Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2010, 19:46   #781
Senior - BHPian

Hey, is Froyo now officially available? Whoaa, I didn't even know that. Gotta update my phone asap. Hope this will solve my Wi-Fi issues also..
Old 30th November 2010, 20:16   #782
Senior - BHPian

Is anyone using a HTC Desire here ?
Old 1st December 2010, 02:55   #783
Senior - BHPian

Urgent-
Kindly suggest the best buy from among the following-
Samsung Galaxy3 i5801
Motorola Quench XT3 Android 2.1
LG OPTIMUS ONE P500

The budget is 15k around and considering androids only.
Kindly suggest any other touchscreen with android(if any) which is better than the above options in this budget.

P.S- the phone is for a girl who was using lg cookie 500 beforehand.
Old 1st December 2010, 05:22   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Yes the thing is that the phone is in immaculate condition. There is not even a hit of scratch and even the plastic cover on both sides doesnt look like has NOT been removed and then put back again. Thats why i am in two minds whether to go for exchange with additional headache of waiting for re-delivery. or live with this.
I would not go for exchange in any case, the phone works fine and i am in no mood to fight again for re-delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
I don't know about Futurebaazar's risk, but you definitely will be taking a risk. You cannot know for sure what has happened with the phone. New means new... it should not even have been touched by anyone until you open the box. If I were you, I would promptly return it without even half a thought.

It reflects very badly on Futurebaazar to send such a phone to their customers. I'd keep away from them too... at least for such items.
it would be a pain to get another phone, and equally painful to get refund.
I am keeping the phone, hoping it works fine.

Harry10: you can go with Galaxy3 as its been on the market for quite long with lots of users, it is also getting froyo update soon, and people who hate this phone are most who compare a 11.5K phone with a 28k galaxy S, so on this budget i think Galaxy 3 is the smartest, cheapest and most widely used Android.

Secondly LG one has been recently launched, you never know what hidden surprise it may have, so it better to go with majority if you want lesser pain.
Lastly, Don't ever buy it from futurebazaar, use any online store or buy from a nearest samsung store to be on a safer side.
Old 1st December 2010, 06:59   #785
Senior - BHPian

i just got Galaxy S (Captivate) and wi-fi is having trouble.

i connected to home network, entered passcode and successfully joins. but on opening the browser, no website is opening. says check your internet. works good on 3G. device is just couple of hours old.

what to do?
Old 1st December 2010, 08:18   #786
BHPian

Go to Wi-Fi Settings-Advanced-tick the "use static IP" and enter the IP address and other details for your network and save. It will connect promptly. Face the same issue with my Spica. Think its due to the type of the wi-Fi router.

-Rohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
i just got Galaxy S (Captivate) and wi-fi is having trouble.

i connected to home network, entered passcode and successfully joins. but on opening the browser, no website is opening. says check your internet. works good on 3G. device is just couple of hours old.

what to do?
Old 1st December 2010, 09:02   #787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
Go to Wi-Fi Settings-Advanced-tick the "use static IP" and enter the IP address and other details for your network and save. It will connect promptly. Face the same issue with my Spica. Think its due to the type of the wi-Fi router.

-Rohit
thanks that worked. had to restart the phone after doing this to get it working. i am worried about dynamic IP addresses. Hope its not a deal breaker.
Old 1st December 2010, 12:05   #788
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know how to disable EDGE on the Samsung Galaxy 3 ?
It keeps syncing applications with net, even when i don't want.
If i play Angry birds the application tries to access the ultra slow EDGE to fetch google ads, which results in choppy performance during game.

If i disable "all wireless connections" (flight mode) to disable EDGE i cannot make any call also.
Old 1st December 2010, 12:12   #789
BHPian

Quote:
Try using APN on/off wiglet

else

Change the APN name in wireless settings -> mobile networks
Whenever u want EDGE, change it back to original.
Old 1st December 2010, 12:24   #790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
it would be a pain to get another phone, and equally painful to get refund.
I am keeping the phone, hoping it works fine.
[
It will be a much bigger pain if you have issues later. Anyway, its your call. Have you at least checked if the battery/other accessories are original and new?

Anyway, g'luck with your new phone.
Old 1st December 2010, 12:37   #791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It keeps syncing applications with net, even when i don't want.
If i play Angry birds the application tries to access the ultra slow EDGE to fetch google ads, which results in choppy performance during game.

If i disable "all wireless connections" (flight mode) to disable EDGE i cannot make any call also.

in the galaxy S, you have an option to disable background data. So i guess it should be present in he 3 too. Disable that, and all background data sync will stop. But some apps like the android market need it, so u'll have to enable it again later.
Old 1st December 2010, 12:45   #792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Urgent-
Kindly suggest the best buy from among the following-
Samsung Galaxy3 i5801
Motorola Quench XT3 Android 2.1
LG OPTIMUS ONE P500

The budget is 15k around and considering androids only.
Kindly suggest any other touchscreen with android(if any) which is better than the above options in this budget.

P.S- the phone is for a girl who was using lg cookie 500 beforehand.

go for LG OPTIMUS ONE P500
android 2.2
great battery back up, call performance , stable hardware
price is around 12-13k
Old 1st December 2010, 14:06   #793
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I managed to install Lotus Sametime client in my SE xperia X10 mini pro. Though I can sign in and see all online people, I'm unable to type anything or chat with them.
I'm yet to see whether someone can initiate the chat with me when I'm signed on to sametime through my droid.

But has anyone tried it and has it worked? Is it an issue only with 2.1 or only with SE? Has anyone tried installing sametime in their devices?
Old 1st December 2010, 14:14   #794
BHPian

Hello,

Can someone please shed some light on a-gps?

Iam using the Samsung galaxy 3 (android 2.1). It has the a-gps facility inbuilt. I have been able to lock onto a satellite initially but for the past month or so its not been happening.

Isn't a-gps network independent and a free service?

I have installed the waze navigation app. The app too pops a message saying no satellite found and ensure that i am outdoor.

Is it some issue with the handset?
Old 1st December 2010, 14:24   #795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
Hello,

Can someone please shed some light on a-gps?

Iam using the Samsung galaxy 3 (android 2.1). It has the a-gps facility inbuilt. I have been able to lock onto a satellite initially but for the past month or so its not been happening.

Isn't a-gps network independent and a free service?

I have installed the waze navigation app. The app too pops a message saying no satellite found and ensure that i am outdoor.

Is it some issue with the handset?
Galaxy 3 has a GPS hardware with A-GPS support which can help in getting satellite lock faster. But if you are using indoors, only A-GPS can be used and in case of apps like Waze, it relies only on the GPS hardware. Try google maps and see whether the lock is achieved or not.

Most Viewed