Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2011, 21:11   #1921
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
unrelated question. I am seeing more and more phones without tactile keyboards. why. I too (like my wife) find tactile keyboards a must.

The Motorola Milestone is good.
I got one.
3.7" screen i think.
550 MHz procc [I've overclocked mine to 1.2 GHz without any problems.]
the only down point is the RAM. its only 256 MB....

I get about 12 hours of usage from one charge...

You can wait for the Motorola Droid 2 global.
Its got 512 MB or 1 GB of RAM [not sure] and a 1.2 GHz qualcomm procc. [I think it's dual core as well]

one more downer for the Milestone is the camera.
It's 5 MP, but low light shooting even with the flash is quite bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Not really. There are 2 kinds of routing available
For LG Optimus, you get NDRIVE maps.
These maps are offline, and I have seen that route calculation takes less than a few seconds in Delhi.
then you have google maps which require GPRS access. I think routing there is actually done via online service.

That said, most Car GPS systems you see run 300-500MHz old gen processors(Tom Tom/Mio/Garmin etc.,) and in the west with complex freeway system and local streets, they manage just fine.

From a GPS point of view, LG does make sense, because you get N-Drive for free.Of course, if you want map updates after 3 months, you would require to pay.
I am not very clear whether the software has a hard switch which would make it stop working after trial period, or maybe only I won't get updated maps after 1 year.

I am not aware if Samsung bundles any mapping app with the phone. On any phone you can buy Sygic maps with mapmyindia database for 1900rs (E-download)

For navigation, try out Maverick [Android Market]
It's free and lets you access several different Map services.
OVI, OSM, GMaps, Bing Maps to name a few.

it says you can cache maps as well, not figured out that as yet.

Last edited by Sprucegoose : 18th February 2011 at 21:16.
Old 18th February 2011, 23:05   #1922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
So what do you suggest?
I am planning on buying either of the two i.e. LG Optimus 1 or Samsung Galaxy ace this weekend.
Quote:
Guys,
Finally took the plunge and bought a Samsung Galaxy ACE from Alfa for Rs 14500 with B&W ( The same was also available for Rs 12000 without B&W).
Looks good. Comes with two back covers i.e. one black and one white apart from a brown leather cover for the cellphone.

Will provide a complete feedback next week once my data plan has been activated.
I am late to reply but i would have suggested the same "Go for Ace". Also if P500 can run 2.3 then i think Ace should also be able to do the same (My personal view).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Could you please provide some links for this news? If so, this would be a big thumbs up for LG P500, if it can be updated with gingerbread. But is the existing hardware sufficient to take care of this upgrade?
Already provided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
good write up. Yeah i think anything over 3.5" will push the price closer to or over 20k. Did you look at the Moto Defy as well? I really want someone to compare these 2 phones.
Never liked Moto phone's so did not even consider before buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
Has anyone got samsung ace, I am planing to get it for my wife.
There are atlest 2 persons who Ace now. I also have bought the same for my wife and she is very much happy.
Old 19th February 2011, 00:15   #1923
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
For navigation, try out Maverick [Android Market]
It's free and lets you access several different Map services.
OVI, OSM, GMaps, Bing Maps to name a few.

it says you can cache maps as well, not figured out that as yet.
No its not free. Free version is feature limited.
There are totally free apps out there like oruxmaps/Androzic which let you get offline maps via Mobile atlas creator, and also let you do waypoint and track navigation etc.,
I am currently on Androzic and Oruxmaps, and am evaluating both of the. Will decide on one of them eventually.
Old 19th February 2011, 00:45   #1924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
I am in the lookout for a phone with 4" screen, 1GHz processor, Divx/Xvid playback and Flash support running Froyo and the only option available now is HTC Desire HD. This model has a very bad reputation for Battery life and is understandable given a 1230mah battery. So there comes my another requirement that the phone should have minimum 1500mah battery.
I am using desire HD for some time now and I have been enjoying a 1.5 day battery life per charge which in my opinion is more than sufficient for a 4.3 SLCD touch screen smart phone.

Please don't go by the mah No alone. This is an excellent phone and I would buy it if I were you.

The screen is big and takes a day or two to get used to it.
Old 19th February 2011, 07:41   #1925
BHPian

Guys, I purchased a new LG Optimus one about a month back with an airtel connection.

The phone is awesome, but it gets disconnected from internet very very frequently. I am assuming its an Airtel problem. When it works, the speed is very good.

Is there any setting?

Also, how do I overclock the cpu? Not that I need it, but just wondering how to do it!!!

Thanks.
Old 19th February 2011, 07:47   #1926
BHPian

Samsung Galaxy Ace

Quote:
Guys,
Finally took the plunge and bought a Samsung Galaxy ACE from Alfa for Rs 14500 with B&W
Congratulations !
And welcome to the world of unlimited possibilities by way of Android.

BTW have you seen specs closely , can you share how much is RAM ?
thanks

Cheers
Old 19th February 2011, 11:15   #1927
BHPian

so it looks like Samsung Ace is the phone to get here. Is the contact list on it integrated with social networks like some of the other phones?
Old 19th February 2011, 13:48   #1928
BHPian

Today morning my Moto XT3 has got some serious problem, it was not showing any sign of charging inspite of attached charger to it.
Went to the service station and they immediately replaced the charger with a new one, I was surprised to have such a good after sales service.
Old 19th February 2011, 16:28   #1929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
clevermax, did you root your desire yet? Is it still running 2.1 or moved to 2.2/2.3? If so, which ROM?
Not yet rooted. It came installed with the 2.2 with HTC Sense UI :P
Now using ADW launcher UI instead of Sense. Tons of ROMS out there and it becomes difficult to decide on one without trying out few highly rated ones...

I am currently at my hometown. Today I drove with myTracks application tracking my way through some local roads here. Just now submitted all those roads to Google Map Maker. Waiting for approval. This is a fun activity at the same time, we can improve Google maps to have more detail. Added one hospital, a school and couple of temples too, they all got approved within minutes

Last edited by clevermax : 19th February 2011 at 16:31.
Old 19th February 2011, 17:23   #1930
Team-BHP Support

Why not improve OSM, which is actually free. Even though you may improve google maps, all that data done with you hard work becomes property of google once it becomes part of google maps.
Old 19th February 2011, 18:15   #1931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Why not improve OSM, which is actually free. Even though you may improve google maps, all that data done with you hard work becomes property of google once it becomes part of google maps.
Well, I am updating Google maps because it is much much popular than other maps out there, and it has a tremendous potential, coupled with Androids and google's other software and devices - it will reach more humans than any other maps.

I don't much care about map information being owned by Google... I am only contributing to my local area so that it looks better in Google maps It has to have some landmarks, and some more local roads added.

BTW, Google maps is free to everyone right? I wouldn't have contributed if it wasn't free. Since I have all the tracks and landmarks information that I contributed to GM, I can add them in OSM as well.

EDIT: Had a look at OSM maps of my region.. It doesn't have half of the information and detail that Google maps have.

Last edited by clevermax : 19th February 2011 at 18:24.
Old 19th February 2011, 18:18   #1932
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Samsung Galaxy Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
Congratulations !
And welcome to the world of unlimited possibilities by way of Android.

BTW have you seen specs closely , can you share how much is RAM ?
thanks

Cheers
Checked through Task manager on the device, its 278MB.
Old 19th February 2011, 21:34   #1933
BHPian

Hey clevermax; how much did you pay for your Desire?
Old 19th February 2011, 22:59   #1934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
Hey clevermax; how much did you pay for your Desire?
Bought it a month back, and I paid exactly 22600 INR. Bought it from flipkart. Now the same item is in stock and selling at 21999.
Old 20th February 2011, 00:32   #1935
Senior - BHPian

Well I played with some Android phones yesterday at Croma to get a feel.

Honestly, I found the Optimus P500 a bit slow. And slightly confusing menu. Maybe it as my 1st go at an Android device? But the phone looked well made overall!

Samsung Galaxy Pop, the latest entry level in their stable was comparatively much better and had a slicker UI.

Was trying to look for Ace, but they didnt have it on display. I'm quite surprised to know that it has 256/278 MB RAM only? I though it was a competitor to P500. Then it should have atleast 512 MB? Can owners please confirm?

Most Viewed