Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2009, 14:17   #1756
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
End result is the same: I own the phone and legally purchase gmaps from Google, yet I cant access it!
Not all networks are stupid like AT&T of USA so there is some hope. Speculating this will be banned, that will not be allowed is going overboard, thats all. That way BB has the most unfair service offerings, dont have BIS and stuff, you are stuck with a regular overpriced handset. So its lil unfair to point blank look at apple as being the devil here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
I am quoting from the Apple's patent application with the US patent office. I rest my case now.
Apple has many more patents (iPhone alone has more patents to its credits compared to any other hand set) but that doesnt mean everything is made for the sake of carriers OR is used/has been used against the customer. This is a company with very good business sense and many others have to learn from them regarding customer service.
Old 23rd October 2009, 20:06   #1757
Distinguished - BHPian

iPhone experts ! Need some urgent help !

I had installed the Push Fix from Cydia to make Ping! Work but because it didn't work I deleted it. After which the phone started malfunctioning. Cydia crashed and the main menu screen came up, when i pressed anything the phone popped a blank screen up.

So i restarted the phone, but now all i see is the Apple logo with the circular loading icon at the bottom of the apple. After few minutes the status loading bar (cylindrical shaped) come up below the apple logo and then goes away and come back.
At times the screen completely shuts off then the whole process starts again.

What should i do??
Old 23rd October 2009, 22:05   #1758
Distinguished - BHPian

Update: Managed to get the phone in DFU mode and connected to iTunes. It says i need to restore and update. However if I do restore and update it would install 3.1.2 for which there is no windows unlock yet.
Old 24th October 2009, 08:39   #1759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Update: Managed to get the phone in DFU mode and connected to iTunes. It says i need to restore and update. However if I do restore and update it would install 3.1.2 for which there is no windows unlock yet.
Which iphone do you have and which FW were you on when this thing happened? You can download the system restore image of your previous firmware from apple download servers, and in itunes, hold down the shift key and click on restore. Then it'll ask you the location of your FW file. Point it to the file you've downloaded and it'll restore it to whatever firmware you want it to. You don't really need to upgrade to 3.1.2.

Download links: [All iPhone & iTouch Firmwares] System Restore Image (download here) - Hackint0sh

Hope this helps
Old 24th October 2009, 10:02   #1760
Distinguished - BHPian

Vineet- thanks ! I have a 2g was running on 3.0. Will try your suggestion now..
Old 24th October 2009, 11:50   #1761
Senior - BHPian

Noob question (apologies to the experts): Unlocking one can understand: ensuring the handset can work with another / any carrier. What is 'jailbreaking'? What is that used for?

What does one need to watch out for if one is trying to buy a used iPhone (2G/3G) from, say, someone who has listed it on Craigslist?
Old 24th October 2009, 12:00   #1762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Noob question (apologies to the experts): Unlocking one can understand: ensuring the handset can work with another / any carrier. What is 'jailbreaking'? What is that used for?

What does one need to watch out for if one is trying to buy a used iPhone (2G/3G) from, say, someone who has listed it on Craigslist?
let me try and answer your queries.

jailbreaking allows users to use unofficial codes developed by third party developers. through this, we can add apps which are not in app store but developed by other developers. also we can access unix filesystem, so we can do our own bit of programming. we can modify the GUI of iphone that is change wallpapers, sounds, themes etc etc. this is done through CYDIA.

the advantage of buying from craigslist is the local deal. so you meet up, look at the phone, its condition and then pay. through this we can decide which one to buy, what price to pay and get the feel of iphone/ipod before putting down our money.
also many a times these phones are jailbreaked/unlocked, so all we need to do is pop in our sim and we are good to go. if not it can always be done by ourselves as its damn easy.

just be weary of scams though. insist on meeting and than paying, that ways you can check the phone and not worry much. no shipping, no paypal. just the usual cash on meeting.

hope this helps

sorry for the long post
Old 24th October 2009, 12:19   #1763
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, @chevelle, that was informative. Neither me, nor my friend in Fremont through whom I may pick up something from CL listings, favor online purchase, so it will always be check physically first before paying.
Old 24th October 2009, 12:29   #1764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, @chevelle, that was informative. Neither me, nor my friend in Fremont through whom I may pick up something from CL listings, favor online purchase, so it will always be check physically first before paying.
That's quite good for you. that ways you can always stay clear of being cheated.

i always analyze the product before buying, whether its through CL or Online. while buying online, seller/websites is what matters to me most.

good luck hunting iphones available a plenty for less than 300 usd now a days
Old 24th October 2009, 18:49   #1765
BHPian

i have a iphone 3gs 16gb with firmware version 3.1.0 and baseband version 5.11.07. can i unlock my phone? please help as i am unable to use it.
Old 25th October 2009, 11:55   #1766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbind85 View Post
i have a iphone 3gs 16gb with firmware version 3.1.0 and baseband version 5.11.07. can i unlock my phone? please help as i am unable to use it.
I think if you have a mac computer then you can use the dev teams pwnage tool to jailbreak and unlock your iphone 3GS. More details can be found here: Dev-Team Blog
Old 26th October 2009, 11:56   #1767
Distinguished - BHPian

@sahil,

i have the custom ipsw for 3.1.2. If you are townside, you can get it collected from me.
Old 26th October 2009, 20:21   #1768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetmanghani View Post
I think if you have a mac computer then you can use the dev teams pwnage tool to jailbreak and unlock your iphone 3GS. More details can be found here: Dev-Team Blog
thanks vineetmanghani. will definitely look into it and try it.
Old 27th October 2009, 10:08   #1769
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
@sahil,

i have the custom ipsw for 3.1.2. If you are townside, you can get it collected from me.
Thanks buddy but I got the phone working back with 3.0, don't want to mess around with it further As is will be getting rid of it in a month or two.
Old 28th October 2009, 11:55   #1770
BANNED

Quote:

Here is what "jailbreaking" is:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jailbreak_(iPhone_OS)

Also read this:
Quote:
The iPhone Dev Team is a group of hackers in the iPhone OS community who have developed many hacking (jailbreaking) and unlocking applications for Apple Inc.'s iPhone and iPod Touch devices. These applications provide owners with the ability to sidestep the limitations placed on devices by the manufacturer, allowing for activities such as deep customization and SIM unlocking.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks