Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2011, 18:40   #3286
BHPian

Re: Android applications (Apps)

Hello Friends

Here's my picks though not sure if someone has already mentioned them or not:

Application Name: Stupid Zombies
Application Type: Game on shooting as many zombies possible with limited number of bullets.
Size: 11.5MB
My Rating: 4*
Free

Application Name: Voice2Do
Application Type: Simple Voice recorder
Size: 1.22MB
Free

Application Name: WP Clock Light
Application Type: live wallpaper
Size: 200KB
Free

Last edited by saurabhdadhichi : 24th May 2011 at 18:41. Reason: Correcting Grammer
Old 24th May 2011, 18:52   #3287
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Guys finally some good news. Samsung Galaxy S2 is launching in India on may 25th. Launch event scheduled for tom in Delhi. I am just hoping they keep the price at 30k. Given that the Lg optimus 2x and Sony Ericsson ARC are priced around 27-28k, I feel samsung wont price the S2 at 35k which is being speculated by many.
My gut feel is that Samsung is going to price it over 30K,mainly because of its blockbuster specs including super Amoled + screen. But since I would like to be an end user for this product, would definitely like to have pricing lesser than 30K. Price correction would anyways also come after 3-5 months of the launch. My Motorola droid has already been giving me some problem so itching to get my hands on Samsung Galaxy S II.
Old 24th May 2011, 19:44   #3288
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not waiting for 3-5 months Sir for the price to come down. I have been itching to get my hands on my first smartphone since december 2010. But somehow it was a very bad time to buy the phone as new generation phones were going to be launched in jan 2011 and then came the S2 and I have been waiting ever since . So I am probably going to buy this phone at 30k +/- 1k. Anything more and I am going and getting the HTC Incredible S.
Old 24th May 2011, 19:50   #3289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak01 View Post
Wildfire S available at 13,999 on letsbuy.com .. I think that's excellent pricing .. many people were guessing it would be in the range of 16-18k.
It's available only in Grey Color at the moment. With coupon code, price comes down to 12,999 which again is excellent.
Old 24th May 2011, 20:01   #3290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am not waiting for 3-5 months Sir for the price to come down. I have been itching to get my hands on my first smartphone since december 2010. But somehow it was a very bad time to buy the phone as new generation phones were going to be launched in jan 2011 and then came the S2 and I have been waiting ever since . So I am probably going to buy this phone at 30k +/- 1k. Anything more and I am going and getting the HTC Incredible S.
Yes I also feel anything upwards of 30k would be too much to pay for a "phone", even if it is the mighty S2. In Korea it is selling for 550 dollars which would roughly translate to 28k which would represent value for money for this device.

I always thought Samsung brought down price of Galaxy S to make way for launching S2 at 28-30k levels! Otherwise why would they do that, given that it was selling fairly well.

I would say you should consider the original Galaxy S (with its SAMOLED screen) if you opt against S2 and start thinking about Incredible S. Galaxy S has more or less same HW and is even 3-4k cheaper. Or at the Incredible S price point, even the LG Optimus 2X is another excellent buy! We are spoilt for choices now
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2011, 21:10   #3291
Distinguished - BHPian

Haha yea thats very true. Infact I am praying that I don't have to make that choice. Not much interested in LG or Sony. So its going to be between HTC and original galaxy. But you are right, even I noticed that samsung quietly dropped the prices of galaxy by a couple of thousands. So I am expecting the phone to be under 30k.
Old 24th May 2011, 21:31   #3292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
In Korea it is selling for 550 dollars which would roughly translate to 28k
Please dont ignore the fact that India is not a free market like singapore/korea

Quote:
I always thought Samsung brought down price of Galaxy S to make way for launching S2 at 28-30k levels! Otherwise why would they do that, given that it was selling fairly well.
Agree partially its creation of space for newer product but also the product value depreciates over time due to competition atleast in case of dynamic Mobile Industry, which brings in every now and then new technology.

Quote:
I would say you should consider the original Galaxy S (with its SAMOLED screen) if you opt against S2 and start thinking about Incredible S. Galaxy S has more or less same HW and is even 3-4k cheaper. Or at the Incredible S price point, even the LG Optimus 2X is another excellent buy! We are spoilt for choices now
Rightly said! Choices getting better month by month

Last edited by saurabhdadhichi : 24th May 2011 at 21:35. Reason: Corrected the reply with proper quotes.
Old 24th May 2011, 22:38   #3293
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
amit - mech engineer bhai,

word of the day: Root + Overclock

I rooted the dellxcd35 using z4root. then i installed SetCPU. but its showing max of 600 and min 245.

i am not seeing and option to overclock it.
what might be the issue here?
Old 24th May 2011, 22:41   #3294
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
I rooted the dellxcd35 using z4root. then i installed SetCPU. but its showing max of 600 and min 245.

i am not seeing and option to overclock it.
what might be the issue here?
a. You now know that rooting does nothing
b. I used setvsel for the defy. for your phone, look up the OC guide.

Screenshot of SetVsel is the kind of stuff which setvsel does btw
Old 25th May 2011, 08:11   #3295
Senior - BHPian

The grand daddy of all android phones is being officially launched today -

Samsung Galaxy SII now available at Letsbuy.com @ pre order price of Rs. 32830
Buy Samsung Galaxy SII (Preorder Now) at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

oops... sold out as soon as it opened... this is the phone to have!!!
Old 25th May 2011, 09:37   #3296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Thanks clevermax. I was looking for a decent dialer to replace the default one that comes with CM7. This one seems to be pretty good, though there is a small difference in response times.
Yes, these apps are way ahead than the stock dialer and sms apps, but the response times for the dialer sometimes is little high.. no issues if you use it frequently though.. I love the sms app! Gives it an iPhone look.
Old 25th May 2011, 11:15   #3297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Guys,
I'm facing a couple of weird problem on my Galaxy Ace. Need suggestions:

1. The WiFi refuses to connect every few days. I click on Wifi button and it just displays error. No other detail. I'm forced to re-start the phone and then it connects. However, this has happened only thrice in 2+ months

2. I'm facing a 'phone memory full' error. Except for the stock apps, all other downloaded games and apps are stored on the SD card. What to do?

3. Just today, it started displaying another related error "Text messaging memory full. Incoming SMS rejected" I was reminded of Nokia 3310 days!

Is there a way to delete JUST the sent SMS/MMS from the Messaging list? I can just delete the whole thread it seems?

4. Juice Defender seems to freeze the phone albeit rarely. It happens like this - after prolonged period of inactivity, JD disables radio and data activity (indicated by a red circle on top right of JD logo in the notification bar). When I try to unlock the phone from this state, it becomes extremely laggy. Hence the other option is to re-start.

However, I wish to retain JD as it has improved my battery life *drastically*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Ah the JD dilemma. Better battery life, but at a cost! I'd suggest you get rid of it. How drastic an improvement are we talking about here anyway? A couple of hours?
Improvement is quite drastic. From a 16 hour battery life, it has gone to almost 24-30 hours!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
I thought SMS's were virtually unlimited in smart phones these days. Since when did it run out of space?

Your wifi problem could be a software problem. I'd do a clean OS install. You'd either have to take it to the shop with your problems so they'll re-install your Android OS, or you could custom ROM it yourself. I'm sure your bugs will be fixed. For this you'd have to Google and find decent tutorials and how-to's.
From where do I get a factory firmware? Or a stable custom ROM?

To do a clean re-install, I have to wipe the device right? How to do that without rooting?
Old 25th May 2011, 12:52   #3298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Guys,

Is there a comprehensive ad blocker? Something which can smite down both AdMob and whatever **** Airtel uses.

Basically, there is this @(*#*&@#*&@*&# $exyRacing ad which comes on some stupid applications. Now I dont know who/when clicked on it - I got an sms at a time when i was not even using the phone - but it got "downloaded" and I got a SMS from Airtel billing me for it. @(#@#

I want to smite all such ad-fart-ware out of my phone. First the apps do minimum work - then they bill you just like that. WTH

PS: The irony - short of asking your janampatri - they ask 3-4 questions before cust care talks to u - but for billing, NO click is required. Shameless cheats
Try AdFree Android. Works by using the good old hosts file. Haven't yet tried it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Read on ZDNet that Google is trying to stop rootiing. Apparently they are blocking access to to movie downloads to users with custom ROMs. Also, read somewhere that Gingerbread will be very difficult to root. So much for an open system.
If they do that, they will be removing one of the most important reasons to choose an Andy ph.
Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2011, 13:13   #3299
Senior - BHPian

i am running 2.2 froyo. so i think i should be able to install aplications on SD card.
When i go to Settings> applications > manage applications, i can only transfer some of the programs to SD card by clicking on Move to SD card option. However for some applications this option is deactivated.

Due to this now if i try to install any application i get a message no space for installation.

while installing any application i dont get option to choose between install on phone and install and SD card.

What needs to be changed/modified here so that i can install applications on the SD card?
Old 25th May 2011, 13:55   #3300
Senior - BHPian

Control your PC from your Smartphone over internet

This has been in my wishlist for sometime.. controlling your PC with your phone through internet over an edge data connection from anywhere.

Just got it working with 0 rupees spent on software! Below are couple of screenshots off my HTC Desire! (Some text have been removed from bitmaps for privacy reasons)

Name:  Unnamed.png
Views: 448
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:  Unnamed2.png
Views: 649
Size:  53.5 KB

Ask me how

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th May 2011 at 15:20. Reason: Please avoid teasers like this. Include the useful part of the content in the same post as well
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed