Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2013, 17:48   #16531
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Any reviews of the Micromax Canvas HD?
I plan to gift it to my sister on this Diwali.EDIT: Just now saw Jignesh's post above. What a coincidence.
Hello dZired,

Indeed what a coincidence.

The phone (Micromax Canvas HD) is absolutely fine. I was really satisfied using it.
As I & Naveen mentioned above there are lucky owners of Micromax phones who face no hardware issues with phone during warranty period.

But the problem arises when the device goes kaput. At Borivali (Western Mumbai) service center the number of people visiting is so high that they have to stop issuing tokens at 2:30 pm (to attend the day's visitors by 6 pm).

I will also suggest you to gift your sister a Samsung / HTC phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Yes, I really agree that we are all lucky and have had no issues so far.Hopefully, they'll fix your mobile soon.
Good to know that you all feced no issues with Micromax phones. I once again accept that the phone is really good.

Also when we bought Micromax the risk factor was considered, but I was expecting trouble free ownership for atleast one year.

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 11th October 2013 at 17:50.
Old 12th October 2013, 02:28   #16532
BHPian

A lot of these mediatek phones ( Colo,gionee) seem to come with an audio chip.the Yamaha 168pa. Do these have good sound quality? Or is it just a gimmick?
Old 12th October 2013, 21:26   #16533
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Have a question about Galaxy S4. I read at some places that people are pretty pissed off with Samsung for bringing region lock in S4. What exactly is region locking?

Also it is being reported that Samsung has decided to announce S5 in January because of poor sales of S4? I am not sure but I do not see a lot of people using S4 around so the poor sales might be true. Just wanted to get opinion of you guys.
Old 12th October 2013, 22:29   #16534
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi Guys,

Have a question about Galaxy S4. I read at some places that people are pretty pissed off with Samsung for bringing region lock in S4. What exactly is region locking?.......
Region locking is widely misunderstood. For all new Samsung phones manufactured for a certain geographical region (tag found on phone/box), the first initialization needs to be done with a SIM card of the same region as the phone's tag. After that, the phone can be used worldwide without issues with any compatible SIM card.

The mechanism is to dissuade grey market sales (phones bought from one market and sold in another market that has limited/no availability of the device).

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th October 2013 at 22:53.
Old 12th October 2013, 22:54   #16535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
I will also suggest you to gift your sister a Samsung / HTC phone.
Disagree on HTC.

Their service is rather "sarkari" in GGN at least. You go, deposit it. Then you keep trying their phone number for around a week (or u just go after a week).
Then you get it - repaired just fine but with no clarity on what was really done. Motorola servicein comparison was super fast, experienced, wouldtell u the issue right there etc etc.

/i needed two warranty repairs for touchscreen and keyboard for HTC chacha. i find its quality suspect, except the ONE, which is awesomeness personified
Old 12th October 2013, 22:59   #16536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Disagree on HTC.
Had a pleasant experience with HTC service here in Delhi. Earphones of my One V were not working and I submitted them under warranty and got new earphones via courier within a week. Same happened for faulty data cable.
Old 12th October 2013, 23:18   #16537
BHPian

Anyone using Xperia ZL?? After using BB Curve 9300 for 2 years, I'm planning to buy a new phone now. ZL is available in ebay for around 27K, which IMO looks like a good deal. But I'm concerned about the battery, whether it'll last at least a day with moderate use.

And are there any other good options in 25-28k price range?
Old 13th October 2013, 01:37   #16538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neerajpv87 View Post
Anyone using Xperia ZL?? After using BB Curve 9300 for 2 years, I'm planning to buy a new phone now. ZL is available in ebay for around 27K, which IMO looks like a good deal. But I'm concerned about the battery, whether it'll last at least a day with moderate use.

I feel NoteII in that price is a good deal. There are a few retailer selling note II i 26-28k range. Though note 3 is already launched, note 2 is still a strong contender in that range.
Old 13th October 2013, 07:00   #16539
BHPian

Guys Xposed Installer and its modules Gravity Box and Xblast among the few are MUST have on Android. Amazing customization options!
Old 13th October 2013, 07:26   #16540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neerajpv87 View Post

I have the xperia ZR. its got the absolutely same specs as the Xperia Z. Barring the 1080p screen and the glass at the back of the phone. It easily lasts me the day. Its got a tremendous talk time backup if you see the gsmarena review. Plus it has IP58 water proofing. Very good phone I must say. Can be had for under 25k.
Old 13th October 2013, 10:25   #16541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
I feel NoteII in that price is a good deal. There are a few retailer selling note II i 26-28k range. Though note 3 is already launched, note 2 is still a strong contender in that range.
Although I'm not a big fan of plasticky Samsung phones, I think Note 2 is better built compared to it's other models, Isn't it? I shall check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
I have the xperia ZR. its got the absolutely same specs as the Xperia Z. Barring the 1080p screen and the glass at the back of the phone. It easily lasts me the day. Its got a tremendous talk time backup if you see the gsmarena review. Plus it has IP58 water proofing. Very good phone I must say. Can be had for under 25k.
Confused between ZR and ZL. I read somewhere that the big 1080P screen is a battery drainer, so kinda confused.
Old 13th October 2013, 10:40   #16542
Senior - BHPian

Exactly. Thats why the ZR is a great buy with the 720p screen which is super crisp.
Old 13th October 2013, 11:21   #16543
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly. Thats why the ZR is a great buy with the 720p screen which is super crisp.
Since the internal memory is just 8 GB, are you facing any problems? Read in a review that one will get only around 4.5 gb to install apps and all, and won't that be a problem?
Old 13th October 2013, 11:24   #16544
Senior - BHPian

I have had no problems installing apps. I dont keep music or movies on the phone. for all other things, not an issue at all. there is the slot for a card though.
Old 13th October 2013, 11:28   #16545
BHPian

Quote:
I have had no problems installing apps. I dont keep music or movies on the phone. for all other things, not an issue at all. there is the slot for a card though.
Okay. Then ZR it is ! Since I'm moving from a BB, battery life is very important for me. Charging once a day is okay, but twice a day is big NO. But the best price I could fine online was around 26.5k, are you sure market price is below 25k?

Most Viewed