Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2007, 22:57   #1081
Senior - BHPian

Never ever buy a nokia smartphone as soon as its launched because it will hang... After one or two software updates the phone rarely hangs ...
I have an n91 with a 4gb hardrive and it hardly hangs...

And nokia phones are way more sturdy than sony ericsson or for that matter any other brand...
I have dropped my phones so many times i cant even remember... It has a hard drive and not flash memory , and as most of you know hard drives are way more delicate than flash memory .. it still works .. i am sure no sony ericsson would last the way i use the phone ...
Old 10th February 2007, 10:17   #1082
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
I meant how do you find different codes for the same phone.
just search google.
Old 10th February 2007, 10:27   #1083
Team-BHP Support

Has anyone here used the Motorola A1200 aka the Ming??? I really like what I read, and the price seems real reasonable, however would like to hear some first hand experiences with it.

Old 10th February 2007, 23:05   #1084
BHPian

New phone for my Dad

Need some suggestions for My Dad....he needs a new phone, one that can run business applications..but here's the catch..It CANNOT have a camera...

he used the Nokia comunicator (9310i)?? till some time ago until an ..errrm....'unfortunate incident' rendered it a write off..

He doesn't mind buying another one but would like some other options as well..

The only phones I could think off were NOkia E60, 61, 62

The SE M600, 608 and ...uhh that seems to be it

Has anyone used these phones?? Please give me some feedback..

Also, There have got to be some more phones available with these specifications..right? Can someone suggest something else?

BTW, he uses a hutch connection, so i dont know if a Blackberry makes sense? Does Hutch provide blackberry service in Mumbai??

Thanks
Suhail

Last edited by swale84 : 10th February 2007 at 23:09.
Old 10th February 2007, 23:18   #1085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Oh come ON! If it's so smart, why does it hang?

Life is like that sam ,everything hangs,car ,bike ,phone ,computer,boss,work;even life ...buy the one which hangs less !
Old 10th February 2007, 23:40   #1086
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
BTW, he uses a hutch connection, so i dont know if a Blackberry makes sense? Does Hutch provide blackberry service in Mumbai??
l
A blackberry makes sense only if he needs to answer urgent emails on the fly, everyday. Or else, well, it's a sturdy phone with OK features, not worth the price you pay

Hutch (NOW) does provide an EDGE based BB service in mumbai. The catch is that you must buy the unit from them. Also Airtel has a contract with RIM (the guys that make BB, not reliance lol) to keep the Pearl Exclusive for a while.
That means, no pearl, but the other models can be bought from between 15K to 30K from Hutch.
Old 11th February 2007, 00:15   #1087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
A blackberry makes sense only if he needs to answer urgent emails on the fly, everyday.
No, he doesn't........

Just that there isn't much choice with his requirement of no camera, theres one BB model (the 7130g or 7310 g) that doesnt have one, so I thought he could consider it

Suhail

Last edited by swale84 : 11th February 2007 at 00:17.
Old 11th February 2007, 07:38   #1088
Senior - BHPian

Any long term users of the n80 ?

Was totally smitten with the list of features, but there are so many scary reviews on the web about its horrid battery life, unstable firmware and general slowness, that I've started considering living with the n70, or even a 6233 for a while before wifi phones become more common. Don't care about the camera too much (tho having one is handy) - but edge and 3G (for whenever its out) are important considerations.

Speaking of which - how crappy is s40 to live with ? Really nothing you can install on the phone apps wise ? And not even a hack out there to make reading word/pdf docs and spreadsheets possible in at least a half baked way ?

Right now the n70 seems the top choice, tho would rather pay as little as possible for an 'interim' phone in case wifi phones become common. No SEs seem to match the price-feature points, at least for my needs (connectivity, customisability more imp than music, cam)
Old 11th February 2007, 09:33   #1089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Has anyone here used the Motorola A1200 aka the Ming??? I really like what I read, and the price seems real reasonable, however would like to hear some first hand experiences with it.

One of the best phones I have ever seen. It was the best-seller in our store.
WE used to get it for $320 cad. Dont pay anything more.

Runs of linux OS with monta vista kernel
supports stereo bluetooth audio
available in 3 colous black, white and red
2mp camera is just about ok. supports macro mode.
many chinese programs which will bug you
small and handy design factor. tough to open the plastic flap.
Battery life is good for the phone.

A new version is out though. the ROKR E6/E790. Runs on the same OS but is much slimmer. A series is usually for business while Eseries is usually music and play. Most probably A1200 doesnt have a 3d gpu which E-series has.

You will probably find tons of software and hacks for the phone at Welcome to the Frontpage . LInux is free and open-end so you can mod the hell outta the phone.
Old 11th February 2007, 09:44   #1090
Team-BHP Support

Devarshi, what is your take on the battery of this phone? All Motorola's i've used had poor battery life.
Old 11th February 2007, 09:48   #1091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
Need some suggestions for My Dad....he needs a new phone, one that can run business applications..but here's the catch..It CANNOT have a camera...

he used the Nokia comunicator (9310i)?? till some time ago until an ..errrm....'unfortunate incident' rendered it a write off..

He doesn't mind buying another one but would like some other options as well..

The only phones I could think off were NOkia E60, 61, 62

The SE M600, 608 and ...uhh that seems to be it

Has anyone used these phones?? Please give me some feedback..

Also, There have got to be some more phones available with these specifications..right? Can someone suggest something else?

Thanks
Suhail
SE M600i is a good phone..I use it
Old 11th February 2007, 10:35   #1092
aZa
Senior - BHPian

ZENX : yep N80 has a lot of bad reviews , someone i know was selling a few months old N80 for 8K!!!

Swale84 : Why not look at the E60/61, i had used one at the dealer and the widescreen/landscape makes surfing the net amazing. Hutch also offers HUTCHMAIL ? or you could just get hold of HUTCHACCESS and use pop3/imap with it. Blackberry connect s/w is easily available from nokia site for E-series phone incase u really wanna go for email.
Old 11th February 2007, 16:22   #1093
Senior - BHPian

Anyone here having a 1st hand experience of the MotoROKr ?
Old 11th February 2007, 16:36   #1094
BHPian

Thanks AZA, Kunal.

Will look at these phones with my Dad next time I go to Mumbai.

Any idea about the pricing?
Old 11th February 2007, 21:53   #1095
Senior - BHPian

So Vodafone it is who gets Hutch for $19.3 billion. Now how is this going to affect us ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks