Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2012, 12:58   #10936
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Advice needed:

Yesterday, in the NIOC Monsoon Challenge event, I was track marshaling for point 10. However, around mid-day we were hit with Torrential rainfall there, and being in a narrow gorge, we were soon flooded, and the spot became a massive rescue zone, with a significant vehicle pile up and two tractors at work.
Anyways, to cut to the chase, I probably dropped my Samsung Galaxy Ace, while rescuing the vehicles / shoveling / wading in the mud (I don't really know which or when), and now need a new phone!

My key requirements:
  • Android (huh!)
  • Less than 20K INR
  • At least a Dual Core processor
  • Great Screen
  • Eminently Rootable and customizable (intend to root on Day 1)
  • 1GB Ram
  • In built memory is not a Must, External memory is a Must
  • Strong build quality. I intend to be in the muck in 15-20 days time again
  • High resolution screen (not HD)
  • 5 MP Camera of good quality at least, with LED Flash
  • Manufacturer Warranty not required
  • Shouldn't look like holding a Notebook to my head!

P.S. I can go to Naaptol or other similar websites, feed in my requirements, get a phone list and make my choice. So, that IS NOT what I am looking for here, guys. I am looking for some user feedback driven advice, which I cannot get anywhere else. Thanks.
Old 27th August 2012, 13:10   #10937
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Advice needed:

Yesterday, in the NIOC Monsoon Challenge event, I was track marshaling for point 10. However, around mid-day we were hit with Torrential rainfall there, and being in a narrow gorge, we were soon flooded, and the spot became a massive rescue zone, with a significant vehicle pile up and two tractors at work.
Anyways, to cut to the chase, I probably dropped my Samsung Galaxy Ace, while rescuing the vehicles / shoveling / wading in the mud (I don't really know which or when), and now need a new phone!

My key requirements:
  • Android (huh!)
  • Less than 20K INR
  • Great Screen
  • 1GB Ram

P.S. I can go to Naaptol or other similar websites, feed in my requirements, get a phone list and make my choice. So, that IS NOT what I am looking for here, guys. I am looking for some user feedback driven advice, which I cannot get anywhere else. Thanks.
Hi Roy,

Sorry to hear about your phone's loss! But I can imagine the thrill of the moment when you would be in the thick of the slush!
You can check out Galaxy S advance, and it should fit most of your requirements. Though on the price, last I knew on it was around 20,900 on ebay India.

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 27th August 2012 at 13:12.
Old 27th August 2012, 13:17   #10938
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Thanks Behemoth.
Galaxy S advance is indeed a phone I am looking at, and also trying to find out what custom ROMs are available for that and their quality. Cannot really digest any stale (ginger)bread any more.
The things I don't like about S Advance are it's cheap front key (Home) and the slightly laggy performance though that latter can be due to GB.
By the way, it is a available for as little as 18000 now.

P.S. You were SPOTTED today morning entering Building 8.
Old 27th August 2012, 13:50   #10939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Advice needed:

My key requirements:
  • Android (huh!)
  • Less than 20K INR
  • Great Screen
  • 1GB Ram
I can suggest MOTOROLA DEFY which meets most of your requirements but for 1 [ I have underlined that]

It is also Water proof meaning if you drop it in slush again, just wash the phone and use it - It is built pretty solid.

PM phamilyman, my guruji for more options, if any!!
Old 27th August 2012, 13:56   #10940
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Thanks Headers. Hitanshu was the first person who came to my mind, when looking for Android advice. However, I also know that he would probably only suggest Defy or some subsequent iteration.
I am not averse to Defy* at all, but want to know what the other options are. Plus, in this day, I'd love a Dual core if not a Quad.
As I said earlier, I don't need warranty and warranty-less prices are way lesser than those with manufacturer warranty.

Last edited by roy_libran : 27th August 2012 at 14:00.
Old 27th August 2012, 14:00   #10941
BHPian

Quote:
^^^ Thanks Headers. Hitanshu was the first person who came to my mind, when asked for advice. However, I knew he would only suggest Defy or some subsequent iteration.
I am not averse to Defy at all, but want to know what the other options are. Plus, in this day, I'd love a Dual core if not a Quad.
How about Xperia Sola. It has everything in your list barring 1GB RAM
Old 27th August 2012, 14:12   #10942
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Hi BHP_Maniac - Not a phone that I was looking at. Let me check it out and see how it looks and feels. It seems I forgot about the Sony stack entirely.
Do you happen to have any experience with the phone?
Old 27th August 2012, 14:17   #10943
BHPian

Any good call recording application for S3? Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 14:29   #10944
BHPian

Quote:
^^^ Hi BHP_Maniac - Not a phone that I was looking at. Let me check it out and see how it looks and feels. It seems I forgot about the Sony stack entirely.
Yes, I got chance to have a look at one recently. The UI felt snappy and I liked the floating touch part. 5MP shooter took decent pictures and I believe its same as the units which are being used in Neo V, Neo L etc. Moreover I like Sony phones for their different styling than the traditional Samsung styling with that big home button It felt good to hold. As ergonomics is purely a personal thing, I suggest you have a feel of it.
Old 27th August 2012, 14:32   #10945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, ParanoidAndroid 1.9x based on CM10 seems to take things even further with loads of customization options. I might instead try that first.
[JB:CM10:HYBRD] PARANOIDANDROID [1.992, True HybridMode, Size & UI on Per App Basis] - xda-developers

Anyone using this at the moment?
I am on this ROM. Everything works well and battery is pretty ok if not great. 3G and Wifi eat a lot of battery as always. BT also eats up battery. CM9 was good on battery if not for the WIFI.

Chrome does not work and some application struggle with the change in DPI. Its still three days old and i am giving it time till things settle down.

Everything else works and its smooth if not the smoothest.
Old 27th August 2012, 14:35   #10946
BHPian

Quote:
Advice needed:

My key requirements:
  • Android (huh!)
  • Less than 20K INR
  • Great Screen
  • 1GB Ram
20k or some more, have a look at Moto Atrix 2
It has a large screen and better battery backup with 1Ghz dual core, 1GB RAM
Old 27th August 2012, 15:13   #10947
Senior - BHPian

^ Thanks Hiren. I am looking at Atrix 2, and it does fit the bill mostly. It is available for 19990 online (with Coupons). This is one of the lead runners now, but I am also looking for user experience here. I just cannot trust reviews.

By the way guys, how is the Xolo 900? Looks to be snappy and a looker! I am willing to overlook the Lava aspect.
Old 27th August 2012, 15:17   #10948
BHPian

Quote:
^ Thanks Hiren. I am looking at Atrix 2, and it does fit the bill mostly. It is available for 19990 online (with Coupons). This is one of the lead runners now, but I am also looking for user experience here. I just cannot trust reviews.

By the way guys, how is the Xolo 900? Looks to be snappy and a looker! I am willing to overlook the Lava aspect.
Atrix 2: No ICS yet although it's expected by September's end. Totally locked bootloader, so you can forget about Custom ROM's. Root is all you can hope for.
Old 27th August 2012, 15:26   #10949
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Have been using the Sola for a month now. Pretty happy with it. Looks great. Nice screen. Decent camera. Awesome sound quality. Feels lightweight and I think can take a bit of abuse.

Major con I see is that the battery life is kind of average. Does not last as much as my previous Samsung Galaxy SL. And even if I turn off data/wireless/autosynch, the phone still manages to lose 20-25% charge overnight. Still need to find the root cause for that.

2-3 of my colleagues use XOLO. General feedback is that performance is 'great' and in all other aspects it is a 'good' phone. No major issues reported. Lava is just responsible for the marketing, they have nothing to do with the design or manufacturing as far as I know. But I believe there is some additional work on the andriod it runs to ensure that it works on the Intel Architecture. So not sure if rooting and installing a custom ROM would work.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 27th August 2012 at 15:31. Reason: Additional comments
Old 27th August 2012, 15:27   #10950
Senior - BHPian

^^^ I can't see a Thanks button on this thread, else I would have registered my Thanks for your post Athani. That pretty much throws the Atrix 2 out of the fray for me. I really cannot trust manufacturers enough to give me a Rom I may like. I repose that faith only with our Developer friends.

Guys - Anyone using Xolo 900? Specs look damn good and so does the price.

Most Viewed