Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2017, 22:07   #3001
BHPian

Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
In a span of six months I have gathered most of the HT equipment I needed.
Here goes my equipment list.

Projector - Sony VPL-HW40ES
AV Receiver - Yamaha RX-A2000
Front Speakers - Klipsch RP-260F
Center - Klipsch RP-250c
Rear - Panasonic floor stander (200w from from old HT)
Front Height - Boston acoustics a25 (for Atmos)
Sub - SVS PB-1000
on your setup. Looks pretty neat.
Do you have a fixed screen or a drop down ?

Also what are the input sources for your media ?
Blu ray player / HTS etc ?
Old 12th June 2017, 12:39   #3002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Do you have a fixed screen or a drop down ?

Also what are the input sources for your media ?
Blu ray player / HTS etc ?
I have a screen that I did myself. Painted matte on the wall and put wooden strips for borders. Works pretty well and looks real

I have multiple input sources - Sony BluRay(US region), Sony PS3, Google Chrome and my Old Panasonic DVD player, all hooked up to the receiver.

Sony Blu Ray has NetFlix, Youtube and coupe of other apps as well.
Old 12th June 2017, 17:30   #3003
Senior - BHPian

Sound bars, which is the better one? Philips Fidelio or Yamaha YSP 1600 or anything else? Budget of around 45k, and do not want the hassle of wires everywhere. I am not an audiophile, so anything better than the stock tv set up should be good for me. Auditioned Bose sound touch 300, sounds nice, but I feel its very expensive. Any other options I have?
Old 13th June 2017, 17:59   #3004
BHPian

Planning to setup a home theatre and have filtered out Onkyo HT-S3800 and also planning to get a pair of Klipsch RP-140SA Dolby Atmos Speaker to complete the overall dolby atmos setup. Am I missing anything or is this overdose to the receiver I opted for. Need inputs from experts here. This total setup comes close to 70-75K. Any other options which can be considered in this price range
Old 27th June 2017, 15:26   #3005
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

I have an Apple TV hooked up to my home theatre system. Now, some websites have awesome videos. How do I play those on my TV via Apple TV?

1. Can I connect my Android phone to the Apple TV?

2. Didn't see a browser within the Apple TV menu?

3. Can I connect my Win7 laptop to Apple TV?

HD playback quality is important. How do I see website videos on the big TV? What's the best way to go about it?

Thanks!
Old 27th June 2017, 15:42   #3006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Sound bars, which is the better one? Philips Fidelio or Yamaha YSP 1600 or anything else? Budget of around 45k, and do not want the hassle of wires everywhere. I am not an audiophile, so anything better than the stock tv set up should be good for me. Auditioned Bose sound touch 300, sounds nice, but I feel its very expensive. Any other options I have?
Do not spend a lot. A sound bar is not a match for the home theatre. Get any entry level soundbar from a reputed company which has a good deal. I think with 45k, you must spend a little more and get the 5.1 bundled home theatre. or just buy 2 good speakers.
Old 28th June 2017, 11:13   #3007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What's the best way to go about it?
I have used Apple TV Gen2 (720p) and based on my experience, you can't do anything that you've asked unless the Apple TV is talking to an Apple device such as a iPad or a Macbook. This is the part where Apple screws you over and forces you into their ecosystem. Its no bad thing but can be annoying when you are in a hybrid ecosystem.

There is no web browser on Apple TV. You can't install it either.

There are third party android apps that allow the phone to talk to Apple TV but if you are thinking of screen mirroring, you can forget about it.

Website videos are usually linked to YouTube. If they are not, there is little you can do.

The fastest way to get this to work is to run a long HDMI cable from your laptop/desktop to your display or get a Google Chromecast. You can get the laptop/mobile screen mirrored wireless to your TV via Chrome browser. The latter isn't true HD though but works for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkikewl View Post
Am I missing anything or is this overdose to the receiver I opted for.
The Onkyo model you mention isn't Atmos capable. Don't bother spending on Atmos. There isn't much Atmos content out there. If you must take the Atmos route with some other HT model, all you need is a decent car stereo speaker to mount as your height speakers.

Also; you might want to consider Pioneer HT in a box solutions. Way better sound than those little satellite speakers.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 28th June 2017 at 11:28.
Old 28th June 2017, 21:16   #3008
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

I have an Apple TV hooked up to my home theatre system. Now, some websites have awesome videos. How do I play those on my TV via Apple TV?

1. Can I connect my Android phone to the Apple TV?

2. Didn't see a browser within the Apple TV menu?

3. Can I connect my Win7 laptop to Apple TV?

HD playback quality is important. How do I see website videos on the big TV? What's the best way to go about it?

Thanks!

I don't think Apple TV supports all of the tasks you listed right off the bat.
But you could consider getting a Chromecast device, its around 3.3k now.

It supports everything you listed, and they have documented it well here...

Additional benefit is you can rent and watch movies off the Goole Play Movies Store , even though you trigger the streaming from your Android device / pc, Chromecast streams directly from Google to the TV. Your phone is not used in the process i.e. in Full HD with 5.1 / 6.1 audio channels.

Their collection is better than Amazon prime and prices are on par or cheaper than iTunes movies.

Last edited by Fillmore : 28th June 2017 at 21:19.
Old 29th June 2017, 08:31   #3009
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
There are third party android apps that allow the phone to talk to Apple TV but if you are thinking of screen mirroring, you can forget about it.
I figured. Tried some apps that bridge Android to Apple TV, but the streaming experience wasn't satisfactory.

Quote:
get a Google Chromecast
Quote:
But you could consider getting a Chromecast device, its around 3.3k now.
Thanks guys! Done & ordered .
Old 29th June 2017, 09:39   #3010
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I figured. Tried some apps that bridge Android to Apple TV, but the streaming experience wasn't satisfactory.
One more app to try with Android and Apple TV is doubletwist with airsync. No screen mirroring but you can stream apps.

Quote:
Thanks guys! Done & ordered .
Please reconsider Chromecast. It doesn't support Amazon prime videos. If you want Amazon Prime content, get the amazon Fire TV stick for 3.5K with 500 Amazon Pay cashback.

It has a remote to do voice search and even allows BT speaker connectivity.
Old 29th June 2017, 12:43   #3011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Please reconsider Chromecast. It doesn't support Amazon prime videos. If you want Amazon Prime content, get the amazon Fire TV stick for 3.5K with 500 Amazon Pay cashback.
You are right Chromecast does not support Amazon prime, but then the Fire TV Stick does not support Google Play Movies either.

Between the 2 the Chromecast is a better bet because it can do more and has better content than Prime. Both support Netflix.
Old 6th July 2017, 16:00   #3012
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Between the 2 the Chromecast is a better bet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
get a Google Chromecast
Guys, THANKS A TON for the recommendation.

Chromecast is smarter than my Sony SmartTV . On my Sony, I used to use its 'smart' capabilities for YouTube (majorly), Netflix (the occasional good movie) and its pretty lame browser. My Sony TV isn't running the Android OS that today's Sonys are.

With the Chromecast, I can do all that, plus cast browser videos (just what I wanted) in full screen. Chromecast also has built-in support for Rocket Player (my music player of choice), the di.fm app, Spotify etc. But the ease of casting from the browser (whether phone or laptop) is simply unbeatable.

I also don't have to fiddle with any remotes. Just hit cast on my phone and the Chromecast triggers the TV to start, which in turn starts the home theatre system!

For 3,200 bucks, it is a steal. Loving it. Don't know if I'm going to use the inbuilt 'smartness' of my TV anymore.
Old 6th July 2017, 17:04   #3013
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, THANKS A TON for the recommendation.

For 3,200 bucks, it is a steal.
Haha, good to know you have fallen so much in love with it. I am a proud user of 3 video CCs and 2 audio CCs connected all over the house. We don't even use our cable box any more unless a live event is on.

One word of caution. Apart from the obvious pressure on your monthly download cap, CC also utilizes a lot of bandwidth even when you are casting in offline mode, e.g. casting movies via Chrome, playing offline YT videos or other generally playing offline media.

You will need a capable Wi-Fi router located near the main media setup especially if multiple users are concurrently doing such heavy stuff. Else, it tends to lag both in audio and video.

Enjoy your CCs :-)
Old 6th July 2017, 17:05   #3014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
I have the B5 with me. Any specific queries?
Old 6th July 2017, 17:20   #3015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
One word of caution.

Enjoy your CCs :-)
Is it me or has anybody else faced a headache when casting content from your mobile phone? I face this when the mobile is close to me and is in casting mode. I have experienced it quite a few times, I don't think it is a coincidence.

My old Philips DVD player and HTS conked off. I am planning to replace it with a basic good quality speakers for my TV.
I am contemplating between the F&D T200X soundbar and F&D T50x tower speakers. My requirements are:
1. Bluetooth connectivity for occassional playing from my phone
2. I will not be playing too much of music. I want to enjoy the TV content and Chromecast with quality sound better than the TV.
3. Not too bulky. I find 5.1 channel systems a bit of an overkill in my house. Am not an audiophile. For me clarity of sound is the main criteria.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by hrman : 6th July 2017 at 17:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks