Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2013, 21:18   #5701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post

Exactly my point. All smart phones consume data even when they are idle. It all depends on the settings of each individual hand set. Initially when original iPhone was launched, people were complaining that it consumes more data than BB. But for a reason, the then BB didn't had so many apps/features that iPhones were running on.
I would also add that iPhone changed the content delivery Eco system as earlier not many phones were able/capable to browse web that ease. The more it was convenient the greater the data usage. And we all know the history in making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak01 View Post

Not really, I'm just looking for a simple phone that also has some brand value.
For my app needs I have Galaxy Tab 2 and Macbook Pro 15 inch.
Any iPhone model will suffice your brand need. Also with Mac it will complete the Eco-system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

Folks,

I have a few basic queries for downloading music (onto my Windows laptop) and listening on the iPhone5 :

1. Please recommend a few sites from where I can download hindi film music ( old : 1950s to 1980s; preferably free)

2. Ditto for western classical music

3. Which formats for download will be compatible with iTunes to work on the iPhone?

4. If I require a format converter ( ref #3 above), which one will work best?

5. Ref #1 & 2 above, should I simply use iTunes for India if it is clearly better in terms of audio quality?

Regards
issigonis

P. S. :
1. I have downloaded dvdvideosoft ( a freeware) for converting You Tube files to a format compatible with iTunes for loading onto the iPhone
Mp3, apple lossless for Audio and mp4 for Video.

You may buy many Hindi songs now online via iTunes Store or any other store, flipkart, Amazon, etc. (I do not have much idea on this subject).

For playing on various devices you need to fine tune your format vis-a-vis screen size.
Old 8th January 2013, 13:01   #5702
Senior - BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

yesterday when i was trying to install an app from the App Store, after i entered the password (correctly), i got a message that my account has been locked for security reasons and asked me to follow the instructions to reset it.

i used the Email option and have been waiting since last night by no email from Apple has arrived in my inbox. what to do?

PS: is apple not delivering the email because its a Gmail account?
Old 8th January 2013, 13:06   #5703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
yesterday when i was trying to install an app from the App Store, after i entered the password (correctly), i got a message that my account has been locked for security reasons and asked me to follow the instructions to reset it.

i used the Email option and have been waiting since last night by no email from Apple has arrived in my inbox. what to do?

PS: is apple not delivering the email because its a Gmail account?
Send a mail to iTunesStoreSupport@apple.com and state your problem along with your apple ID. This might be a quicker way to get help regarding Apple store problems.
Old 8th January 2013, 13:47   #5704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitw79 View Post

Send a mail to iTunesStoreSupport@apple.com and state your problem along with your apple ID. This might be a quicker way to get help regarding Apple store problems.
Thanks a lot Amit. However, I didn't have to send them a mail

I was drafting the mail to Apple when my colleague asked me if I have any other email ID which I might be using or that I might have provided as an alternative ID to Apple. I checked my other ID and I see emails from Apple in the inbox

So if any of you out there face a similar situation - check your other account *lol*

PS: i think my account might have been locked because i had a very simple password.

Last edited by IronH4WK : 8th January 2013 at 14:10.
Old 15th January 2013, 21:17   #5705
Distinguished - BHPian

As a former IP4s user who shifted to Android completely in Oct '12 (may be temporarily as Ip5 was a disappointment) I never thought I'd see Apple eating humble pie so soon!

a) Cuts orders for IP5 parts due to lower than expected sales.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414248,00.asp

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...730364998.html

After the Apple IOS6 and Maps fiasco they needed a good kick in the rump. And they got it.

And Apple needs to adapt to developing markets says former CEO John Sculley

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...5c8_story.html
Old 15th January 2013, 21:43   #5706
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
As a former IP4s user who shifted to Android completely in Oct '12 (may be temporarily as Ip5 was a disappointment) I never thought I'd see Apple eating humble pie so soon!

After the Apple IOS6 and Maps fiasco they needed a good kick in the rump. And they got it.

And Apple needs to adapt to developing markets says former CEO John Sculley

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...5c8_story.html
Apple surely is facing the heat but Sculley's sayings shouldnt be given a lot of weight, the guy was always anti-Jobs.
Old 15th January 2013, 22:53   #5707
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Apple surely is facing the heat but Sculley's sayings shouldnt be given a lot of weight, the guy was always anti-Jobs.
This is not about Jobs he's been gone 15 months now. It is what Apple is/has been doing wrong in the past and what it should do to correct itself. Sometimes you have to stand back at a distance to see the picture correctly i.e. the big picture.

Sculley, who is now a 3rd party, with his knowledge of Apple and the market may be quite the right person to give them something to think about.

As a potential customer in the 'developing world' I will welcome a reduction or loss of smugness on Apple's part.

Trust me, I've worked in the tech industry for 2 decades and have seen giants like DEC, CDC, and Compaq rise like stars and come crashing down in a whimper. Apple itself has seen massive upheavals. In the world of technology nothing should be taken for granted.
Old 16th January 2013, 13:39   #5708
BHPian

Quote:

There is an other school of thought as well --

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markrogo...n-to-the-core/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...-analysts-say/

And then there's an analyst who thinks the AAPL stock is being beaten down (using negative stories) for a specific reason --
http://seekingalpha.com/article/1002...-on-january-18

Last edited by nileshch : 16th January 2013 at 13:51. Reason: Added another link
Old 16th January 2013, 14:06   #5709
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
There is an other school of thought as well
Interesting points of view there. Thanks for these links. Of course it doesn't do away with the fact that Apple needs to refresh its IOS, sort out the issues with Maps and give customers in developing countries more than just a nod of acknowledgement.
Old 16th January 2013, 14:17   #5710
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is not about Jobs he's been gone 15 months now.
Apologies for this OT Post.

It doesn't feel like 15 months to me. I almost had to go and check Wikipedia to confirm that.

Anyway if someone has time on their hands, a lovely read - A Sister’s Eulogy for Steve Jobs
Old 16th January 2013, 14:36   #5711
Senior - BHPian

A cheap iPhone is really the need of the hour for Apple.

Most of my friends and colleagues do/did not buy iPhone only because its expensive. Otherwise, everyone is a fan of Apple and its products.

Secondly, as rightly mentioned by R2D2, the IOS needs a heavy refresh. The home page of all iPhones till date has been the same static homepage. Some icons have been added, some gone but its still static and boring to an extent.

Windows 8 tiles are interesting, but too much of dynamism could also spoil the fun. I like Android's customization of lock screen and home screen.

Maps, heavy vignetting issue of the camera, chipping off issue of the body, the 'Do Not Disturb' fiasco on the New Year's eve and 1st Jan, and most importantly, the exorbitant price in India and some other countries, has made people stay from Apple and look for alternatives.

Wake up Cook!
Old 16th January 2013, 14:36   #5712
BHPian

Quote:
Of course it doesn't do away with the fact that Apple needs to refresh its IOS, sort out the issues with Maps and give customers in developing countries more than just a nod of acknowledgement.
I wholeheartedly agree with that. I still don't think that Apple maps will ever reach the level of detail that Google Maps is today. They might offer better usability and interesting features but not the level of detail. And yes, the cold shoulder that India gets from Apple is shocking. I am sure India buys more Apple products that some nondescript country in Europe!
Old 16th January 2013, 17:07   #5713
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Maps, heavy vignetting issue of the camera, chipping off issue of the body, the 'Do Not Disturb' fiasco on the New Year's eve and 1st Jan, and most importantly, the exorbitant price in India and some other countries, has made people stay from Apple and look for alternatives.

Wake up Cook!
+1

Guess what? I am now willing to try out Windows P8 and buy one for my wife. The Lumia 920 seems to a nice phone. Let me see what IP6 turns out to be.

Though Apple may not be saying so directly but they do seem to be making some levels of conciliation to the fact that India is getting important. 2 incidents show that they are leaning towards India - the most important is the launching the iTunes store and 2nd controlling the distribution of Apple products via well established distributors like Redington & Ingram Micro without telecom companies being involved. Though that didn't result in a reduction in price last time around I am hopeful it will some day. The sad thing is that Apple cannot open its Apple stores due to some vague FDI regulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with that. I still don't think that Apple maps will ever reach the level of detail that Google Maps is today. They might offer better usability and interesting features but not the level of detail. And yes, the cold shoulder that India gets from Apple is shocking. I am sure India buys more Apple products that some nondescript country in Europe!
The thing is, when I got my 1st IP (a 3GS) back in 2009, it was a great change from the Symbian phones I used prior to that. Beautiful handset, amazing OS and I fell in love. Then came the IP4 and the IP4s with increases in costs.

At that point I had 2 phones an Android (Motorola Razr) and a IP4s. At Rs 57500 for a 64GB model , I quite literally expect perfection. A year's worth of usage told me I like Android better due to "customizability" and better control that ***I*** could have over the phone and the price. I sold off the Moto and the Ip4s and purchased 2 Samsungs the Galaxy S3 and Note 2.

While neither of these have the fit and finish (or price ) of the Ip4s the introduction of the IP5 and IOS6 (which I installed on the Ip4s) was enough to drive me away from Apple for a while.

Then came a time when I wanted to purchase a laptop. Naturally I gravitated to a Mac Book Pro with Retina display having temporarily used my bro's 17" MBP in 2011. But the config I wanted came at a high price 1.92L to be precise. I didn't think it was worth the money and went in for a Dell Ultrabook with Win8 and a SSD that boots in ~7 seconds. It cost me a little over 1/3rd the price of the MBP. Apple's India pricing is ALL wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Anyway if someone has time on their hands, a lovely read - A Sister’s Eulogy for Steve Jobs
Yes I read that article. I considered Jobs as a visionary and wrote in to Apple upon his demise to express my condolences. I am not sure if Apple will be the same again.

Last edited by R2D2 : 16th January 2013 at 17:09.
Old 16th January 2013, 17:17   #5714
Senior - BHPian

Apple can very well build a cheaper iphone that would still perform smoothly (compared to Android which seems to need very high spec hardware). Hope they do.
Old 16th January 2013, 19:54   #5715
BHPian

Quote:

May be all rumors, check below link. 52 millions is heck of a count.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...terly-earnings

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks