Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2021, 07:49   #631
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The iPad Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Have you tried airplay to stream content from your ipad. .
Sir, you are heading in the opp direction. Not just my mum but even I am not too tech savvy. Not further down-stream integrations, but I was just trying for a simple media player arrangement on the iPad.

I did pick one of the free File managers, and the songs are now in that utility. Mum just has to open that and select the song to play.

Thanks for the response, though
Old 6th June 2021, 10:42   #632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Sir, you are heading in the opp direction. Not just my mum but even I am not too tech savvy. Not further down-stream integrations, but I was just trying for a simple media player arrangement on the iPad.

I did pick one of the free File managers, and the songs are now in that utility. Mum just has to open that and select the song to play.

Thanks for the response, though
I mean the speakers on that ipad are quite bad for any music listening so it was an attempt to make the ipad into a better listening device. So from what I understand all you needed was a file organizing app to keep all your music in one folder?
SPARKled is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 10:46   #633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I mean the speakers on that ipad are quite bad for any music listening so it was an attempt to make the ipad into a better listening device. So from what I understand all you needed was a file organizing app to keep all your music in one folder?
Thanks, @Sparkled. Basic usage. Not audiophile stuff.

As one gets older, it is better to avoid multiple systems, hence trying to keep it simple.

With the present setup of file manager to easily access the files - the ipad can be used anywhere in the house. And when in the bedroom, the dock doubles up as a better speaker.
Old 6th June 2021, 11:35   #634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
I have a 2nd gen iPad mini which is showing well known while lines issue and now has home button malfunctioning, I am looking for a good reliable place to repair in Bangalore. I tried an authorised place in Mangalore and they quote a price that I paid for the new 8th gen iPad last year. Any leads?

I wish to retain this hardware for online classes and entertainment during train travel.
Have you tried using Assistive touch option, you get a virtual home button. Also, its easier to replace a home button by yourself. Lots of videos to assist.
csnanjappa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 16:23   #635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Luckily and surprisingly at the same time, the display issue vanished on it's own from this morning! I noticed improvement in flickering late night and today when I turned on the screen, everything was normal.

Touchwood!

May be a moisture issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
@bluevolt

Getting it repaired, especially at first party is not recommended. Too much expense, you may actually find iPad Mini 2 for 10K or less on Olx and facebook marketplace. May be buy one and sell this one as in on cashify or on FB marketplace / olx.
Quote:
Recent OS update was done couple of months back. These days it keeps asking me to upgrade to iOS 12.4.9 but considering it's Mini 2, I don't want the device to slow down with OS upgrades.

My last resort would be hard reset but I doubt if that would resolve the issue. It indeed appears to be a hardware fault.

It is happening irrespective of being plugged in or not. Though for the first time when I saw this issue, charger was connected.

Now I am not sure how do I proceed with this. I bought it in Feb 2016. Genuine LCD display will cost nearly 10k as per information available on internet. Even the counterfeit displays for Mini 2 are priced in the range of 2-3k.

The usage for the iPad was mainly for surveillance device, I connected my house's camera through the app and kept on my desk to see camera feed. Although in the past I used it heavily for movies, books reading and little bit of gaming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Does it only happen with charger plugged in? If yes did you try different charger and cable?

I had a similar problem with iPhone 5S when on lock screen it would look fine but when unlocked, the screen would start drawing these vertical and horizontal links like a grid and display would start fading. For some reason, after restore, it would not happen for few days and then would start again. I cut my loses and sold the iPhone to cashify (with the issue mentioned).
Quote:
Team, my iPad mini 2 (2016 model) started showing vertical flickering lines from bottom to middle portion of the screen. It started happening suddenly while the screen was on and plugged charger. I tried workarounds like maximizing the brightness to clear out any moisture, turned off auto brightness etc but nothing happened.

Is it a hardware issue or some software glitch. iPad was not dropped or faced any physical damage. What needs to be done to fix the issue?

Attachment 2090380

Same issue is back and now is consistent unlike last time when issue vanished on it's own. I am thinking of getting iPad repaired as I don't want to get a new one/used etc.

Which will be the best place in Delhi to get it repaired (preferably north Delhi)? any online leads?
Old 9th July 2021, 17:06   #636
BANNED

My iPad Mini3 turned 6 and doing reasonably with a cracked screen and few dents on it.
For last 1 and half year my son uses it for his online school classes, as the home laptop I have is too bulky and sluggish. Hence, I am thinking of upgrading the iPad to a newer version with recent iOS.I am confused between iPad 8 and iPad Air 4.

iPad 8:
A12 chip would be enough for the school use and my occasional use for content consumption. 128 GB along with smart keyboard, it would cost way less than Air 4. But I am a bit apprehensive on the 1.3 mediocre front camera for the MS Team classes. Unfortunately, it looks exactly same as iPad 2.

iPad Air4:
Looks stunning and modern with a marginally improved screen and a 7 MP front camera. But the 64 GB variant costs almost double to the iPad8. Does it make sense to go for the Air 4 over the iPad 8 at this moment?

I know Air4 support pencil 2, but at std 2, my kid has not use of a pencil at this moment. In fact, though looks awkward, iPad 8 can support pencil 1.

Anyone has any experience with Logitech Folio series keyboard/case for the iPad? Are they recommended against the apple keyboards?
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 17:28   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
My iPad Mini3 turned 6 and doing reasonably with a cracked screen and few dents on it.
For last 1 and half year my son uses it for his online school classes, as the home laptop I have is too bulky and sluggish. Hence, I am thinking of upgrading the iPad to a newer version with recent iOS.I am confused between iPad 8 and iPad Air 4.

iPad 8:
A12 chip would be enough for the school use and my occasional use for content consumption. 128 GB along with smart keyboard, it would cost way less than Air 4. But I am a bit apprehensive on the 1.3 mediocre front camera for the MS Team classes. Unfortunately, it looks exactly same as iPad 2.

iPad Air4:
Looks stunning and modern with a marginally improved screen and a 7 MP front camera. But the 64 GB variant costs almost double to the iPad8. Does it make sense to go for the Air 4 over the iPad 8 at this moment?

I know Air4 support pencil 2, but at std 2, my kid has not use of a pencil at this moment. In fact, though looks awkward, iPad 8 can support pencil 1.

Anyone has any experience with Logitech Folio series keyboard/case for the iPad? Are they recommended against the apple keyboards?
I purchased iPad 8 for my kid's online school that also uses MS Teams. It works just fine. No complaints at all, including the video quality with that camera. My kid also play a lot of games on this iPad and also a lot of Youtube stuff. Its been a year and again no complaints at all.

I also bought Apple pen, huge mistake and it is useless thing and also expensive. Not just my kid, I also have not used it for anything for more than 10 minutes till date. Its just not needed, unless you like and are going to use pen input a lot.

Another mistake was with Logitech folio keyword, that damn thing never worked perfectly till date. First it doesn't get recognized/paired sometimes. I also replaced a battery but that did not help either. Its a waste of money. Kids dont need it because for online school , they dont need to type much anyway. Onscreen keyword works just fine.

So If I were to order iPad for online school, I would go for iPad 8 ,128GB and smart cover. Nothing else.

But if money was no problem , for school and everything else and for long term, I would go for the recent iMac 24".
hondafanboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 17:40   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Hence, I am thinking of upgrading the iPad to a newer version with recent iOS. I am confused between iPad 8 and iPad Air 4.
According to some reports, Apple is planning to release the iPad 9 with A13 Chip and 64GB base storage in September along with iphone 13. It is rumoured to have a bigger 10.5" display and improved cameras based on the older ipad air 3 design which means it'll be lighter too. So it makes sense to wait for a few months instead of buying the iPad 8. Also there might be festive offers at that time in case you want the iPad air 4.
CarNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 22:24   #639

My 3 month old iPad Pro 11 inch 128 GB WiFi model stopped charging. I had hardly used it for 10 days as I was out of action due to Covid. Now, when I took it to IPlanet in Bangalore, they took 5 days to diagnose and first informed that it charges intermittently and will send to the Apple Repair Shop to RC. But the next day they called and told they did some microscopic analysis and found rust and concluded that there has been water entry through the charging port and hence warranty is void.

I called up India Apple Care and created a ruckus, they smooth-talked me and wasted half a day doing this and that - escalation and used resources and pretended to help and even told me to go to the service center and call them back so that they could talk to their own IPlanet guys via me (what a bunch of jokers). And every time there was a new agent and the whole story had to be narrated back and after 15 minutes of holding, they agreed to talk to IPlanet guys (funnily they were the ones who suggested it). After talking, they said we can’t do anything as iPad repairs are not available in India and all they can do is replace it at a cost and quoted 49K to exchange it for an item I bought at 64K. I told them I will throw it into dustbin and walked out. Apple Care in India is laughable and nowhere close to how they do business in USA, although they charge the same rates or more here. I have MacBook Pro, iPhone, Watch, All of them work well and have endured abuse over years, but this time, I got a lemon. This would be my last purchase of Apple - it’s better to go with Chinese or Korean products. At least there are some repair jugaads and can be thrown away as initial investment won’t be much.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th July 2021 at 07:40. Reason: Typos
zincmetal is offline   (6) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 12th July 2021, 09:30   #640
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post
I purchased iPad 8 for my kid's online school that also uses MS Teams. It works just fine.
I also bought Apple pen, huge mistake

Another mistake was with Logitech folio keyword, that damn thing never worked perfectly till date.

So If I were to order iPad for online school, I would go for iPad 8 ,128GB and smart cover. Nothing else.

But if money was no problem , for school and everything else and for long term, I would go for the recent iMac 24".
Thank you hondafanboy, for your detailed explanation. The only issue my kid is finding is the way of front camera placement in iPad. I am also parallel thinking into getting a new laptop.

Thank you for your review of the Logitech folio, I'll keep my distance from it. Never am a fan of any of these sticks, they remind me of good old days of Nokia and HP handhelds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
According to some reports, Apple is planning to release the iPad 9 with A13 Chip and 64GB base storage in September along with iphone 13.
Thank you, but my requirement is bit imminent.

Last edited by PetrolRider : 12th July 2021 at 09:31.
Old 12th July 2021, 10:14   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you hondafanboy, for your detailed explanation. The only issue my kid is finding is the way of front camera placement in iPad.
Yes, the placement of the camera is making tough to use the iPad in landscape mode with the usual foldable covers.

We are keeping it in portrait mode, but the way the iPad is balanced, gives me jitters sometimes. Thinking of some iPad stand which can keep it place on top of the table. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th September 2021 at 21:56. Reason: Typo
Old 12th July 2021, 12:33   #642
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
Yes, the placement of the camera is making tough to use the iPad in landscape mode with the usual foldable covers.

We are keeping it in portrait mode, but the way the iPad is balanced, gives me jitters sometimes. Thinking of some iPad stand which can keep it place on top of the table. Any suggestions?
I am using a tablet stand, you may have a look here. There are many options available in Amazon and other e-commerce sites.
Still iPad has its limitation on camera focus movement.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th September 2021 at 21:56. Reason: Quoted post edited
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 19:53   #643
Senior - BHPian

Our first iPad was bought way back in 2013,
I think it was the ipad 3, 64GB, must have costed me around the 36k mark, if i remember correctly.

I have never used it for anything professional or personal, but my son who was just 2 years then used to enjoy videos and songs etc. My wife and I used it occasionally to see some movies. However in the last 2 years the battery has almost drained out and it does not even last 2 hours. Secondly, the. iOS updates have long been stopped for this model and virtually no credible app supports this device! I could not find a way to sell it either, I tried many websites, but no one has even listed this device! Finally managed to convince Reliance Digital and they agreed to take it for 4k, if I bought a new iPad.

Initial plan was to buy the iPad 8, 128 GB at around 38k, but the device looked pretty much the same as my existing iPad in terms of form, and it was a bit of a turn off. Plus, I think the iPad 8 is not far away from being discontinued, it feels quite outdated. So had to increase my budget and finally bought the iPad Air 256GB. I thought it makes sense from a 4-5 year perspective. Costs around 67k, after the buy back I was finally billed around 63k. Expensive, yes! But that’s with any Apple device these days! Since my 9 year old son is the primary user, I immediately installed a screen guard and a case, although I would have liked to buy a much more robust case in the long run, just like how we have otterbox etc for our phones. Maybe I would wait and watch since these kind of cases are not that easily available in India.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 22:55   #644
Senior - BHPian

Apple announces an update to the iPad with an A13 bionic chip, 20% faster with a 12 MP ultrawide camera.

The iPad Thread-20210914_224554.jpg

The new iPad comes in Space Grey and Silver for $329. You can order it today and it will be available next week.

The iPad Thread-20210914_224750.jpg

Apple announces the biggest upgrade ever for the iPad Mini. It comes in purple, pink, Starlight, and Space Grey with an 8.3-inch liquid retina display. It also has a USB-C port and 5G.

The iPad Thread-20210914_225218.jpg

The new 5G iPad Mini has a 12 MP back camera, 12 MP front ultrawide camera, and the ability to record in 4K. It also supports the Apple Pencil.

The iPad Thread-20210914_225223.jpg

All the new features for the iPad Mini. It costs $499 and is available for preorder today.

The iPad Thread-20210914_225150.jpg

The iPad Thread-20210914_225202.jpg

Source : Apple Event
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 14:38   #645

Does anybody know whether the new iPad 9 has a laminated display? I see that the screen size and the overall thickness hasn't changed, so I am guessing it is the same old display. If yes, I'd like to give it a pass and save up for the iPad Air 4.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks