Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2013, 10:33   #616
BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Got myself TP-LINK TD-W8968 modem router, (after my Thomson SpeedTouch modem router conked off) which can act as a standalone router as well.

Comes with two external antennas, 300mbps wireless-N, has 1-USB port which can be used to connect various printers, external hard disk or even 3G/3.5G dongles.

Beautiful design as well. Tested by connecting two laptops and 3 phones and a tablet. Works flawlessly and has a really good range.

Even though it's from a lesser know brand (TP-Link) as compared to D-Link or Linksys it comes with 3 years warranty and is a real VFM.

Cost: 2500 INR.
Old 29th May 2013, 11:11   #617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
Got myself TP-LINK TD-W8968 modem router, (after my Thomson SpeedTouch modem router conked off) which can act as a standalone router as well.

Comes with two external antennas, 300mbps wireless-N, has 1-USB port which can be used to connect various printers, external hard disk or even 3G/3.5G dongles.

Cost: 2500 INR.
Was this from SP Road? Or an online purchase?
Old 29th May 2013, 15:21   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recompose View Post
Was this from SP Road? Or an online purchase?
It was from a local shop from Mysore. My boss got it from me, I am working at Perinthalmanna, Kerala.

I guess at SP road you can get for a slightly less. Online it's a couple of hundred rupees more than what I got.
Old 29th May 2013, 18:59   #619
BHPian

I was happy with my WRT54G for past 6 years until when I bought a tablet. Now the wifi signal in one of the rooms is not great and the tablet does not pick up even though my laptop does. Considering the situation

1. Should I go for a new Router with the better range? If so what is the best one with respect to range and price and allowing me to use custom firmware if I need to tweak the range?
2. Or should I go for those range extenders. They are not cheap though. I am happy with my WRT54G still and given a chance would like going with it.
Old 29th May 2013, 19:13   #620
BHPian

Guys, I am facing continuous disconnects on my DLINK 2750U (the wifi shuts down & comes back up on my laptop). When I look into the logs, I see some intrusion attempt corresponding to this wifi disconnect. The DSL connection per say does not reset nor does the ppp session. It is only the wifi which drops & hence I get disconnected for a min or two every now and then (and each time, I see this intrusion log when I look at the logs).

Anyone of you facing this problem? Any remedy?
Old 29th May 2013, 20:47   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Guys, I am facing continuous disconnects on my DLINK 2750U (the wifi shuts down & comes back up on my laptop).
Anyone of you facing this problem? Any remedy?
My vaio did this before the wifi hardware switch went kaput. Had to plugin external wifi dongle.
Need not be the same issue for you.
Try another laptop to eliminate this aspect.
Old 31st May 2013, 13:59   #622
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

My Beetel 450Bx1 that came with the Airtel broadband connection has conked off.

I require a replacement. The beetel one was just fine for my needs (2mbps broadband connection + wifi usage for mobile and ps3).

Any similar alternative?

And pardon my ignorance, but i think Beetel 450bx is a modem+Router. Am i correct? If so, i need a similar device.
Old 31st May 2013, 14:17   #623
BHPian

Guys,

I have a requirement to connect my smart TV to my existing Home network. I have a wireless setup at home using Belkin Wireless router. My TV requires a LAN connection or a WiFi Dongle to be able to connect. The WiFi dongle is expensive for my model of the TV. (Priced at around 5K) The other option is providing a wired input. The input to this should be coming from the router which is in another room around 50 feet away. To minimize the clutter of the wires I have shortlisted this 'Netgear Wireless Range Extenderr" with 4 LAN ports from where I can take wired connection and connect other devices in my case the TV. It is available in FlipKart/Snapdeal and is priced around half of what the WiFi Dongle would cost me.

I have read some reviews of this router on amazon.com and it has got very mixed feedback. Hence wanted to ask if anybody has been using this particular model here and can share some good or bad things about it.

Its complete name is : Universal WiFi Range Extender, 4-port WiFi Adapter
Model : WN2000RPT

http://www.netgear.com/home/products...wn2000rpt.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
On Wi-Fi & Routers-b003vwze7s_bigchart.jpg  

On Wi-Fi & Routers-b003vwze7s_wn2000rpt_standing.jpg  

Old 1st June 2013, 22:08   #624
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys I recently started using a huawei router. Had one lying around and configured it to my new BSNL internet connection. The problem is I am unable to permanently enable the DHCP option in the router. Earlier my phone was not connecting to the wifi and later narrowed down the problem to the router in which the DHCP was disabled. I enabled it and the phone connected. But everytime I switch off my laptop and then restart it later the DHCP again shows disabled and the phone doesn't connect. So I have to enable it again and it works. What am I doing wrong here? How to permanently enable the DHCP on my modem?
Old 2nd June 2013, 08:37   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Guys I recently started using a huawei router. Had one lying around and configured it to my new BSNL internet connection. The problem is I am unable to permanently enable the DHCP option in the router. Earlier my phone was not connecting to the wifi and later narrowed down the problem to the router in which the DHCP was disabled. I enabled it and the phone connected. But everytime I switch off my laptop and then restart it later the DHCP again shows disabled and the phone doesn't connect. So I have to enable it again and it works. What am I doing wrong here? How to permanently enable the DHCP on my modem?
When you access the router's page by entering 192.168.1.1 (for most routers) when you enable DHCP or change any other settings in some routers these changes are automatically saved. Whereas in some other routers you'll have to save these settings manually by clicking the save button (you might have to scroll down sometimes).

It's nothing to do with you shutting down your laptop but shutting down the router without saving those changes.

Hope it helps.
Old 2nd June 2013, 09:36   #626
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
It's nothing to do with you shutting down your laptop but shutting down the router without saving those changes.

Hope it helps.
Ofcourse I click on "Apply" at the bottom of the page everytime and then log out. But as soon as a shut my laptop it again gets disabled and stops working on the phone and anyother device than the laptop.
Old 2nd June 2013, 11:49   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Ofcourse I click on "Apply" at the bottom of the page everytime and then log out. But as soon as a shut my laptop it again gets disabled and stops working on the phone and anyother device than the laptop.
Then you should either try to factory reset the router or try to upgrade the firmware of the router.

It might help.

Thanks.
Old 2nd June 2013, 12:31   #628
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys I recently started using a huawei router.
======
everytime I switch off my laptop and then restart it later the DHCP again shows disabled and the phone doesn't connect. So I have to enable it again and it works. What am I doing wrong here? How to permanently enable the DHCP on my modem?
Quote:
I have a BSNL Huawei router as well. Not sure if same model but in my case also, any setting change you do, you need to "Save" the settings AFTER 'apply' to ensure current settings are taken next time.

In my router, the Save option is in Tools -> System Commands.

Hope that helps.
Old 2nd June 2013, 13:58   #629
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
I have a BSNL Huawei router as well. Not sure if same model but in my case also, any setting change you do, you need to "Save" the settings AFTER 'apply' to ensure current settings are taken next time.

In my router, the Save option is in Tools -> System Commands.

Hope that helps.
Thanks a ton. I never knew that you have to save it again under tools after clicking on Apply. Would make the change. I am sure it should work fine then.
Old 3rd June 2013, 12:03   #630
BHPian

I'm planning to take BSNL broadband as the Airtel 3G DataCard not sufficient for my multiple needs ( phones/smart tv etc). Since, there is no wifi router on stock by the bsnl people. They asked me to source it outside. Also, they told me that the similar router is available at their 3rd party dealers, we can buy it if we desire. this is the specification they provided, vmc an1020-21 bsnl modem. It costs around 2.1K.

Please tell me if this router good enough to connect 3 phones, 2 laptops and one wifi-enabled SMART TV for watching some movies from youtube. House is around 1000 sq.ft range.

I've limited budget ( below 3k). So, Kindly suggest a good router for me. I chose the UL 950 plan as I'll 4 Mbps speed upto 8 GB.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks