Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2018, 06:44   #406
BHPian

Re: The iPad Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Has anyone got the refund that was promised during the Feb promo (valentines 10,000 cashback on HDFC in 90 days) ?
In my experience of buying two generations of iPhones using Citibank Cashback in two separate years, the promised cashback would be credited into my credit card account at the promised time.
I hope it is similar with HDFC cards. Your credit card statement should reflect this cashback.
Old 5th June 2018, 14:48   #407
Senior - BHPian

Got the cashback right on time in the credit card account.

An update: One day I found the wifi on ipad to be far slower. My android phone was having a fast connection from the same wifi router, but ipad had a very slow connection. When I restarted the ipad, the problem of slow wifi went away. So if your wifi is slow on ipad, try rebooting it.
Old 15th June 2018, 15:51   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
In my experience of buying two generations of iPhones using Citibank Cashback in two separate years, the promised cashback would be credited into my credit card account at the promised time.
I hope it is similar with HDFC cards. Your credit card statement should reflect this cashback.
Yes you are absolutely right sir.

Just received an SMS from HDFC confirming the cashback of Rs. 10,000/- and it will be given in the subsequent bill date, although haven't received the credit in my bank yet but the message came exactly 120 days from the date of purchase.
Old 6th October 2018, 12:52   #409
BHPian

I have an iPad 3 whose battery is almost dead. Also the speaker has gone kaput. I don't use it much, but my 4 year old likes to play games in it.

Apple service refuses to fix the battery, so I tried a local third party service. They are asking for 6700 for the battery and 3500 for the speaker. 10K sounds a tad high to spend on a 5 year old device. For a little over 20K, I can get a new iPad, but don't want to spend so much on something which only the kid would use/abuse.

Are there any cheaper fixing options available? And are third party replacement batteries safe to use?
Old 6th October 2018, 13:05   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I have an iPad 3 whose battery is almost dead.

Check on buyback websites like cashify.in or if there is a CEX shop which buys back old electronics and get an estimate on the buyback/resell price.
Then take a call, whether to buy a new one or get the old one fixed.

At the cost of sounding sermonising, get rid of the iPad altogether. We have a 4-5 year old iPad, which the 2 daughters were spending time on, when one fine day, the wifey hid it and told that I had taken it to office and would bring it back only on Saturdays, if they were good throughout the week.

After a few days, they got de-addicted, would watch TV for some time, play with toys, etc etc. As of now, the situations is such that the iPad is lying unused with no one using it.
Old 6th October 2018, 13:39   #411
Senior - BHPian

I have an almost unused ipad3 in Bangalore. We have no use for it and initially it was just the novelty factor which made us buy it. We will sell it off now.

Is it worth buying an expensive battery and rejuvenating it? You can look at the new ones I feel (in case you really need an ipad).

Quote:
I have an iPad 3 whose battery is almost dead.

Are there any cheaper fixing options available? And are third party replacement batteries safe to use?
Old 6th October 2018, 13:47   #412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Only 3rd party that may be trusted for Apple devices is ifixit. Here's the website: https://www.ifixit.com/

But problem is currently they don't ship batteries outside US. So, if you have someone coming down from the US, they may get it delivered at their local address and hand carry it for you.

Regards,
Saket.
Old 9th October 2018, 18:13   #413
Senior - BHPian

1. Would a 2018 version of the 9.7 inch iPad (A10 fusion chip, 2GB RAM, 32 GB ROM) be a worthy buy at an effective price of 20k?
  2. What would be the best diary type protective case for the same?
  3. With an average screen on time of 4 hours/day, can i expect a lifespan of at least three years for it?
Will be used exclusively for browsing and reading, with an occasional bout of YouTube. Planning to shift these duties to the tablet from my phone.
Old 9th October 2018, 20:05   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
  1. Would a 2018 version of the 9.7 inch iPad (A10 fusion chip, 2GB RAM, 32 GB ROM) be a worthy buy at an effective price of 20k?
  2. What would be the best diary type protective case for the same?
  3. With an average screen on time of 4 hours/day, can i expect a lifespan of at least three years for it?

Will be used exclusively for browsing and reading, with an occasional bout of YouTube. Planning to shift these duties to the tablet from my phone.

I bought the same model at launch, somewhere around April. The iPad costs more in other countries, I paid 22k-ish for it post student discount in Australia, and it still costs the same( but worse exchange rate now).
For your given use case, 3 years is easily achievable. We still use our 2011 iPad 2 at home for light browsing and youtube, although it is showing its age.
Old 9th October 2018, 23:42   #415
BHPian

Quote:
I have an iPad 3 whose battery is almost dead. Also the speaker has gone kaput. I don't use it much, but my 4 year old likes to play games in it.

Apple service refuses to fix the battery, so I tried a local third party service. They are asking for 6700 for the battery and 3500 for the speaker. 10K sounds a tad high to spend on a 5 year old device. For a little over 20K, I can get a new iPad, but don't want to spend so much on something which only the kid would use/abuse.

Makes no sense to spend 10k or even 5k on it. Best option is to sell it off for parts on OLX (if someone is ready to buy ) and buy a new/second hand one. About 2 years back I bought a lightly used 2nd hand iPad mini 2 for 7.5k and it still works fine on iOS 12 (though a bit slow) and currently being (ab)used by my kid. Today you may get the same thing for about 5k I guess and it would be much better than your iPad 3. iPad 3 maxes out at iOS 9 so many of the newer apps (or new versions of older apps) won't run on it.
Old 14th October 2018, 16:37   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Would a 2018 version of the 9.7 inch iPad (A10 fusion chip, 2GB RAM, 32 GB ROM) be a worthy buy at an effective price of 20K.
Well, it did make sense and I picked up one from amazon. Enjoying the experience of browsing on the large screen. No marks for guessing what it’s primary use is going to be. Coming from an Android phone, the interface is a bit rawish, but nothing off putting as such. Strangely, the icons and the backgrounds appear familiar because of the numerous IOS clone themes found and used in my Redmi phones. The monicker Chinese Apple isn’t a joke after all .
Old 17th April 2019, 08:33   #417
Distinguished - BHPian

I have an ipad air 2, a1566. I would like to snap on a smart keyboard unit on it. What do folks here suggest? Anything good in aliexpress?

Last edited by Red Liner : 17th April 2019 at 08:39.
Old 13th May 2019, 16:55   #418
BHPian

Need help with a pre-purchase query:

I am considering requesting a friend to pick up an iPad Pro 10.5 on his way back from Dubai. This model has been discontinued and the limited units available in India are turning out to be dearer by 13K so it makes sense to get them from Dubai.

I inquired with a few service centers and got a mixed response on the warranty. One of them was certain that the warranty would be valid while the other mentioned it has to be verified based on the serial number. I am assuming that a Facetime enabled iPad would have been imported into Dubai before sale so this adds another degree of confusion.

So coming to the unanswered questions:
  1. Is anyone aware whether the warranty would be valid in India on iPads which have Facetime enabled?
  2. Which is the best place to purchase it in Dubai, duty free shops, Amazon/Souq or any popular retail location?
  3. Anything i should be mindful of to avoid being duped with a used/defective device?

Old 14th May 2019, 14:23   #419
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMandarin View Post
Need help with a pre-purchase query
I was gifted a Dubai sourced iPad Air2 and one thing I can tell you for sure is that Face Time will not work as it is blocked in all devices in the UAE market.

People have some workarounds for it but I didn't look into them much as I am not a heavy face time user. What you say about a face time enabled iPad being imported to the Dubai market sounds confusing and shady.

I never bothered about the warranty and neither did I need to use it. Have been using the device for 3 years now. They're generally pretty reliable. Same as my gifted iPhone 6 (unlocked from US carrier then had another fix done to it locally to accept Indian SIMs) which has been working fine since 2015.
Old 15th May 2019, 11:31   #420
Senior - BHPian

My ipad3 was not purchased from Apple Store, Dubai - since I wanted FaceTime. Been 5 years now, no issues. I purchased it from an importer who gets his stuff from the US. Its common practice, so dont worry about it as you get full warranty - even in India. Buy it from the Deira/Burdubai Market, without fear. No fakes there. Souk is now Amazon. If the descriptor says 'Facetime Enabled', go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMandarin View Post
I am considering requesting a friend to pick up an iPad Pro 10.5 on his way back from Dubai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks