Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2021, 18:49   #661
BHPian

Re: The iPad Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I bought an iPad Air 4 during the sales and it came with a 20W fast charger in the box. But I saw in a YouTube review that the Air supports up to 30W charging.

Is it advisable to use third party fast chargers with the iPad? My Motorola phone has a 30W PD charger, so technically it should work. Is there a way to measure the charging current (like the Ampere app in Android)?
Not getting into the reasons of your desire to use higher wattage charger, I find the 20W too plenty sufficient for my iPad 8th gen. Also, more the wattage and more the fast charging, faster your battery of iPad degrades. I would recommend sticking to the stock charger and moreover, the iPad battery lasts so much that if you are a casual user, you may be charging once a week and if you are heavy user, chances are, you will be charging every night. Either way, the 20W is sufficient.
raksrules is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 16:59   #662
Senior - BHPian

What is a good file manager app for the iPad that can connect to multiple cloud providers (I need Dropbox and OneDrive)? I don’t mind a one-time payment but would prefer to avoid subscription apps. TIA.

Need to be able to move files of all types and folders/directories from, to and among these cloud providers.
Old 31st October 2021, 09:19   #663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
What is a good file manager app for the iPad that can connect to multiple cloud providers (I need Dropbox and OneDrive)? I don’t mind a one-time payment but would prefer to avoid subscription apps. TIA.

Need to be able to move files of all types and folders/directories from, to and among these cloud providers.
Try the "Documents" app. It is very popular.
raksrules is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 12:56   #664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Try the "Documents" app. It is very popular.
Thank you. I installed this and it looks very good. I am already using the same publisher's Spark Mail app so am aware of their attention to detail and UX.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 22:02   #665
Senior - BHPian

I have the Gen 3 iPad and we wanted to get a new one. Meanwhile, Mom wanted an iPad to watch YouTube but my brother has picked up the latest Amazon Fire HD 8 Tab, 32 GB in the US for just $40. Amazing pricing. Should get it in two days
Attached Thumbnails
The iPad Thread-screen-shot-20211128-22.01.45.png  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 13:09   #666
Senior - BHPian

I picked up the iPad mini after seeing the small screen factor in Amazon Fire. I believe this is the best purchase i made till date. The form factor is just right for my palm. Fast processor, crisp screen, quick scrolling make it a delight. I bought the non cellular since we never used sim card in our last iPad
Attached Thumbnails
The iPad Thread-img_6049.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 08:04   #667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I picked up the iPad mini after seeing the small screen factor in Amazon Fire. I believe this is the best purchase i made till date. The form factor is just right for my palm. Fast processor, crisp screen, quick scrolling make it a delight. I bought the non cellular since we never used sim card in our last iPad
I am also planning to buy mainly for media consumption but not now. I intend to use for when travelling to office and such which doesn't look like it is going to happen anytime soon. You think it is good for watching Netflix and even offline videos (I use nplayer or infuse). I went to Aptronix apple reseller shop couple of weeks back to get feel of the mini and really felt it was awesome to hold. Coming from a regular ipad 8th gen which I use daily, it obviously felt small, font etc too but that just needs some adjustment. Basically, I want the mini right now but don't need right now. So convincing myself to wait.

On a different note, people using iPadOS 15.x, do you have issue with your ipad that the OS is occupying lots of space and even system storage is taking lots of space? For me, 7.5GB is taken by iPadOS and 2.5GB by system storage and that is bothersome as it leaves little space for other stuff. I did read online that this has been a persistent issue with the 15.x since it came.
Old 6th January 2022, 09:26   #668
Senior - BHPian

I have an ipad pro 10.5, and recently I bought a realme pad 10.4 4gb. Surprisingly, watching movies is far more enjoyable on the realme pad than the ipad, due to its wide angle screen and Dolby speakers. Ipad has an aspect ratio of 4:3. While it works for reading and writing, it sucks for media consumption, as there are two huge bars on top and below every video. So effective video size is smaller.

As an additional perk, the cellular version actually works as a mobile with proper calling and text, unlike an ipad where a cellular is used only for data

The realme pad has a 15:9 aspect ratio, which is very close to 16:9 used by most videos. So the screen is filled with the video. The taller aspect ratio allows me to hold the device in one hand gripping it like a phone.

It is only when I am keeping the tablet horizontal and reading/ browsing on it that the ipad's aspect ratio feels better, because there is lesser scrolling requirement.

If someone is looking at primarily media consumption device, I feel Android devices offer a better experience due to wider angle displays. Ipad mini with smaller screen and 5:4 display will have an even smaller actual display area for videos.

For example, I bought the realme pad with case and screen guard for around 16k including all offers, and added an onsitego extended warranty for 2 years for an additional 1.7k. So in less than 18k, you have a media consumption and calling device with beautiful bright display and Dolby sound with 3 years warranty. Not bad at all.

Last edited by ani_meher : 6th January 2022 at 09:31.
ani_meher is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 11:14   #669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I have an ipad pro 10.5, and recently I bought a realme pad 10.4 4gb. Surprisingly, watching movies is far more enjoyable on the realme pad than the ipad, due to its wide angle screen and Dolby speakers. Ipad has an aspect ratio of 4:3.........
I have to agree with you. I have samsung galaxy tab a7 and watching videos on that is very much more enjoyable than my 8th gen iPad. But problem for me comes in the 8 inch size category. There is almost no all in one tablet that fits my requirement. Something like Samsung A7 lite has HD Screen (Not FullHD), Lenovo M8 FHD has full hd screen but lacks a very important component widevine L1 DRM which means Netflix, amazon prime video,hotstar cannot take advantage of the full hd screen and displays contents in very bad 480 resolution.
iPad mini is the only one that fits all the conditions but then It is pretty expensive relatively.
Old 6th January 2022, 12:29   #670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...There is almost no all in one tablet that fits my requirement. ...
I tried a few 8 inch tablets, and most had pathetic screen. For someone really sensitive to screen size, iPad Mini with its horrible price is the only option. But if not for the novelty factor, I can see that the little screen can quickly get tiring for a non-constrained user.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 12:33   #671
Senior - BHPian

iPad Mini very good for Netflix and Prime. The small form factor, processor, features etc are too good. I haven't tried android tabs so my knowledge is very limited there
Quote:
lacks a very important component widevine L1 DRM which means Netflix, amazon prime video,hotstar cannot take advantage of the full hd screen and displays contents in very bad 480 resolution. iPad mini is the only one that fits all the conditions but then It is pretty expensive relatively.
Old 6th January 2022, 14:40   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Lenovo M8 FHD has full hd screen but lacks a very important component widevine L1 DRM
Realme Pad has WV L1 support. Another good contender is Nokia Tab but it has L3 support. I am also contemplating of buying realme pad for basic work and media consumption. Though the upcoming Motorola G 70 has added to the confusion.
Old 6th January 2022, 17:29   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
Realme Pad has WV L1 support. Another good contender is Nokia Tab but it has L3 support. I am also contemplating of buying realme pad for basic work and media consumption. Though the upcoming Motorola G 70 has added to the confusion.
That is good to know but i am looking for 8 inch tablet so that won't work for me.
Old 6th January 2022, 21:21   #674
BHPian

Quote:
That is good to know but i am looking for 8 inch tablet so that won't work for me.
Ok. You can also check out Motorola tab G20. 8.4 inch tablet with very good reviews. It’s available on flipkart.
Old 6th January 2022, 21:35   #675

I feel that the aspect ratio of the iPad (mini or otherwise) is not video friendly. An 8 inch Android tablet with 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio would display a bigger video image than the iPad which will display thick black bars on the top and bottom. Somebody buying the iPad primarily for video consumption need to keep that in mind. I'd buy an iPad for productivity, not entertainment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks