Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2019, 10:07   #12481
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The experience at Apple Care is totally different than the ones abroad. For eg: it's just a kiosk and the people receiving you are disinterested like anything. Oversees they have a long conversation with you and try a few buttons/tricks before taking it in.
Specifically on this, the ones abroad are Apple owned stores (most of them, unless they are part of a larger electronics store) with Apple 'geniuses' helping you out. Here none of the Apple Care shops are Apple run or monitored. Experience varies from shop to shop. I have had a good experience with the iPlanet staff in Whitefield.
Old 6th December 2019, 12:52   #12482
BHPian

I am having a peculiar problem ever since I had removed one of my google mailbox from iPhone. So the problem is:

Say I have a contact saved by the name of 'ABC' and I can see its saved in the phone book with name 'ABC' but in my google address book (which is now removed) it was saved with name 'XYZ'. So now whenever that person calls me now, the contact name is displayed 'ABC or XYZ'. This issue is only faced whenever I get an incoming call. For all outgoing calls, phone shows the correct name i.e. 'ABC'. Following remedial steps I have tried.

1. Delete the contact and adding the same again
2. Turn off iCloud Sync and resyncing it again
3. look for duplicates
4. Turn of contact sync in existing mailbox (Outlook and Gmail)

Can anyone let me what more can I do to resolve this? many thanks!

drive_angry
Old 6th December 2019, 13:00   #12483
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post

Can anyone let me what more can I do to resolve this? many thanks!

drive_angry
Edit the contact on Google Contacts and see it that works.

Outgoing calls, your phone's dialing from your edited local contact details, incoming calls the phone may be struggling to resolve locally stored number and the google contact, causing the OR display.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th December 2019 at 13:02.
Old 6th December 2019, 16:58   #12484
Senior - BHPian

Hi, thanks to you my 2.5 year old iPhoneX has got a new lease of life. The phone was handed back to me by iCare Forum Mall with free screen and one defective component replaced, and it's looking brand new. They haven't put any scratches on it. I checked out the iPhone11 and pro (for exchange), but the iPhone X in white/silver is the best looking iPhone till date. So I'll use this till it breaks
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
Do keep us posted regarding the outcome. @readers, please keep checking this link for service programs which are applicable globally.
Old 6th December 2019, 19:29   #12485
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, thanks to you my 2.5 year old iPhoneX has got a new lease of life. So I'll use this till it breaks

Happy to help. Although i am a gadget nerd of sorts but changing phone every single year feels like a pain. I strictly believe that any and all itches can wait until your existing device is fully functional. And with iPhones, one can easily survive the three year upgrade cycle without being bored or the hardware giving up and still get decent buy back. In your case move from X to 11 would in any case be evolutionary since next year would have been complete overhaul of device and supposed demise of lightning port. One thing you have got to appreciate is that Apple's service programs work, but then again i have only seen apple's devices in need of service programs
Hope you enjoy your device which has now got a fresh lease of life for many more years to come.
Old 10th December 2019, 01:58   #12486
Senior - BHPian

I’m planning on upgrading from 6S to 8 (not interested in X / XR / 11) solely because I’m not a fan of big screens + without bezels and buttons to verify my fingerprint

Since the model is stopped, is it wise to go ahead with it?
Old 10th December 2019, 02:12   #12487
Senior - BHPian

I have an iPhone 8 and it's a brilliant phone, but I'm not sure upgrading to a model >2 years will be worth it if you keep your phone for a long time(seems like you do .) If I were you, I'd try to get a XS. The device is only slightly taller than an 8 and Face ID works like a charm.

If you're willing to move away from iOS, there's a sea of Android devices. Have heard good things about Nokia 7/8 or OnePlus.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 10th December 2019 at 02:14.
Old 10th December 2019, 06:52   #12488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
I’m planning on upgrading from 6S to 8 (not interested in X / XR / 11) solely because I’m not a fan of big screens + without bezels and buttons to verify my fingerprint

If you’re fixated on the above thoughts, you could as well wait for the SE2 that’s expected to be launched in Mar’20. Will contain the same physicals as 8 yet will pack a powerful A13 Bionic chipset which shall offer terrific value proposition.

Cheers,
Vijay
Old 10th December 2019, 07:06   #12489
Senior - BHPian

iPhone8 is coming to 40k and iPhone11 is 50, after Rs.7000 cash back when I enquired at the showroom. With iPhone, its better to stick with latest models (understand your reservations on screen size)
Quote:

Old 10th December 2019, 10:56   #12490
BHPian

Quote:
iPhone8 is coming to 40k and iPhone11 is 50, after Rs.7000 cash back when I enquired at the showroom. With iPhone, its better to stick with latest models (understand your reservations on screen size)
iPhone 11 for 50k? I am guessing you are talking about the 64 GB. I was under the impression it is 65k less 7k cashback. Can you tell me more about the deal?

Quote:

Do consider the XR or 11 at this point. They are 1/2 years newer than the 8. For not much more money (especially the XR) you are getting a much better and newer phone.

My 6S is turning 4 in a few weeks. Been a very reliable companion throughout. Is on its second battery and is beginning to struggle a bit. I had a mental block against the XR / 11 primarily because of the screen. (The Pro is way out of budget especially since I am looking at at least 128 GB or more of storage). Have warmed up to the 11 now. Spent some time reading about it and watching reviews. It does make a good value case for itself. Great camera, good battery life, snappy performance but with a 'sufficient display'. Most likely will be going with an 11 soon. Have made peace with the screen and the larger size.

Last edited by promit : 10th December 2019 at 11:02.
Old 11th December 2019, 17:50   #12491
Team-BHP Support

iOS 13.3 has been released, using it since morning and seems stable.

http://www.iclarified.com/73691/appl...s-133-download
Old 11th December 2019, 18:55   #12492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
iOS 13.3 has been released, using it since morning and seems stable.

http://www.iclarified.com/73691/appl...s-133-download
Update today afternoon, and since then I am facing an issue with the app switcher (open apps). It gets frozen, and I cannot scroll left/right. But I can swipe up the visible app though.

Every new update fixes some bugs, and introduces something new
Old 12th December 2019, 11:08   #12493
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
Every new update fixes some bugs, and introduces something new
Have you tried killing all apps and restarting the phone? Seems more like something behind the scene in your device.
Old 12th December 2019, 11:14   #12494
BHPian

Upgraded from the current iPhone7 to 128gb black iPhone11 for 64k (5k cashback thru HDFC card) from iPlanet Jayanagar.

Compared to the 7 it is certainly heavy and with the spigen soft silicon cover it really bulges, however getting used to it.

It came with 13.2.3, is it advisable to upgrade to 13.3? Any thoughts please?
Old 12th December 2019, 11:16   #12495
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
It came with 13.2.3, is it advisable to upgrade to 13.3? Any thoughts please?
Absolutely fine and much more stable version as per my experience.

Most Viewed