Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2017, 10:14   #10591
tud
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
I would like know if you folks purchased your iphones at a retail outlet physically or through e-comm sites such as amazon or flipkart. I am contemplating to get my hands on an iphone very soon. Would you suggest iphone 6s, 7 or 7+?
Buy it online if there are exciting cashback offers and buy back offers. Pay online and wait (the wait is justified if the cash backs and buy backs are good enough).

Else just walk in to your nearest store and buy one. Instant joy!

Always go for the latest edition of the iPhone. The reason being, the cost of an iPhone is justified when you use it for a minimum of 3 years (anything more than 3, you are too good and too lucky). Trust me, this entire 3 years period you will not face any issue like phone being slow, apps crashing, etc.

Apple provides 4-5 years of iOS upgrade support. Every year by Sep/Oct all iPhones around the world will get their annual iOS upgrade. So if you buy a 6S you'll probably get iOS support for 2 years and then you'll have to stay put with an old iOS.

Having said that, between an iPhone 7+ and 8+, it is okay to go for the 7+ as the 8+ is not really an upgrade in terms of features (due to the iPhone X).
Old 2nd November 2017, 15:19   #10592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
No issues here on Vodafone. I am on 11.1
Call Airtel and ask them to send/push settings by sms. Save settings once received. Might work.
Resetting the network settings helped. Other observations on iOS 11.1 compared to older iOS (iPhone7 128GB):

1. I am noticing consistently high RAM usage with all apps flushed from back ground - only 10-15% free for apps. For older iOS that number was consistently over 20% (at times over 30%)
2. Battery performance at par with 11.0.3. Does not hold candle to the levels of 10.3.3. Not sure what battery tests iDeviceHelp performed which showed 3 hours of additional usage time with 11.1 over 11.0.3. He has been acknowledged for one of the bug fixes regarding lock screen bypass by the way.
3. 3D touch lag no longer there (thank goodness!)
4. 3D touch multi tasking is back (yaay!)
5. Phone feels less jittery as compared to 11.0.3
6. Geek-bench score of 6031 (that is a first for my device). I used to get around 5900. That increase does not mean anything for real life usage.

Cheers! Update but do not expect magic! If you are on 10.3.3 or lower, I would say stay there.
Old 2nd November 2017, 15:24   #10593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tud View Post
Buy it online if there are exciting cashback offers and buy back offers. Pay online and wait (the wait is justified if the cash backs and buy backs are good enough).

Else just walk in to your nearest store and buy one. Instant joy!

Always go for the latest edition of the iPhone. The reason being, the cost of an iPhone is justified when you use it for a minimum of 3 years (anything more than 3, you are too good and too lucky). Trust me, this entire 3 years period you will not face any issue like phone being slow, apps crashing, etc.

Apple provides 4-5 years of iOS upgrade support. Every year by Sep/Oct all iPhones around the world will get their annual iOS upgrade. So if you buy a 6S you'll probably get iOS support for 2 years and then you'll have to stay put with an old iOS.

Having said that, between an iPhone 7+ and 8+, it is okay to go for the 7+ as the 8+ is not really an upgrade in terms of features (due to the iPhone X).
Appreciate the detailed explanation. I see myself picking up the either 7 or SE
Supposing I pick up the 7, how many years do I have to avail the upgrades apple has to offer?
Old 2nd November 2017, 16:45   #10594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Appreciate the detailed explanation. I see myself picking up the either 7 or SE
Supposing I pick up the 7, how many years do I have to avail the upgrades apple has to offer?
Pick up the 7 and not the SE. I am using the SE and it is an excellent phone. But the screen size is too small for me.

With 7 expect support till 2021.
Old 2nd November 2017, 18:33   #10595
tud
BHPian

Quote:
2020. Mostly the iOS upgrade in 2019 or 2020 (definitely) will slow your phone due to the higher ram and better chip requirements for the latest iOS and other apps.

SE has the same chip as 6S, so its definitely a good buy if you expect to use it for next 2 years. At Rs 19000, its a definite yes!

I wouldn't go for the 7. 7+ is a much more endowed cousin to the 7. Especially if you want to use it for 3+ years, with the iPhone 7, you are going to be stuck with a phone with no portrait camera when every other phone out there has it. 7+ on the other hand is as good as the 8+. Only downside being the screen size, try keeping a demo phone in your pocket and see if you can sit comfortably. If so, the 7+ is more value for money than the 7.

Last edited by tud : 2nd November 2017 at 18:35.
Old 3rd November 2017, 04:31   #10596
Senior - BHPian

Any one prebooked iPhone X via Jio. Any updates?
Old 3rd November 2017, 08:12   #10597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Any one prebooked iPhone X via Jio. Any updates?
Not through Jio but with Reliance Digital. Apple representative from Reliance created a WhatsApp group the day I prebooked and kept updating the status and I was 9th on the queue. Yesterday evening he called and informed only 3 units are allocated for their store and similar is the story else where.
I'm not keen on having my hands on the first day but then thought not to miss 10K cashback offer from Citi Bank as it is valid only until Nov 3 6PM to Nov 4 ~ 7AM.

Before going with Reliance I even checked with iStore and Chroma where the queue is even more.

I may push my buying date depending on the cashback offer from Citi else need to scout for better offer elsewhere.

Cheers!
Old 3rd November 2017, 16:24   #10598
Senior - BHPian

Airtel has a booking offer on the Iphone X model for its postpaid customers. It opens today from 6pm. Whoever is interested (and are airtel's postpaid customers) can avail of this offer.
Old 3rd November 2017, 17:34   #10599
BHPian

Updated to iOS 11.1, but since then facing some device heating issue. Has anyone else faced any such issues?
Old 3rd November 2017, 17:45   #10600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
Not sure what battery tests iDeviceHelp performed which showed 3 hours of additional usage time with 11.1 over 11.0.3. He has been acknowledged for one of the bug fixes regarding lock screen bypass by the way.
I am seeing tremendous battery life improvement over 11.0.3 on my iPhone 6S. With 11.0.3, I was barely getting around 12-13 hours for average usage. However, with 11.1 I am easily getting 30+ hours with same usage pattern.
Old 3rd November 2017, 17:45   #10601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
Updated to iOS 11.1, but since then facing some device heating issue. Has anyone else faced any such issues?
Yes, i have faced this issue on my iPhone 7 - especially while updating apps and watching videos on safari/youtube app. It gets extremely hot - hotter than my old 5S. Taking off the case and restarting solves the issue. Also i have noticed, higher RAM usage by the OS - 20% higher than before. This is causing apps held in the background to refresh when switched - not the case earlier. Seems the OS is designed keeping 3GB devices in mind as compared to 2GB earlier.

@bhp_maniac: 30 hours on usage on 6S? Is that usage (onscreen) or stand-by? I believe 6-7 hours of onscreen time is standard for the non-plus models. How many physical hours (stand-by) that translates to depends on usage and apps. With iOS 11, that 6-7 hours has become 5-6 hours for my iPhone 7, which for my usage (mostly Safari, YouTube, iMessage, Camera and occasional Whatsapp) translates to around 18 physical hours (over 20 hours with iOS 10).

Last edited by feluda86 : 3rd November 2017 at 17:52. Reason: Address another query
Old 3rd November 2017, 22:36   #10602
BHPian

Placed an order at Airtel online store using Citi bank credit card. The order was successful and Airtel now had promised for a delivery not later than 9 November. Now how can I get to know about the 10K cash back offer, with who should I check and is there anything required from my side?
Any pointers are appreciated.
Cheers!
Old 3rd November 2017, 23:06   #10603
BHPian

I called up Maple Store at R City mall, Ghatkopar this afternoon. I was informed that they were receiving total 25 units only for both 64 & 256 gb iPhone X and all units were pre-booked and would be handed over as per pre booking sequence.
The next pre-booking has begun and they are expecting the next lot around 20th Nov 2017. Would not be surprised if the next lot to them is again 25 pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Placed an order at Airtel online store using Citi bank credit card. The order was successful and Airtel now had promised for a delivery not later than 9 November. Now how can I get to know about the 10K cash back offer, with who should I check and is there anything required from my side?
Any pointers are appreciated.
Cheers!
When I purchased my iPhone 7 plus, i was eligible for a Rs 5000 cashback via Citibank Credit card. To avail this, the entire payment was made for the phone by my card and my cash back was credited into my Citibank Credit Card in 3 months as promised. Please note, cash back took 3 months early this year for my purchase so I would assume it may be 3 months before your cashback is credited back - please confirm with citibank customer service.

Since you have made an online purchase via Airtel store, you should contact Citibank customer service. But since it is a valid Citibank offer, it should not be an issue. I hope there was mention of Citibank cash back in the payment receipt that you generated online.
Old 4th November 2017, 15:50   #10604
Team-BHP Support

Checked the iPhone X today at a nearby shop. From the few minutes of playing around, I did not find it any special. There is no home button and the selfie camera was brilliant - thats pretty much about it. It should appeal true blue apple fans; my wife who is on iPhone for many years (from iPhone 3G) said she don't feel like moving from her 7 plus to this one.
Old 4th November 2017, 17:37   #10605
Senior - BHPian

Wow, fanboys take the product launch to a whole new level

https://www.indiatimes.com/technolog...on-332973.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks