Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2019, 20:36   #451
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Guys, need help. My dad's 2013 WiFi+cellular 32gb iPad has suddenly died. Refuses to turn on, charge. Tried the usual power on + various buttons combination but nothing seems to be working. Has anyone faced similar situation before?
Old 17th December 2019, 22:31   #452
BHPian

Re: The iPad Thread

Connect you iPad to MAC or PC with iTunes preferably with internet, Keep the home and power button pressed for 10 and then let go power button. iTunes should detect your iPad, it might ask to restore.
Old 18th December 2019, 08:07   #453
Senior - BHPian

If it's 2013 model then the battery is dead, or there is gunk on the charging port. You could dab a little alcohol on an ear bud and clean it well, let it completely dry and charge. Check for damage on the port as well. My ipad battery lasted barely 4 years, after which I bought a new one. Are you using original charger?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Guys, need help. My dad's 2013 WiFi+cellular 32gb iPad has suddenly died. Refuses to turn on, charge. Tried the usual power on + various buttons combination but nothing seems to be working. Has anyone faced similar situation before?

Last edited by Sebring : 18th December 2019 at 08:14.
Old 18th December 2019, 11:47   #454
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
If it's 2013 model then the battery is dead, or there is gunk on the charging port. You could dab a little alcohol on an ear bud and clean it well, let it completely dry and charge. Check for damage on the port as well. My ipad battery lasted barely 4 years, after which I bought a new one. Are you using original charger?
Yes, always used original charger.

I took it to a maple store here in Powai & they connected to a computer, tried the home button + vol up/down combination. Damn thing still didn't turn on!

My only concern is that if the repair cost exceeds 3-4k, it may not be worth it since the apple suggested buy back value is only 3-4k!
Old 7th January 2020, 18:32   #455
RJK
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE:
So I took the iPad to Maple repair centre at Rcity, Ghatkopar & they basically said it is dead. Battery can't be changed & iPad can't be opened either. Its an expensive paper weight or veggies chopping board right now :lol
So there's a gadget I know I'll never buy or recommend
Old 7th January 2020, 19:01   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't it already 6 years old? Then I would recommend this as a device to buy. Even TVs plastered to the wall do not last this long. A device in the modern era becomes outdated in 3 years. If you are able to extract any more life, its a bonus. Its not worth replacing the battery of such an old device. Its better to get a new iPad, the 6th gen is only 23k on Flipkart now.
Old 8th January 2020, 02:12   #457
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
Isn't it already 6 years old? Then I would recommend this as a device to buy. Even TVs plastered to the wall do not last this long. A device in the modern era becomes outdated in 3 years. If you are able to extract any more life, its a bonus. Its not worth replacing the battery of such an old device. Its better to get a new iPad, the 6th gen is only 23k on Flipkart now.
5-6yrs is decent amount of time, I agree. But when I pay premium (& I speak for me, not anyone else), I do expect longevity to a certain degree. Devices going bad is understandable but designing them in a way that they cannot be repaired is not.

Just to give you few examples:

1) Our TV - 42" Toshiba was bought in 2006, still going strong. Only changed a remote 5 yrs ago.
2) Additional TV - 55" Sony bought in 2015 still works well (touch wood)
3) Couple of the AC's (window units) still work, bought back in 2003. Only need routine maintenance
4) 2009 Honda Civic, works like a charm - only 45k kms
5) 2014 Innova - 110,000 kms; still works with routine maintenance

Point being I understand items failing if they were cheap & bought knowingly. Incase of failure, there should atleast be an option of repair!

Ofcourse we are all entitled to our opinions & recommendations.

Cheerio
Old 8th January 2020, 05:03   #458
Senior - BHPian

RJK, sorry for your loss. Data from handheld electronics (and laptops) should be backed up regularly to cloud. 5-6 years is that I'd consider good life. I'd totally buy an iPad again. Trust me, you'd have never reached the 6 year mark with a Samsung or a Google Nexus tablet. My sisters 2012 Nexus 7 lasted 4 years to the point it got unusable. Got another year of life by installing a ROM.

I've to agree that devices aren't as easy to repair as before. Applies to cars, motorcycles and electronics.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 8th January 2020 at 05:06.
Old 8th January 2020, 09:47   #459
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE:
So I took the iPad to Maple repair centre at Rcity, Ghatkopar & they basically said it is dead. Battery can't be changed & iPad can't be opened either. Its an expensive paper weight or veggies chopping board right now :lol
Why don't you try with third party repair . I am sure you will have them in your city. I am sure they will be able to replace the battery for you with a new one. Try it before discarding the device.
Old 8th January 2020, 11:49   #460
BHPian

Since I see some posts about longevity of iPad, I have iPad 2 bought back in 2012 (as used) and it still works today except the home button is broken (as in only registers press when done in a hard way and that too not always). Since it is not getting any other use, I decided to turn it into a digital wall clock with some free app and it works absolutely fine. It is connected to wall outlet all the time.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPad Thread-ipad.jpg  

raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 11:59   #461
Senior - BHPian

My 2014 iPad mini 2 still works fine. 5.5 years! The only issue is it has slowed down a bit. Otherwise its perfect in almost every aspect. Physically the device does not have a single scratch either (yes I maintained it but the building quality is nevertheless pretty solid).
Old 19th February 2020, 16:23   #462
BHPian

Does Xiaomi's Bluetooth Controller (or any other controller apart from XBox, PS4 and MFi controllers) work with iPads running on the most recent iPad OS?
Old 27th April 2020, 20:49   #463
BHPian

I am keen on buying an iPad for home usage primarily for family as my current one is struggling to keep up and has been broken and battered in the nooks...

Need to understand which is the best one to buy knowing that now there is the new keypad that the Pro version is being launched abroad. Not sure if I should spend a very high price; but do put in your views on the same.

Guess there will be a huge inventory of electronics; discounts could set in and hopefully good time to buy. In the US MBP - 16" is sold at a discount of USD 499/-; so good time to spruce up gadgets if need be once this lockdown is over.
Old 29th April 2020, 18:12   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Since I see some posts about longevity of iPad, I have iPad 2 bought back in 2012 (as used) and it still works today except the home button is broken (as in only registers press when done in a hard way and that too not always). Since it is not getting any other use, I decided to turn it into a digital wall clock with some free app and it works absolutely fine. It is connected to wall outlet all the time.
What an amazing utilisation of something which cant be used.

As you said its permanently hardwired, why don't you try connecting with a small affordable camera outside house and set it on PIP mode. Cam + Watch will be a good combination and even if you have 4 GB on that rig, I think you can get an hour plus recording option.
Old 29th April 2020, 19:53   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviatoraval View Post
What an amazing utilisation of something which cant be used.

As you said its permanently hardwired, why don't you try connecting with a small affordable camera outside house and set it on PIP mode. Cam + Watch will be a good combination and even if you have 4 GB on that rig, I think you can get an hour plus recording option.

I do actually have a IP Camera but I don't really want to do that and I stay in Mumbai and in a flat so not sure where I would even point camera and for what purpose.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks