Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2020, 19:44   #586
BHPian

Re: The iPad Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Frustrated by lack of iPad Air 4 at Reliance Digital, was planning to get the iPad Pro 11" 2020 before I stumbled upon the AppleCare+ package. It is 16k for Pro compared to 6k for Air.
Dang. Wait for Air 4 continues
If you don't mind me asking, what will be the use case of the ipad for you?
So the reason I ask is, I was in the same boat around July and to be honest, I wanted to be silly and get the iPad pro. Sanity prevailed and I got the regular ipad 10.5 inch 7th gen (Latest at that moment) for 30K and an Apple pencil.
Except for the face time camera, I don't feel you need anything more for basic tasks. Face time camera on this is horrible.
I really wanted the Pro form factor, but to be honest in a case I don't miss that form factor much. I now feel glad I didn't spend 40K more for the form factor only. Plus I love touch id.
My use case is browsing, a lot of youtube and I tried my hands at sketching with the apple pencil and this iPad is more than up for the job.

This is just my personal opinion and since you are struggling so much with the air stock, maybe you can consider the ipad 8th gen.

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 19:51   #587
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wait for Air 4 continues
It’s worth the wait; the new Air is indeed a wonderful device. The screen is awesome and the device is so good that I pushed out my plans for a new MacBook to next year. As mentioned by one of the reviewer, this indeed is the iPad Pro killer
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 20:06   #588
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Frustrated by lack of iPad Air 4 at Reliance Digital, was planning to get the iPad Pro 11" 2020 before I stumbled upon the AppleCare+ package. It is 16k for Pro compared to 6k for Air.
Dang. Wait for Air 4 continues
Apple india is taking pre orders, only problem you don't get the 4K HDFC cashback. If you can arrange an apple student id you can get that same discount upfront , you can just order from apple store and will be delivered to you in two weeks.

Have asked a friend for help, but it seems it's taking long for apple to approve the id.

Last edited by AtheK : 11th December 2020 at 20:32.
Old 11th December 2020, 20:16   #589
Team-BHP Support

I was also planning to buy the iPad Pro but I just found the iPad Air 4 so much better value. I also took the plunge to finally get wifi only. I think cellular is so redundant in today's day and age. And with cloud storage anyway a necessity I no longer feel compelled to pay stupid amounts for mega storage on the device itself.

Very happy with my new Air 4 which I bought from the online store. The magic keyboard is brilliant too. I am parking on buying the pencil unless I truly feel the need for it.
Old 11th December 2020, 20:17   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Apple pencil.
I am someone who has ordered the iPad 8th Gen only because I wanted to buy one. I can do without it. I was also planning iPad Air 4 but after contemplating a lot, I figured out that spending 25K premium is not worth it.

My main question is how is your experience with 1st gen pencil on the iPad? I hope I get the iPad (cannot be sure as it is ordered to my friend's home in US and is planned to be delivered literally 1 day prior to his departure, it is backordered on amazon currently). My wife loves to sketch on paper with colors and pencil and such. I wanted to see if I should get a pencil. I don't want the pencil clones as they won't work well I know.
Old 11th December 2020, 22:26   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
I am someone who has ordered the iPad 8th Gen only because I wanted to buy one. I can do without it. I was also planning iPad Air 4 but after contemplating a lot, I figured out that spending 25K premium is not worth it.

My main question is how is your experience with 1st gen pencil on the iPad? I hope I get the iPad (cannot be sure as it is ordered to my friend's home in US and is planned to be delivered literally 1 day prior to his departure, it is backordered on amazon currently). My wife loves to sketch on paper with colors and pencil and such. I wanted to see if I should get a pencil. I don't want the pencil clones as they won't work well I know.
For somebody like me who was still not sure if there was a use for an iPad in their routine, basic iPad is a great device to start with. You don't end up breaking your bank that much and I feel it is a great value for general purpose use.

My experience with the pencil has been great. I recently got into investing in stocks and in my mind, I bought the ipad primarily for reading about stocks and stuff. That time of the day my laptop was with my daughter for online classes and doing it on ipad is so much nicer than a phone. Now all my youtubing has also shifted from the laptop to ipad as I feel iPad is a great device to watch youtube. In my mind, when I got the pencil, I imagined myself taking notes for various stocks and doing company research and in between doing some sketching (Which I must admit, I am horrible at). Well, in reality, I didn't end up doing that much research at least so far. I do some ugly sketching some time and my 6 year old daughter does a lot of her ugly sketching as well on the ipad now. Some less paper wastage in the home because of this. But I dont think it is absolutely necessary to get a pencil and it totally depends on the use case. In IOS 14, apple has added more support for pencil and now you can just write in various fields of the browser lets say, and it will convert to text. But still its not absolutely needed.

For me Pencil adds a bit of novelty factor and a lot of fun factor to ipad. I really enjoy using the pencil on ipad whenever I get a chance too. Its super fun to use. I have just downloaded adobe illustrator and want to play with drawing car models. I know they will be horrible, but a nice game.

Unless you have a specific use case, I don't think between Pencil1 or Pencil2 should define your ipad purchase choice. Pencil1 does almost everything that a Pencil2 does except for 2 things from what I know. Pencil2 has a tap feature to change the writing tool you are using and it attaches and charges neatly to the ipad. Pencil1 charging solution is a bit too crude. But if the primary use is indoors, nothing that cant be lived with.

Rachit
Old 14th December 2020, 11:17   #592
BHPian

Quote:
...what will be the use case of the ipad for you?...
Media consumption, blogging, photo and video editing and a bit of drawing/ sketching... pretty much everything I do with my laggy laptop and more Plus I tend to keep my electronic devices for a loooong time hence going for Air 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
It’s worth the wait;
Thanks you just helped me shore up my resolve . The stores have started getting the 64GB variant... I'm sure the 256 GB one is going to come soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
...you can just order from apple store and will be delivered to you in two weeks
I've waited for so long now and I'm sure the stores will have it in another week. Thanks any way
ValarMorghulis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 19:33   #593
BHPian

Quote:

My experience with the pencil has been great.
What price did you buy the 1st Gen Pencil for? I too feel pencil may be not really needed unless I get something for cheap(er). Did you ever explore Apple Pencil Alternatives that are available on amazon and such. I see couple from ABOUTTHEFIT and CASEU brands selling for between 3K to 4K. They seem to only miss pressure sensitivity compared to Apple Pencil.
Also have you have installed Tempered Glass Screen Protector on your iPad and using pencil with it? I want to know how well it works with them.

I am getting Apple Pencil brand new for 5K from US through coupons and such and have a friend coming (who is bringing iPad with him, assuming it reaches him on time). Contemplating whether I should get it. Indian MRP is 8.5K. Not sure what kind of discounts are there here.
Old 15th December 2020, 00:12   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Media consumption, blogging, photo and video editing and a bit of drawing/ sketching... pretty much everything I do with my laggy laptop and more Plus I tend to keep my electronic devices for a loooong time hence going for Air 4
Makes sense!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
What price did you buy the 1st Gen Pencil for? I too feel pencil may be not really needed unless I get something for cheap(er). Did you ever explore Apple Pencil Alternatives that are available on amazon and such. I see couple from ABOUTTHEFIT and CASEU brands selling for between 3K to 4K. They seem to only miss pressure sensitivity compared to Apple Pencil.
Also have you have installed Tempered Glass Screen Protector on your iPad and using pencil with it? I want to know how well it works with them.

I am getting Apple Pencil brand new for 5K from US through coupons and such and have a friend coming (who is bringing iPad with him, assuming it reaches him on time). Contemplating whether I should get it. Indian MRP is 8.5K. Not sure what kind of discounts are there here.
I got the Apple Pencil for 8.5K. I did consider getting other alternatives on Amazon primarily because when I bought it, you could not find Apple Pencil in stock online anywhere. Luckily in one of my market visits, I saw 1 last piece of it in one of the shops and picked it from there.

I was apprehensive about getting something else because writing/sketching with a pencil on a digital screen is all about feel (Speed, feel of friction and latency and accuracy of input) and I would trust Apple to get it right especially when you are doing it on an iPad.

Rachit
Old 16th December 2020, 17:10   #595
Senior - BHPian

Apple rumoured to launch the iPad 9 in early 2021 with an A13 Bionic chipset and a 10.5-inch display. The budget iPad is apparently due for release in Spring 2021. The iPad 9 will supposedly feature a larger display and an A13 Bionic chipset. Additionally, the screen size has grown from 10.2-inches to 10.5-inches, which suggests that the iPad 9 will have slimmer bezels than the iPad 8.

So, folks who are due for an iPad refresh can hold on a little longer.

Source: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-....509077.0.html
tj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 20:24   #596
BHPian

Finally finally got the iPad Air 4 2565GB in Space Grey.

Have to say: This is a fine piece of glass. I'm enamoured.

Worth.the.wait
Old 18th December 2020, 22:21   #597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Apple rumoured to launch the iPad 9 in early 2021 with an A13 Bionic chipset and a 10.5-inch display. The budget iPad is apparently due for release in Spring 2021. The iPad 9 will supposedly feature a larger display and an A13 Bionic chipset. Additionally, the screen size has grown from 10.2-inches to 10.5-inches, which suggests that the iPad 9 will have slimmer bezels than the iPad 8.

So, folks who are due for an iPad refresh can hold on a little longer.

Source: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-....509077.0.html
I read about this but I doubt this will be true.
They refreshed the base iPad just 2 months back so launching a brand new in spring 2021 seems far-fetched. If they actually do it, chances are they may increase price.
Old 19th December 2020, 23:07   #598
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally got the iPad Air 4, took quite some effort but finally got it in blue from apple store in phoenix mall. Had to wait a couple of hours for them to arrange the blue and green color. Got 4000 cashback on Hdfc card. Just used it for couple of hours what a beautiful machine .

Will post detailed experience soon, any suggestions for non official back case will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPad Thread-img_20201219_204801.jpg  

The iPad Thread-img_20201219_205041.jpg  

AtheK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 11:29   #599
BHPian

I was confused between Ipad 10.2 and Air, couldn't make up my mind to spend 50k on a tab. So finally got myself a 10.2 couple of days back for 26k post discount. Gold was the only available colour.

It is out of stock on most of the stores may be due to logistic issues or high demand or may be Apple is trying to create a deficit and push people towards Air. Comes with a bundled 20W charger, many thanks Apple for such generosity.

The iPad Thread-20201222_111012.jpg

The iPad Thread-20201222_111937.jpg
ast.ggn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 11:51   #600
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Any suggestions for non official back case will be appreciated.
This is what I got, with magnetic sleep/wake sleeve on the front and the back cover is semi-transparent.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CXW3Y9V...p_mob_ap_share

The iPad Thread-20201222_140857_resized_1.jpg
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks