Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2015, 15:38   #7966
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

iPhone 5S running on iOS9 since 19th SEP '15

1. Runs wee bit laggy
2. Spotlight Search window is back again (hate it, though it was present in iOS6/7)
3. Battery life has definitely improved. Have tested on '3G', '3G & Wifi', 'Wifi' and Normal Cellular Network (No Data)

Ahem!

The iPhone Thread-img_7815.png

iPad2 Mini running on iOS9

1. Didn't notice any lags
2. No Spotlight Search window (duh!)
3. Battery still at 43% since Saturday, running on 3G only

Last edited by planet_rocker : 22nd September 2015 at 15:39.
Old 22nd September 2015, 20:49   #7967
Senior - BHPian

Guys, by how much will prices of 5S fall when 6S and 6S+ is launched? I'm trying to move to iphones, barring only the price so far. Already familiar with the apple ecosystem (using iMac and iPad). Also 6 and 6+ feel too big for me. Will 5S feel/ become outdated? I know Apple products last a while, but would like to know opinion of others too.
Old 22nd September 2015, 21:52   #7968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Guys, by how much will prices of 5S fall when 6S and 6S+ is launched? I'm trying to move to iphones, barring only the price so far. Already familiar with the apple ecosystem (using iMac and iPad). Also 6 and 6+ feel too big for me. Will 5S feel/ become outdated? I know Apple products last a while, but would like to know opinion of others too.
I still feel iPhone 5S is a good buy not sure what the prices would be after 6s launch , right now its 28k in amazon.in but it might come down by 4k or so. It would be a good buy at 24k.
Old 22nd September 2015, 22:37   #7969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
I still feel iPhone 5S is a good buy not sure what the prices would be after 6s launch , right now its 28k in amazon.in but it might come down by 4k or so. It would be a good buy at 24k.

Apple has officially brought the 5S down to 30k for 16gb IIRC. It will take a while for it to come down below 25k(probably diwali time) on online portals.
Old 23rd September 2015, 00:26   #7970
BHPian

iOS 9 seems to have taken care of scripts launching apps from webpages as well as opening up new tabs etc. this is really nice now when using safari.
Old 23rd September 2015, 05:03   #7971
Team-BHP Support

I updated my iPhone5S to iOS9 yesterday. I like the new grouping of pics in the Camera Roll, as well as the keyboard which now emulates Android behavior when typing lower case characters. The music app also has a better looking interface, although the usability is yet to be seen, as far as i am concerned.

As for the performance and battery life, no real changes noticed atleast as yet.
I updated the iOS using iTunes, and moved up from iOS 8.3, IIRC. I was not on the latest iOS8 version prior to updating.
Old 23rd September 2015, 07:18   #7972
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you are moving to an iPhone, my recommendation would be to get the 6 atleast. I used to think that the 5S got the right size for an iPhone, but after using the 6 I feel the 5S screen is too cramped (5S is my work phone and wife use the 6). 6+ is almost like a tablet but 6 I feel is just the right size.
And I already feel 5S is outdated (its two generation old now)
Old 23rd September 2015, 08:30   #7973
BHPian

I upgraded to iOS9 on my 3 year old iphone 5.
The upgrade was smooth and it was done in 20 minutes. Noticed no lag in performance after upgrade.
Just that the operating system is taking up too much space in my humble 16Gb phone.
I had to delete lot of photos / music to accommodate the upgrade.
Old 23rd September 2015, 11:34   #7974
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Being a user of 5 for the past 2.5+ years, I can say 5S would be VFM when the 6S comes out. Apple devices are indeed wonderful products but it becomes difficult to justify the investments in them as we hardly use them for 2-4 years max. IMO paying 20-25k for the 5S and using it for 2-3 years makes more sense than paying 40-50k for the 6/6s. Apple would probably discontinue the 6 once 6s is launched just like it stopped 5 it launched 5s.

Regarding screen size, I would say the 4" screen is very handy for daily use unless of course if you read a LOT of articles and watch movies on your mobiles. I do read the news daily and and watch a couple of videos once in a few days. For me the 5 seems more than adequate. Add to that the lag-free experience and the wonderful camera and I have been loyal to my phone. Hope to use it for another year at least unless I get a tempting deal on a black 5s.
Old 23rd September 2015, 12:23   #7975
BHPian

Apple is going to sell all three generations concurrently. That is 5S,6 and 6S. After the recent 5S-price revision the 30K price is more or less in sync with the us unlocked sim free prices of USD 450+ (current rate of 65 bucks). Don't think I can say the same for the 6 and upcoming 6S. I was thinking of waiting and getting the 6S some time back. Till I got a hint of what it would cost with 16gb being the base storage. Got a Galaxy S5 in the interim period, I'l probably use it a while and consider picking up the 64 gb iPhone 6.
Old 23rd September 2015, 12:51   #7976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Being a user of 5 for the past 2.5+ years, I can say 5S would be VFM when the 6S comes out. Apple devices are indeed wonderful products but it becomes difficult to justify the investments in them as we hardly use them for 2-4 years max. IMO paying 20-25k for the 5S and using it for 2-3 years makes more sense than paying 40-50k for the 6/6s. Apple would probably discontinue the 6 once 6s is launched just like it stopped 5 it launched 5s.

Regarding screen size, I would say the 4" screen is very handy for daily use unless of course if you read a LOT of articles and watch movies on your mobiles.
Yes, thankyou. This makes me glad. Currently I use a 4.7" phone but it's a first gen moto x so overall phone size is small but still I feel it's a tad too big. My main use will be calls, messaging, an occasional email and maybe a game or two.

I can vouch for iMac lasting long, 3.5+ years and as good as new. The bug for Apple has bit me hard. Also don't want to start Android vs apple debate, but the Apple cameras are simply superb. Even ipad camera takes very good pictures in decent light. And if I get the 5s, it'll be with me for a while.

Also hyperlapse is available only on iOS. Amazing timelapse app.
Old 23rd September 2015, 12:59   #7977
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, thankyou. This makes me glad. Currently I use a 4.7" phone but it's a first gen moto x so overall phone size is small but still I feel it's a tad too big. My main use will be calls, messaging, an occasional email and maybe a game or two.

I can vouch for iMac lasting long, 3.5+ years and as good as new. The bug for Apple has bit me hard. Also don't want to start Android vs apple debate, but the Apple cameras are simply superb. Even ipad camera takes very good pictures in decent light. And if I get the 5s, it'll be with me for a while.

Also hyperlapse is available only on iOS. Amazing timelapse app.
iPhone 5S camera is big leap from iPhone 5 camera , which i was not aware. Night pics are good in 5S and make sure that you buy an Indian model(Models purchased from US does not support airtel 4g).
Old 23rd September 2015, 21:56   #7978
KRN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
Night pics are good in 5S and make sure that you buy an Indian model(Models purchased from US does not support airtel 4g).
Can you pls confirm that this is true? I was contemplating an iPhone 6S from the US and if it is not going to work with Airtel 4G, it is a deal breaker
Old 23rd September 2015, 22:09   #7979
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
If you are moving to an iPhone, my recommendation would be to get the 6 atleast.
I know it is subjective, but honestly, hand on heart, the 6 just doesn't look good. I myself am considering a buy [from long] but was waiting for 6+ hoping against hope for a design change, something on the lines of 5S.

Few friends have the 5S and no issues with them and considering the savings over the current model, it makes sense IMHO.
Old 23rd September 2015, 23:02   #7980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I know it is subjective, but honestly, hand on heart, the 6 just doesn't look good. I myself am considering a buy [from long] but was waiting for 6+ hoping against hope for a design change, something on the lines of 5S.

Few friends have the 5S and no issues with them and considering the savings over the current model, it makes sense IMHO.
Yeah. 5S feels perfect for my hands. My opinion might be biased towards small phones, but I feel the overall size of the phone must be small. iPhones have quite a lot of space above and below screens that make the phone bigger. Eg. My moto x (first gen) compared to 6 is small over all even though both same same sized screens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRN View Post
Can you pls confirm that this is true? I was contemplating an iPhone 6S from the US and if it is not going to work with Airtel 4G, it is a deal breaker
Check the bands supported on the apple page. I think 6S supports more bands than ever.

Acc to www.Apple.com/iPhone/LTE model no A1633(6S) and A1634(6S plus) support one band ( 30-2300Mhz) more than A1688(6S) and A1687(6S plus).

Acc to what I know, Airtel used 1800 and 2300 Td lte bands pan India. So unless you buy a carrier locked phone, it should work in India.

Last edited by blackwasp : 23rd September 2015 at 23:05.

Most Viewed