Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2014, 15:59   #4006
Senior - BHPian

re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

No matter what laptop one buys, a SSD is perhaps the most critical component and affects the speed/performance of the entire system. I for one would recommend perhaps going down on CPU etc, but not compromise on a SSD.

I bought a Dell laptop in 2011 which was quite advanced at the time (i7 2nd gen, FHD, etc). However, the entire system performance was compromised by a mechanical 7200 rpm hard disk. Finally in 2013, I removed the DVD tray, bought a Silverstone DVD enclosure for converting DVD tray to SATA hard disk, and installed an Intel 520 120 GB SSD. The performance difference has been amazing and nothing unexpected.
Old 3rd February 2014, 16:03   #4007
Distinguished - BHPian

May sound little childish, but why not buy a model suitable to your requirement & budget and then just upgrade the HDD to one that spins @ 7200rpm?
Old 3rd February 2014, 16:15   #4008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
May sound little childish, but why not buy a model suitable to your requirement & budget and then just upgrade the HDD to one that spins @ 7200rpm?
The point is that the delivered laptop in Sep 2011 had a 7200 rpm Seagate Momentus. That was later replaced by a 1TB Seagate Hybrid (with around 16GB of SSD). The constraint in laptops is the hard disk slot (often one) and getting the laptop OEM to replace the hard disk with SSD is far more expensive.

There are 2 options to using SSD in laptops:
1. one hard disk slot: buying either a low capacity SSD and be crimped on storage or paying >25K for a 500GB SSD
2. converting DVD slot: buying a 120 GB roundabout SSD and a larger capacity (500-1000 GB) conventional 5400-7200 rpm hard disk.

If one is building a system, a conventional hard disk used as a boot disk is perhaps the biggest bottleneck on performance. There is no way that even a 10000 rpm Hard Disk can be in the same park as the slowest SSD.

Last edited by vasudeva : 3rd February 2014 at 16:18.
Old 3rd February 2014, 16:20   #4009
Distinguished - BHPian

Of course Vasudeva, I am in all agreement with you. However, my solution was for member 'alto99' who is looking for a laptop with a 7200 RPM HDD. I should have quoted him I guess to avoid the confusion!

And yes, any SSD is far far better than any HDD!

Regards,
Saket
Old 3rd February 2014, 16:30   #4010
Senior - BHPian

For people not short of cash and who want in their laptop (a) SSD (b) reasonable storage space, WD has recenty launched a WD Black 2.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7682/the-wd-black2-review

This is a solution to the constraint of having 1 hard disk slot. In one disk, it has a 120GB SSD and 1 TB 5400 rpm hard disk.
However,
1 it is super-expensive ($290-300)
2. the SSD is mediocre in performance.
Old 4th February 2014, 00:50   #4011
BHPian

Regarding SSD vs HDD
Reason for not going for SSD is my experience with my existing laptop (dell precision m6500 which has a SSD and a 7200rpm HDD) and SSD experiences of colleagues with similar (dell precision or latitude) has been bad over past 3 years.
1. they are unreliable. In past 4 years my laptops' SSD has been changed 4 times (once every year) under warranty by Dell. Every time, although capacity and brand was same, the disk's build /model number were different which further questions their reliability.
2. My requirements involves considerable "write" operations on the disk. That itself (excessive writes) might have caused 1st issue but I cannot prove it (http://www.howtogeek.com/165472/6-th...-state-drives/). The performance of HDD or SSD has been similar for such operations. Startup time is non issue as I almost never shut-down but use hibernate.

Although Dell changed the disks under warranty, warranty comes at a huge cost and for my personal purchase I am not inclined in spending such amounts and would prefer a more reliable memory.

I am not disagreeing with the suggestion of SSD over HDD but for my usage SSDs have been unreliable. I have friends using laptops with SSDs for casual use and it has kept them happy.

About upgrading with a 7200 rpm HDD too we have a few unreliable experiences in our organization (still under investigation and I don't know details about it - again with a Dell laptop). So I don't want to take that risk from day one. Dell used to provide factory upgraded HDs in their "personal use" laptops but nowadays I don't find that option in their Inspiron series (which are more affordable than the business ones).

If I don't get a reasonable option I might as well ditch the idea of laptop and get a desktop with 15K rpm HDD if possible within same budget.
Old 4th February 2014, 06:56   #4012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post

I am not disagreeing with the suggestion of SSD over HDD but for my usage SSDs have been unreliable. I have friends using laptops with SSDs for casual use and it has kept them happy.
Boot time improvement is not the only one advantage of SSD. As to unreliability, sorry to hear about that.
I have used SSD for 2 years now but have used only Intel and Samsung. They are reliable as are Crucial and Plextor. In fact more reliable and more long lasting than HDDs. Get a higher capacity one (>120 GB) one.
Old 4th February 2014, 12:06   #4013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonXRi94 View Post

Hi midazolam,
For a small price difference, the non touch 14r gives you a haswell i5 cpu and an nvidia gt 740m 2gb graphics card. IMHO, the non touch version makes more sense than the i3 touch. A touchscreen is anyway a pain to use on a laptop, and the faster i5 and nvidia gpu is something you may actually use
Hi RonXRi94
You are spot on. I have finalized the exact same model. There is no point in having a touch screen in a laptop. It's a pain to use and impractical. Moreover as everything is now becoming touch, I wanted to keep this traditional
Old 9th February 2014, 13:52   #4014
BHPian

I have a Samsung RV509 laptop and I just performed a clean install of windows 7 home premium. Now the touch pad isn't working for multi-finger scrolling, etc so what program or driver do I need to install to enable it? I had something called "Multi-touch" earlier but I can't find it now. Couldn't find anything on the Samsung website too
Old 9th February 2014, 14:13   #4015
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Try using windows update for all the drivers. Did so on my win 7 clean install. Didn't even use Dell CDs or the website.
Old 10th February 2014, 12:01   #4016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Try using windows update for all the drivers. Did so on my win 7 clean install. Didn't even use Dell CDs or the website.
That is one way. However for people willing to get newer versions, there is the device manager that can show the hardware and then one can search for that specific hardware driver.

There is the excellent AIDA64 program that gives highly specific info about the hardware. Use that.

If you know what is the hardware, use the manufacturers' site, eg Intel, NVIDIA/AMD, Synaptics, Realtek, etc.

An excellent driver repository is
http://www.station-drivers.com/

You get all drivers free and in many cases, I get drivers that are not offered on windows update, OEM/Manufacturers' website. Examples could be USB 3.0, esata, WIFI.
Old 11th February 2014, 13:04   #4017
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I have a Dell Vostro V131 Laptop. Since last couple of days i am facing the issue of the FAN noise coming ON a lot. I have to literally shut down the laptop as i get scared thinking it will damage my Mother board or HDD. I called up the Dell customer care and they advised that the The Heat Sink and Fan will need to be replaced. They have quoted me INR 5000/- along with the engineer visit and replace Heat Sink and Fan will carry 3 months warranty.

Is it worth it? I am not too sure on going to a local computer guy for my Dell. Its my work laptop and I dont want to take any chances.

Regards,
Old 11th February 2014, 13:41   #4018
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Now the touch pad isn't working for multi-finger scrolling, etc so what program or driver do I need to install to enable it? I had something called "Multi-touch" earlier but I can't find it now. Couldn't find anything on the Samsung website too
The touchpad driver is mentioned in the support link (under drivers) from the website: NP-RV509-A0GIN Drivers

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 372
Size:  37.4 KB
Old 11th February 2014, 14:05   #4019
Senior - BHPian

The above screen shows the sheer extent of outdated drivers put up on OEM laptop sites. Drivers for win 7 from 2011. Better to visit individual manufacturer sites or stationdrivers.
Old 11th February 2014, 14:40   #4020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The touchpad driver is mentioned in the support link (under drivers) from the website:
Thanks guys I downloaded Elantech Smartpad and now it's working fine. Earlier I had downloaded the Synaptics driver but realised my laptop doesn't have a Synaptics touchpad.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks