Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2012, 10:40   #7786
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
That's daylight robbery! Like paying Rs 500 for browsing team-bhp for a few minutes. Sigh, I guess it is better to take the old mobile phone for such trips and remain on free inward sms mode for the duration of the trip.

I guess getting a local pre-paid SIM with data will work out to be a lot cheaper in case one needs to use the smart phone. It is difficult to live without a smart phone once you get used to having one.
If you are roaming on ATT network, you don't even have to browse Team-bhp for minutes, the moment you login and logout, 6000 bucks is gone.

The plan suggested by @JMaruru looks VFM. Suggest you take a look at this thread where this topic is being dicussed extensively.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ng-abroad.html
Warwithwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2012, 10:46   #7787
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
then your android's GPS needs patching with stuff like [DEC.05.2011] Instantaneous GPS Fixation v1.2! *FOR ALL ANDROIDS PHONES!* - xda-developers

my Defy picks up 6-9m signal while moving in traffic at 15-20 kph within a minute!
I am talking of Assisted GPS and not normal GPS. I had a BB8330 with this only (no regular GPS) once upon a time.
Old 18th February 2012, 11:07   #7788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
A-GPS works by triangulation from the towers, so is never very accurate. 1km is a good guess (esp. on CDMA, may be 300m on GSM)
On GSM, the accuracy is only about 600 meters.
Old 18th February 2012, 11:42   #7789
Senior - BHPian

ah, here is my understanding:
Assisted GPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm talking A-GPS MSA, you're talking MSB.
Old 18th February 2012, 12:24   #7790
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys

I guess I was fortunate when I went to the US last year, as I did not have a smart phone but just a Razr mobile on a pre-paid Airtel plan. I used my newly-bought Garmin device for GPS navigation.

I did get a BB for official purpose on AT&T network, but the darn thing did not have a data plan. Though I work for AT&T, I was not entitled to any discounts
Old 18th February 2012, 22:51   #7791
BHPian

Just happened to notice this. Almost every mobile on Letsbuy is priced significantly lower than Flipkart and is accompanied with a freebie too
Wonder what the strategy is.
Old 20th February 2012, 08:38   #7792
Senior - BHPian

Finally got my SGS2 upgraded to 2.3.6 through KIES, I must say it has been a hell of a process. KIES is one rotten upgrading software!

Anyways, the only noticeable improvements are the better battery life. Also, why is the vibrating icon always displayed on the top now? It goes away only when I turn the vibration off in the settings. Earlier it used to be displayed only when the phone was in silent mode.

Google planning to release Android 5.0 (Jelly Bean) in Q2:

Quote:
Google is reportedly planning to launch Android 5.0 Jelly Bean in the second quarter 2012, which is nothing short of amusing at this point.

Google and numerous vendors are still struggling to offer ICS updates for their devices, so we can’t say were are too impressed and we don’t believe Jelly Bean should replace ICS anytime soon, mainly because ICS has yet to replace Gingerbread.

Most Android phones still run Gingerbread, an Android version introduced in late 2010. Even brand new phones are that are more than capable of running ICS are still stuck with Gingerbread and at this point mentioning the pace of ICS updates is a pretty good way to annoy Android users, especially if you have an iPhone or Mango device in your pocket.

In any case Android 5.0 should integrate elements of Google’s Chrome OS and Digitimes claims vendors will have a choice of using Android alongside Windows 8 in a dual-boot configuration, of course if Windows 8 is still around by the time users get Jelly Bean updates.
Source: http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/25...n-coming-in-q2

Last edited by _raVan_ : 20th February 2012 at 08:53.
Old 20th February 2012, 09:37   #7793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Just happened to notice this. Almost every mobile on Letsbuy is priced significantly lower than Flipkart and is accompanied with a freebie too
Wonder what the strategy is.
Beggar-thy-neighbor
Old 20th February 2012, 10:33   #7794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Android gurus, please help !!! Has anyone used an Unlocked Atrix 2 here in India? My friend bought one from US and everything is working fine but he cant get 3G sim to work It either simply shows as EDGE or sometimes 4G but internet is not working. Below mentioned are the details.

1) When phone shows EDGE, internet is working fine.
2) When 4G icon is shown, there is no internet
3) Tried using both Docomo and BSNL 3G activated sims.
Just putting an update on this issue. If it may help somebody out there with similar issue. The issue was that AT&T has disabled the network selection option on Atrix. So we had to manually update the XML files governing the menu options. For that we had to do the following actions.

1) Root Atrix 2
2) Modify the XML files and making menu option for 2G/3G selection to work.
3) Manually select 3G network

Thats it, Atrix got what it deserved
Old 20th February 2012, 11:31   #7795
BHPian

Got my Neo V on Saturday. Good service from buytheprice.com. Got the phone in flat 2 days.

Initial impressions -

* Screen is good, of course no match to Super AMOLED
* Phone feels good in hand, the size is perfect for people who prefer one-handed operation of the phone
* Overall operation is smooth. UI feels snappy with no lags.
* Back cover is flimsy, doesn't inspire any confidence. It is slippery too and a finger-print magnet.
* Timescape UI is OK. Lots of built-in widgets, but most of them not to my taste. For example, the power widget doesn't have option to switch on/off mobile data or auto-sync.
* The built-in dialer doesn't have smart dialing, otherwise the contacts app is great with Facebook integration.
* Many crap apps installed by default, which simply take up internal memory.
* Haven't tested the camera yet, so no comments on that front so far.
* Go Locker doesn't work with SE's firmware

Now the biggest surprise. My phone came with internal memory of 420mb. That's 100mb more that what is reported on all the websites. Out of 420mb, around 260mb was available.

Right now I have installed around 50 apps and there is 175mb free.
Gandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 12:51   #7796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Got my Neo V on Saturday. Good service from buytheprice.com. Got the phone in flat 2 days.
Is it the blue black gradient ? Because they don't seem to have any other color option.
Have you been able to connect to your home/office wifi network without any issues ? Does it have a strong connection ? Because i have read that the wifi signals are weak or gets disconnected often.
Old 20th February 2012, 12:55   #7797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_9327 View Post
Is it the blue black gradient ? Because they don't seem to have any other color option.
Have you been able to connect to your home/office wifi network without any issues ? Does it have a strong connection ? Because i have read that the wifi signals are weak or gets disconnected often.
Yes, I got the blue black gradient option, that's what I wanted. Letsbuy and flipkart has other color options I guess. You can call up buytheprice.com customer service and check if they have more color options.

No issues with wi-fi at all so far. Downloaded the NFS Shift data (about 96mb) as fast as my laptop does. At home I have WPA-personal and WPA-enterprise in office.
Old 20th February 2012, 16:25   #7798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post

Initial impressions -

* Screen is good, of course no match to Super AMOLED
* Phone feels good in hand, the size is perfect for people who prefer one-handed operation of the phone
* Overall operation is smooth. UI feels snappy with no lags.
* Back cover is flimsy, doesn't inspire any confidence. It is slippery too and a finger-print magnet.
* Timescape UI is OK. Lots of built-in widgets, but most of them not to my taste. For example, the power widget doesn't have option to switch on/off mobile data or auto-sync.
* The built-in dialer doesn't have smart dialing, otherwise the contacts app is great with Facebook integration.
* Many crap apps installed by default, which simply take up internal memory.
* Haven't tested the camera yet, so no comments on that front so far.
* Go Locker doesn't work with SE's firmware

Now the biggest surprise. My phone came with internal memory of 420mb. That's 100mb more that what is reported on all the websites. Out of 420mb, around 260mb was available.

Right now I have installed around 50 apps and there is 175mb free.
Congrats Regarding all those bloatwares, other than internal memory they also take a reasonable amount of RAM too. I rooted it on the second day and removed all those bloatwares Also, have a look at the battery calibration. Mine had an issue which made it switch off at 17-18% .It did gave me surprises at times. But after doing a battery calibration, everything was back to normal.
Old 20th February 2012, 16:48   #7799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Finally got my SGS2 upgraded to 2.3.6 through KIES, I must say it has been a hell of a process. KIES is one rotten upgrading software!

Anyways, the only noticeable improvements are the better battery life. Also, why is the vibrating icon always displayed on the top now? It goes away only when I turn the vibration off in the settings. Earlier it used to be displayed only when the phone was in silent mode.

Google planning to release Android 5.0 (Jelly Bean) in Q2:

Source: Android 5.0 Jelly Bean coming in Q2

Hi Ravan,

I have been a SGS2 user almost a week or before its launch date in India and to tell you frankly the phone that you are using is not good at all. What's the use of having a ferrari with empty roads but you driving it @ 40KMPH. Buddy this is my personal advice decision is your but do go through CheckROM once and root your mobile. These guys without any doubt have the best rom available in market for SGS2, you will feel the difference in almost every aspect of your mobile.

Only issue:- Mobile loses its warranty.
Solution :- If at all you face any hardware issue in mobile which itself is rare then revert to old ROM and you are back in warranty business..

This is just an advice.
Old 20th February 2012, 18:06   #7800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak

Hi Ravan,

I have been a SGS2 user almost a week or before its launch date in India and to tell you frankly the phone that you are using is not good at all.
Sorry but I did not understand what you are trying to say? Are you saying using SGS2 in its stock condition is just not good enough? Is rooting necessary to enjoy this device? I for one am enjoying this device in its stock condition. I do not feel the need to root it yet. I am just waiting for the official ICS update from samsung. Hope that will make this device more awesome.

Most Viewed