Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2020, 22:23   #541
BHPian

Re: The iPad Thread

Bought a 12.9 inch ipad pro 512 Wifi + cellular (that is a mouthful!) during the Amazon shopping festival. Got more than 12K as discount + Amazon pay cashback. Plus, was also offered 6 months No cost EMI, so that cushioned the financial blow a little bit. Also bought the 2nd Gen apple pencil. I still haven't warmed upto the keyboard. I don't think i will ever buy the keyboard. For all typing, i still prefer my laptop.
The reason is went for the pro was i do lot of photo editing on Lightroom. May be i might move to video editing also in the future so wanted to future proof it as much as possible.
But looking at how the new Air is doing, perhaps i could have bought the Air? This is just buyers remorse talking!
naveenvenkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 11:30   #542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
But looking at how the new Air is doing, perhaps i could have bought the Air? This is just buyers remorse talking!
While the iPad Air 4 is pretty good and has A14, the A12Z is no slouch for it has more multi-core CPUs (8 in pro Vs. 6 in Air). So the Pro is suited for video editing and having multiple layers in Procreate, etc. and running other graphics heavy stuff, the Air 4 is perfect for regular work.
So enjoy There's no one who hasn't thought if cross-shopping between iPad Air 4 and iPad Pro

PS: Still looking for the iPad Air 4 in Reliance Digital... They don't seem to have stock in any brick & mortar stores in Bengaluru
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 14:44   #543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
PS: Still looking for the iPad Air 4 in Reliance Digital... They don't seem to have stock in any brick & mortar stores in Bengaluru
Check out the IndiaiStore. They seem to have discounts up to Rs 4,000 on HDFC cards for the iPad Air. The Apple Online Store is an option too but it looks like they don't ship for a few weeks.
Anjadekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 16:32   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjadekar View Post
Check out the IndiaiStore. They seem to have discounts up to Rs 4,000 on HDFC cards for the iPad Air. The Apple Online Store is an option too but it looks like they don't ship for a few weeks.
Most of the stores are out of stock currently. I couldn't find a 64GB Blue iPad Air anywhere in Gurgaon. So, I have ordered it online from the Apple's website. Yes, the delivery times are longer - my order will be shipped in last week of Nov.
Old 2nd November 2020, 17:48   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
Most of the stores are out of stock currently. I couldn't find a 64GB Blue iPad Air anywhere in Gurgaon. So, I have ordered it online from the Apple's website. Yes, the delivery times are longer - my order will be shipped in last week of Nov.

Are there any discounts/cash backs available from the Apple website ?
Old 2nd November 2020, 17:49   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Are there any discounts/cash backs available from the Apple website ?
There is discount for students. Approx 4k on iPad and 1.5k on the pencil.
Old 2nd November 2020, 18:07   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjadekar View Post
Thanks buddy, but I have some Reliance Digital vouchers which I plan to use with this purchase, hence the wait.
My plan is 64GB iPad Air 4 with a 2nd gen pencil. Will add a non-Apple keyboard/ case.
Old 2nd November 2020, 19:44   #548
BHPian

Does it make any sense to replace the batteries in an old Gen ipad (1st Gen Air)? Or should I simply buy a newer version?
Old 2nd November 2020, 19:50   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishv1987 View Post
Does it make any sense to replace the batteries in an old Gen ipad (1st Gen Air)? Or should I simply buy a newer version?
Definitely time to buy a new one
Anjadekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 21:46   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishv1987 View Post
Depends on your usage. If it is just for regular browsing and Netflix, I will suggest you to save money and get the battery replaced. Apple service centre may charge you a bomb for it - its better to get it replaced by any reliable local service centre.

But, if you would like to use the iPad for other purposes like gaming, graphics, note taking, etc, you should definitely get the new one.
woof is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 21:06   #551
Senior - BHPian

What started out as a quest to replace my ageing iPad Mini 2 ending up with me buying the iPad Air 256 GB today.

I initially wanted a way to continue my work in places where using a laptop is cumbersome. Plus charging a laptop is a pain in many situations (despite me having a 12V to 3 pin car charger). After much deliberation, finalized the new iPad Air. However, there was no stock available online or offline in 64 GB capacity in Wi-Fi only models. Spent 2 days searching physical shops and ended up buying the 256 Gb version in Silver from Maple.

Feels snappy, is fast and very much suited for my work. Best of all, it can run Photoshop as well as edit videos (iMovie) much faster than my 2015 MacBook Pro.

The downside is the missing headphone jack (rectifiable by Bluetooth headsets), and the USB-C port. It will take some time to accumulate the required dongles, but it's better than lighting as I can get 3rd party dongles for cheap.

Still not decided on the Apple Care, but have 60 days to get it. Will take a call on it next month.

I would have love to get an Apple Pencil and a keyboard folio, but then, I blew my budget thanks to the lack of the base model iPads in store. I have a desktop at home, so no worries there, but for long term, I might buy the Logitech Bluetooth keyboard for long typing work. Waiting to see if this can truly replace the laptop.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 12:41   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
There is discount for students. Approx 4k on iPad and 1.5k on the pencil.
Does the discount differ from device to device or student's school? I can see only ~1500 off on the regular ipad 128 GB.
Thanks,
R
Old 16th November 2020, 12:51   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Does the discount differ from device to device or student's school? I can see only ~1500 off on the regular ipad 128 GB.
Thanks,
R
It differs from device to device. Doesn’t matter which school or college.
Yakuza is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 14:14   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
There is no dependency on the educational institution. The discount depends on the device. 4k is the discount on the iPad Air 64GB Wifi model. It may be lesser for the iPad 8th generation.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th November 2020 at 15:55. Reason: Fixed quote.
woof is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 13:02   #555
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday afternoon my new iPad Air 4th generation was delivered. And I was a very happy boy. Only for a little while though.

You have to admit nobody knows how to box up a device better than Apple. Love the way how it is presented. As I already own an iPad I thought it would be breeze setting it up as you can just take the last back up of your old iPad and install it on the brand new one. To this purpose I had made a fresh up to date back up of my old iPad the same morning.

It did not go smoothly. The auto-connect features on neither my iPad or my iPhone were supported, so I could not use either one to set it up. Then I find out that this new iPad comes with an USB-C cable only. On both ends!

My MacBook Pro only has the only USB-A connections! So I checked Apple web site. Would you believe it, they don’t have a cable for that! So I popped into town on my bicycle to buy a cable. We don’t have proper electronic stores, but we do have a few of these mobile phone shops. Sure enough they had a cable, just a few Euro’s. But I am skeptical of these cheap cables.

Sure enough, the cheap cable would charge, but would not allow the iPad to connect properly to my MacBook. I have seen this problem before. Even proper Apple cables over time, give the same problem.

So I popped over to the nearest AMAC shop. We only have three real Apple Stores here in the Netherlands. But most major towns will have these official Apple Retailers. Still takes 45 minutes just to drive out there!

The guys were very helpful. They were familiar with my problem and had a customer with the exact same problem that very morning. But they did not have the correct cable either!

So I found myself a nearby electronic store and managed to purchase a USB 3.1 Gen 2, USB-C. That did the trick. But this cable cost me a staggering Euro 35!! I have owned cars that cost less!

Back home, with my new cable I tried to set up my nice new shiny iPad. Only a few things came across. So I called Apple Support. I have taken the Apple care as well. Me and the Apple Techie soon found the problem; My old iPad is so old that the back up isn’t compatible with the new iPad/Software! My old iPad was still running on OS12.2 version and could not be upgraded.

Two things managed to come across, all my favourites on Safari and all the passwords. So that was something. But everything else I had to download from the cloud and install again. If anything an interesting exercise to clean up your apps. And then I spend hours re-arranging the apps, grouping them etc.

I must have spend about 5-6 hours, excluding travel time, to get this thing up and running. Still not perfect, but I am beginning to enjoy it now. Still need to fix a few things and also put some different screensavers on it. The standard Apple ones don’t look like much.

The iPad Thread-img_3718.jpg

I am impressed with the new iPad. Had to figure out how to use it though. No home button. Apple has a very good very simple tutorial that will get you going with all the right/left/up/down swipes in a matter of minutes!

So a bit of a troublesome start. I had not expected this at all. I have also ordered a new iPhone 12. My old iPhone is a bit of an oldie as well, but at least it is running on the latest OS as well. So hopefully that goes a bit smoother.

Finally, I will have to go back to AMAC and or the electronic store one more time. I also have one of these fantastic Bose noise cancelling head sets. The iPad and my Bose headset are my ever travelling companions. But the headset comes with a plug! And it won’t fit into the new iPad, but at least I’ve spotted a very simple adaptor for that!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks