Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2023, 08:46   #7246
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshGtR View Post
Now for refilling I will have to pay over 9000 for two ACs if I do it from company or 5000 if done privately from that technician.
Check Urban company if they service your area. Their gas recharge costs are cheapest.

https://www.urbancompany.com/rate-ca...service_repair
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 14:31   #7247
Senior - BHPian

In general the ODU stores the gas. The procedure is very simple. Just run the ODU while the return line valve is closed. Once the gas is fully evacated from the IDU and pipes just close the inlet valve. There is no way that the gas escaped during the process due to power failure. The technitian is just taking you for a ride.

As sugested, first raise a formal complaint with LG stating the facts along with the name of the engineer who did it. The least that can happen is that the engineer will be taken to task. The best is that they will fill the gas.

Team BHPains please take note of the above while shifting the AC.
Aroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 21:35   #7248
BHPian

Hi all,

I have a Daikin 1.5 Ton Inverter 5-star ac that I purchased in March 2021. All was well until December 2022, when the cooling suddenly stopped. I have requested a water service to solve it, but it did not. The technician while checking for leaks has found one in the inside unit. He determined a leak by putting his fingers & feeling for them, he could not find any leaks on the outdoor unit, which he checked by using soap water & a sponge. When I enquired about the reason behind these frequent gas leaks, the technician said it was due to the Musi River (where industrial waste is dumped) which is a km away from my apartment. As it was the month of December, I took no further action thinking I would take care of this in summer.

Today, I requested the quote for a repair & he said the indoor evaporator coil must be replaced, along with gas refill, blue fin spray, outside bolts, etc & gave a ₹13,770 quote. Honestly, I was willing to be okay with this considering I faced gas leak issues in my previous two ACs (LG & Samsung) & they became a money pit as the technicians just used to fill gas but never bothered to find leaks or think otherwise.

The issue now is, I checked if post repair there is any warranty. He said NO. But he assures us nothing will go bad as the repair will be done perfectly. This is my 2nd AC since 2019. Both of them started leaking gas within 1.5 years of usage.

Now I am clueless on how to proceed with this issue. As repairing it would mean I am taking a big risk. Also, I will be shifting to a new flat within 3 months. And I am thinking of the following course of action:

Scrap this AC for whatever 4-5k (as I am told there is no resale for ACs) & buy a Croma 1 ton AC for 25k for the time being & when I shift to the new place put the Croma AC in the 2nd bedroom & buy myself another brand-new AC.

Any suggestions are deeply appreciated.

Thank you
Neo
neo_narender is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 21:51   #7249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_narender View Post
Hi all,
Thank you
Neo
My suggestion is, if it is out of warranty, scrap it. Realize whatever value you can from it, pay the difference to buy and install a 3 star,window, non inverter ac. If R22 units are still available in your city, buy that. And live hapily for at least the next 7-8 years. Split Acs, especially inverter ones, are a pain.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 22:41   #7250
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thank you
Neo
If you do decide to get a new AC, get a 5 year maintenance package cum warranty as well. Generally, company offers only 1 year warranty but some brands or retail outlets offers extended warranty which covers any expenditure for 5 years. We always get this package when buying a new AC. Reliance Digital offers suck a package. For the 1st year, the AC shall be under company warranty and post that, Reliance Digital shall cover any expenditures. You also have the option of calling them once an year for free service. Our apartment is barely 50m away from a 'naala(sewage)' and we face this leakage problem atleast once every year irrespective of the brand. Reliance service has been quite good so far. The peace of mind is unmatched.

We spent around 12k for this package for our 1.5 ton Window AC back in 2021.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 01:44   #7251
Distinguished - BHPian

If it does that to our ACs, just think what it is doing to our lungs and bodies!

Yes, I too live not far from a source of rather nasty pollution. I have been lucky with the ACs for quite a while, though, and I have had no leaks with our three Mitsubishi split units.

If environmental corrosion is the problem, what is any better with a window unit? It is still out there in the bad air, sucking it through its coils.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 03:02   #7252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
My suggestion is, if it is out of warranty, scrap it.
I am also thinking this as a wise decision, will ask around for R22 refrigerant ACs, I had asked around in 2021 with no luck though. Every shopkeeper had told that “the government had banned those refrigerant ACs claiming it produces more pollution & aids in depleting ozone layer.“

I just took their word for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
If you do decide to get a new AC, get a 5 year maintenance package cum warranty as well.
I had inquired for an AMC package from Daikin, but they & the website mentioned that Evaporator coil (indoor/outdoor) are not included.

Don’t know if this thing holds true with Reliance/Croma provided warranty package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If it does that to our ACs, just think what it is doing to our lungs and bodies!
Sad part of the reality!

Neo
Old 26th February 2023, 12:56   #7253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

I have a Daikin 1.5 Ton Inverter 5-star ac that I purchased in March 2021. All was well until December 2022, when the cooling suddenly stopped.

Scrap this AC for whatever 4-5k (as I am told there is no resale for ACs) & buy a Croma 1 ton AC for 25k for the time being & when I shift to the new place put the Croma AC in the 2nd bedroom & buy myself another brand-new AC.

Thank you
Neo
Scrap the AC and then buy one that comes with at least 5 years extended warranty. I scrapped my Daikin after 4 years as the MB failed twice and I paid 12K the first time but scrapped it when it failed again as the price had gone up to 25K. In contrast the LG MB is only 6k.

I switched to LG AC's simply because the 5 years ecxtended warranty covers every thing (except a few plastic parts) - Service, Labour, Parts, Gas . That includes the pipes, heat exchangers and MB. Just bought a Hot and Cold one for winter.

After LG started their extended warranty, other manufacturers are slowly catching up. So if you want other brand go ahead, but check the scope of extended warranty they offer.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 15:55   #7254
BHPian

Quote:

I live near the sea and I had the same problem with a Samsung 1 ton 5 star inverter that had turned into a money pit.

Replaced it with a Voltas 1.5 ton non inverter. They come with a 5 year comprehensive warranty at a very nominal extra charge which is to be purchased from Voltas directly. Please note that the additional warranty charges are considerably lower for units purchased offline.

The increase in electricity bills was negligible.
Old 27th February 2023, 12:57   #7255
BHPian

Quote:
Don’t know if this thing holds true with Reliance/Croma provided warranty package.
I had inquired in Croma about their extended warranty packs, they said it is just service only & all parts (like evaporator coils) are chargeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Scrap the AC and then buy one that comes with at least 5 years extended warranty. I scrapped my Daikin after 4 years as the MB failed twice and I paid 12K the first time but scrapped it when it failed again as the price had gone up to 25K. In contrast the LG MB is only 6k.

I switched to LG AC's simply because the 5 years ecxtended warranty covers every thing (except a few plastic parts) - Service, Labour, Parts, Gas . That includes the pipes, heat exchangers and MB. Just bought a Hot and Cold one for winter.

After LG started their extended warranty, other manufacturers are slowly catching up. So if you want other brand go ahead, but check the scope of extended warranty they offer..
Yes, the spare parts cost of Daikin is very high compared to others. I will check the LG AC this weekend & get that 5-year extended warranty. With some luck I hope I solve this AC issue that has been plaguing me for almost a decade now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedateGuy View Post
I live near the sea and I had the same problem with a Samsung 1 ton 5 star inverter that had turned into a money pit.
I checked in Croma, they said they do not cover the cost of parts in the extended warranty, also I had checked Daikin's own AMC plan, they had some exclusions listed, in which evaporator coil was one of them. Either way I will check it out too.

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions.

Neo
Old 28th February 2023, 05:27   #7256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is the duration of standard factory or company warranty for the unit?

If the elements in the area were the real reason, it should have taken out the outdoor unit first. Do reach out to someone directly at Daikin and tell them about your situation. A Daikin isn't some cheap AC. They are among the best in the world. Issues of this kind so early into owning the aircon unit is not acceptable.

I would ask for a revision of the quotation without that blue fin spray and to include a post repair warranty. God knows what kind of toxic chemical that is. You don't want to be breathing any of that. How can someone quote Rs. 13,000 and not provide any warranty! Inform the Technician that you are willing to consider repair if there is warranty in writing.

If the Indoor Unit coil is being replaced (Not repaired), then you might as well give it a go. Its just a leak in the system. The decision is yours to scrap, however, I'd consider repair as the rest of the unit is in perfect working order.
Old 28th February 2023, 10:44   #7257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
What is the duration of standard factory or company warranty for the unit?

If the elements in the area were the real reason, it should have taken out the outdoor unit first. Do reach out to someone directly at Daikin and tell them about your situation. A Daikin isn't some cheap AC. They are among the best in the world. Issues of this kind so early into owning the aircon unit is not acceptable.

If the Indoor Unit coil is being replaced (Not repaired), then you might as well give it a go. Its just a leak in the system. The decision is yours to scrap, however, I'd consider repair as the rest of the unit is in perfect working order.
Daikin really gives no warranty (15 days from service provider only). That is why I got rid of Daikin after the MB failed second time.

Here is the LG Plan

Go to the site and then choose AMC and then within 30 days
Then scroll down to AC

The home / office air-conditioner thread-lg.jpg

15. AMC includes two maintenance services for Air-conditioner per year. Customer shall be required lodge a request at LG call Centre to avail maintenance services. Jet Pump service shall be on chargeable basis, if requested by customer.
16. The AMC shall cover the following parts under the AMC contract.
HA/AC Products: Compressor, Thermostat, Relay, OLP, Fan Motors, Timers, PCB, Heaters, Air dampers, Ice maker, temperature sensors, Evaporators, Condensers, Refrigerant charging, Driers, Capillary, Blowers, Fan Blade, Control box, Magnetron, Electrical switches, transformers (internal), Diodes, Capacitors, Wire harness, Wash & Spin motors, Gear box, Clutch Assy., Drum, Inner tub, Bellows, bearing & lip seal, Drain motor, Pump, Electrical valves, Buzzer, Suspension, Key Membrane, Remote-PCB.
Aroy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 10:07   #7258
BHPian

Can anyone suggest a tough long lasting AC ( window or split )? My 20+ year old national AC is not holding gas anymore and I believe is finally dead/ too much to repair. I need a new AC which can be bullet proof like this one, or at least have a warranty which can take care of it if it does go bad. A Samsung did not even last a few years here, because of corrosion but the old National survived. Was thinking of getting an LG for their warranty, any other suggestions? It seems quite complex though with the dual inverters and all. Just want to avoid R22 ones, no interest in promoting skin cancer.

Last edited by Doge : 1st March 2023 at 10:12.
Old 1st March 2023, 11:17   #7259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Hi Sandeep,

This was the exact reaction from me with lots of anger.
I did ask for a warranty a lot of times, but they plainly refused. This is the technician from Daikin themselves. Actually, this was the technician who had suggested I take AMC post replacement of Evaporator coil. At first, he said the evaporator coil would be covered under AMC. But when I asked for a document that says the same & he spoke to his supervisor & said Evaporator Coil is not covered under AMC. Had it been covered under AMC; I would have definitely considered the repair instead of scrapping the whole thing. But considering it gets no warranty post repair, it is a huge risk & will become a money pit.

Coming to the reason of the leakage, it's not the first time I am hearing that The Musi River (a river where industrial waste is dumped & God knows what else) is the cause, which is less than half a km away from my apartment. Sometimes I feel the technicians just throw in such reasons & get away with charging huge bills for repairs. As I never had a good experience with any of the AC technicians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Here is the LG Plan

Go to the site and then choose AMC and then within 30 days
Then scroll down to AC

15. AMC includes two maintenance services for Air-conditioner per year. Customer shall be required lodge a request at LG call Centre to avail maintenance services. Jet Pump service shall be on chargeable basis, if requested by customer.
16. The AMC shall cover the following parts under the AMC contract.
HA/AC Products: Compressor, Thermostat, Relay, OLP, Fan Motors, Timers, PCB, Heaters, Air dampers, Ice maker, temperature sensors, Evaporators, Condensers, Refrigerant charging, Driers, Capillary, Blowers, Fan Blade, Control box, Magnetron, Electrical switches, transformers (internal), Diodes, Capacitors, Wire harness, Wash & Spin motors, Gear box, Clutch Assy., Drum, Inner tub, Bellows, bearing & lip seal, Drain motor, Pump, Electrical valves, Buzzer, Suspension, Key Membrane, Remote-PCB.
Hi Aroy,

I think you are the one who wrote the following statement somewhere on this forum that says, I'd go with an average product with the best service than a great product with average/poor service. Holds so true in this Daikin vs LG scenario itself.

Thank you for the details on LG AMC, appreciate it.

Neo

Last edited by neo_narender : 1st March 2023 at 11:22.
Old 2nd March 2023, 05:21   #7260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did ask for a warranty a lot of times, but they plainly refused. But when I asked for a document that says the same & he spoke to his supervisor & said Evaporator Coil is not covered under AMC.
Did you mean to say that they refused warranty while the unit was still under warranty, or, are you referring to the post warranty repair, where the unit is under AMC warranty (..and they refused to cover the part)? Does it state on the AMC terms that the coil isn't covered (...as in have you read the document)? If Yes, then there isn't a whole lot you can do.

The point I am trying to drive is, this is a Rs. 13,000 repair job versus spending Rs. 60,000 on a new aircon unit. There is no guarantee that the new aircon unit you buy isn't going to fail. That is down to luck.

I would take a second opinion and a quote from another Aircon technician (not from Daikin) and see what they can offer. Doesn't matter that you are overriding the AMC terms. Who cares if they are not going to cover something as basic and essential as an evaporator coil. The only reason to stick to Daikin is they will get you a legit or original new evaporator coil versus a third party technician who may suggest welding of the coil unit.

In regard to the close proximity to what sounds like a toxic river. I used to work for a Animation Studio in Bombay where we had something similar. All our computer servers would develop rust on their circuit boards very early into their life and eventually fry the unit. We were seeing a high failure rate on equipment that was running reliably at other locations and countries. It was narrowed down to the quality of air and filtration capabilities of the aircon unit. We swapped filters to something different and way more expensive. I forget what it was called. It solved the issue.

I suggest trying to reach someone higher up working at Daikin. Not the Technician, even if its their own. No harm in asking if this is repair cost they are willing to split with you or even cover 100%, as the unit is not so old.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks