Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2011, 05:04   #1561
BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Khoj, I booked the O General AMG13G 1.14 T window AC. At BTU/hr rate of 13690, I hope it will be sufficient for my 130 sq.ft room for a few hours in the afternoon and at night. A couple of things I still do not know are:
  • Is it using R22 or R410A?
  • What is its star rating? This is not mentioned in the brochure or at their site.
Paid 23k for it. I hope that is an OK price. And now I need to pay for the installation. I hope it will not be too much.

Again, thanks for helping me out.

-Biju
Hope this helps you O General - AMG13G: Airconditioners (Window) - Best Price Rs.21,990 - Compare India

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18 View Post
Friends, I recently spoke to an AC mechanic about the star rating. His take was that, investing more on high star rating is of no use to people who will use their AC's only at night for few hours and that too only for the summer months.

According to him 5 star rated AC is useful to save money on electric bills, when the AC is going to work all year round.
How true is this assumption?
I came accross the same information. Damn now its confusing me whether I should go for 2,3 or 5 star AC. I have been uping my budget to get an Invertor AC once and for all. My usage mostly only in summers for 8-9 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Whirlpool is an American company for sure. The machines that they sell in India however are made in your neighbourhood itself i.e. Ranjangaon. This gives them a huge price advantage over Panasonic who are importing the ODU kits and completely buillt IDUs and also charge a higher premium for their brand. After all a Katrina does cost more than a Kajol.

Just like their brand ambassadors the only visible difference in the products may be in the fit and finish of the indoor units front panel, that too if you look very very closely.
Thats really convincing. Thanks. A sales exec informed me that they use their own compressors.

I checked the Whirlpool website. Dont find any detailed information about EER etc. Looks like they have not provided detailed information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
How big is the room? A 2 ton would be sufficient in a 150-200 sqf. room with max of 6 persons. There after more tonnage is required at approximately 4-6 persons/ton. Consider a 3 ton unit (3-phase if you have the supply, for lower running costs). I have this in mind for future (4 ton) LG TP-C488TLC1 Floor Standing AC - Plasma purifier, Anti corrosion Gold Fin, Auto swing, Zero Standby power, Self diagnosis function , Timer function - LG Electronics IN or (3 ton) LP-K3685QC Floor Standing AC Air Conditioning

If your total usage is going to be 200 days at 6 hours/day you will be running the AC for 1200 hours, and assuming 3kw you will consume 3600 units.

The difference in consumption, between 2 star and 5 star would not be more than 20 %, so you save about 700 units which translates to 5000 units over seven years, or 20-35k. An inverter unit will save more.

Thus in my opinion if your usage is as stated above, you will gain with 5 star definitely in long term (and more so if electricity prices go up).
@Aroy you are so good at it. Could you help me determine this analysis between 5 star rated and an inverter AC of 1.5 tons, where the usage would be for 8-9 hours and only mostly in summers. Just trying to understand the benifits with respect to the amount being paid upfront vs the monthy money hit in power bills for the limited usage that i would be doing.

------
Friends I have been to the market yesterday for some inquiries. Would post with some findings soon as I take some more time out today.
Old 20th March 2011, 23:36   #1562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju;2284662[LIST
[*]Is it using R22 or R410A?[*]What is its star rating? This is not mentioned in the brochure or at their site.[/list]Paid 23k for it. I hope that is an OK price. And now I need to pay for the installation. I hope it will not be too much.
At 23K installation should have been included unless it is on the new gas, which will explain the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
Folks - Need your expert advice here..

I am planning to get an A/C for my house in my native place, which i would visit once in a month. So, ideally the A/C will be used 3 or 4 days. I don't want to spend a lot (can we get an A/C < 20k)

-Bala
At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, I would say get a Whirlpool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
Thats really convincing. Thanks. A sales exec informed me that they use their own compressors.

I checked the Whirlpool website. Dont find any detailed information about EER etc. Looks like they have not provided detailed information.
Whirlpool has a range of compressors but for their refridgeration products.
Old 21st March 2011, 09:03   #1563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
@Aroy you are so good at it. Could you help me determine this analysis between 5 star rated and an inverter AC of 1.5 tons, where the usage would be for 8-9 hours and only mostly in summers. Just trying to understand the benifits with respect to the amount being paid upfront vs the monthly money hit in power bills for the limited usage that i would be doing.

------
Friends I have been to the market yesterday for some inquiries. Would post with some findings soon as I take some more time out today.
This is the information given on the LG Site LG Compare
Star, Model, EER, Current, Price
5* - LSA5MP5S, 3.2, 7.6, 37,290
3* - LSW5KP3S, 2.88, 8.4, 34,490
2* - LSW5KP2S, 2.69, 9.0, 33,090

Assuming you will run the AC for 6 months = 180 days x 9 hours = 1620 hours

Purchase price difference
5* - 2* = 4,200
5* - 3* = 2,800
current consumption difference (assume 1 unit = 4A-hour)
5* - 2* = 2268A => 576units
5* - 3* = 1296A => 324 units

at Rs5/unit
5* - 2* = 2880
5* - 3* = 1620
So in your case you recover the cost in less than 2 years. In my case, given Delhi heat, my running would be twice that of yours, and I will recover the cost in less than one year.

NOTE.
1. Please review the calculations, and correct them if some goof up has occurred.
2. For extremely hot weather the duty cycle borders on one - continuous running. For mild weather it can come down to 0.4, but constant switch on/off cycle consumes more power, hence combined power will be 0.5-0.6. So power consumption reduces and so do savings.
3. Inverter AC reduce power by slowing down once cooling is achieved, hence they save both on continuous power as well as on the start/stop cycle.
Old 21st March 2011, 14:16   #1564
BHPian

While 4amp isn't exactly 1 unit, its okay for rough estimate. Amp x volt = watt, => Amp x 220v = 1000watt => Amp = 1000/220 = 4.54. Figure will change if you consider 230 volt.

Its important to note that the compressor is not always ON. At those times power consumption of pump, fan, etc will be much less. So in your calculation lesser power consumption means more pay back period. My own calculation based on actual consumption posted abour 1.5 years back shows payback period in excess of 5 years.
Old 21st March 2011, 16:16   #1565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
While 4amp isn't exactly 1 unit, its okay for rough estimate. Amp x volt = watt, => Amp x 220v = 1000watt => Amp = 1000/220 = 4.54. Figure will change if you consider 230 volt.

Its important to note that the compressor is not always ON. At those times power consumption of pump, fan, etc will be much less. So in your calculation lesser power consumption means more pay back period. My own calculation based on actual consumption posted abour 1.5 years back shows payback period in excess of 5 years.
Point noted. Here is what I have observed

1. 5 months the duty cycle is 30sec off 5 min on = 90%
2. 3 months the duty cycle is 60sec off 3 min on = 66%
3. running current = 9Amp, starting current = 20Amp for 5-10 sec
4. Blower current = 1.5 Amp

hence the actual duty cycle averaged over 8 months taking into account starting current and blower consumption is 75-80%. This is borne by my electricity bills, as well as spot check on our meter (electronic). Hence the savings will degrade by 25%.

As the electricity charges are increasing monotonically, at least in Delhi, it makes sense to go for highest efficiency AC especially if there are multiple units (3 in my house). Expect major shortage of electricity in future, and if it is ever restricted, a higher efficiency will always win over a lower efficiency unit financially.

An advantage of an inverter AC is that it starts gradually and then runs continuously hence there is no starting current rush. The power consumption actually comes down as the cooling progresses. If ever a backup is required a 1.5 ton inverter AC can easily run off an 2.5KVA inverter, not at all feasible with normal compressors, the starting current will kill the inverter!
Old 21st March 2011, 16:45   #1566
BHPian

Today the AC technician came and installed the Panasonic 1.2 tonne cube AC.
He asked me Why I did not go for double stage stabilizier incase there is low voltage.

This got me thinking, Should I go for it? Then my current stabilizer will be of no use. Few AC like Hitachi, Samsung have inbuilt stabilizers and they work even when the voltage drops to 160v.

Rgds,
Vinod
Old 21st March 2011, 16:49   #1567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post

Purchase price difference
5* - 2* = 4,200
5* - 3* = 2,800
current consumption difference (assume 1 unit = 4A-hour)
5* - 2* = 2268A => 576units
5* - 3* = 1296A => 324 units

at Rs5/unit
5* - 2* = 2880
5* - 3* = 1620
So in your case you recover the cost in less than 2 years. In my case, given Delhi heat, my running would be twice that of yours, and I will recover the cost in less than one year.

NOTE.
3. Inverter AC reduce power by slowing down once cooling is achieved, hence they save both on continuous power as well as on the start/stop cycle.

It appears that the Power Bills differential increase would be in the range of 150-200 rupees a month if going for a 3 star AC as against a 5 star.(I could be wrong, just assuming from the above info and what the salesman told me)

And the rate difference between a 3* and 5* ranges anywhere from 2500/- to 6000/- based on the brand you choose or may be more if I am not wrong.

So logically speaking in Pune where heat is extreme for just 3 months(considering usage for only 8-9 hours) and the remaining months you really do not require an AC, it makes much more sence to go for a 3* AC if you really do not care about the fancy features that come along with the 5* AC to justify their price increase other then a minor power savings they offer. Correct me if I am wrong?

Heck its not that straight is it to make a correct decision to chose an appropriate AC.

I saw customers in showrooms who just buy what the salesman recommends. And the salesman, to my questions were really upset to reply. Seems they dont like customers who think before buying.

Last edited by tush : 21st March 2011 at 16:50.
Old 21st March 2011, 18:58   #1568
Senior - BHPian

As per the new prices of O General, the MRP of the AMG13G model is Rs. 23990. Waiting for the installation now. And it comes with R22 only.

Last edited by pjbiju : 21st March 2011 at 19:00.
Old 21st March 2011, 20:53   #1569
BHPian

@Mr Bean - i am considering on getting the Cube Ac. Please do share your experience.
Old 21st March 2011, 22:28   #1570
BHPian

I have been doing my research to buy a 1.5T 3-Star Split for home. I have been offered Daikin FTE50 for Rs27,990 (inclusive of stabilizer and installation).

Samsung 183UGC(1.5T 3-Star) for Rs 27,500 (Incl of Installation + 10ft copper wiring). This is a built in stabilizer model.

I need advise from you folks on which to choose. I am aware Daikin is far superior than samsung. My usage is only during summer and not more than 8 hrs per day.
Old 22nd March 2011, 09:13   #1571
BANNED

@sanjayk; Go for the daikin any day. It is the difference between a Merc and a Ford.
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:39   #1572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@sanjayk; Go for the daikin any day. It is the difference between a Merc and a Ford.
Thanks sir, I value your advise. I will book it today.
Old 22nd March 2011, 14:21   #1573
BHPian

Re: Panasonic Cube AC performance ?

Hello Mr.Bean,

Would you please share your experience with the Panasonic Cube AC.
Eg: How fast does it cool/ Noise levels/ Humidty control/ if only 2 fan speeds are sufficient etc.
I am planning to buy it this week. Would appreciate you first hand feedback.

Regards,
Old 22nd March 2011, 16:00   #1574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotty91 View Post
Hello Mr.Bean,

Would you please share your experience with the Panasonic Cube AC.
Eg: How fast does it cool/ Noise levels/ Humidty control/ if only 2 fan speeds are sufficient etc.
I am planning to buy it this week. Would appreciate you first hand feedback.

Regards,
Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
@Mr Bean - i am considering on getting the Cube Ac. Please do share your experience.
Hello,

I got the AC installed yesterday, I would need some time to give you a concrete feedback. I will post some pictures today, the AC is very compact & I liked the way it looked.

This can also be installed at the window level.

The AC did not run for most of the night due to low voltage:-).
Old 22nd March 2011, 18:43   #1575
Senior - BHPian

What does the Test Run button on the AC remote do? The manual says not to use it except for after the installation. What does it test?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks