Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 13:02   #4591
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

One suggestion I got was for Sony W Series. They have good ones in the 10-12K range.
The other option is Canon IXUS.
Old 9th May 2011, 14:32   #4592
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions Amp and Ghodlur. I already own a Panny FZ35 and absolutely luv this camera.

But I felt Canon or Sony is little userfriendly for my parents as this is their fist digital camera. Canon has an impressive 2011 lineup for entry level P&S. Slightly inclined towards A3200 or Sony W520. Both seem to have good reviews.
Old 10th May 2011, 02:26   #4593
BHPian

Managed to find a decent sony cybershot with HD recording. retails from 11-13 k depending on the model.
the model are from the W series,here's a link DSC-W570 : W Series : Digital Still Camera : Sony India
DSC-WX7 : W Series : Digital Still Camera : Sony India
Old 10th May 2011, 03:14   #4594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
Even I am looking for a simple P&S around 8K. Its for my parents, so looking at good AI and simple controls. Around 5X Optical Zoom and 10-12MP. Any suggestions from you guys? I guess Sony or Cannon should be a good bet. Suggestions please
if you get sony wx9 get it. my friend has it and its a great p & s. its price is around $200 here. i am not sure what's the price there.
Old 11th May 2011, 09:03   #4595
Senior - BHPian

Hello guys,
I've been using a Canon s60 for over 4 years now and its time for me to upgrade.
I am quite confused as to which direction to go?

Another P&S albeit with all bells and whistles
A superzoom like Panasonic FZ series
OR a entry level D-SLR like Canon 550D or Nikon D3100

I love photography and am willing to explore and enhance my skills.
Mostly, I will be clicking pics of family, landscapes and cars.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 13:39   #4596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Another P&S albeit with all bells and whistles

I love photography and am willing to explore and enhance my skills.
Reading the above two statements I would suggest either the Canon Powershot G12 PowerShot G12 - Digital Cameras - Canon India

or the Nikon coolpix P7000 Nikon India Private Limited
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 14:04   #4597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Reading the above two statements I would suggest either the Canon Powershot G12 PowerShot G12 - Digital Cameras - Canon India

or the Nikon coolpix P7000 Nikon India Private Limited
Thanks for this Khoj. Looking at the price of that Nikon won't an entry level DSLR like Nikon D3100 or Canon 500D/550D be a better bet?

The Canon G12 costs 32K.

Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 17:33   #4598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Thanks for this Khoj. Looking at the price of that Nikon won't an entry level DSLR like Nikon D3100 or Canon 500D/550D be a better bet?

The Canon G12 costs 32K.

Thanks
Hi hiren.mistry,
you are correct when you say these are in the DSLR territory. I too was in a dilemma for some time regarding these two and the baby DSLRs. The thing is if you really want to get into serious photography even as an amateur then it is worthwhile investing in the big ones and then building your kit from there.

If however you want to take great snaps with a bit of control in your hands, actually almost all of the control then these two prosumer cameras are to go for. You will not have much choice with these in terms of add on lenses, filters etc but the snaps you will be taking with the stock equipment would be far superior to the p&s results. Further there is the convenience of carrying a small kit compared to a big bag.

The street prices are 28500 for the G12 and 23500 for the P7000. Right now I am stuck between these two as with the G12 you cannot zoom in the movie recording mode while you can do that with the Nikon. Wonder how much useful this feature would be?
Old 11th May 2011, 20:25   #4599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hi hiren.mistry,
you are correct when you say these are in the DSLR territory. I too was in a dilemma for some time regarding these two and the baby DSLRs. The thing is if you really want to get into serious photography even as an amateur then it is worthwhile investing in the big ones and then building your kit from there.

If however you want to take great snaps with a bit of control in your hands, actually almost all of the control then these two prosumer cameras are to go for. You will not have much choice with these in terms of add on lenses, filters etc but the snaps you will be taking with the stock equipment would be far superior to the p&s results. Further there is the convenience of carrying a small kit compared to a big bag.

The street prices are 28500 for the G12 and 23500 for the P7000. Right now I am stuck between these two as with the G12 you cannot zoom in the movie recording mode while you can do that with the Nikon. Wonder how much useful this feature would be?
Well said and quite agree with you. But one factor that is leering me towards DSLR is that eventually I will tire off the PnS no matter how good it is.
But for DSLR the sky is the limit literally.

Since I will be sticking with entry level DSLR, have shortlisted Canon EOS 550D and Nikon 3100D.

Regards
Old 11th May 2011, 20:42   #4600
BHPian

Guys, I'm getting Nikon S9100 for 17,300 at a retailer , what are my other options for a good compact superzoom. I'm buying one for my sister, so the Panasoniz FZ and such are not really compact enough to fit in her purse/bag.

Anyone here owns the S9100 ?
Old 11th May 2011, 20:59   #4601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Guys, I'm getting Nikon S9100 for 17,300 at a retailer , what are my other options for a good compact superzoom. I'm buying one for my sister, so the Panasoniz FZ and such are not really compact enough to fit in her purse/bag.

Anyone here owns the S9100 ?
Why you did not consider the mother of all the compact superzooms ? The venerable TZ8 from Panasonic.

Its compact enough to pack into the purse. And also packs a very good 12x zoom.

Just make sure that you do not go for the latest offering, I think TZ20. That one is coming with a new sensor which is not making people happy.
Old 11th May 2011, 21:05   #4602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Why you did not consider the mother of all the compact superzooms ? The venerable TZ8 from Panasonic.

Its compact enough to pack into the purse. And also packs a very good 12x zoom.

Just make sure that you do not go for the latest offering, I think TZ20. That one is coming with a new sensor which is not making people happy.
Haven't bought the S9100 yet , so shall take up your suggestion and balance my final call.

cheers
Arun
Old 11th May 2011, 23:15   #4603
BHPian

@Hiren

if you don't find the need for long focals and will be happy with wide angle to normal lenses, get a DSLR body with a fast f/2.8 wide-to-normal zoom, like 17-50. For family (kids) and cars (moving cars) , wide aperture is often a necessity.

Be warned though : many SLR uses succumb to lens lust eventually, starting out thinking they won't need/want anything more than the kit lens and another telephoto zoom ! Then the costs pile up.

DSLR buying tips (humour)
The Online Photographer: Letter to George

Last edited by Ricci : 11th May 2011 at 23:25. Reason: spell check!
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 14:58   #4604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
@Hiren

if you don't find the need for long focals and will be happy with wide angle to normal lenses, get a DSLR body with a fast f/2.8 wide-to-normal zoom, like 17-50. For family (kids) and cars (moving cars) , wide aperture is often a necessity.

Be warned though : many SLR uses succumb to lens lust eventually, starting out thinking they won't need/want anything more than the kit lens and another telephoto zoom ! Then the costs pile up.
Yes, and have shortlisted Canon 550D and Nikon D5100 DSLR's. Have posted this query on the DSLR forum.
Agreed, the urge will be there but I intend to start slow. Begin with the standard kit lens 18-55mm and then take it from there.

Regards
Old 15th May 2011, 01:03   #4605
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,

Looking for a digital camera between 200~250 pounds (may extend upto 300 pounds & I stay in Milton Keynes, UK). Presently I have a 2 year 12MP w-series Cyber-shot (should check for the model, poor memory) and looking for a upgrade now.

Here are my requirements
Optical Zoom - at least 15x
10+ megapixel (I hope this is sufficient, I'm not a professional photographer)
No 'AA' batteries - (Used Canon PowerShot SX120is for about a week and not satisfied with the battery life. Lasts hardly for 150 snaps)
HD Video - Not mandatory, but preferred

Camera shortlisted
1) Canon Powershot SX30 (doubtful with my budget)
2) Nikon Coolpix L120
3) Nikon Coolpix P500 (again the question of budget)
4) Nikon Coolpix P100
5) Sony HX1

P100 & HX1 are they still available in market?

Awaiting your valuable suggestions, price & where to buy.

PS : How about Olympus, Samsung & Fuji Film, never used them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks