed this on TataSky?

@ Raccoon - that banner thingie is really bugging me! I have also sent off an email.
Old 9th June 2010, 20:04   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
For the past 2 days, I have noticed big time pixellation when the scene gradually changes from a very dark scene to a bright scene on TataSky. And it is so bad that for a second or so, I really cannot recognise what is going on at all! Anyone noticed this on TataSky?

@ Raccoon - that banner thingie is really bugging me! I have also sent off an email.
I have also noticed excessive pixellation. signal quality has definitely dropped.
+1 Raccoon, constant reminder to watch 'My Name is Khan' is bugging me to death!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks