Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2019, 02:08   #12511
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

Also make sure you have "Optimised battery charging" switched on in Settings.
"Optimised Battery Charging" option automatically maintains maximum charging up to 80% when phone is plugged in and idle (in case phone is plugged in for overnight charging). When it is near time you usually start using the phone in the morning, it then charges the battery to 100%. This way the battery is not charged 100% all the time it is plugged in to a charger. The link below explains -

https://9to5mac.com/2019/10/01/ios-1...tery-charging/
Old 18th December 2019, 08:30   #12512
Senior - BHPian

Oh yes I was referring to storage, pardon my ignorance. If you indeed have the 256 Gigs, then you have it all covered. Yeah RAM needs to be up by a notch. Frankly the touch identification is much preferred to facial recognition, especially when I'm biking.
Quote:
Actually they do - I have a 256 GB model. I assume you are referring to storage not RAM. The 7/7+ have 2 GB IIRC. Sounds low by today's standards but the phone works very nicely.
Old 18th December 2019, 08:50   #12513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Yeah RAM needs to be up by a notch. Frankly the touch identification is much preferred to facial recognition, especially when I'm biking.
The 7+ isn't as smooth (comparatively speaking) as the new models but then that's to be expected. I continue to prefer the fingerprint/touch ID to facial recognition that I tried out with my brother's IP-X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
"Optimised Battery Charging" option automatically maintains maximum charging up to 80% when phone is plugged in and idle ..This way the battery is not charged 100% all the time it is plugged in to a charger. The link below explains -
Yep, hence my suggestion to switch it on. It learns from your charge and usage patterns.

But I do not rely on this function and disconnect the charger when the battery hits about 80-85%. I also do not leave any phone or device connected to a charger overnight. All this said my new battery's health (replaced May '19) is reducing by approx. 1% every 2 months. It is currently at 97% with moderate use and no gaming. The stock wasn't fresh is my guess. Oh well, by the time this one is ready for a replacement I'll most likely buy a new 5G iPhone. It's a new lease of life for my IP7+ for only Rs 3500. A far better deal than spending several 10s of thousands on a new phone even after exchange.
Old 18th December 2019, 11:46   #12514
Senior - BHPian

There was a spot deal on this protective glass and I picked it up for 649. Turns out the glue doesn't stick very well since it is old stock. So I returned it, and this time Amazon sent me the latest batch (correct one). This costs 999. And I'm quite satisfied. The one on the left is the latest one, and the tray is transparent (for those who wish to buy this). Avoid the black outer box with the white tray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
The first tempered glass I got from showroom cracked due to a drop recently. The phone display was protected from all damages and scratches
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-img_00971.jpg  

Old 19th December 2019, 01:40   #12515
BHPian

Quote:
Yep, hence my suggestion to switch it on. It learns from your charge and usage patterns.

But I do not rely on this function and disconnect the charger when the battery hits about 80-85%. I also do not leave any phone or device connected to a charger overnight.
I have been charging all my iPhones from gen 3 onwards overnight and used each version for around 2 years. Never faced battery issues. Now the optimized charing mode in the newer models to manage battery life gives me more confidence to keep the phone plugged in overnight.

By the way I exchanged my 2 year old iPhone X for a 11 Pro during my recent trip to the US. Got 400 USD off on exchange and I couldn't let go of this offer. All I had to do was hand over my phone at the apple store - no bill or box or charger required for exchange. Data transfer to the new phone was done in minutes and I was out of the store in 20 minutes.
Old 19th December 2019, 09:34   #12516
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have been charging all my iPhones from gen 3 onwards overnight and used each version for around 2 years. Never faced battery issues. Now the optimized charing mode in the newer models to manage battery life gives me more confidence to keep the phone plugged in overnight.
You will not face battery "issues" should you continually charge to 100% each time. It is not recommended because of the nature of the batteries used. I used to charge my devices to 100% back in the IP3 days too but now follow suggested best practices.

Quote:
By the way I exchanged my 2 year old iPhone X for a 11 Pro during my recent trip to the US. Got 400 USD off on exchange and I couldn't let go of this offer. All I had to do was hand over my phone at the apple store - no bill or box or charger required for exchange. Data transfer to the new phone was done in minutes and I was out of the store in 20 minutes.
$400 is good deal for the IP-X. Congrats!
Old 19th December 2019, 10:40   #12517
BANNED

Quote:
. The 7/7+ have 2 GB IIRC. Sounds low by today's standards but the phone works very nicely.

7 has 2GB RAM and 7 plus has 3GB Ram
Old 19th December 2019, 10:40   #12518
Senior - BHPian

I know the feeling! Good that you got it done in the US. In India, the staff just don't care. Either they look away and avert their gaze or are constantly on their mobile phone, so you're left figuring out things on your own. And if you ask for an exchange price they will quote such a low figure that you just look at them with disgust. Apple retail in India is akin to visiting a hardware store to buy cement
Quote:
Old 19th December 2019, 11:57   #12519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
7 has 2GB RAM and 7 plus has 3GB Ram
Thanks. Yes, the 7+ has 3 GB of RAM.
Old 19th December 2019, 21:36   #12520
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

I use a gifted 2015/2016 iPhone 6 64GB and classify myself in the moderate to light user strata.

Since the announcement of iOS 13 I have experienced a lot of random shut-downs, lag while typing and also totally berserk speech recognition while typing. The battery health app shows 85% capacity after all these years of use and I do not have issues with the phone dying out on me during the day except for the issues mentioned above.

Will replacing the battery help?
Old 19th December 2019, 22:34   #12521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
I use a gifted 2015/2016 iPhone 6 64GB and classify myself in the moderate to light user strata.

Since the announcement of iOS 13 I have experienced a lot of random shut-downs, lag while typing and also totally berserk speech recognition while typing. The battery health app shows 85% capacity after all these years of use and I do not have issues with the phone dying out on me during the day except for the issues mentioned above.

As per my personal experience with iOS 13 on an iPhone X, iOS 13 has been less stable and glitch free as opposed to the previous versions. I have been experiencing the same problems as mentioned by you with my phone. As far as the battery is concerned, yours has degraded normally for the time frame in question. I would suggest that you keep using the phone as it is for another one year with battery degradation taking its natural course as replacing the battery would only be worth the money if you use the phone for another 2-3 years which may not be the case as you may start experiencing the limitations of the old hardware with newer OS updates and newer apps with higher processing demands.
Old 19th December 2019, 22:57   #12522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Something doesn’t add up here. iPhone 6 doesn’t support iOS 13. Did you mean to say that after the release of iOS 13 and your phone actually running 12.XX, you’re facing these issues?
There’s a section under battery settings which tells you if your battery is supporting peak performance or not. Check that. What happens when your phone shuts down? Does it start without charging the battery or you need to plug it in?
Old 20th December 2019, 00:37   #12523
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Something doesn’t add up here. iPhone 6 doesn’t support iOS 13. Did you mean to say that after the release of iOS 13 and your phone actually running 12.XX, you’re facing these issues?
There’s a section under battery settings which tells you if your battery is supporting peak performance or not. Check that. What happens when your phone shuts down? Does it start without charging the battery or you need to plug it in?
Yes, its not on iOS 13 as it cannot be. Its on the latest iOS 12 update though. Peak performance screen says:

The iPhone Thread-9111fe4acd194003b0f48ab6e7168256.png

When it turns off sometimes it needs the charger to turn back on. Sometimes it used to turn on without the charger. I’ve seen that the battery % remains the same after restart.

revised battery capacity : 82%
Old 20th December 2019, 01:23   #12524
Senior - BHPian

Some more information on battery charging.

https://flip.it/P6Xna5

Cheers
Old 20th December 2019, 06:20   #12525
Senior - BHPian

I was told (when I bought iPhone7) that if it drops below 80% then its better to go for a new battery paying $29. No idea how much this stands true. ios13 is stable and one of the better updates
Quote:
revised battery capacity : 82%

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks