Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2020, 20:02   #571
BHPian

Re: The iPad Thread

Does anyone know if there is HDFC discount / cashback on iPad 8th gen? I got to know from above that for Air there is 4k discount but not sure what is there for iPad 8th gen? Also is it offline discount at apple resellers only or online apple.com/in too?

Anyone here who was in dilemma over buying ipad 8th gen vs air 4? The difference in MRP is substantial at almost 25K and personally I would love to get Air but for casual use, I don't seem to be able to justify the premium over 8th gen.
Old 7th December 2020, 01:16   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Does anyone know if there is HDFC discount / cashback on iPad 8th gen? I got to know from above that for Air there is 4k discount but not sure what is there for iPad 8th gen? Also is it offline discount at apple resellers only or online apple.com/in too?

Anyone here who was in dilemma over buying ipad 8th gen vs air 4? The difference in MRP is substantial at almost 25K and personally I would love to get Air but for casual use, I don't seem to be able to justify the premium over 8th gen.
Will try & keep it short.

I was in the same boat since iPad's launch. Wanted the 8th gen 128 GB, but stocks were no where to be found. Nothing much has changed today.

Then Apple India went LIVE with HDFC cashback / EMI offers, however, deliveries were shown atleast 3 weeks away. I wanted to get it either on Diwali or Marriage Anniversary, none was in sync with Apple delivery dates.

Offline availability was only for 32 GB model.

I was eyeing Air 4 as well because of flagship chipset (1st priority), laminated display, 4 speakers. Was in touch with Croma and got a call one day about stocks arriving.

Only pre-booked stocks are honored, but I reached just in time to buy one 64 GB Air 4 Space Grey.

This was on Nov 15.

I was given the 4k cash back offer on HDFC.

This is my first Apple device of any category, and I was also looking for a new laptop, so combined with Logitech K480 keyboard and using the combination for more than 2 weeks now.

The only other accessory I plan to buy is the USB-C hub to connect an external display (24") via HDMI.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPad Thread-1607283959465.jpg  

The iPad Thread-1607283970100.jpg  

Safety is Param is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 08:43   #573
BHPian

@Safety_is_Param

Thanks for your inputs. Just one correction, iPad Air 4 does not have 4 speakers. It has 2 speakers, just that they are located one on each side. The other 2 grills are fakes.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 09:49   #574
BHPian

Quote:
@Safety_is_Param

Thanks for your inputs. Just one correction, iPad Air 4 does not have 4 speakers. It has 2 speakers, just that they are located one on each side. The other 2 grills are fakes.
Yeah, ok, thanks for that.

4-speakers may be in the Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 which I was looking into from the Android side, and which carries a terrific value priced similarly to Air 4. Two things I liked about Samsung was the placement of front camera and the bundled S-Pen.

The Air probably doesn't have 4 speakers as you said, but it has a balanced sound since the output is not just from one side as on the iPad 8. I initially thought it might not bother me much, but I did play some YouTube videos when in Croma, on both the iPad 8 and Air, and yes, the balanced / stereo sound does make a difference. It also allows you to hold the device from either sides.

One other thing that made me lean towards the Air was the usb C port as against the lightning port on the iPad 8. Opens up a lot of possibilities.

These were some of the reasons I decided to pay approximately INR 13k more for the Air 4 as against the 128 GB iPad 8.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 7th December 2020 at 10:10.
Old 7th December 2020, 11:01   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
These were some of the reasons I decided to pay approximately INR 13k more for the Air 4 as against the 128 GB iPad 8.
I guess since you already were comparing 128GB iPad 8th gen to Air 4, the choice was easier for you. I am comparing the base 32GB which is 29.9K vs the Air at 50.5K (considering HDFC cashback) so that is a cool 20K difference.
Let's see what I end up with.
Old 7th December 2020, 11:12   #576
BHPian

The iPad Air 4 is horribly not in stock in any of the Reliance Digital stores in Bangalore!!
Have been on the lookout for a 256GB variant and none of the stores seem to have any stock!!
I might as well go for an iPad Pro 11" 2020 128GB version... uggggh
Old 7th December 2020, 11:32   #577
BHPian

Quote:
I guess since you already were comparing 128GB iPad 8th gen to Air 4, the choice was easier for you.
Yes, that and since it was going to be my 1st Apple device, and Apple is known for longetivity, I didn't want to begin with a 2 or 3 year old CPU and then conclude in 2023 that my iPad is now sluggish, and how Samsung could have also lasted the same but with additional features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
The iPad Air 4 is horribly not in stock in any of the Reliance Digital stores in Bangalore!!
Hi, pls speak to your nearest Croma outlet. As of Nov 3rd week they were delivering stocks within 48 hrs to Customers who made the payment in advance.

If you are eyeing a particular model then this may be the most efficient option.

The day I bought it, coincidentally the iPlanet store near my place also had a Silver 64 GB iPad Air 4 in stock. I preferred Croma because they had Space Grey in stock. Both stores were offering HDFC cashback.

Buying an iPad was quite an experience for me, and honestly, frustrating. The responses you get from some establishments won't make you feel like doing business with them.

Lots of click-baits too - advertise 128 GB iPad 8 and the moment you click it says "out of stock".

Last edited by Safety is Param : 7th December 2020 at 11:39.
Old 7th December 2020, 15:44   #578
BHPian

I am guessing we can get student discount (6% offline) + HDFC cashback both for iPads in store right? I know it works for Macbooks.
So if I want to buy iPad 8th 32GB from Apple reseller offline, I can get for..

29,900 - 1794 - 3000 (HDFC Cashback) = Rs. 25,106.
Am I right?

For iPad Air 4, it would probably be....

54900 - 3294 - 4000 (HDFC Cashback) = Rs. 47,606

Am I correct or not?
Old 8th December 2020, 10:54   #579
Senior - BHPian

Team, my iPad mini 2 (2016 model) started showing vertical flickering lines from bottom to middle portion of the screen. It started happening suddenly while the screen was on and plugged charger. I tried workarounds like maximizing the brightness to clear out any moisture, turned off auto brightness etc but nothing happened.

Is it a hardware issue or some software glitch. iPad was not dropped or faced any physical damage. What needs to be done to fix the issue?

The iPad Thread-20201208_104215.jpg
Old 8th December 2020, 11:11   #580
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Team, my iPad mini 2 (2016 model) started showing vertical flickering lines from bottom to middle portion of the screen.
Sorry to see that but seems like the display is giving up, you can try a restore and rule out a software issue. But doubt it. Have you done any recent OS update?

Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 12:56   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Team, my iPad mini 2 (2016 model) started showing vertical flickering lines from bottom to middle portion of the screen.
Does it only happen with charger plugged in? If yes did you try different charger and cable?

I had a similar problem with iPhone 5S when on lock screen it would look fine but when unlocked, the screen would start drawing these vertical and horizontal links like a grid and display would start fading. For some reason, after restore, it would not happen for few days and then would start again. I cut my loses and sold the iPhone to cashify (with the issue mentioned).
Old 8th December 2020, 19:47   #582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Sorry to see that but seems like the display is giving up, you can try a restore and rule out a software issue. But doubt it. Have you done any recent OS update?

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=nTJNvT58UEM
Recent OS update was done couple of months back. These days it keeps asking me to upgrade to iOS 12.4.9 but considering it's Mini 2, I don't want the device to slow down with OS upgrades.

My last resort would be hard reset but I doubt if that would resolve the issue. It indeed appears to be a hardware fault.

Quote:
Does it only happen with charger plugged in? If yes did you try different charger and cable?
It is happening irrespective of being plugged in or not. Though for the first time when I saw this issue, charger was connected.

Now I am not sure how do I proceed with this. I bought it in Feb 2016. Genuine LCD display will cost nearly 10k as per information available on internet. Even the counterfeit displays for Mini 2 are priced in the range of 2-3k.

The usage for the iPad was mainly for surveillance device, I connected my house's camera through the app and kept on my desk to see camera feed. Although in the past I used it heavily for movies, books reading and little bit of gaming.
Old 8th December 2020, 20:19   #583
BHPian

@bluevolt

Getting it repaired, especially at first party is not recommended. Too much expense, you may actually find iPad Mini 2 for 10K or less on Olx and facebook marketplace. May be buy one and sell this one as in on cashify or on FB marketplace / olx.
Old 9th December 2020, 10:51   #584
Senior - BHPian

Luckily and surprisingly at the same time, the display issue vanished on it's own from this morning! I noticed improvement in flickering late night and today when I turned on the screen, everything was normal.

Touchwood!

May be a moisture issue?
Old 11th December 2020, 18:50   #585
BHPian

Frustrated by lack of iPad Air 4 at Reliance Digital, was planning to get the iPad Pro 11" 2020 before I stumbled upon the AppleCare+ package. It is 16k for Pro compared to 6k for Air.
Dang. Wait for Air 4 continues

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks