Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2007, 16:45   #1066
Distinguished - BHPian

I would also like to add two more things about the so called "Music Edition" Nokia.

The sound quality is awful. Both of the onboard speaker and the sound from the headphones. There is too much shrill screechy treble. I am sure there must be some eq correction to reduce the treble (terrible), but in flat, it was awful.

We were able to tone it down and create something of it by using AKG headphones, but it was still no good.

The sony ericsson has better quality sound, both from the onboard speaker and from the headphones, though the Nokia seems louder.
Old 8th February 2007, 16:53   #1067
BANNED

Just started using the new Moto RIZR Z3. My first non-Nokia in a long time.

Very good value for money. Looks great, good build quality and decent features. 2 MP camera with flash is decent. Music and video quality is also pretty good compared to other similar phones. It also pairs up extremely well with the Motorola Bluetooth Headset I bought along with it.

I'm pretty happy so far.
Old 8th February 2007, 20:23   #1068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
After a month of struggling with it, she ( a die-hard Nokia fan) has requested me to change the phone and buy her a SE790i. Honestly, this feels awful, as the money I paid for the phone didn't hang did it?

This has more or less become a built-in feature for Nokia's nowadays Sam (and I too an a die-hard Nokia fan) and I suffer from it on both my phones. The last, good Nokia was the 6310i.

Waise did you try to get the software upgraded on the N73?
Old 8th February 2007, 20:52   #1069
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Waise did you try to get the software upgraded on the N73?
Try explaining to your gf that a brand new, lastest model mobile phone, officially bought, needs to to "software upgraded"

I cannot justify it to myself. If it's a new phone. A NEW model, (I understand if it's an older model and has been in the box for a few months, while a new firmware was released)
but a NEW model, needs to have it's software/firmware upgraded? To what?

And when you go back to the store, you realise that "Hanging and freezing" is something Nokia current users are acccepting as a part of life. People laugh and say, "my phone hangs too, but the features are nice."
"Hey wait, don't do this this this, my phone willhang"

Hello - we are talking of products that cost more than 20 thousand rupees!!! They should work!! A glitch is acceptable, but not all the time.

Nokia just lost another customer for life (in my gf, I'm not one anyways). Though I must add, the 1110 is a great phone!!
Old 8th February 2007, 21:47   #1070
Senior - BHPian

There are bound to be problems when you buy a smartphone that runs an almost brand new software. None of the sony ericsson "smart" phones comes for as cheap as Nokia does.
For non-smart nokia phone consider Nokia 6233, its got a 2 Megapix camera, Stereo MP3 player with equilizers, FM Radio, 3G, HSCSD, Bluetooth, Infra-red, VGA resolution video recording at 15 fps, a QVGA resolution color screen, expandable memory upto 2 gb's, GPRS, EDGE all for 11k's with bill... Can any SE beat that.
Old 8th February 2007, 21:59   #1071
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And when you go back to the store, you realise that "Hanging and freezing" is something Nokia current users are acccepting as a part of life. People laugh and say, "my phone hangs too, but the features are nice."
"Hey wait, don't do this this this, my phone willhang"
This is so bloody true !!!!
Old 8th February 2007, 23:32   #1072
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh come ON! If it's so smart, why does it hang?

And if SE "Smart" phones are expensive... and yet people buy them, (because they work), I just have one question.

Where's Nokia's smart phone (at ANY price) that works?
Let them come out with a 50K phone that works well. People will buy it, wont they?
What does Nokia have in terms of reliable expensive phones? The 9 series communicators??? (hahahaha.. sorry, wiping eyes so I can see the screen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
There are bound to be problems when you buy a smartphone that runs an almost brand new software.
Oh, so did I purchase the "Beta Version" of the N73ME? I wasn't told that it may not work. If Nokia wants to try out their software on poor souls who pay a quarter of a lakh to be part of their research team, well, that's unfair isn't it?
When a company says - Hey, here's a 3 megapixel camera with a carl zeiss lens, well, you want to be able to take pictures at a nice moment without saying "One sec, I just need to pull out my battery. Wait haan, just hold that priceless moment for 10 more minutes while my smart phone shows me two hands trying to reach each other, thanks"

Disclaimer: I do not know anything about telecommunication equipment, so my opinion doesnt count. I do not frequent mobile phone forums etc. so basically I'm a complete layman..

However to quote someone else who does (He's here and will probably post something soon, anyone who knows who this is gets a badly designed Nokia handsfree, free) - "Nokia Sucks big time at making anything other than basic, cheap phones."

Sorry, if I sound harsh, I mean no offense, I'm a little upset. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 8th February 2007 at 23:39.
Old 8th February 2007, 23:55   #1073
BHPian

Sam uncle these are some very important set of comments you have put up!!.. I need to get this phone for a close friend and since I am a huge nokia fan, I was looking at the n73 ME coz its the only phone in the N series thats really attracted me (the only other is the 8 gb one which im sure is way out of my financial horizons although I haven't bothered to check).
My CTQs are 3.2 mp cam/good looks and a good memory although I could go ahead and upgrade it. I am also more or less of a layman wen it comes to terms like firmware and OSs and all of that.
So what do you gentlemen suggest? SE 790i is the best bet out there? Whats the price like?
The challenge though, would be convincing my lady. She too, unfortunately, is a nokia person.
Old 9th February 2007, 00:11   #1074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh come ON! If it's so smart, why does it hang?

And if SE "Smart" phones are expensive... and yet people buy them, (because they work), I just have one question.

Where's Nokia's smart phone (at ANY price) that works? Let them come out with a 50K phone that works well. People will buy it, wont they?
What does Nokia have in terms of reliable expensive phones? The 9 series communicators??? (hahahaha.. sorry, wiping eyes so I can see the screen)

Oh, so did I purchase the "Beta Version" of the N73ME? I wasn't told that it may not work. If Nokia wants to try out their software on poor souls who pay a quarter of a lakh to be part of their research team, well, that's unfair isn't it?
When a company says - Hey, here's a 3 megapixel camera with a carl zeiss lens, well, you want to be able to take pictures at a nice moment without saying "One sec, I just need to pull out my battery. Wait haan, just hold that priceless moment for 10 more minutes while my smart phone shows me two hands trying to reach each other, thanks"

Disclaimer: I do not know anything about telecommunication equipment, so my opinion doesnt count. I do not frequent mobile phone forums etc. so basically I'm a complete layman..

However to quote someone else who does (He's here and will probably post something soon, anyone who knows who this is gets a badly designed Nokia handsfree, free) - "Nokia Sucks big time at making anything other than basic, cheap phones."

Sorry, if I sound harsh, I mean no offense, I'm a little upset. Thanks for listening.
Dont know abt the N-series but i have used older symbian nokia phones.... even they hung but it was very rare and would happen when you install and uninstall lotsa softwares just to check them out.
I am sure even the SE phones hang but you don't get to hear abt them coz not many have them.... i am no Nokia fan but got a feeling that u were being a little too harsh. Did u tried upgrading your phone's software to the latest version? If the hanging problem was so severe then i think you should have dumped that phone at nokia care and asked them to correct it. A lot of my friends use the N series phones, but i have not yet seem them complaining about this.
By the way i use a sony ericsson K700i and can say nokia was anyday better. Dont need a fancy phone after i bought my 30 GB iPOD.
Old 9th February 2007, 00:17   #1075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's Steeroid!! Now can I have the handsfree

Quote:
It's Ok Sam I've been equally frustated at times with Nokia. But they refuse to do anything about it.
Old 9th February 2007, 00:27   #1076
Team-BHP Support

I have a N73 since Sept06, and it has hung only once, that too when I did too much clicking with the camera. Just normal restart fixed it, no need to remove battery.

I am very happy with the N73 software (except for the clock function), but not comfortable with the bulky bar. I am bugged enough to start looking again, my wife might adopt the N73 for it's music abilities.

So I was looking at Samsung E870 reviews at GSM Arena and I saw this comment:
Quote:
hy! i've just got my samsung e870 and i'm very pleased. but i have a question: do i have to format the battery? how can i upgrade my soft?
Nice one though, my kind of phone...
Old 9th February 2007, 13:54   #1077
Senior - BHPian

Hey, whats that with the battery being formatted ?

BTW, here is what i think about the top 3 mobile phone companies

1. Motorola - Brings out the best looking & most stylish phones (By a huge margin), bad in features, operations & performance.
2. Nokia - Best in features, performance, operations, but really sad, odd looks. Really good battery (No formatting reqd, i guess)
3. SE - is the meeting point of looks as well as features & performance.

I prefer Sony Ericcson, i have w550i & i am pretty satisfied with it. (a little bulky)
Old 9th February 2007, 14:36   #1078
Team-BHP Support

format the battery. haha.. that person dosent know what hes talking about.
Old 9th February 2007, 15:12   #1079
BHPian

I got My nokia 6310i brand new about 4-5 months back, no problems as such, it took me atleast 6 months to search for the new one. One of my friend took me to Crawfort Market, Thanks to him that i could get this brand new. Personally the best phone in its series of Black and Whites, pretty old model though, i never like any of these N series and their functions, (no offence to any Nseries users but just a personal opinion)PAID 6500 of this one. (lot of them still laugh on this deal).Trust me guys tried DXb, Qatar, UK but could'nt get it anywhere. checked on ebay and its Selling for 8500 till today.

By any chance if any members around the world come accross a new slim battery for 6310i please let me know. Thanks in advance and am really happy to buy the Phone at last.
Old 9th February 2007, 15:50   #1080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
here are some

normal n73- 0539349

internet edition- 0539295

music edition- 0539343

if you want more just ask here.. ive got loads more.
I meant how do you find different codes for the same phone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks