Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2007, 16:57   #1126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Ok, I am back in the hunt. N73 is a great phone, but it too big for me, I am sick of carrying the phone in my hand all the time. I want something really small that can fit into jeans pocket.

I want a really small clam shell phone with MP3 player, MP3 ringtone, EDGE, HTML browsing. None of these items are negotiable. So, please don't suggest bar or slide phones, I already made one mistake, not again. I need a phone to fit my style, and not something that alters my style.
Here you go
Device Specifications
This lists the phones with Symbian OS Series 60.
Which means that more often than not you will have all the features you need.
So just click on the one you like and then check the full feature list.
Also when you go searching for features the Forum Nokia - resources for mobile application developers site has detailed lists.
As for slider phones, why not, I carry my slider phones in my jeans pocket(6265 CDMA) and the 2 piece plastic cover ensures that no scratches from keys etc.,
If the phone was a little less bulky it would have helped, but then I use CDMA and beggers cant be choosers
So phones which you may like
Device Details -- Nokia N93i
Device Details -- Nokia E65
Device Details -- Nokia N76

Whatever you do, do not get a series 40 phone, there is nothing you can do with a series 40. I got one because of "beggars can't be choosers" issue.
Old 14th February 2007, 18:02   #1127
Senior - BHPian

Samurai, if you are not the one that don't hate Microsoft, have a look at MS Windows Mobile Smartphone edition (Not the Pocket PC phone edition). The former was designed to be a phone with PDA features while the later was designed to be a PDA with phone features.

These will have all the funtions you want and much more. The number of 3rd party softwares are enormous.

You can get Imate & O2 models in India but there are few more if you can get from abroad.
Imate: Club i-mate
O2: O2

My fav was an old Motorola smart phone which was small, has solid looks and flip phone.

Browsing HTML on any phone may not be an issue with Opera mini which is free. www.operamini.com

Last edited by satish_appasani : 14th February 2007 at 18:14.
Old 14th February 2007, 19:39   #1128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Have you checked out Nokia 6131?
Wow! How did I miss this thing before. Looks very promising, except for poor battery life. Thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
As for slider phones, why not, I carry my slider phones in my jeans pocket(6265 CDMA) and the 2 piece plastic cover ensures that no scratches from keys etc.,
You do know my phones need to withstand more than just a scratch or two. The reason why I will stick to clam shell is this, I want a phone that has no screen or button exposed or vulnerable. Small external display is fine. It should withstand my son jumping on my lap (and on the phone) while the phone is in the pocket. I can't have the large display cracking or buttons getting pressed, etc. As I said, I don't want the phone to alter my life style. My previous Samsung clam shell phones fit my need perfectly. But their software/features sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Whatever you do, do not get a series 40 phone, there is nothing you can do with a series 40.
Why, what's wrong with S40? I don't intend to write programs for my mobile. I am OK with non-smart phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
Samurai, if you are not the one that don't hate Microsoft, have a look at MS Windows Mobile Smartphone edition (Not the Pocket PC phone edition). You can get Imate & O2 models in India but there are few more if you can get from abroad.
Imate: Club i-mate
O2: O2
I don't hate Microsoft, but you are suggesting giant size phones which totally go against my need.
Old 14th February 2007, 20:17   #1129
Senior - BHPian

I had the earlier version of Nokia 6131, the 6101 and it sucked big time. Please see post # 1111. This is phone i mentioned as the worst phone. Nokia are still not there in flip phones.

I did not mention the big size Windows mobile Pocket PC phone edition phones but the Windows Smart phones. Following are the examples i was talking about...

Here is more about Windows Smart phones
Windows Mobile Smartphone Help and How Tos (Microsoft Windows Mobile, Windows CE, Mobile Computing, Windows Mobile devices)

Last edited by satish_appasani : 14th February 2007 at 20:21.
Old 14th February 2007, 21:59   #1130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
I had the earlier version of Nokia 6131, the 6101 and it sucked big time. Please see post # 1111. This is phone i mentioned as the worst phone. Nokia are still not there in flip phones.
Nokia 6131 has very good reviews at GSM Arena.

Nokia 6131 review: Highly addictive - GSMArena.com

But I have read very bad reviews on I-Mate smartflip from many places.
Old 14th February 2007, 22:06   #1131
Team-BHP Support

Samurai, the Nokia 6131 is a S40 UI phone. Are you looking for S60 or s40 will do.

There are a few unpcomin phones you could wait for...

Nokia N75 - Full phone specifications

Nokia 6290 - Full phone specifications
Old 14th February 2007, 23:44   #1132
Team-BHP Support

I don't know anything about s40, but I am not really gung-ho on smartphone either. Why is everybody warning me about S40, what's wrong with it?
Old 15th February 2007, 01:03   #1133
Team-BHP Support

Well actually supposedly nothings wrong.
But S40 is a lousy OS. Very very lousy. So you may have small niggling problems like
1. Nokia PC suite may not connect, not a stopper, but a nuisance
2. Data cable connectivity is not upto the mark
3. You are stuck with only nokia software.
You wanted a good music playing phone, right. With S40 you hardly get any software's etc., which make listening to music much easier and also add playlist support etc., etc.,
Moreover you are restricted.
Get a good S60 phone, and you can keep adding software's and features as you need, update firmware etc., etc.,
With s40 if you need something new you will need to buy a new phone.
For example when a lot of people want something in a S60 phone, which is not there in an older model but there in a newer one, they just do it in software.
Case in point, Nokia N73 music edition and N73, same phones, different software, but search the web and you will get thousands of guides which tell you how to convert your N73 into N73 music edition.
S60 phones have lots of flip open models.

Another advice, if you want phones which need to survive hard falls etc., nokia is a best bet. I have dropped my slider one hard enough to crack the plastic cover, but the phone is still working great.
Nokia phones are tougher than most others.

Last edited by Samurai : 15th February 2007 at 06:32. Reason: typo!
Old 15th February 2007, 06:47   #1134
Team-BHP Support

Looks like I'll have to wait a few months.
Old 15th February 2007, 09:46   #1135
BHPian

I had this confusion for many months as what mobile phone to buy until my 6310i broke and I had to buy in hurry. wanted to get no/less frill phone in which I can manage my contacts, calendar and todo from my PC. Ofcource I did not wanted very expensive ones, (10K max), considered some windows smart phones from i-mate and Motorolla ( mpxw220?) though I am not a fan of windows. did not wanted to try with linux though.

Finally I had made up my mind for Nokia E50. Got a Black one for Rs 10100 from Priority center in Bangalore.

Phone is good, except for not having recurring alarm.
Old 15th February 2007, 10:39   #1136
aZa
Senior - BHPian

chanapli : E50 is a Symbian you can easily add a "HANDY CLOCK" application which has recurring alarm and other things.
Old 15th February 2007, 10:53   #1137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
chanapli : E50 is a Symbian you can easily add a "HANDY CLOCK" application which has recurring alarm and other things.
Great! But where to download and install please...
Old 15th February 2007, 11:12   #1138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapli View Post
Great! But where to download and install please...
check page no 74 i have given a link
Old 18th February 2007, 10:39   #1139
BHPian

Samurai,

If you are not hell bent on symbian, check out the sony ericsson z710i.
When I look at your original post; lokks like this one satisfies your demands.
No symbian. Just perfect for your requirements.

AB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Looks like I'll have to wait a few months.
Old 18th February 2007, 12:30   #1140
Senior - BHPian

Instead of handy clock i use calendar MEMO for it. Works well and i have schedule alarm for next 1 year
Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks