Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2013, 19:28   #16951
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Hello Folks!

Looking out for a phone (suddenly!)

I am used to my Dell Streak ( 5" inch screen ) for past 2+years!
( this phone served me just fine - and died suddenly today )
Did a lot of modding/customROM antics & kept it fine-to-run till date.
Looks like it has developed a problem with internal memory - which can be corrected but, will take some time & effort from my side.
I have been using the Canvas 2 for the last 11 months. I was using a Sony Xperia Sola I bought in June 2012, which I lost in December 2012. So after spending 20k on that sony phone and losing it, I was in no mood to pick up an expensive phone so went for this Micromax model.

Over all I am a very satisfied customer. The RAM is 512mb out of which I think around 360mb is free for the user. So if you are a heavy apps user then for sure this will not be enough. Battery life is very good. With single SIM I can go more than a day with heavy use.

The only problem I faced with this phone is Mobile reception. It is perfectly fine in towns and cities. But when i go to slightly remote places the reception goes much more quickly than in my wife's Samsung. So if you travel to remote areas and villages then reception could be a problem.

At the end of the day its a 9-10K phone, so if you keep your expectations in check then its all well and good. If you have any specific questions then feel free to ask.

Last edited by mobike008 : 19th November 2013 at 12:16. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire long post as it effects mobile readers. Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 19:35   #16952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Folks!

Looking out for a phone (suddenly!)

I am used to my Dell Streak ( 5" inch screen ) for past 2+years!
( this phone served me just fine - and died suddenly today )
Did a lot of modding/customROM antics & kept it fine-to-run till date.
Looks like it has developed a problem with internal memory - which can be corrected but, will take some time & effort from my side.
a. That money gets you a quad not dual core. The Q700/Q800 series etc are good.
b. Considered windows phone? You could get a decent one in just a few thousand more. No more rooting nonsense.
c. Do read up http://www.mobilejury.com/reviews/sa...d%20You%20Buy? - they really don't mince words in most reviews. e.g http://www.mobilejury.com/reviews/sa...re-review/264/ http://www.mobilejury.com/reviews/la...r-at-8k/291/3/ they recommend http://www.mobilejury.com/reviews/la...ormance/120/4/

Last edited by mobike008 : 19th November 2013 at 12:14. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire long post as it effects mobile readers. Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 19:42   #16953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Opinion: Is A110Q really worth the extra 2.7K?
Note:
The difference is around 2k as per on flipkart might be lower if prices are compared from local mobile stores.

512MB RAM in A110 will be sufficient for normal phone use but in case of multitasking and gaming then it will fall short and phone will lag.

Still if you can extend budget then A110q will be future proof with higher capacity processor and RAM.

Quote:
(good job with the blog too!)

Ace.
Thanks
Old 18th November 2013, 19:45   #16954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

b. Considered windows phone? You could get a decent one in just a few thousand more. No more rooting nonsense.
c. Do read up http://www.mobilejury.com/reviews/sa...d%20You%20Buy? - they really don't mince words in most reviews. e.g http://www.mobilejury.com/reviews/sa...re-review/264/ http://www.mobilejury.com/reviews/la...r-at-8k/291/3/ they recommend http://www.mobilejury.com/reviews/la...ormance/120/4/
I got my brother the Lava Iris 504q. While it has great specs, my brother says it hangs quite a bit and the battery isn't great.

You're better off with something like the canvas hd, which is a quad core with a gig of ram and isn't that different from the canvas 4 or the canvas turbo. Saw it for 11k somewhere (either infibeam or snapdeal) today.

I also got a press release today from intex about some new octa core rubbish they launched. Dunno if you want to check it out.

Quote:
New Delhi (India) – November 18, 2013: Intex Technologies, one of the
fastest growing Indian smartphone manufacturer will soon be bringing a
revolutionary and ultra classy smartphone equipped with MediaTek Octa-core
chipset. Intex in its strategic tie-up with MediaTek becomes the first
Indian mobile company to offer this technology to Indian consumers. True
Octa-core solution by MediaTek is world's first solution for boosting the
power of a smart device and is set to be launched globally this week

Text Box: Expected features of the smartphone
Ø Dual Sim
Ø 1.7 Ghz Octa-core MediaTek processor
Ø 16/32 GB inbuilt memory with 2GB RAM
Ø Mali450-MP4 700MHZ
Ø 13MP rear camera and BSI/ AF + 5 MP front camera Ø Yamaha mobile PA with
1.2W output
Ø GPS, Wi-Fi, FM, Bluetooth
Ø Android 4.2.2 version

Last edited by djpeesh : 18th November 2013 at 19:50.
Old 19th November 2013, 10:10   #16955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
I have been using the Canvas 2 for the last 11 months...
Over all I am a very satisfied customer. The RAM is 512mb out of which I think around 360mb is free for the user. .. Battery life is very good. With single SIM I can go more than a day with heavy use.

The only problem I faced with this phone is Mobile reception. ..
Thank you for the first hand experience!
I have a friend across a few cubicles - he also says pretty much the same things you have said.
His usage is light - and he manages to get like crazy battery backup ~ 3+days!
@performance/ram/game 'playability', etc.. I agree with what you said - this is just a 9k phone we are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
c. Do read up ... they really don't mince words in most reviews. ... they recommend http://www.mobilejury.com/reviews/la...ormance/120/4/
aa. I did check the Xolo phones - but they do not seem to have backup on the developer community.
( just to keep the phone running closer-to-up-to-date as much possible, xda/dev community support would be good to have ).
Other than that, I have nothing against Xolos.
look pretty much similar build to the MMs

bb. Considered Windows phone, but, I would be getting better hardware in MM/Xolo likes Vs similar range windows phone.
( as this would be my /rugged/ backup phone to use - I do not wish to spend more than 10k on it )

cc. thanks for the links. will read up today!

Appreciate your inputs.
I would like to tinker with it some time later. (read: okay with the rooting non-sense and spending some time going about it - but only by choice & when I have time to do so)
Out of the box - it should be a good package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
The difference is around 2k as per on flipkart might be lower if prices are compared from local mobile stores.
Still if you can extend budget then A110q will be future proof with higher capacity processor and RAM.
I am getting Canvas A 110 @ 9K. ( Croma + coupon giving 999 off )
The A110Q is not available in Croma.
Lowest cost shows as 11,790INR.

Difference is 2.7K

But, I understand the future proof aspect.

Just one more question.
If I assume -
Canvas A110 -- up to date life = 1 year // end of support life = 2~3 years.
How much would you say A110Q would be?
( In other words - how much better is A110Q vs A110 in terms of being "future proof"? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
I got my brother the Lava Iris 504q. While it has great specs, my brother says it hangs quite a bit and the battery isn't great.

You're better off with something like the canvas hd, ..Saw it for 11k somewhere (either infibeam or snapdeal) today.
Thanks for the feedback.
No 8 processors for me - thanks
But, the HD deal you're talking about - seems interesting then!

EDIT: Just checked. It's still like 13K. would you have a sweet coupon code that I can use?

Thanks a lot guys!

makes the decision a lot "easier" (hehe)

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 19th November 2013 at 10:17.
Old 19th November 2013, 12:44   #16956
BHPian

Quote:

I am getting Canvas A 110 @ 9K. ( Croma + coupon giving 999 off )
The A110Q is not available in Croma.
Lowest cost shows as 11,790INR.

Difference is 2.7K
Last I checked in telephone shoppee a110q was quoted 10500. I think they are the cheapest. Other stores in Aundh were upwards of 11500.
Old 19th November 2013, 13:10   #16957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Last I checked in telephone shoppee a110q was quoted 10500. I think they are the cheapest. Other stores in Aundh were upwards of 11500.
Thanks Alto99!
I am getting the best price @ 10.8K (at the mobile store - online buying)
Could you give me the link to the 10.5K deal

If that's a "true" deal - I might order A110Q now.

Cheers!

Ace.
Old 19th November 2013, 13:18   #16958
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Alto99!
I am getting the best price @ 10.8K (at the mobile store - online buying)
Could you give me the link to the 10.5K deal

If that's a "true" deal - I might order A110Q now.

Cheers!

Ace.
I wanted to buy on Sunday but they did not have stock. This was Diwali in-store deal as quoted on Sunday. Today evening I will get new price and update here.
Old 19th November 2013, 13:19   #16959
BHPian

Hi friends,
I was curious to know how the integration of Hangouts with the native messenging app works, before I update the Hangouts app on my phone. Could you please share your experiences? Thank you!

Last edited by Top-Gear : 19th November 2013 at 13:43.
Old 19th November 2013, 13:24   #16960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
Hi friends,
I was curious to know how the integrtion of Hangouts with the native messenging app works, before I update the Hangouts app on my phone. Could you please share your experiences? Thank you!
Does it offers free SMS service or just replaces phone's default SMS inbox with hangout?
Old 19th November 2013, 14:14   #16961
Senior - BHPian

Guys I own a HTC One V for past 1 year, Now since the warranty is over I am planning to root the phone and thinking of installing custom ROM.

The only issue is that I am completely new in this rooting/custom rom business.

Please make things simple for me and help me step by step so that I can root my phone.

After rooting please guide me in same simple manner how can I install custom ROMs on my One V?

Any tutorial? Guide etc?

Please give link of latest and supported custom ROM for One V? Which version is currently available for this phone? 4.2 or 4.3? Can I by any chance get 4.4 on this device?

Please guide!
Old 19th November 2013, 14:23   #16962
BHPian

Quote:
Does it offers free SMS service or just replaces phone's default SMS inbox with hangout?
AFAIK, it does not provide free sms service, just integrates, so that you can send sms or message through Hangouts through the same app.
Old 19th November 2013, 14:36   #16963
BHPian

Quote:
Guys I own a HTC One V for past 1 year, Now since the warranty is over I am planning to root the phone and thinking of installing custom ROM.

The only issue is that I am completely new in this rooting/custom rom business.
Any tutorial? Guide etc?
Please guide!
I am surprised by the question since I thought you were quite a techpro - especially after going through your techBlog!

Anyway- all your answers here:xda developers HTC One V - Everything!

Cheers!

P.S. KitKat could take another couple o months - for stable ports further more.

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 19th November 2013 at 14:48.
Old 19th November 2013, 14:45   #16964
Senior - BHPian

One unsolicited free advise to people installing custom roms please take following precautions when you install any new ROM.
Please monitor the traffic for some time using tool like WireShark to make sure that new image is not trying to post some data on some server.

Recently there was an Custom ROM on XDA ( subsequently removed) which posted IMEI on a Chinese server. This has a huge implication for instance the owners of this database may sell the non-blacklisted legal IMEIs to shady people.

Steps to do

1. Remove SIM card and make sure your first internet connection is using WiFi through your laptop / desktop.
2. Install WireShark and monitor all traffic from the device for reasonable amount of time.

Call me paranoid but it is fully possible that some day while investigating terrorism related cases security agencies may knock door or totally innocent people just because their IMEI was used in a generic Chinese made device.
Old 19th November 2013, 14:54   #16965
BHPian

I bought a Lenonvo P770 for my wife, last Sunday. Oh man, the battery (3500mAh) is just awesome. Whole day of usage (Whatsapp, Email, FB, little bit of browsing) reduced it to just 80%.
The phone is fast, 1GB;
UI is good, 4.5" IPS screen;
Call reception is good;
Camera and camera apps are superb;
USB-OTG enables phone to act as a hub and read data from devices like cameras/mp3 players/USB drive;

Last time I used Adroid, it was in ICS. Jelly Bean definately has loads of features.
I bought is from Reliance Digital for Rs12699. Grey model gets a better back cover, hence it's around 1K costlier than Blue color

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks